Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

Stepdaughter's Abdomen?

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 20, 14 7:25 AM
What is it with the stepdaughter's abdomen? I can't figure it out! Is she supposed to be muscular or is it cloth or has she had a bunch of really horrible surgeries?

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

Re:Stepdaughter's Abdomen?

[Post New]by luvtoread on Jul 20, 14 6:08 PM
Are you referring to the part where you are interrogating her and
she is sitting next to that no-good rat fink? I just figured they
were trying to make her skin look like she was in a sitting position,
but it was a little distracting.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jul 21, 14 2:15 PM
I can only think that those are surgical scars on her abdomen. Women can have six packs, but even on a man those don't look correctly drawn to be accurate anatomically.....and it is the same whether she is sitting or standing....but that could just be laziness on the part of the illustrator.....or, simply an illustrator who never took either life drawing or looked in an artist's anatomy book.

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,357 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Jul 21, 14 2:22 PM
It just looks like draped fabric to me! I don't think women in this era showed off their bodies like that.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jul 21, 14 3:10 PM
Actually, during the 20's clothing could get quite risqué, especially among the very rich.
But you have a good point, and that was one of the options I considered....that it was a panel of "nude" looking material which was also quite common.

I absolutely drool over the sequined clothing of the 20's through the early 50's and used to collect and wear a lot of retro fashions.

I went with the surgery idea since they are talking about her poor health.....and a friend was left with a similar scar after exploratory surgery that was done on her in the mid 70's.

Edited on 07/21/2014 at 3:13:15 PM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 24, 14 2:47 PM
luvtoread wrote:Are you referring to the part where you are interrogating her and
she is sitting next to that no-good rat fink? I just figured they
were trying to make her skin look like she was in a sitting position,
but it was a little distracting.

It showed up every time she showed up. I kept looking at it and wondering. It didn't look like developed muscle but it really didn't look like part of her outfit.

It was just plain weird, I guess.

It was very distracting!

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jul 24, 14 5:39 PM
There is a restaurant in my town that has a mural they commissioned...a Bacchanalian scene.
It had to have been done by a student or an amateur. The anatomy wasn't even an approximation of what a real body is like.
Paint strokes were heavy handed....and things like proportion and foreshortening were way, way off.
If I went there with other instructors from the college (and the food was excellent, so we did) there was always a lot of jockeying for who could get the seats facing away from the mural.

When people who don't have training as artists notice something is off....that means that something is really off.
Still, it is a very good game and I am enjoying it a great deal.
The step daughter.....I just try to ignore looking below the spectacular beadwork on her dress.

But, thank you for introducing an interesting topic.

You should have heard the squawking from the computer art students about being required to take drawing, life drawing, design and color at the school I taught at.
They all thought the computer was going to do everything for them....as it is, I see and ignore some pretty ham-handed art in games, and again....I just ignore it or I would drive myself nuts.....sort of like I ignore using a shovel or other implement that has been repaired by tying it together....or using a lamp full of fireflies to light a persons way...
Games, if I did not learn to ignore more than half the stuff, I would be crazy....and I like the recreation of having something to do with the time I am awake and alert.

Go to: