catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Lack of Male Protagonists

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 20, 14 6:39 PM
Why can't we have a male protagonist for once? It seems that every game lately has had female protagonists. Am I the only one getting a bit annoyed by this?

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

Re:Lack of Male Protagonists

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Jul 20, 14 7:01 PM
The last CE (Ominous Objects: Family Portrait), just out on Thursday (or Friday for non club members) does have a male protagonist! That's pretty "lately!"

I can understand your frustration though. There are a lot fewer games with men. But, I have noticed more recently. Or games that leave the protagonist's gender neutral.

I guess the average casual game (as released here) player, at least BFG customer, is a woman!

I don't mind playing a man character, but do see why a man wouldn't want to play a women. These games make it clear she's a woman, with the glitter and pink and flowery graphics. As a woman, I can say they make me nauseated at times! I don't do cutesy in either my real life or my games!

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 20, 14 11:55 PM
That game was released while I was on holidays, so I haven't played it yet. But that's pretty cool! I'm looking forward to it now.

[Post New]by CorvusUmbra on Jul 21, 14 7:05 AM
I'd also like to point out that most casual gamers are female, according to a Casual-Connect study, so it would seem more appropriate for more female protaganists, which today's video games are lacking. But, as Tauret said, there are quite a few games with male leads. My favorite is The Lake House: Children of Silence.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jul 22, 14 9:51 AM
I'm another one who doesn't mind at all what gender I play. I'd even happily play as a 12 foot tall purple alien. If a game is interesting I totally forget who I'm supposed to be on the other side of the screen.

I also agree that the majority of players in the casual game genre are women so it tends to be geared towards us girlies. And thank goodness we have sites like BFG and others for these games.

I visited one of the only brick and mortar stores exclusively selling video games that still exist in the UK at the weekend and it was wall to wall console 'shoot them up' games with a tiny section devoted to PC games, and then they were also shoot 'em up type games. That's great for all you boys, especially when you can play on one half of your TV whilst watching a soccer match on the other and give the console commands to boot!

Can we girlies please have one that does the hoovering and washing up?

Anyway, yes... I agree. Let there be more male character protagonists so more men come to play these games. Lately, I've only ever found the CD versions of casual games in the bargain bins at Walmart / Asda and that's kind of sad.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 22, 14 11:31 PM
For the record, I hate "shoot 'em up" games with a passion. A burning passion.

I wish more males would play HOPA games so I could have someone to talk to about them.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jul 23, 14 12:58 PM
I hope you get your wish catbag.
It is a wonderful thing to be able to share ones love of a game with others who are like minded.

I cannot play the shooting games very well......and the only time I really found myself playing them often was when I got divorced.
yeah...bad divorce......good outcome!

What I really really hate is any game that kills you and makes you start over.
I see folks complaining about having to replay a game because of glitches....and while I rarely ever get a glitch, I can sympathize with them, because of how often I had to start a game over.......either from the beginning, a check-point (oh, how I hate check points!) or from a place where I saved the game (I finally learned to do that, and then find that video type games only have check points...grrrr.)

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Aug 8, 14 4:45 PM
The person who harps having a male lead should play the action games for ex the ones x box. I don't care who the lead is as long as the game is good.

SoggySox
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

Lack of Male Protagonists

[Post New]by SoggySox on Oct 20, 14 5:34 PM
Tauret wrote:
catbag8717 wrote:Why can't we have a male protagonist for once? It seems that every game lately has had female protagonists. Am I the only one getting a bit annoyed by this?

I don't care what gender the protagonist of a game is. Frankly, I don't care what species the protagonist is. I can happily play as a female human, male alien from out space or hermaphrodite hedgehog and think nothing of it. It's the story and game play that matter to me, not "who" or "what" I am in the game.

It occurred to me after I posted this that in one part of the demo you play from Pierre's perspective. Granted it was just for a small part and I don't know if that continues throughout the game, but it did happen at the beginning.

I hope that developers take into consideration gender options in upcoming games for those of you that do have definite preferences.

Keep your dorsal fin up
Tauret

Well said Tauret! I also could care less if the hero/heroine or if the villain is male or female, Kudos for a great post.

Go to: