Please post your REVIEWS for Nevertales: Shattered Image Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jul 19, 14 12:32 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 07/19/2014 at 9:56:10 AM PST

leacraw
Shark
Shark
14,048 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nevertales: Shattered Image Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by leacraw on Jul 19, 14 2:49 AM
I leave the in-depth reviews for those who do a far better job than I.
The first puzzle I came across is a 'duplicate' the pattern. Even though one would expect it to fairly simple I did not find it so. Since there isn't a skip option for this puzzle I feel frustrated
The game looked promising otherwise.
lea

addictedtofish
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nevertales: Shattered Image Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by addictedtofish on Jul 19, 14 3:05 AM

Edited on 07/19/2014 at 10:00:22 AM PST

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by greenshade on Jul 19, 14 3:39 AM

Edited on 07/19/2014 at 10:00:47 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jul 19, 14 3:48 AM

Edited on 07/19/2014 at 10:01:38 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 19, 14 5:01 AM
A Bit Easier, But Still Magnificent!*****
BASED ON DEMO
IN BRIEF
Not very interesting or visually spectacular intro, although makes a nice story set up for the series. Don’t remember that from first one.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Graphics look gorgeous, clear and delightful art, both in the locations and the HOPs. Music is uniquely lovely.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
You, your husband and your daughter are all “Travellers”, able to move between different worlds through the use of books. Daughter can travel with mirrors. 12th birthday, daughter first goes into coma, then gets grabbed into another world. Interesting thing, husband was actually useful for about 5 minutes, and in at least one instance, you get to play him.

GAMEPLAY
A good variety of puzzles, mini-puzzles (like inventory-assembled items) and HOPs. The HOPs are quite different from each other. All have morphing object in them. There are interactive word lists, progressive find and use, unique matching pairs, replace items in scene, and find pictured type of item. E.g. a flower x3. They will all be flowers, but won’t all look the same. There are some other nifty gimmicks in them as well. Some of the HOPs actually advance the story or provide back history as you complete them.

Other puzzles and general game play are much easier than first Nevertales, so far. But it still took me just over an hour to complete the demo. There is a handy interactive jump map with objectives available and completed scenes, a journal with notes, achievements and objective list. Hint is directional. 3 levels of difficulty plus custom. Aspect correction. 4 sound sliders. Lockable inventory bar. Game timer.

A couple of extras. Alice’s dollhouse has lost its rooms. You find them as you play. They are her means of communicating with you.

CE BLING!
A lot of collectible book symbols, one per location, and there is an indicator for them, plus morphing items in the HOPs. The gallery includes 20 wallpapers, roughly, and about 14 ‘before and after’ concept art sketches. There are 10 musical tracks.

Additional gameplay includes 17 HOPs which you unlock as you play them. There is also a treasure hunt game to ensure you have all the collectibles, and a Tower Defence game. Plus, the usual bonus chapter and hidden chapters opened when you have played the treasure hunt game.

There are achievements, which can be accessed through the journal, and cover performance and story.

COMBINED IMPACT
This game isn’t blowing me away as much as the first one did, but, to me, it is still better because it is easier to play. I found the first one a bit tough, which detracted from my enjoyment. I think this is an extraordinarily good game, and with so many extras, I wouldn’t dream of buying anything other than the CE.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Jul 19, 14 9:12 AM
I'll leave the reviews to those who do it much better. My one comment is that I hope that the predominant color does not remain purple throughout the game. Other than that I like what I see as far as the rest of the CE.

Edited on 07/19/2014 at 12:02:53 PM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jul 19, 14 9:51 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Nevertales: Shattered Image Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Nevertales: Shattered Image Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jul 19, 14 9:55 AM
Just a reminder: the dedicated reviews thread is for posting reviews only, and is not conversational. If you would like to discuss a technical issue or comment on a review, you are definitely welcome to do so over private message or in our dedicated tech thread HERE.

Unfortunately, I will need to go ahead and remove all non-reviews in this thread.

bfgWendwater

Edited on 07/19/2014 at 10:05:34 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 19, 14 10:11 AM
Lot's of fun playing this game. Like the different things you need to do and it makes it interesting. Like the books you go to and story is fun. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jul 19, 14 11:14 AM
An almost instant buy for me! I only needed a few minutes of trial to know I wanted this game. Fantastic!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 19, 14 11:19 AM
NeverMALES: Shuttered Image

Mirror worlds, book worlds, spells, etc. Missing child with powers. The usual drenching of pink and purple. Men? Either crippled, evil or automatons.

This game is obviously designed to appeal to the female fishes. This is not meant as a criticism, just my opinion that that's where the developers were aiming. As that kind of game I think it's ok. For that reason I don't see a point in doing a full review because I really can't describe this game - at least not here. I'll leave that to you. Clever title though. No?

I hope you enjoy it ladies/women/girls (I didn't). I'll come back to see what is new.

Edit: I played Nevertales: The Beauty Within and enjoyed it. This one however, is a non-starter. Also edited for clarification.

Edited on 07/19/2014 at 6:39:03 PM PST

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jul 19, 14 12:23 PM
Here we go again. More portals, runes, crystals, evil doers/monsters & people in peril. This story line has gone on forever & NEVER gets any better. It is the same old, same old rehashed nonsense.

Horrible graphics AGAIN. Over colorization which makes the scenes look unnatural & just plain ugly.

On the other hand, the characters are quite realistic looking with good VO & lip-synch.

The music/ambient sounds are ok except for an annoying noise that is made when you click on something that is not correct.

More morphing objects & collectibles that I only find by PDL (pure dumb luck). They don't seem to enhance the story so why bother?

I found the story line tedious & just not engaging or enjoyable.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 19, 14 12:24 PM
Hi all. Well, I beta tested this one and really enjoyed it, even with the somewhat cartoon like graphics. Other than that, the graphics were quite good. Bright colors, but still a lot of pinks. Game play was very good, no problems and filled my large screen without black bars. The only real complaint I had about this game is that everything is so incredibly close to the hint button, so watch where you click. Nice voice overs, appropriate for person and time. Really liked the music. Usually soothing, but moved with the game play and what was happening at the time. Very nice sound FX. Jump map is quite helpful, with areas of interest marked and identified with name and picture, in case your memory isn't working today.

HOPs are silhouettes and finding parts to complete a task. These are not difficult but take some time and are fun. Puzzles are not difficult either, nothing new or too challenging. SG is helpful if you need it, but the hint system is even more helpful and faster to use. Between that and the jump map, you really don't need to use the SG.

You do travel through portals, so if you have a problem with bright lights, close them before you click...these are very bright. There are some things you do that you have to switch characters in order to complete a task. This was fun and different. Along the way, you find parts of a dollhouse and when you place the part, you receive a needed item for your inventory. The only collectibles I found were a picture of a book. These are not what you expect and blend into the background and scenery, but are not that difficult to see. You just have to remember to look for them.

I like that there are extra things to do, even after you finish the bonus game. These little extras make a game more fun, interesting and worth the price. This game is well done and fun. It is not extremely challenging, but enough to keep you interested and moving. The story line quickly drew me into the game. I have the first in this series ( Nevertales: The Beauty Within CE) and this one is equally as good. I think this will appeal to all levels of players and yes, I am going to get it for my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Jul 19, 14 7:06 PM
No need to do an in-depth review on this one. Storyline is confusing and uninteresting. Yes, if you are into collectibles and achievements, this may be your type of game. I found it boring without any flow to the game. The only thing I saw that I felt was worthwhile were the HOS. Other than that this one is a pass for me, in either CE or SE format.

[Post New]by mimicampdesert on Jul 19, 14 7:55 PM
Shattered Image is right. I demo'd this game not that long ago and was so excited to play. Beauty Within was a winner for me. Sadly, I was quickly let down with Shattered Image. The fun factor was just not there. Gameplay was so slow and spending so much time on opening the window/door was boring. I just wanted the game to get going already. Graphics and visuals beautiful as always. Music nice and appropriate. Level of challenge, that's the problem. Everything is so easy, even on the most difficult of settings. I feel as if I have played the game before. I like the storyline and the continuing plot is appropriate for Nevertales. We waited and waited patiently for this game to be released. This fish will not be purchasing, CE or SE. However, I will be checking the forum to see if the game does get better, after the demo. Beautiful game and artistry. I have purchased every other game by MadHead. I do think MadHead Games deserves a second glance by me.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Jul 19, 14 8:34 PM
I never finished the first Nevertales, thought it was all over the place. I thought the demo of this one was better, game play wise, but it still seems like it will jump around locations too much.

I did find the HOS very well done. I liked finding so many of different items in a HOS, where the items do not look alike. For instance, two angels or two insects. Then, the next HOS had the found items bring up a bucket with their weight. That was very clever and original.

But, that's not enough to say I liked the game. The puzzles were too easy. The graphics the all to familiar blue/purple of late. And when it comes right down to it, haven't we had enough of a kidnapped child, a scary black evil entity, mirror portals, magic books...? I know I have. Even sequels should have some novel aspects.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jul 19, 14 9:51 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:I never finished the first Nevertales, thought it was all over the place. I thought the demo of this one was better, game play wise, but it still seems like it will jump around locations too much.

I did find the HOS very well done. I liked finding so many of different items in a HOS, where the items do not look alike. For instance, two angels or two insects. Then, the next HOS had the found items bring up a bucket with their weight. That was very clever and original.

But, that's not enough to say I liked the game. The puzzles were too easy. The graphics the all to familiar blue/purple of late. And when it comes right down to it, haven't we had enough of a kidnapped child, a scary black evil entity, mirror portals, magic books...? I know I have. Even sequels should have some novel aspects.

I agree with you, twinsoniclab. I also have had enough with kidnapped children (who look more like 15 than 12) and a black, evil entity with a long, squid-like face.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 20, 14 1:05 PM
Geesh! I missed playing puzzle games and was so, so excited to play an awesome game! And guess what? We have another little go round with Alice. This time she doesn't go through the looking glass - she enters through a magic portal! Well, come to think of it - what is the difference? We have here the same game just repackaged! Hey, Mad Hatter - you don't have to have "Alice" games just because you are the "Mad Hatter." I disagree with you folks concerning her age! Unless you have never had children - she definitely looks 12 but geesh! no girl over the age of 8 would be caught in those "fairy tale" designer clothes! Mom and Dad have a little trouble with this little munchkin - she likes to wander from dimension to dimension, probably to escape being a character in this game.

What has happened to the Mad Hatter? I so loved their games. This game is snail paced.. Hey - Mad Hatter - have you been spending your time around the Caterpillar, having a smoke fest? Please, folks - Alice is so over. Same can be said for the Wizard of Oz as well. Can't we think of any other plots other than Alice-based themes? Please BF, please provide some rather mildly adult-based games.

The game is beyond easy. I think my Cheshire Cat has tried to play it but it was too boring even for him! The collectibles are photos of the cottage and jump out at you. The HOP scenes are interactive to some degree. The puzzles are boringly easy. The puzzles are straight from children's puzzle books. The graphics are beautiful, however. I am tired anyway and this game just wanted me to go to sleep. I might suggest taking Alice to a counselor to find out the root cause of her wanting to flee home. However, I think I can surmise why - this game is so boring she just wants to get out of this game. All of you that have asked for very easy games - well the BF Blue Fairy has just granted your wish. No thinking involved here! I RATE THIS GAME 2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS FOR A CE. I am so disappointed in this game and the downward spire into the BF rabbit hole of the games lately

Edited on 07/20/2014 at 1:08:39 PM PST

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jul 20, 14 4:32 PM
Well, it looked fun but can't skip the mini-games which don't work according to the strategy guide so I'm not buying it.

Go to: