bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

Reviews for Build-a-lot World

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jul 16, 14 12:34 PM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Build-a-lot World here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Build-a-lot World .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

senevabu
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Level 62

[Post New]by senevabu on Jul 26, 14 6:06 PM

[Post New]by senevabu on Jul 26, 14 6:03 PM
How do you get the Appeal to +100.

I got up to 95 and I see nothing that will get me to 100.

Help!!!!

I built 3 hotels, two in the middle right area.
I build the 3 grocery stores; 3 condos (spaced between the grocery stores); the Solar Tower with the Police Station next door.
Between the premier hotel and the Police Station first I had 2 haciendas (I got to level 85); then 1 hacienda with a Historic Square; then HS with Police Station; HS with a Bakery. Nothing gets me to +100.

Perhaps one of you moderators can answer this question because the only posts in the forum are mine!!!

Thanks,

senevabu

senevabu
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Level 62

[Post New]by senevabu on Jul 26, 14 6:46 PM
Thanks, but I no longer require help.

End with starting at upper left and work across to the right.
Premier Hotel; Police Station; Hacienda;Grocery store and Solar Tower.
Middle Right: 2 Hotels.
Bottom from left: Hacienda; Grocery Store; 2 Condos; Grocery Store and another Hacienda.

Appeal +100

senevabu

mamamaggie
Marlin
Marlin
9,501 Posts

Re:Reviews for Build-a-lot World

[Post New]by mamamaggie on Aug 12, 14 9:44 AM
The game play in Build-a-Lot World is the same as in other BAL games. You need to meet goals by building houses of various types, support buildings and so on within a time limit. In this game, you are traveling the world to build, although the first two countries look quite similar. Each level costs battery points which recharge over time, to play. You also earn World Points for completing a bonus goal and finding a World Gnome, who is truly lousy at hiding. This is a type of game I find appealing.

In terms of it being a Free to Play game, it is that if you can play quickly enough, meet the bonus goal so as to be able to convert World Points to money, and are willing to start with very few resources. If you wish a 'partnership', which appears to be a workshop or similar helpful building, it costs $19.99. You also can buy extra time and extra JumpStarts which provide you with extra resources to start.

I played 5 levels (not a lot, I agree) before I ran out of time. I am at least an intermediate player in this game, and generally last at least 10 levels on gold and do not run out of time until the last fifth or so of the game. For me, this game would be a money pit.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Aug 12, 14 10:42 AM
I've always loved Build-a-Lot games and was very happy to see this one come up, but I refuse to even demo a game that is set up to extort money from you with the lie that it's a free game. I guess that's the end of me ever playing Build-a-Lot again. I'm very disappointed with Big Fish for even allowing this.

[Post New]by lesloggerooney on Aug 12, 14 12:50 PM
mtvoyager wrote:I've always loved Build-a-Lot games and was very happy to see this one come up, but I refuse to even demo a game that is set up to extort money from you with the lie that it's a free game. I guess that's the end of me ever playing Build-a-Lot again. I'm very disappointed with Big Fish for even allowing this.

I totally agree. So disappointed.

[Post New]by lesloggerooney on Aug 12, 14 1:00 PM
To expand a little on my previous comment. I have tried the game but find the 'FTP' format extremely frustrating & won't be continuing. I much prefer to buy a game & play for as long as I like. I was really pleased to see a new Build-a-Lot game - particularly as BAL Mysteries2 was so similar to Mysteries - but then disappointed to see it isn't available as a To Buy game. Are there any plans to release it as To Buy?

[Post New]by byugem1 on Aug 12, 14 2:08 PM
mtvoyager wrote:I've always loved Build-a-Lot games and was very happy to see this one come up, but I refuse to even demo a game that is set up to extort money from you with the lie that it's a free game. I guess that's the end of me ever playing Build-a-Lot again. I'm very disappointed with Big Fish for even allowing this.

When I seen that the workshop and the sawmill was 19.99 each. I quit right then and there, I buy the build a lot games and I have all of them but this is ridiculous !!!! I refuse to play

Edited on 08/12/2014 at 2:10:18 PM PST

RuthieJo
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by RuthieJo on Aug 12, 14 2:53 PM
I flatly refuse to pay for in game items, when I have already paid for the game to begin with.

I also don't like playing a game where I have to have energy to play.

I own all of the other build a lot games, but this is one I refuse to buy.

zuix
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by zuix on Aug 12, 14 8:00 PM
I am extremely disappointed, if not downright disgusted that Build A Lot has turned out a "free to play" game for PC, and that Big Fish is sponsoring it.

I pay my $6.99 a month membership fee, and have all the Build-A-Lot games to date; I am a huge fan of the game. Now, I'm supposed to fork over $20.00 of real money for a workshop? That is beyond ridiculous.

If Big Fish wants to expand to the iPhone/iPad or Android market, I will excuse the free to play games offered for those platforms, because that seems to be the only format that hits the market for those platforms.

But, Free to Play for PC games? For people who pay $6.99 per game (as a general rule) anyway? Come off it.

Dissssapppppointing!!!!!!

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Aug 13, 14 4:19 AM
Since I love the BAL games and have every single one of them I thought I'd set aside my dislike of F2P games and give this one a try.

I am shocked at the total fleecing H*pSoft have done here. To summarise:

1. Your normal productivity buildings cost real money. The workshop $20, the sawmill $20 and there are another 5. In total, if you got all of them it will set you back some $70.

On top of this, as early as Level 7 it requires you to own a workshop. I can't see how you can get this unless you buy it for real money. I expect that in later levels the game will do the same with the other buildings. The game even cheekily suggests (on the buy page) "gotta have it" - no kidding because you can't progress without it.

2. On top of this $70 outlay, you also have to pay for 'jumpstarts' if you so choose.

3. The timer runs down very fast. If you run out of time you can choose to replay the level, but it'll cost you a lot of 'energy' or you can (unbelievably) pay yet more money - $0.99 to refill the timer.

4. The 'energy' runs down quickly also and takes a long time to recharge.

Come on now! I am so disappointed that I'm going to visit the dev's site and tell them. Surely, it makes more financial sense for a company to create a great game at an 'all in' reasonable price that will sell to the masses than create a vastly overpriced casual game for a few who are willing to shell out left and right?

Or how about the 'middle of the road' solution - make all 7 buildings available for a total of $20?

Such a shame, because if this was an outright purchase I'd have bought it without blinking and I'm sure many others would also.

ETA: Just wanted to add that actually you can build the workshop for free. I got somewhat confused with this new format. Even so, the game wants you to pay for everything -refilling the timer, buy World Points etc. I'll see how long I can play without actually needing to pay. The timer is way too short, thus forcing you either to shell out $0.99 each time you want to refill it or spend energy, which takes time to replenish.

Edited on 08/16/2014 at 2:13:49 AM PST

[Post New]by DMDOBR on Aug 13, 14 6:24 AM
I could not figure out why this game was free until I started playing it, You have to dish out $20.00 for the work shop and lumber mill and pay for all the other buildings.By the time you get done buying everything it would cost you about $70.00 and what a rip off. I have played all the BAL games about three times each, but this one what a disapointment. I only played up to the fourth level and once you had to buy all the buildings I immediately stopped, uninstalled the game from my computer and moved on the the next game.

zuix
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by zuix on Aug 13, 14 10:03 AM
I have to add another 2 cents worth here. The reviews posted so far make it apparent that many if not all of these people (including me) would have happily shelled out $6.99 for the newest Build A Lot game in the beloved series. Instead, we have gone away angry, frustrated and disappointed, having spent nothing. And speaking for myself, I am now completely disillusioned with Big Fish for sponsoring such a cheesy endeavor as this Free to Play game.

What a travesty.

Edited on 08/13/2014 at 11:03:10 AM PST

wxman77477
Clownfish
Clownfish
557 Posts

This is a Joke

[Post New]by wxman77477 on Aug 13, 14 12:49 PM
I really have enjoyed all the BAL games. I have them all. They are some of the best Time Management Games. I have happily paid $7 for each one, well worth the money.
It is clear to me that I would have to spend $100 or more to finish this one. What a Joke.
Please make this into a good TM Game that I would buy. I am so disappointed in BF for offering this Joke.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Aug 14, 14 1:58 AM
If Big Fish continues to back this type of game they will lose many customers. I for one am considering it and I've been a member for about four years. It needs to stop.

zuix
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by zuix on Aug 14, 14 2:53 PM
The Free to Play (FTP) business model is pretty obvious:

If 100 people buy a game @$6.99 each, that's $699.99. (Some of the proceeds go to Big Fish.)

If only 10 people out of 100 spend $100 each on a FTP game, while the rest go away in disgust, that's $1000.00 (Assuming none of the proceeds go to Big Fish, but Big Fish gets the attention to draw in paying customers. This is my guess but it might not be accurate - the game company may pay Big Fish some flat rate to have the game on their site, while when the profits soar, the Game Company claims all that.)

The more relentless the pressure to spend real money to advance, the more chance those 10 people increase to 20. Forget the rest. 10 paying customers versus 100 happy customers is worth it.

It's a better financial venture to gamble on the loose cannons who will end up spending lots of dollars, while the majority don't, than to plod along selling the game at a fixed price to everyone ,thus putting a ceiling on the income.

What's lost in the translation is the customer/gamer. The financial venture takes precedence over the presentation of a really good game - one that attracts a following and establishes a good reputation for the game company (and by association, the gaming site, such as Big Fish, that sponsors it). The majority of the people who have been alienated in the process of overwhelming the masses to get a few paying suckers just doesn't matter. This case of Buiild A lot World makes it apparent - Hipsoft capitalized on their "good game that attracts a following" and the ensuing good reputation. They used all that to attract the 10 out of 100 people who wouldn't be disgusted with their switch to FTP model, but would pay $100 instead. And why do we know this? Because Big Fish sponsored this game.

I have been a Big Fish member since 2007. I had been a Real Aracade (now ****) member, and switched when I saw that Big Fish was a much better game site: less expensive, better offerings, excellent customer support. Now that Big Fish has embraced the FTP model, I'll be leaving.

Edited on 08/14/2014 at 3:57:14 PM PST

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Aug 15, 14 8:04 AM
zuix wrote:

I have been a Big Fish member since 2007. I had been a Real Aracade (now ****) member, and switched when I saw that Big Fish was a much better game site: less expensive, better offerings, excellent customer support. Now that Big Fish has embraced the FTP model, I'll be leaving.

zuix wrote:I am extremely disappointed, if not downright disgusted that Build A Lot has turned out a "free to play" game for PC, and that Big Fish is sponsoring it.

I pay my $6.99 a month membership fee, and have all the Build-A-Lot games to date; I am a huge fan of the game. Now, I'm supposed to fork over $20.00 of real money for a workshop? That is beyond ridiculous.

If Big Fish wants to expand to the iPhone/iPad or Android market, I will excuse the free to play games offered for those platforms, because that seems to be the only format that hits the market for those platforms.

But, Free to Play for PC games? For people who pay $6.99 per game (as a general rule) anyway? Come off it.

Dissssapppppointing!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more!

Well, BF, are you listening to your loyal members, who have paid a monthly subscription for years?
We know you read the forums.

I will not download a game based on a lie. And yes, it is a lie. I've played these so-called "free" games before, and you can't progress without buying upgrades.
Is this the future BF? I find these "free" games an insult to your members who have been a member for years. (I have been a member since 2008). If I wanted to play this type of "free" game, I would go on facebook.

It's also a dangerous practice. I know you're not forcing people to play, but lots of children, (as well as game addicts) play on these kind of games, and can easily rack up £100's on buying upgrades. And don't give me any BS about an "over 18" policy, as most kids know easily how to get around this.

Once again, I am disappointed with BF continuing attitude to their members. Please feel free to ignore all out comments, as we now know you don't give a rat's behind.

JhnJcb
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by JhnJcb on Aug 15, 14 2:37 PM
About all I have to say is "I agree with everything that the people before me have posted."

I have hated the FTP concept since it first started coming out on iOS and Android initially. I'd rather pay my money upfront and get full access to a game than get nickel-and-dimed to death. This is now the second franchise I have purchased in the past that I will no longer be following due to this recent FTP trend. So much for my 6 years as a loyal customer of BFG.

[Post New]by camisinsanity on Aug 15, 14 4:43 PM
I like the game a lot. Its fun. The free to play has its issues. However the only issue I really have is that theirs no way to completely restart the game. Even if you uninstall and redownload.

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Aug 16, 14 2:52 AM
BF, we know you're reading this (as you always pounce on people immediately if they say anything stronger than the word poo).

Any chance of feedback from the comments made?

If I swear in my next post, will that grab your attention?

Go to: