Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Forbidden Garden Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jul 24, 14 12:32 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 07/24/2014 at 6:40:41 AM PST

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Forbidden Garden Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jul 24, 14 2:19 AM
Jumping on an inappropriate bandwagon?

Based on the completed demo (62/90 minutes) in Casual

Having enjoyed the first two Sable Maze stories, I find myself a little disappointed by this one. The others did indeed have an element of fantasy, but were based on real places and characters. i just get the feeling that, with this game, the developers have seen the popularity of fantasy genre and animal helpers and have lost something in that.

That said, as a standalone game it has some attractions.

The story is, again, a familiar one. Your fiance disappears on the day of your wedding and you find that your father's actions are at the root of the problem. You venture through the portal, accompanied by your interestingly created animal helper, to rescue him.

There are 3 levels of difficulty Casual/Advanced/Hard

CE bling:
* 6 jewellery collections to compile through finding 3 morphing jewels for each;
* Developer diary;
* Replay Match-3 games;
* Wallpapers/Concept Art/Music;
* Bonus chapter;
* SG (at the top of the screen for those who need it);
* Jumpable map which shows objectives/actions/location and also contains:
~ Achievements;
~ Notes and goals;
~ Replays of cut scenes.

Puzzles are very easy and there is no hard option.

Only 3 HOSs encountered so far. Two are find > use > find > use and the other a straightforward list with fragments of the final item hidden behind.

All in all, it was OK. Way too easy. I didn't once have to use the SG and only used the hint or map when there was nothing logical to do. Nothing to set it apart from the many excellent fantasy CEs available and, if the story is complete at the end of the main game, which I suspect it is, then little to justify the extra cost.

You will need to try it. You might like it more, but for me it is a disappointment.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Forbidden Garden Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jul 24, 14 2:58 AM
Another new game from a relatively new dev, Daily Magic. You are a soon-to-be bride who comes home to marry your fiance. He is suddenly taken hostage by a mysterious woman who takes him into a portal within a hedge maze you were warned by your parents (your father looks like Lucius Malfoy... ) to never enter. From there, you are to rescue your fiance from the evil Queen Mab.

I played on the hardest mode for 30 minutes before the demo ended. Nice graphics, fine-enough music, fine-enough voice overs, and smooth gameplay. After that, this game is a no-buy for me. You have a "cute" ferret creature who helps you with tasks, the puzzles I encountered were so simple it was laughable. The HOG scenes are interactive but in an almost "you must do this, in order to do this, in order to accomplish this..." pedestrian way. Others are straight up list scenes that were completely simple.

HOG scenes & tasks are extremely simple to accomplish as the cursor changes with every item that was clickable. Absolutely no challenge here. No element of surprise.

There are morphing objects in some scenes that make up jewels of some sort. What to do with these, if anything, was beyond me... There is a jump map, a strat guide, and a journal which are all basically...basic.

There are the standard accomplishments, i.e. completing HOG's without using a hint, etc, etc. These are only accessible via your map, not the games main page, which I thought was odd. You can replay video scenes from the map as well as your jewel collection and other elements. This portion of the game, the map and all the clickable parts, seemed jumbled and crammed together.

The extras are the typical assortment of wallpapers, music, concept art, and the like. Nothing unique here.

This will likely appeal to those who like their HOPA games "light and carefree", which is absolutely fine. We have our tastes and desired genres of HOPA's. So feel free to try it for yourself. Unfortunately for me, it was all way too simplistic and mediocre to warrant a purchase.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 24, 14 5:59 AM
I enjoyed the previous Sable Maze games but didn't care much for this newest offering. I've had a bit too much of the fantasy genre and animal helpers; all pink and purple, very sweet and sugary and really not much in the way of a challenge. Seems to be the norm lately and I'd really like to see something dark and sinister just for a change!

No customisation of gameplay offered, just the usual 3 modes. Puzzles were so easy they weren't really a puzzle at all. Match 3 instead of HOS if you prefer, transportable map, achievements, jewellery collections (more pretty things) and an animal helper who used to be your Mother. And who in their right mind would call a child Wisteria No wonder someone changed her into an animal

I might go for the SE if I have a spare PCC when it's released but I don't think this CE is worth the extra money. It's just too easy.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jul 24, 14 6:40 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Sable Maze: Forbidden Garden Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Sable Maze: Forbidden Garden Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Jul 24, 14 10:33 AM
What happened to Sable Maze? I can't say I'm a fan of the series, now three games long, but really...

Not only has this one been overtaken by the purple graphic trend, it has an animal helper (and what a helper! You have to play it to believe it!), and, in the only way I can explain it, been dumbed down. Looks like a certain "rabbit" developed this one! There is nothing original, exciting, or special about this Sable Maze.

So... my check list of what I dislike in a game. I can put up with one or another if the rest of the game is good.

1- purple graphics - not that I dislike purple, but I have grown so tired of it!
2- animal helper - not that I dislike animals at all! And I love ferrets, I see them every day at my workplace and love the little fellas! I think the animal helper in this game is actually an ermine though. At any rate, spoiler only if you haven't played any of the demo... so highlight, it isn't even just any animal helper, it's the players' mother turned into the ermine!
3- easy puzzles and HOS - really easy... super easy... insultingly easy...
4- unoriginal storyline - could this one be any less original? Even the blurb about the game is unoriginal, "...fiance... kidnapped by a mysterious force..."

What makes this game a "Sable Maze" game? The first was a bit on the spooky side, with dead bodies, creepy children, an abandoned camp abounding with creepy locations. The second game started the downhill slide into ordinary, but this one really takes the award for "most disappointing sequel."

Side note to mst3kr- the father does NOT look a thing like Lucius Malfoy! Lucius Malfoy is hot! This father is just wimpy looking, as is the fiance.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 24, 14 11:01 AM
SUGAR ALERT: PLAYING THIS GAME CAN BE HARD TO SINK YOUR TEETH INTO!

Once upon a time, in a pond far away, lived the wizard fish of BF who provided such wondrous, exciting games full of marvel and puzzle delights. They stimulated the minds and brought a bright ray of enjoyment into the wretched lives of the humble folk who worked in dreary shops and factories across the land. Then, one day it happened! A villain, CUTESY, entered this magical kingdom. Now CUTESY was no ordinary villain. Looking like an angel, but being vampire in disguise, it zapped the lifeblood out of all of the games at BF. There arose myriads of GAME HELPERS - first animals - then other creatures which needed to be fed, housed, and required so much attention that the games lost their entertainment value. Eventually, CUTESY destroyed the creative genius of the devs transforming them into crazed, FORMULA ROBOTONS churning out one mindless game after another at lightning speed . What is the future for this kingdom?

Feel like a five-year old? Maybe this example can best illustrate how some of feel about the evolution of games on this site. Most of us are tired of CUTESY. There is a section for children's games - so please create games for your adult fish. Second, PLEASE STOP USING HELPERS! I believe a survey would prove most dislike having "helpers" for the games. There are various opinions of what users like on this site. Since there are two CE games per week - what if one day was devoted to harder adventure games for those of us who are STARVING for them and one day of the week for the easier games for those who like these types of games? I am still a big BF supporter and haven't vanished into the " Hot Vapor" as yet, but games like this one are becoming the norm now and this is unsettling. They are not "steaming" with excitement and are being "watered" down into a stagnant pool of repetition and mediocrity.

This game? The graphics are beautiful. Your dad looks like the Elf King from the Hobbit. The music is okay. The puzzles are boring and way too easy for an adult game site. Ditto for the the HOP scenes. And guess what? You even get to "colour" in this game Maybe there will be nap time and cookies. This game is not an adult game. The storyline is inane. I RATE THIS GAME 2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS. It will NEVER be purchased by me. BTW- check out our PixIES.They are one of your most innovative game developers. Why do we all LOVE their games?

Edited on 07/24/2014 at 2:39:26 PM PST

feegee
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by feegee on Jul 24, 14 12:37 PM
I wasted no less than 15 minutes of the demo trying to STOP laughing and regain my composure.....They did NOT have to do that girls mama like THAT!!!
When I was finally able to return to the game, about 1.5 minutes into it, I caught a glimpse of "Mama Fuzzy Wuzzy" as she was sitting on her decorative pillow licking her paws---and fixing her hair---like some random old alley cat......At that point, it was a wrap...The End for me. There was no possible way to control my laughter so I simply gave up.

What little I was able to play until the scandalous "What's that ferret doing in my mama's green hat" incident, seemed ok. The scenes were very pretty, colorful and the story seemed easy enough to follow without getting frustrated.

I'm not sure if I would or would not recommend but, I will be trying to at least get thru the demo again......LATER......much later. Give it a try the demo is a freebie.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 24, 14 2:00 PM

Forbidden Garden Is An Original, Imaginative Game - If You Never Played Before

You return home to your fiance and parents for your wedding. Except your fiance gets pullled into a portal by the fairies on the other side. Your parents are incapacitated, so you must go through the portal to rescue your fiance and undo whatever was done.

Wow, is this out already? I got a "sneak peak" of this game only last week. I was wondering what the reaction would be to what happens to the mother.

Something positive should go here. OK, the drawing is good quality and voices are good.

All the BF developers have evidently run out of ideas:

Every game has some type of portal - mirror, painting, gate etc.
Every game has a cute (debatable) animal helper.
Every game has ridiculously easy play.
Every game has someone disappear.
Every game is aimed at children.
Every game is pink and purple.
Every game is the same.

If that is the standard, this game is the perfect game. Some like this style, so to them I say, enjoy.

Edited on 07/24/2014 at 2:02:08 PM PST

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jul 24, 14 3:54 PM
i'm SO fed up with the pinky-purple-fairytale-through-the-portal/mirror/whatever-EASY games that i'm even ditching my usual pinky-purple font to post this review.

devs, if you're reading this (which BFG claims all devs do, which is why the reviews are all located in ONE dedicated thread!), i SO hope you pay attention to what you are being told here!

the majority of us are tired of fairy tales, portals to another world, silly pet helpers (really? turning mom into an ermine?? BLEAH!!) and the consensus seems to be that we would have preferred you stick to the OLD sable maze games and make another like the first one!

yes, there are those who disagree and like a fairy tale game with no challenge whatsoever, but they are now the minority. and, i'll bet your sales of this game reflect that!

when i saw that a new sable maze was out today, i was excited because i thought "WONDERFUL!! a game that *i* will enjoy! AND, a game for me to BUY! the last game i bought was FRIGHT. and the game before that was TRUE FEAR. and that's all i've bought in a LONG time because i'm sick of this type of game. besides the demo, i watched the video on the game's homepage and it has pretty pink butterflies, an animated gargoyle-looking thing... and it's ALL pinks and purples.

I AM *SO* DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS SABLE MAZE. bring back the old sable maze that i happily bought and greatly enjoyed!

i do not recommend this game. but, you may like this new look, so try it for yourself.

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jul 24, 14 5:46 PM

Edited on 07/28/2014 at 3:37:30 PM PST

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Jul 24, 14 8:14 PM
I for one thoroughly enjoyed the demo. So much so that I almost paid for the CE version (I still may) And trust me I’m an adult. Maybe so much of an adult I’m going into my second childhood? The graphics are lovely and no the game will not have you at the edge of your seats. The mini games are relatively easy, but nice to be able to finish all of them without any level of frustration. I remember the days (not so long ago) where everyone was sick and tired of the dark, gloomy, death or mentally deranged type games. I was one of them and am thrilled to see these fairy tale like games. As far as portals to another world I can take them or leave them. As long as the graphics are as gorgeous as these and an easy to follow story line, I’m happy. I don’t play games to have things jump out at me intending to make me jump (which are laughable anyway.) I play games to relax and it’s a nice extra if they put a smile on my face while playing.

So yes, by all means try it for yourself. Just needed to mention that not all of us adults are tired of these type of games. I’ve bought more games recently than I have in a long time.

Happy Gaming Everyone!

Patter57
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Patter57 on Jul 24, 14 10:42 PM
I did not find the game fun. Graphics were okay, storyline was okay. puzzles were okay. Just normal stuff in all these recent games.

What I did find, was an ermine. Okay, that was kinda funny. But would have rather found a vicious dog I could use. Sic em Fido! Cute and fuzzy...No...Scary and spooky....yes. So no buy for me on CE. Maybe if I am out of games , I'll get it with a coupon. Don't want to see dragons, emine, small puppys, fairies or pandas, So over them.

bitsy1949
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by bitsy1949 on Jul 25, 14 12:50 AM
KIW0612 wrote:I for one thoroughly enjoyed the demo. So much so that I almost paid for the CE version (I still may) And trust me I’m an adult. Maybe so much of an adult I’m going into my second childhood? The graphics are lovely and no the game will not have you at the edge of your seats. The mini games are relatively easy, but nice to be able to finish all of them without any level of frustration. I remember the days (not so long ago) where everyone was sick and tired of the dark, gloomy, death or mentally deranged type games. I was one of them and am thrilled to see these fairy tale like games. As far as portals to another world I can take them or leave them. As long as the graphics are as gorgeous as these and an easy to follow story line, I’m happy. I don’t play games to have things jump out at me intending to make me jump (which are laughable anyway.) I play games to relax and it’s a nice extra if they put a smile on my face while playing.

So yes, by all means try it for yourself. Just needed to mention that not all of us adults are tired of these type of games. I’ve bought more games recently than I have in a long time.

Happy Gaming Everyone!

bitsy1949
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by bitsy1949 on Jul 25, 14 12:55 AM
I completely agree with KIW0612's comment above. I love the dark and dreary as well as the fun and whimsical. Just depends on my mood

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jul 25, 14 5:25 AM
I only played 31 minutes of the demo. I had two big problems to start with: Nvidia GE Force on my year old HP desktop doesn't recognize about half of the developers including this one, so the color of this game was shaded towards the blue/gray, yellow/green palate, which made it not only look a bit faded, including the vivid purple color everyone else has described and which I wouldn't have minded seeing more of, but also made the objects in some scenes a bit indistinguishable. But let's start with someone flying to their wedding in a sort of 1920's plane, but she's wearing some kind of seriously full-skirted, overblown sort of late 19th/early 20th century clothing complete with huge hat. What? And then there's mom's costume, omg. Really? That green dress with crossover thing on the bodice and the green hat (which actually looks like somewhere in the 1920's except they've tilted it). Who did this? Dad is a Lucius Malfoy knockoff, but with a shorter do, and nicer skin. (Also nicer personality, after all, he's the dad.) The story takes place in England, yet Wisteria (sorry, that alone cracks me up) calls her parents mom and dad, and everyone speaks with U.S./Canadian accents. I was pretty taken aback when mom became an ermine, and while I'm not one of those people who objects to furry helpers, the, uh, lack of dignity -- here mom, fetch -- sort of startled me. The fiance came off like an ingenuous, uninteresting and not particularly good-looking guy, and we had yet another kidnap story. What did interest me was the back story, and at first, the HOP's were interestingly done, but ultimately not that interesting, at least to me, and the mini-games were o.k., but given all the negatives and lack of challenge of movement, this is no buy for me. All that said, for those whose screen color isn't affected and who perhaps like the story and are willing to put up with everything else, this could be a fun purchase.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 25, 14 5:46 AM
I agree with Everyone who thinks this game in not all that good. We've seen the storyline so many times...it's like playing the same game over and over again. The graphics and colors are so loud...that it actually make's it hard to see anything.

Definitely not as good as the first 2 in this Series. I'd buy it with a punch card, and the SE only. But...only because I have to own the whole series in games. But, I am disappointed with this game. But...like I always say...try the game for yourself. We're all so different in our taste with games. This might be a good game for you. Just mediocre for me.

Please Developers...listen to your Buyer's.

I rate this game: “PORK BELLY”

“These are my terms" for hogs, I hogs, frogs & adventure games.

“DEVINE FINE SWINE”
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game.
It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot. LOL

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

feegee
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by feegee on Jul 25, 14 7:47 AM
snapnhiss wrote:
feegee wrote:I wasted no less than 15 minutes of the demo trying to STOP laughing and regain my composure.....They did NOT have to do that girls mama like THAT!!!
When I was finally able to return to the game, about 1.5 minutes into it, I caught a glimpse of "Mama Fuzzy Wuzzy" as she was sitting on her decorative pillow licking her paws---and fixing her hair---like some random old alley cat......At that point, it was a wrap...The End for me. There was no possible way to control my laughter so I simply gave up.

[Removed by Moderator]

I mentioned it because *I* thought it was as funny as it was ridiculous.....As for what *you* thought......Well that's **you**......and today, **I** still think it was as ridiculous as it was funny......Did I mention I think it's as ridiculous as it is funny.......

As to your mental fatigue....meh..what can you do..skip the reviews maybe?...ijs.....This Mama animal helper, simply did not raise the appeal of the game for **me** enough to want to purchase it.
As for "mob mentality", these are not free games and people are ALLOWED to have and post *their* opinion. Just because it jives with someone else's, that simply doesn't diminish it's value any more than it means they are jacking some else's thoughts.

The cute little animal helper may in fact be or have been successful....people change, tastes change, people grow tired of the same old thing time after time. If they don't express this, the Devs---if they read the comment section---won't know what the consumers want from them.

Hope that answered some of your questions.....without being to mentally mob-ish.

Edited on 07/28/2014 at 3:42:55 PM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jul 25, 14 11:43 AM
For me it boils down to the washed out lavender or purple haze over everything, a sticky, jerky motion in game play, the slight lag time to move to a new scene, and a story line that is so over used it's become cliche. For some people this will be a good game and enjoyable. I'll wait. I think I'm burning out on HOGs for now and need to switch to more challenging pure adventure games. So it could be me

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 25, 14 12:48 PM
sunnyglow wrote:SUGAR ALERT: PLAYING THIS GAME CAN BE HARD TO SINK YOUR TEETH INTO!

Once upon a time, in a pond far away, lived the wizard fish of BF who provided such wondrous, exciting games full of marvel and puzzle delights. They stimulated the minds and brought a bright ray of enjoyment into the wretched lives of the humble folk who worked in dreary shops and factories across the land. Then, one day it happened! A villain, CUTESY, entered this magical kingdom. Now CUTESY was no ordinary villain. Looking like an angel, but being vampire in disguise, it zapped the lifeblood out of all of the games at BF. There arose myriads of GAME HELPERS - first animals - then other creatures which needed to be fed, housed, and required so much attention that the games lost their entertainment value. Eventually, CUTESY destroyed the creative genius of the devs transforming them into crazed, FORMULA ROBOTONS churning out one mindless game after another at lightning speed . What is the future for this kingdom?

Feel like a five-year old? Maybe this example can best illustrate how some of feel about the evolution of games on this site. Most of us are tired of CUTESY. There is a section for children's games - so please create games for your adult fish. Second, PLEASE STOP USING HELPERS! I believe a survey would prove most dislike having "helpers" for the games. There are various opinions of what users like on this site. Since there are two CE games per week - what if one day was devoted to harder adventure games for those of us who are STARVING for them and one day of the week for the easier games for those who like these types of games? I am still a big BF supporter and haven't vanished into the " Hot Vapor" as yet, but games like this one are becoming the norm now and this is unsettling. They are not "steaming" with excitement and are being "watered" down into a stagnant pool of repetition and mediocrity.

This game? The graphics are beautiful. Your dad looks like the Elf King from the Hobbit. The music is okay. The puzzles are boring and way too easy for an adult game site. Ditto for the the HOP scenes. And guess what? You even get to "colour" in this game Maybe there will be nap time and cookies. This game is not an adult game. The storyline is inane. I RATE THIS GAME 2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS. It will NEVER be purchased by me. BTW- check out our PixIES.They are one of your most innovative game developers. Why do w

Go to: