Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Shadow of Torment Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jul 31, 14 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews!

(And thanks to catbag for filling in while I was on vacation!)

Edited on 07/31/2014 at 5:44:45 AM PST

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Shadow of Torment Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jul 31, 14 2:11 AM
Professor Burns is back!

Based on the completed demo 69/90 minutes.

I thoroughly enjoyed Tree of Life and Living Mountain and here is #3! What a treat!

Sadly the portals and black smoke are back, but that was always going to be the case in an Amaranthine Voyage and they are interwoven into the story well. As with episodes 1 and 2, the doughty professor is drawn into a world under threat and must save the day but this time needs an 'innocent' to help her; enter Victoria the rather dim but terribly enthusiastic student.

Visual/sound quality was brilliant as ever from this (seemingly very busy at the moment) developer. The occasional purplish scene, which no doubt some will moan about but mainly bright and colourful. Music was appropriate to the scene.
Challenge was a good mix with some very straightforward puzzles and others (including HOSs) really very challenging.

I encountered 3 HOSs during the demo. All had morphing objects within (and an indicator to remind you). The first was a 3 stage silhouette puzzle and the other two were lists with a couple of interactive elements, one of them over three stages. All three finished with a riddle to find the desired object, which were quite tricky. There is a bubble popper alternative.

Massive CE bling:
* Bonus chapter
* Flower collection (41 flowers of remembrance to find with a helpful indicator to remind you)
* Souvenir Room
* Lore Book
* Find Objects (replay HOSs)
* Puzzle (replay puzzles)
* 3 HOSs from other games to play (you find them in the game to activate)
* 18 achievements some with 3 levels
* Making of
*Movies/Music/Pictures
* 4 gameplay levels; Casual/Expert/Insane/Custom

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable game and, as I cannot resist this developer, it will be a buy for me come the weekend.

Oh, and BTW, no issues or glitches for me. Fast download and smooth play. Windows 7

Highly recommended for a trial!

NYtaxi
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Shadow of Torment Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by NYtaxi on Jul 31, 14 5:28 AM
wann hören diese Märchen für Kinder endlich auf!!!!!!! Warum gibt es keine Spiele für Erwachsene ??????

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jul 31, 14 5:44 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Amaranthine Voyage: The Shadow of Torment Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Amaranthine Voyage: The Shadow of Torment Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

GogaO
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Shadow of Torment Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by GogaO on Jul 31, 14 9:52 AM
NYtaxi wrote:wann hören diese Märchen für Kinder endlich auf!!!!!!! Warum gibt es keine Spiele für Erwachsene ??????

"Nur wer erwachsen wird und Kind bleibt, ist ein Mensch."

Zitat von Erich Kästner

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Shadow of Torment Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Jul 31, 14 11:54 AM
I gave it a try, even though I didn't like the first two very much. Unfortunately I like this one less.

It's just too simple. The HOS items are gigantic, whether you are looking for the listed items or a silhouette. The interactive items are obvious, and the player is given hints when they click on one of the elements needed. The PUZZLES too were very easy. Maybe no easier than in the first Amaranthine games, but I don't remember if that's why I didn't like them. Could be!

The graphics and the world are beautiful. Fairytale world with fantasy flora and fauna.

There are collectibles, and a few obvious orbs to find that allow access to HOS in the extras. But, these are not new HOS extras made for the game, they are just HOS from previous EIPIX games. Hope that isn't a new trend, just throwing old HOS from old games into the mix and calling them "bonus content!" For the price of a CE, if we gain access to any special content it had better be new content!

Played fine, no glitches. But, I found it just plain boring. I really don't care what happens to our Professor!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Shadow of Torment Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 31, 14 2:17 PM
Hi all. This is the 2nd in the series, the first was an excellent game and this one is even better. The graphics, animation and voice overs are extremely well done. Voices actually had some emotion and didn't sound like someone was just reading a script. Game play was excellent, no problems and filled my large screen completely. The colors were wonderful. Some were a bit muted, but it depends on where you are in the scenery and how the sunlight, or even just the light, would bounce off of something. Very well done and very realistic. Music was quite nice and moved with what was happening at the time.

To be quite honest with you, I got so engrossed in the game, and found that it flowed so well, that I didn't even open the map or the SG. That is a major plus for me. The hint system was quite helpful and teleported you if you had a long distance to travel to the hint location, rather than just keep telling you to go back. Big time saver, so you have more time for the game. The hint recharged fairly quickly.

HOPs were very clean and clear, no junk piles. Items were not difficult to find. Some were the standard word HOP and others were silhouettes. These were done a bit differently, in that you had "sections" to do and did not have everything listed at once, so you were searching different areas for items. You also have 17 morphing objects to find in the HOPs. They aren't really difficult to see, you just have to remember to look for them. Puzzles were not difficult, but some were different and a little challenging.

The only collectibles I found were the 41 flowers of remembrance, which were not too difficult to find. Some are tucked away, so you have to look for them. You had to find jewel shards for a "tool" you use during the game, which give you another item to use within the game. You find other parts and pieces in the game that provide you with pieces of the story as you go along. There are numerous achievements as well.

No, the story isn't new, but I found this game to be extremely well done, fun and interesting. I believe this one will appeal to all levels of players. I do not give 5 stars easily, but this one has it all, with enough challenge to keep you moving and wanting more. Yes, I am definitely going to purchase this game to add to my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Shadow of Torment Collector's Edition

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 31, 14 3:29 PM
No Shadow, Just Torment

A portal to another world. An ancient artifact. A devilish black cloud. You must put everything right or evil will triumph.

Did I mention anything new yet? Well don't expect it.

I have played two prior games in the Amaranthine Voyage series, both were pretty good. One, Living Mountain, was very good.

Perhaps I played the demo of a different game than the other reviewers. The characters were not very interesting. I did not care whether they escape from Anther or defeat the evil Torment. The game has far too much pink and purple - and then you enter the portal to Anther where it just gets worse. To top it off, objects in the inventory are used in illogical ways.

The story is presented on a level for young children, so they might appreciate it.

For the game play, I am introducing two new terms based on this game. "Pseudo-hidden objects" and "pseudo-puzzles." You get the idea, I don't need to elaborate.

The rest of the game, such as it is, is ok as far as quality of drawing and voices. I'd say a good game for beginners or children.

For this adult, it was just torment.

Edited on 07/31/2014 at 5:04:41 PM PST

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Nope!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jul 31, 14 4:13 PM
I found the game suited for young girls. I do believe they would enjoy the fantasy and artwork. I played the free play and found it was not a difficult game.

Now with that said being an adult who has truly enjoyed the classic games of Dire Grove, 13th Skull, the Ravenshearst series I find myself these days going through my purchases and replaying all games I enjoyed in the past. These games were not easy, they challenged one to think. I just played Escape from Ravenshearst and found the game challenged me and parts had scenes that amused and with a tad of disgusting things one had to perform.

Its ok with me that BF offers a wide range of games to attract various age groups but it is time to present us with a block buster for older, experienced players that entertains, scares or scenes that even have disgusting feature.

In Escape from Ravenshearst Mama and the maternity ward was hillarously disgusting. 13th Skull well fixing a take out for Cooter the same.

Dire Grove was shall I say a sophisticated game.

I am tired of fantasy games of the variety as this one.

waVcraZd
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,052 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Shadow of Torment Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by waVcraZd on Jul 31, 14 4:17 PM
steve_san wrote:
No Shadow, Just Torment

A portal to another world. An ancient artifact. A devilish black cloud. You must put everything right or evil will triumph.

Did I mention anything new yet? Well don't expect it.

I have played two prior games in the Amaranthine Voyage series, both were pretty good. One, Living Mountain, was very good.

Perhaps I played the demo of a different game than the other reviewers. The characters were not very interesting. I did not care whether they escape from Anther or defeat the evil Torment. The game has far too much pink and purple - and then you enter the portal to Anther where it just gets worse. To top it off, objects in the inventory are used in illogical ways.

The story is presented on a level for young children, so they might appreciate it.

For the game play, I am introducing a two new terms based on this game. "Pseudo-hidden objects" and "pseudo-puzzles". You get the idea, I don't need to elaborate.

The rest of the game, such as it is, is ok as far as quality of drawing and voices. I'd say a good game for beginners or children.

For this adult, it was just torment.

I'm not trying to cause trouble but, I don't think I've ever read a positive review from you Steve. Do you like anything in the HDO category?

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Amaranthine Voyage: The Shadow of Torment Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 31, 14 6:11 PM
WHIRLING, SWIRLING, UP AND DOWN, - IN AND OUT ON THE ROLLER COASTER PORTAL OF THE COSMOS (AND THEMES)

We return to Amarinthe again in a game by the PixIES. This game has elements from many familiar television shows , books and movies and swirled them together to create this hodgepodge game. In the beginning we start with a "spicy" "Dune" moment, reciting a poem referring to a prophecy of an Avatar savior who will save the planet from the darkness, indicated by the black smoke (cough,cough) coming to Planet Earth. Then through a portal which looks similar to the one from the Stargate Atlantis (very old Sci Fi network show) we are led by a female Indiana Jones - Professor Burns. She, as your adventuring archaeologist, leads you the through the portal onto an alien planet - Anther. Now the devs could have opted to continue with a full blown "Alien" moment, but instead chose the standard storybook fairytale kingdom. You also have a ditzy "sidekick" student and another archaeologist, Charles WInfield , (aka Nerd Boy) to assist you in destroying the TORMENT - reminiscent of the Dark Lord from Star Wars.

The graphics are phenomenal as usual for this dev. In comparison with other devs, this game is a visual delight. However, I do not like the storyline. Actually, in this case, I thought the story started to fall "flat" (along with the space -time continuum) in this game. However, as usual for this dev, the puzzle and HOP scenes are phenomenal. The HOP scenes contain several scenes and different methods of locating items - through silhouette, cryptic clues, puzzle like sequences. The puzzles are unique as well and very well done. The collectibles are flowers of remembrance and there are morphing objects. There are 3 levels of play plus you can customize your game. You receive the map at the beginning of the game.

This is not my favorite game series from the PixIES. Devs - I hate to say this (sob, sob) but not quite up to your normal brilliance! I RATE THIS GAME 4 PLANETS OUT OF 5 PLANETS FOR A CE. GOOD JOB BUT NOT STELLAR!

BTW, Don't despair Steve - Live long and prosper on Planet BF! Eventually they will develop a inhabitable game on this planet for you.

Edited on 07/31/2014 at 7:42:11 PM PST

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jul 31, 14 9:51 PM
Played the demo, and while the graphics were lovely, there wasn't anything else great about the game. There is the same portal to another world painted in pinks and purples, the same black smoke who "Torments" the world, and the same old storyline that you must fulfill the prophecy to save the world. I will pass on this game.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Aug 1, 14 2:52 AM
Beautiful game! Excellent graphic's work, great puzzles and artwork! I like the options for the bubbleshooters instead of hos, which to my opinion are a bit too frequent in the game, thou the variety of solving is different each time! The story line is "seen" before, but the dynymic of the evolving is unique! The scenery is breathtaking, ad there is a map that teletrasport you in a new location! I have played only two chapter so far, in expert mode, and I strongly loved it, 6 achviements and more to go, we need it a game like this in a long time, thanks for this pearl of game!

P.S. (I forgot to mention the music and the sound's efxts, really outstanding)

Edited on 08/01/2014 at 2:59:15 AM PST

[Post New]by philanna3827 on Aug 1, 14 10:03 AM
NYtaxi wrote:wann hören diese Märchen für Kinder endlich auf!!!!!!! Warum gibt es keine Spiele für Erwachsene ??????

Whaaat?

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Aug 1, 14 10:25 AM
philanna3827 wrote:

Whaaat?

NYtaxi wonders why there are so many games for children, and wants more games for the adult player. (Since you often ask "Whaaat?" when a post is in a language other than English, may I suggest google translate? Just copy and paste it in and there you have your translation.)

The same question has been asked by others (no, not "whaaat?" about more adult games). I wouldn't want to say this is a child's game, but it is quite simple with extra large items to find. It's a very pretty game, but with no substance. Nice to look at, but boring to be there!

Edited on 08/01/2014 at 10:28:08 AM PST

Sorry I bought this one

[Post New]by gofordiana on Aug 1, 14 12:47 PM
I remember liking the original one and went ahead and bought this CE. Unfortunately the glitches began right after I bought it. I hint button suggested going back to the bridge and now there is no escape I am stuck in the early stages of the game. And I agree that the HOS and mini games are way to easy. Unfortunately making the game harder does not actually make the game harder ....... only less hints. I regret spending the money and do not think I will even try to finish .....since starting over seems to be the only option.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 1, 14 1:58 PM
RE: nytaxi - I believe the moderators should do this. Any German speaking staff members at BF to help this poor guy or gal? However, I shall say something to our German fish. I do not know any German (which I believe the nytaxi driver is?); however, there are sites on BF for games in other languages and I believe German is one of them. If you access the site, you can get the games provided for you in your language. I believe you can leave reviews in the native language as well, but I really don't know. And, the great thing is that you can "meet" other German speaking fish there as well. You should not post here as postings here are reserved for English only. If you cannot understand this, then maybe a friend can translate for you.

Edited on 08/01/2014 at 2:16:39 PM PST

siscokid
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by siscokid on Aug 1, 14 3:49 PM
Leaving the detailed description for the narratives that are into that sorta thing. As for me, plainly speaking....I really don't understand what all the hoo rah is about in the rave reviews. I swear, there is particularly one reviewer whom never ever gives a bad review on any new release, which tends to make me think they are on BF payroll. Didn't know there was a job description for a sales booster by writing positive reviews even if it is a "stinker". But, I digress....

There is nothing new here, same ol, same ol. Personally, it was another ho hum, been there, done that, seen it before kind of game. Simplistic in it's challenge and colors are a bore. Grainy to me... I am still waiting for that wow factor. I know there are only so many imaginative ideas one can come up with, but hey, that's why they pay you the big bucks right? So, with that being said, it's a pass for me. It appears as if they are on the treadmill, churnin and burnin just to make a quota...."a new game every day!" That in itself is a challenge I would think! Especially for the pressure to deliver as a developer to amend to that contract agreement. Maybe if BF revised their pitch, and agreed to 2 new games every week or so, we would see better and more innovative creations. Ah, but what do I know? Simply an opinion is all...no haters please. We are all entitled to them.

Edited on 08/01/2014 at 3:51:01 PM PST

cheekyoops
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by cheekyoops on Aug 2, 14 7:30 AM
I loved EIPIX's earlier games, but lately, not so much. This game is awful, looks like an elephant game, which I also don't like. Black smoke, items in my inventory are un-recognizable unless I click on them to see what they are. And the irritating HO scenes, where the hints are blobs.

I almost always finish games , even bad games, but this one is trashed !!

nyc240
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by nyc240 on Aug 2, 14 9:27 AM
I agree with so many posts here. Devs are not creating games of interest in the casual gaming genre. Many (perhaps most) of us are adults who are no longer interested in the standard HOS fare. Where are the real gamers' games?? We are all so tired of finding shapes and plopping them into holes to open another shape for yet another hole.

BFG is rapidly becoming a little fish in what games they have to offer, and I have been a very loyal customer to date.

Go to: