catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Northern Tale 4 here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 30, 14 1:09 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 07/30/2014 at 5:36:42 AM PST

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Northern Tale 4 here!

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jul 30, 14 5:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Northern Tale 4 here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Northern Tale 4.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on Jul 31, 14 1:14 AM
I've purchased the previous Northern Tale games, and I only played a few levels, but I really don't see anything new here. It was probably the same in the previous games, but I really hate when these time management games don't allow you to chain tasks. I think I'll have to pass on this one.

Edited on 07/31/2014 at 1:14:55 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 31, 14 2:30 AM
I've loved all the previous Northern Tale games but although I bought this latest episode without bothering with the demo, I'm not so keen on it. It started off fine but I'm not a fan of all the underwater levels; they seem far too cluttered and I found some of the creatures hard to distinguish from the background scenery.

The characters are all familiar and I was glad to see Rollo back; he's my favourite! Tasks are the usual; clearing pathways and building/upgrading sawmills, farms and goldmines. Nothing really new apart from the underwater scenes, which seem to take up the majority of the game and introduce some bizarre creatures! There are also items to collect on certain levels e.g. Rollo's shield, a mermaid's purse etc. Some are quite hard to find.

There are 3 modes of play; untimed, normal and multiclick, which means you can chain tasks. I'm currently playing untimed and already I've come across some levels which are going to be hard to complete in timed mode!

A nice enough addition to the series (which seems as though it may be the last) but I could have done without so many underwater levels.

otineke
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by otineke on Jul 31, 14 8:52 AM
was it by Northern Tale 3 impossible to get 3 stars, NT4 is also impossible
but i love the games and if you dont care about stars it is a fun game

amminnc
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by amminnc on Jul 31, 14 1:25 PM
I love these Northern Tale games! This one has a few new things: underwater scenes, witches throwing daggers, catapults hurling boulders into the roads, etc. My only criticism, and this has nothing to do with game play, is the lame and repetitive notations on the waiting-to-load screens, where the trees pop up. There's so much good historical info on Vikings available, I just don't know why the developers didn't put more effort into this and offer some educational perspective. It cheapens the whole game.

That being said, it's still very enjoyable, fast paced, and challenging.

Prplhrdmj
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Prplhrdmj on Aug 1, 14 6:01 AM
I loved all the previous Northern Tales, but this one is just a little to S L O W for me. Bummer.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Aug 1, 14 3:18 PM
I was disappointed when it ended ..

Don't get me wrong, the game play length was adequate, I just enjoyed the game that much.

I got into the story and wanted MORE!

This is not my usual genre of games, but this one is one I will always look forward to.

Thanks BF, Dev's. Not forgetting my fellow fishies with help on some of the parts of the game play. Awesome

Ci

orochick
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

Northern Tale 4 - level 42

[Post New]by orochick on Aug 1, 14 9:30 PM
I LOVE NT #4. I think it's the best one yet. So many new things - underwater levels, collectables, new villains, etc. I think it's harder than the rest too. I have gotten 3 stars on every level (had to play some several times to figure out how), but am stuck on level 42. Has anyone gotten 3 stars on 42? If so, how? Youtube doesn't have a walkthrough yet. From looking at a forum on another site level 45 is also giving people problems, but haven't gotten there yet.
I could find nothing on 42.

adinah
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

The BEST Northern Tales so far!

[Post New]by adinah on Aug 3, 14 7:39 AM
I think this is the most fun of them all. Number 3 was frustrating and almost impossible in timed. This one takes several tries with different approaches but most of them are doable. I check every day for solutions from Ricoblade for the one's I do not achieve 3 stars.

I love the story line and the fact that we have a senior citizen hero who shows his age. A lot of us who have the leisure to game are getting older - but we like to feel we can contribute. I hope they come out with NT5 at about the same level of difficulty.

T_Doctor
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by T_Doctor on Aug 3, 14 12:45 PM
I would give this a good review. It is similar to the first few in this series with some added underwater adventure. The premise is the same, but still rings with fun and is enjoyable. I like this series.

srg9
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by srg9 on Aug 5, 14 6:32 AM
A thoroughly delightful game! As always, I've enjoyed this one as well!

skipper23
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by skipper23 on Aug 6, 14 9:44 AM
This game is so much fun. They have made it a lot more challenging. After the first few levels it got tougher. But that is what you want. You don't want an easy going game each time. There is more strategy plus time management with this game. The graphics are a lot better this time around. I noticed that first off. The underwater scenes are a treat. Some may not find that so great but do you really want the same old thing with each game. There is so much more to do and find this time around. I do agree with some comments that the history of the Vikings where the trees pop up could have been improved. With all the other improvements this area was left on the table so to speak. But in the end what a nice surprise to see another addition to the series. I hope they are working on a fifth game.

jhazydaz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by jhazydaz on Aug 7, 14 4:03 PM
This game was great and challenging and I'm still working on level 44! Can't find a walk through. I'll keep pulling my hair out till I get it though. Nice graphics. I've played them all and await the next.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Aug 9, 14 11:17 PM
angelfish106 wrote:I've loved all the previous Northern Tale games but although I bought this latest episode without bothering with the demo, I'm not so keen on it. It started off fine but I'm not a fan of all the underwater levels; they seem far too cluttered and I found some of the creatures hard to distinguish from the background scenery.

The characters are all familiar and I was glad to see Rollo back; he's my favourite! Tasks are the usual; clearing pathways and building/upgrading sawmills, farms and goldmines. Nothing really new apart from the underwater scenes, which seem to take up the majority of the game and introduce some bizarre creatures! There are also items to collect on certain levels e.g. Rollo's shield, a mermaid's purse etc. Some are quite hard to find.

There are 3 modes of play; untimed, normal and multiclick, which means you can chain tasks. I'm currently playing untimed and already I've come across some levels which are going to be hard to complete in timed mode!

A nice enough addition to the series (which seems as though it may be the last) but I could have done without so many underwater levels.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Aug 9, 14 11:19 PM
When I saw another Northern Tale, I was really excited, but hate the underwater stuff. The sound of the incessant like whales or whatever it was suppose to be about drove me insane.

ERMc
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by ERMc on Aug 14, 14 10:37 PM
I really enjoyed NT 4! Some of the levels were really challenging. Without the help of fellow fishies who post on the forum, I would have been lost on some levels. Thanks SO MUCH to the expert players who help the rest of us to get through with the beloved 3 star gold.

Hope we get another instalment of this saga maybe with the heir of our now older hero.

[Post New]by 51103_dmk on Aug 24, 14 4:35 PM
I have made it through all levels and bonuses with three stars. LOVED this game! Can't wait for NT5 to come out!!! I see some people did not care for the underwater levels, I wanted more of them. They gave the game a "new" feel and not just "some of the same old same old". I hope the developers keep adding new "scapes". I also liked the having to light the lamps in the bonus levels. Anything new to add more interest is much appreciated by me. PLEASE MAKE MORE NORTHERN TALE GAMES!!!

lacard
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by lacard on Aug 28, 14 8:01 AM
Cromaxgal wrote:When I saw another Northern Tale, I was really excited, but hate the underwater stuff. The sound of the incessant like whales or whatever it was suppose to be about drove me insane.

Yes. Drove me and my cat crazy. It's some kind of high-pitched sound in there I think. I had to mute it. I've also had problems seeing everything in these underwater levels so I'm playing un-timed. I played all the other Northern Tales Timed and made 3 stars after figuring them out. This one --- the underwater levels are slowing me down quite a bit. Still it's a fun game and I still love the characters. Just Un-Timed !

[Post New]by bjrabaker on Aug 28, 14 2:42 PM
I don't know why I bought this game. Though I've played many other time management games and enjoy them I've not played Northern Tales before, and I am not fond of this game at all. I don't mind a challenge, but I play games to relax and I find this game frustrating and annoying; a waste of my time and money.

Go to: