A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 07/27/2014 at 8:21:51 AM PST

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fright here

[Post New]by Fishpole on Jul 27, 14 3:41 AM
Never has 90 minutes gone by so fast! I was totally engrossed by the story!

I am not going to go into a lot of 'detail'.....you just have to try it and see for yourself!

I know it will not be everyone's 'cup of tea' ....but IF you are into taking your time with a game, this is a DELIGHT!

It had me right from the opening scene and THAT 'MOTEL'........it puts the 'Bates Motel' to shame!

I didn't come across too many HO scenes in the demo...but the ones that were, were very interactive and fun to do.

It seems to be a game where you feel that you are actually THERE and actively participating. You really have to keep your eyes open!

You have a 'Camera' journal which keeps track of what's happening, a map which shows areas of interest and a 'helpful' hint system.

I have no problem recommending this game......and thank you Developers and BFG for bringing it to us!

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jul 27, 14 8:21 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Fright here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Fright.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

This was a good game!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jul 27, 14 1:36 PM
I enjoyed this game some time ago.

This really can not be said as BF stated "From Lesta, creators of the Nightmare Realm series, comes a terrifying new thriller!" I had purchased the collectors edition already so in the true sense not new.

I wish that BF would automatically inform the member "you own the game already" be it a standard or collection version.

Therefore I have concluded the game is not new for members who have purchased the game.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 27, 14 4:25 PM
Hi all. I had played the demo of the CE version, and didn't see that it was CE quality. I sometimes change my mind when I give the SE a try, but not this time.

As I have said many times, I don't care for the "real" people in these games as the movements and voice overs are not very well done. Movements are very choppy and colors are too much brown/orange, which is a bit hard on the eyes. You had to click multiple times to pick something up from the inventory, or anywhere else, which is very frustrating. There isn't any "fright" in this game either...black smoke just doesn't do it and neither does the ugly face. This game should have put you on the edge of your seat, but it did not. Too bad, it started out very well.

No, I am not going to buy the SE either. Please feel free to read my full CE review, as it still holds true for the SE as well.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 28, 14 6:37 PM

Fright Makes Right

A bus crashes near an abandoned motel in Kansas cornfield country. Missing people. Strange black cloud. Unexplainable events. In short, nothing new - but there is still potential.

As you might have guessed this is a dark, scary story, but to the developer's credit, it begins in broad daylight. Nevertheless, they still manage to convey a creepy atmosphere by using a slightly grainy drawing motif, which fits with the story that began about ten years earlier than the "present day" (early 1960's).

The voices are Ok, nothing special. The dialog is slow enough to easily read, and maybe even too slow at times with quite a few pauses. These are live actors, and their lips almost synch with the voices. Visually, the actors fit nicely into the scenes, with no obvious bright edges or looking like they were added later.

Game play is fairly standard, except there is less emphasis on hidden object scenes and a greater emphasis on puzzles. Even the hidden object scenes are structured like a puzzle, where you use objects you found to find others. The puzzles draw you in - at times literally.

There is a camera, Polaroid-style of course- not invented until 1972, which takes pictures in the background (listen for the shutter) and saves them to your journal. There is also a jump map which this reviewer did not need to use during the demo.

In the CE there are 34 collectible dollar bills which you can use to purchase items.

The game has enough atmosphere, creepiness, and playability to make up for the lack of an original storyline. Fright is a decent scare, but I still would recommend the SE as I don't see enough here to make me jump THAT high.

Update after completing game -

I stand by my original review and recommend the SE over the CE. This is an Ok game. What keeps it from being five star is the live actors dialog. It is extremely slow, with many, many pauses and the live actors also are not that good. The dollar bill collectibles are not hard to find and the gift shop does not have much interesting to "purchase." The bonus play story is short, does not make much sense, and adds nothing to the end of the original game.

Three and a half screams 1/2

Edited on 07/28/2014 at 6:38:45 PM PST

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Jul 29, 14 1:20 PM
Loved, loved, loved this game!

The graphics have excellent detail (cornfields, buildings, even the rust on the fences). Music was good too. I really liked the live actors. The voices didn't match the lip movements exactly but that was no big deal for me as they were pretty close.

The storyline (missing girl, weird business owners, black smoke) may have been done before, but the situations (creepy changes when black smoke "takes" someone, stolen baby, bus crash) added a "newness" feel for me.

There are very few HOS so if you like a lot of them, you may be disappointed. I was fine with it since I like a few HOS scattered throughout a game. There were some mini-games that hadn't been done before. Very nice.

If I HAD to find a negative to this game, I would have to say it would be the cursor. The cursor was okay except when it became an "eye" which told me to look at an object. The "eye" cursor was so close in looks to the regular cursor that I found I was missing things.

Be sure to take your time playing this game. It has some really, really good graphics and if you play it too fast, you'll miss them.

Definitely a 5 thumbs up for me!

Edited on 09/02/2014 at 5:35:18 PM PST

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Jul 29, 14 5:37 PM
I have just finished the game and really can't add anything that LadyJane hasn't already said.

You really DO have to take your time & be sure to check everything out.

I too, really enjoyed playing this game and would definitely recommend it!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jul 31, 14 6:09 PM
dancemom1 wrote:Hi all. I had played the demo of the CE version, and didn't see that it was CE quality. I sometimes change my mind when I give the SE a try, but not this time.

As I have said many times, I don't care for the "real" people in these games as the movements and voice overs are not very well done. Movements are very choppy and colors are too much brown/orange, which is a bit hard on the eyes. You had to click multiple times to pick something up from the inventory, or anywhere else, which is very frustrating. There isn't any "fright" in this game either...black smoke just doesn't do it and neither does the ugly face. This game should have put you on the edge of your seat, but it did not. Too bad, it started out very well.

No, I am not going to buy the SE either. Please feel free to read my full CE review, as it still holds true for the SE as well.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

I need not write anything as this person has posted exactly my feelings on this game!

Edited on 07/31/2014 at 6:09:49 PM PST

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Aug 10, 14 9:01 AM
The Real people really made this game for me ,like the old MFC'One of the few games that have have played lately , that encouraged you to think !!! Some puzzles you had to actually search back for the answers ,rather than solutions appearing right beside the puzzles .. The mini games and puzzles were different and interesting, although not really difficult... HOS were more interesting than the norm and fun...
Really enjoyed this one, it held my interest,to completion... Not the same old same old !
Will look for more from these developers..

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 13, 14 4:48 PM
Well, I was waiting to be "Fright"ened (!!) but somehow never was. I thought the best thing about this game was the graphics, somehow between "Children of the Corn" and "Dead End" or something. Very creepy and realistic. But that was all that impressed me about this game. I REALLY do not like real actors in my games. For me, they spoil the continuity as they seem so out of place in a game scene. The HOS were O.K., the mini-games were pretty good and original, but I guess I was expecting more from a game simply titled "Fright". And is there an SG? I never used it, but since I bought the SE, I was surprised to see an SG in the extras. If that's the case, I think that is a cool thing to throw into an SE. Well, no more fairytales or horror for me until I scope out what's out there on the weekend!!

Happy gaming and be kind to one another!!

feenix

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Aug 17, 14 3:59 PM
Based on completed game (2nd one today......wow, a record for me!):

Corn, corn everywhere, no popcorn to eat! Hope none of it was GM? Ah! Thoroughly enjoyed this short and sweet game. Not frightful or frightening. In fact, the daylight setting made it feel more like a movie. While I don't usually like the use of real people in any game, this one actually needed it.

With all the standard good features of transport map, fast-filling hint, clear, colourful, brilliant graphics + a nice twist w/ that photo morphing into a HOG, I never once lost interest or felt bored with the story. It deserves 4 out of 5 stars.

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Dec 4, 14 2:39 PM
Well I really enjoyed this game. mainly because of the lack of hidden object scenes. There were some but they were very different and interactive and didn't have to be visited multiple times over.

It was just a darn good adventure story and, although it wasn't at all frightening, held my interest all the way through.

The only downside for me were the real characters. I am so NOT a fan of real people in these games. The sound and lip synch was so far out as to be ludicrous.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Dec 30, 14 4:56 PM
I thought this game was good. I liked the fact that it was more adventure and hardly any HOS. However I thought that with the name fright it might be more scary but it wasn't.

noirangel
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by noirangel on Jan 14, 15 6:00 AM
Wow I thought t his game was great!

I actually got so involved in the story line it felt like I was there with the characters. I enjoyed the live actors too even if at times they talked a little slow.

The graphics were excellent and the it was more puzzles than just hog. I found the cornfield effectively creepy too!

There aren't too many games that I find this engaging. I hated to see it come to an end I was enjoying my adventure so. Well done!

Go to: