bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Village Quest

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 28, 14 12:29 AM
Come to the aid of a noble but clumsy knight and puzzle through more than 100 fun Match 3 levels as he struggles to turn the kingdom that he won by chance into a flourishing realm. Let yourself be carried away by six incredible power-ups and a ton of funny mini-games!

Make clever use of your resources by building huts, streets, town halls, forges and much, much more for your loyal citizens! What are you waiting for? Find out just how much fun the Middle Ages can be in Village Quest!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Village Quest

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 28, 14 12:44 AM
'ello Flounder...

This M3 game is by the devs who gave us "Zombie Solitaire", which I really like.

However, I don't care for this M3 game at all.

In the options, there are 2 display modes:
16:9 and 4:3. I only get a tick on 4:3, and only get full screen, with a really wide border on either side of my widescreen laptop.

There is no choice of Relaxed and Timed mode. It's timed. But there is no bronze, silver, gold section, as you get with other timed games. You just get a bar with the word "Time" on it. It's slow, but it's timed nevertheless.

Just wanted to add that I don't know whether you can continue to play after the timer has ran out, because I didn't care to wait for the timer to go down, to see what happens.

I don't know what HUD means, but when you click on "HIDE HUD", all the tabs disappear.

You get an Advisor, who pops up and up and up, to tell you how to play the game. I do wish we could choose whether we want a tutorial or not.

The boards and tiles are OK, nothing fantastic, and nothing too bad. Sounds are OK, and you can continue to make matches while tiles are still falling down.

Each level can be repeated or you can move on to the next one.

With each level you earn gold and wood and food, etc. When you have enough, you can get a blueprint of a building. It's a mini game, whereby you have to construct the picture by moving the different parts to the right spots - easy. You can skip these after a minute.

When you have the blueprint, you can then buy the building to be constructed.

--- --- ---

This is a very basic game with minimum extras. Actually, there are no extras that I can see. There is a choice of a custom and system cursor, but no widescreen (not for me, anyway), no stars to be won because there are none on the timed bar, no relaxed mode. And... sorry, but boring game all round - for me, anyway.

Edited on 07/28/2014 at 12:52:56 AM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jul 28, 14 3:14 AM
Hello Valdy, thank you for all the details of the game!

I'm just sorry I came to read it while the game was d/ing instead of before I started it!

No untimed mode means no try nor buy, for me!

Off to uninstall it now!

BK

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Jul 28, 14 3:15 AM
Have to agree with Valdy. Except I think it's cute enough to buy it if ONLY it had a relaxed mode. Since it doesn't - it's a no buy here.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jul 28, 14 5:17 AM
No buy for me either since it does not have a relaxed mode. As stated before it is a very basic game with little or no frills and no widescreen. With no widescreen it makes the game dated and is unacceptable. Come on devs, the technology is there. I do like the building feature. This game could be a real winner if the devs made those few tweaks.

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Jul 28, 14 6:00 AM
I don't care for Match 3 games with such tiny boards and shimmery sparkles. For some reason, I can play any other genre for hours without eyestrain, but there are only a few M3 boards that don't cause my eyes to burn and/or headaches. I played 4 or 5 levels, and that was enough for me to decide that this game's not for me.

My monitor is only 15", so I didn't have any black bars with the 4:3 aspect ratio.

As Valdy said, you can click to hide the HUD (Heads Up Display (Game interface/tabs)). This feature is similar to the Gardenscapes and Fishdom games in that you have an unobstructed view of your village.

Sounds and music were okay. I turned them down low.

I doubt I'd buy the game even if it had a relaxed mode. I've got a few games I still need to finish.

I'm sure that there are some M3 fans who'll like this game. The graphics are nice.

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Jul 28, 14 6:41 AM
I'm a M3 lover and I'm going to get this one. The timer gives you an enormous amount of time (in the 60 minutes I played it never got below half). Some good news is that with this game you can make other matches while the board is in motion. Games that don't have that option make me crazy! Since I never got anywhere close to the end of the timer I don't know if you can play on after it runs out. The music drove me over the edge so I turned that off and kept only the sounds. As someone else pointed out, the "helpers" do keep "helping," and I wish there were an option to turn them off. All in all, it's a pretty basic M3/build your village game and I find them relaxing so it's a buy for me.

Zobig
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Zobig on Jul 28, 14 9:15 AM
Thanks for the feed , it is also no buy for me unless it gave me an option of time to play. Don't understand why the developers don't , up to the player to play the mode they want. No buy!

crestedwave
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by crestedwave on Jul 29, 14 1:26 PM
I like Match 3 games but don't like this one for one thing no relaxed mode and hardly any power ups which make the game there was a hammer for awhile in a few levels but it disappeared when you level up more than you are left with no power ups and if you get 5 in a roll you do get a bomb but how often do you get 5 so when I was just about to win the game time ran out would have been nice to have at least one power up if I would have known what this game was like I wouldn't have bought it

[Post New]by irssecretary on Jul 30, 14 2:58 AM
I love Match 3 games and I don't like that this one does not offer a relaxed mode, but so far it has been fairly easy with no problems finishing, until now! I am pretty far into the game and I am stuck on one level. I wish I could tell you which one it is, but I don't think they have numbers, anyway, this board has one double chained square up at the top center. I have not been able to get it any further than breaking one chain, there are no tools to use. I had a hammer briefly, have no idea where that went. Needless to say, I am not happy. This will make the 3rd or 4th game I have not been able to finish (this one is probably me) but still!!!

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Jul 31, 14 7:03 AM
Once you have the hammer, it's always there, you just have to make enough matches in the game for it to be available to use. If you have the sound on, you will hear it let you know when it's available (in addition to becoming visible again). You can use it as many times as you like during each game, you just need to make several matches for that to happen.
There are more power-ups available as you go along, in fact, once you buy the main house in the center of the village, you can click on it and see the status. You have to purchase parts of the village and read what that purchase does for you as far as earning points and supplies faster.
There is more to this game than some people realize, you just have to read the info provided to progress in the game.
I don't usually like games that have only timers, but the developers did put thought in this game, and provided the tools necessary to win the game.

Go to: