MaryEl
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

Another portal game

[Post New]by MaryEl on Jul 31, 14 4:50 AM
I have been playing and really enjoying The Lost Legends Weeping Woman. No portals! Hope this trend (portals and traveling to other dimensions), wears its self out soon because as soon as I see portals in the description, I don't even try the game. Maybe August will bring something new and different. However, I am sure there are those of you that really enjoy this kind of game and that is great and I hope you have fun.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

Re:Another portal game

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jul 31, 14 5:20 AM
This anti-portal sentiment on the boards lately is somewhat amusing to me. Not sure why they are such a terrible thing. To me, they are simply a game mechanic that allows the developers to place you in whatever world they are designing the game around. A few years back I watched the forum backlash against car crashes. This vendetta against portals is very similar. All the games back then seemed to get you to the spooky house by way of a automobile accident. This is when most games involved ghosts, demons, witches and so forth and not so much fantasy. People complained about that and hence the emergence of fantasy portal games. I am guessing that without being able to crash your car into a tree to get you stuck in the place you are supposed to be, developers are using portals. Are people missing having their cars careening into ditches to start the game?

Are there any suggestions for an alternative for getting you stuck someplace so you can save the world or defeat the evil entity du jour? You have to start somewhere and it seems the poor portals might be getting kicked to the curb.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 31, 14 6:01 AM
It's not that portals to another place/time are a 'terrible thing'; it's just that lately they're in virtually every game, which has the effect of making one game seem just like the last one and the one before that and so on (I'm referring specifically to CE's). It seems as though the devs, when they see something unique in another devs game that has proved popular, all copy that idea until every game release has some form of imitation to the original.

Hence it was all 'lets start with a car crash', then 'let's put someone in an asylum/haunted house', then 'enough of the dark and gloomy, let's do fairytales' and now 'we'll have a portal into another place/time'. It's not the portal idea itself, it's the blatant jumping on the bandwagon by all the other devs that eventually makes players turn against what was initially something unique and perhaps even wonderful.

And I just beta tested yet another 'portal' game; very nice to look at but not a unique idea in sight.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Jul 31, 14 6:43 AM
No matter the mechanism used for the game, I still am a huge fan of HOPAs and never tire of them. As long as I have great HOPA CE games to play, I am a happy camper!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 31, 14 6:02 PM
angelfish106 wrote:It's not that portals to another place/time are a 'terrible thing'; it's just that lately they're in virtually every game, which has the effect of making one game seem just like the last one and the one before that and so on...

Ding! Winner, Winner, Flounder Dinner!

crispypot
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by crispypot on Aug 1, 14 1:08 AM
[

Yes, I miss car crashes, but I don't want to give up portals either. I want cars crashing into portals after a cute helper has made the car swerve on a dark and rainy road, over a bridge, under a cloudy sky with a full moon highlighting the red eyes and sharp white teeth of a troop of werewolves howling on the ridge over the cave where a whole city of vampires seethe and scheme to turn the fairytale Princess in a pink and purple gown who won’t even so much as kiss a dear cursed frog into one of the cold mysterious undead while her twin sister is taken hostage by some big fog and or smoke creature that releases the spiders that kidnap her brother who is trying to find his fiancé who was tricked into following a witch disguised as an archaeologist into a graveyard where nothing is as it seems but everything is very, very familiar.

Sorry, everyone, I’m in a silly mood and just couldn’t resist.

ahhh Tauret
Thanks that made me laugh my socks off you get the award for best giggle quote of the week for me ...
Nice to see a bit of fun on here you cheered me up !!!!!

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Aug 1, 14 1:27 AM
to Tauret

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Aug 1, 14 4:44 AM
Ha ha... that really made me laugh. I have the same whacky humour - I'm just not as good as you are at telling the tales!

Thank you for the giggle, Tauret!

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Aug 1, 14 8:36 AM
Tauret wrote:Yes, I miss car crashes, but I don't want to give up portals either. I want cars crashing into portals after a cute helper has made the car swerve on a dark and rainy road, over a bridge, under a cloudy sky with a full moon highlighting the red eyes and sharp white teeth of a troop of werewolves howling on the ridge over the cave where a whole city of vampires seethe and scheme to turn the fairytale Princess in a pink and purple gown who won’t even so much as kiss a dear cursed frog into one of the cold mysterious undead while her twin sister is taken hostage by some big fog and or smoke creature that releases the spiders that kidnap her brother who is trying to find his fiancé who was tricked into following a witch disguised as an archaeologist into a graveyard where nothing is as it seems but everything is very, very familiar.

LOL! That is beautiful. Love it!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Aug 1, 14 1:29 PM
Tauret wrote:Yes, I miss car crashes, but I don't want to give up portals either. I want cars crashing into portals after a cute helper has made the car swerve on a dark and rainy road, over a bridge, under a cloudy sky with a full moon highlighting the red eyes and sharp white teeth of a troop of werewolves howling on the ridge over the cave where a whole city of vampires seethe and scheme to turn the fairytale Princess in a pink and purple gown who won’t even so much as kiss a dear cursed frog into one of the cold mysterious undead while her twin sister is taken hostage by some big fog and or smoke creature that releases the spiders that kidnap her brother who is trying to find his fiancé who was tricked into following a witch disguised as an archaeologist into a graveyard where nothing is as it seems but everything is very, very familiar.

I just got a sneak peak at that game, its called:

Haunted Dark Mystery Voyage:
The Princess Wolf Vampire Cemetery Adventure

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Aug 1, 14 2:39 PM
Lololololololol Tauret!

The Bonus Game should then be one where the animal helper morphs into a tutu wearing zombie who offers the hero/heroine a magic book that will give them an immediate sex change whenever they want it.....but the hitch is they have to accept having glowing eyes......red for male, green for female, purple and pink for Cheshire.

The other hitch is that the book is not the real book but a morphing book that tries to bite their hand off and there is not a venus flytrap in sight to bite it back into submission nor are there enough fireflies to light the way into the dark and spooky snake and spider filled caverns that always have a choice of three openings to walkthrough.....and if you choose the wrong doorway, some leprechaun shows up to tell you have to go back to the beginning, but you will get the consolation prize of a new refrigerator....except that it won't have a handle.

So, you pick up and haul around your axe/screwdriver/lantern/knife/sword magic talisman that weighs fifty pounds and go back to the beginning screaming bloody murder at everyone because your systems are all up to date and why didn't they program in a jump map....when suddenly! a fairy shows up with an itty bitty cute voice and in between saying "I'm so cute!" she offers to update your computer for you so you can go through the magic mirror and talk to the necromancer who will give you the key to ever unending happiness and reunite you with your long lost twin.

But, as you leave smiling and relieved that it is all over, you see out of the corner of your eye an evil doppelganger of your twin snarling and "washing" their hands in anticipation of revenge.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Aug 2, 14 12:57 AM
lol....I love it too.

As to whether the Devs see it, well, humor is a great way to get across the point that we would like some more originality and continued variety.

I personally DO want a game with Zombies in Pink Tutus....and toe shoes.....
Sort of a Les Ballets Trockadero meets the Walking,Evil Not Alive Things.

and that one, I don't want in all brown tints!....or black, white and red....and I don't want to see a wisp of dark mist.

Go to: