Please post your REVIEWS for Witch Hunters: Full Moon Ceremony Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Aug 2, 14 12:32 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 08/02/2014 at 10:15:28 AM PST

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Witch Hunters: Full Moon Ceremony Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by greenshade on Aug 2, 14 6:19 AM
totally underwhelmed..... appreciate the map (black and white when nothing to do, color when there is, and transportable) and the quick skips and hints in casual (which I always play during a demo) but the HOs were just slightly interactive lists (boring!) and the gameplay predictable.

Will definitely wait for SE so I can purchase with a cc on a Monday if I need to use one.

Still waiting for a game that blows me away......

waiting........

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Witch Hunters: Full Moon Ceremony Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 2, 14 6:27 AM
Didn't really like this game much. For a start I had to un-tick the widescreen option to get the game to fill my w/s monitor, which seems contradictory. The cursor is huge but can be changed for the system one. There are 3 modes of play and even advanced still had glints; no option to customise.

The graphics weren't brilliant; a bit flat and dull looking. Gameplay was standard 'find something, use it almost immediately' fare, nothing special but at least no portals in the time I played. HOS were just ordinary list type with minimal interaction needed. I did one puzzle which I didn't understand but with random clicking, it solved itself. There were morphing objects to find; I found one during the demo (which I didn't play to the end).

The one thing that did bug me; the snake could not be passed without it lunging at you, yet you're able to place a bowl of milk right in front of it's face? And that dwarf was just annoying.

This game seems a bit dated and it's not for me.

ETA: I forgot to mention the clumsy placing of the SG; almost every time I moved the cursor down to leave a room/scene, I inadvertently activated the SG. Not the best place to put it

Edited on 08/03/2014 at 3:06:04 AM PST

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Aug 2, 14 6:44 AM
Pretty spot-on review from angelfish.

I agree that the graphics have a dull look to them and the animation is not smooth, like looking through a flip-book with a few pages missing missing every so often.

The gameplay itself is smooth enough; I found no real issues with it. The couple of puzzles I came across, especially the very first with the 'triangulate the point using 3 shapes' puzzle, were incredible easy. The found object box is way too big. I didn't have an issue with the cursor, and the dwarf was fine enough.

Of course, with only 3 difficulty settings, nothing customizable, you are treated to hand-holding sparkles on HOS, even on the "hardest" setting. Both glints in the hardest level and/or no customizable settings is Inexcusable in this day & age of HOS. Developers - Get a clue, start listening, pay attention!!!

And the music...Lord. The music was some of the worst I've ever heard in a HOG! It sounded like the devs lifted the music from some action adventure/intrigue game. For quick moment I thought I was playing a James Bond game. This "music" is nothing akin to a "spooky" game. It needed atmospheric, creepy, "soft" music. Nothing I can necessarily actually tap my feet to, which you can here. Just SO off...

Maybe a harsher review then others might give, but in the end, this one goes straight to the uninstall can for me, never to be downloaded again.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Aug 2, 14 8:52 AM
Oh, boy, here we go again. I played the survey of this game, and my notes on it say, "Seen before, same old stuff." That's about it. Seen it all before many, many times. Magical mirror... evil witches (at least we know they are witches, and not some mysterious black fog)...

Sparkles on the hardest mode are not acceptable, have never been acceptable for me. Most developers stopped that a few years ago. HOS are junk piles (although it was clever when the troll/dwarf/whatever zapped the gramophone and it turned into a HOS. But, the scene itself was junk.

I had no idea what I was supposed to do in that first (triangular) puzzle! No idea whatsoever. So, I just clicked at random and finished it, getting the achievement and all! Based on the other puzzles, it was probably quite simple to understand!

I thought the graphics were fine, and actually liked the intro scene with the moving van. The game looked promising at that point! Then it went quickly downhill. Definitely not up to 2014 CE standards.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Aug 2, 14 9:10 AM
I am playing on the easiest mode. I find the graphics beautiful and that is a major condition for me when making a purchase. The curser is awkward and often hard to use so I either use a Hint or the Map to move to some locations. Somehow I am not really understanding where to go next in many cases and the Map does not indicate that so I am using many more Hints than I have used in years. Maybe I am just not as smart as I used to be. I like the game play even with some of the oldest moves such as the old Key-stuck-in-the-door trick which is starting to be tiresome.

It has morphing objects which are still fun to find even though they have been around a long time.

There is an animal Helper on the Hint but I think it will do no more than sit there and be the Hint keeper. It is not cutesy - THANK YOU! - and does not seem to need a bed or a home or clothes, etc.

The inventory is just a tiny bit jerky but not a big problem. Minis are not difficult in the Demo and the HOS have a little bit of interaction.

The story is interesting with plenty of "Witches" to eventually defeat.

This is a game I believe I will purchase but I will get it on sale either this weekend or another time. I would not pay full price for it but, I am not paying full price for any games lately.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Aug 2, 14 10:15 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Witch Hunters: Full Moon Ceremony Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Witch Hunters: Full Moon Ceremony Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Aug 2, 14 11:32 AM
Only a Half Moon Ceremony

The story of Full Moon Ceremony is that a Moon Queen is soon to be chosen to rule over the world of light, but a group of witches, curiously including Medusa, wants to prevent this and so they destroy the magic mirror. Until the mirror is restored, the moon queen cannot be chosen. Why? - don't ask, it is a fairy tale. The game begins as the mirror is delivered to your house and an ugly magical dwarf breaks the mirror and threatens your family.

The actual immediate threat is the dwarf destroying your house room by room. The story is lacking in many details, but it takes place in the present day as the first scene shows a modern delivery truck. However your house apparently is stuck in the past - or the developers are - still utilizing old-style keys and a crank-type phonograph. Each time you enter a new room , the dwarf or another being appears and does bad things - something that became annoying even before the end of the trial.

The artwork was good quality, using a full palette and was easy enough to look at. It is good but not spectacular, and for me did not really succeed in creating the immersive atmosphere that is seen in the better games. The voice actors use a totally over-the-top style, more suitable for younger players to appreciate. Sounds were ok - which reminds me, when will someone include a sound for the key falling onto the newspaper?

The game play was probably the best part of the game. You'll have to think a little bit about what to do next, adventure style. The hidden objects were fairly easy to spot but not huge like other recent games. The puzzles were ok as well, easy to moderate. You also have a cat helper, but it was not needed during the trial.

What the game lacks is a single compelling character to make sense of the story - the dwarf isn't - instead of a new creature popping up every time you enter a new area.

There are 35 morphing objects which are a challenge to spot, and the usual achievements, bonus play, strategy guide - I didn't look, and no, I don't ask for directions either - and the usual pseudo extras.

Full Moon Ceremony needs more to make me stop and howl at it.

Edited on 08/02/2014 at 3:57:48 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Witch Hunters: Full Moon Ceremony Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 2, 14 12:45 PM
A "MALEFICENT' GAME NOT WORTH THE "TOIL OR TROUBLE"

There is a cauldron of "toil and trouble" brewing in your kingdom as a New Moon Queen is soon to be chosen. Reminiscent of the movie, "Maleficent," the forces of some evil witches (headed up by the Ice Queen, who could actually be a voice double for Angelina Jolie in the movie) are trying to thwart this coronation. The evil witches wish to keep the world in chaos, cold and darkness. The ghost of your Aunt Isabella appears and asks for your help in thwarting their evil plans. You are to locate all the shards of a mirror which appears to contain the next New Moon Queen, who is trapped. This is no easy task as the evil queens' minion is an evil troll who has been sent to thwart your every attempt.

Some of you have messaged me that this dev has actually produced other games.Their games are so underwhelming I never played any of them - so they never received a nickname.This game is old school. There are three levels of play and in EVERY ONE OF THEM YOU MEET WITH THOSE DREADED SPARKLES! Hey nicknameless devs - have you ever heard of customizing the games? You have an animal by the hint bar who is a cat - but as most cats, is lazy, does nothing, and looks beautiful. This game seems more directed to the little school fish in the pond. The graphics are okay, but nothing spectacular. The HOP scenes are basically junk piles with very little interaction required. You will need your running shoes for all the "back and forth" motion for locating and using the inventory items in the game. There are few puzzles in the game. The puzzles I encountered were ridiculously easy. Really, BF ? We are resorting to Tic-Tac-Toe puzzles in these games now? And, of course, we have the old "newspaper under the door to retrieve the key" puzzle in yet another game. There are morphing objects. There is a map. I played for about an hour and gave up due to boredom and because of the headache I was getting from the constant movement from scene-to-scene and back again.

Being a busy little "honeybee," with a new job offer, I need to set up a new hive in which to make some decent, well-earned honey. I will be "buzzing around" all weekend and don't have time to play this game and wouldn't anyway Now comes the "witching hour" in which this "witch" casts her final vote on this game. I RATE THIS GAME 3 SHARDS OUT OF 5 SHARDS FOR A CE. To me, this game is definitely not CE quality.

Edited on 08/02/2014 at 4:26:53 PM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 2, 14 2:37 PM
Here are some other CE games from the same developer:

Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors
Haunted Manor: Queen of Death
Haunted Manor: Painted Beauties
Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty

I am finding this game quite interesting and fun to play. I really liked the first Witch Hunters game and I think this one is going to be just as enjoyable.

Edited on 08/02/2014 at 2:50:23 PM PST

troischats
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by troischats on Aug 2, 14 3:34 PM
I was quite underwhelmed by this game. The previous game, Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty, is one I actually quite enjoyed, but it seems - to me - that there hasn't been much progression since then. This new game feels, sounds and looks so much like 'Stolen Beauty' (as well as the 'Haunted Manor' series) that I felt it had been more or less cut and paste into a new setting. I'm 99% sure I even recognised a pair of ratty old white SHOES that had appeared in a previous HOG!

From those encountered in the demo, the puzzles seemed pretty simple. The triangular-shaped one was simply a case of moving the cursor over each segment inside the big triangle until the correct shapes on each of the 3 sides lit up (i.e. they matched the ones shown on the left). Dead easy. The puzzle on the lion could have been done by a 4 year old - rotating the pieces until they locked into place and glowed green! I'm not a big fan of MENSA-grade puzzles (I play these games to relax and unwind, after all), but there was literally no challenge in these particular ones.

Times have, of course, moved on and devs are creating new styles of HOG, but I confess I sometimes still like going back to that 'old-skool' list-style. I'm not sure whether these devs are "old skool" fans too, or if they just didn't put the creativity into coming up with something different. I'm trying to be charitable!

Unfortunately we have become accustomed to being able to customise our difficulty levels, so any dev who brings out a game with just the "casual/hard/expert" settings is lagging behind these days, I think.

Graphics were OK, but once again very reminiscent of the Haunted Manor series. Clearly the same architect who built the previous manor houses built the house in this game too, right down to the stone faces on the walls !!!!

I would say this game could be summed up as a case of "old fashioned deja-vu". Apart from the inclusion of a map, morphing objects and achievements, this particular dev has created a game that is scarcely different from games they released years ago, and so familiar in fact as to appear a recycled version. I had high hopes when I saw this game, but sadly it wasn't to be.

p.s. I also thought that the 'gremlin' must be related to a certain other dev's troll-like creature. Didn't like him, or the cut scenes every time you went to a new area!

Edited on 08/03/2014 at 1:10:05 PM PST

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Aug 2, 14 4:46 PM
This looks like an old game, trying to disguise as new...........I too had to go to options to check off widescreen to fill my 21in screen. That's just one reason why I think that this is a game that was in the closet. I don't think this is CE material, the sale helps...........................BUT.......................no buy here..........oops sorry about edit but I also had 1hr. left. I didn't skip or hint anything.

Edited on 08/02/2014 at 4:48:29 PM PST

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Aug 2, 14 4:53 PM
I played on casual mode and it took me 47 minutes to get through the demo, no skips, no hints, and an inordinate amount of that time was listening to dialogue and watching that stupid evil elf ruin my castle. I don't know if that extends throughout the game, as I only played the demo. The mini games were so easy it was a little silly.

That being said, there did seem to be a lot to do in every area, something I highly value in a game. I like to have to solve not just mini-games, but also, to traipse about and find objects to solve puzzles. There was a lot of that. The morphing objects were odd, but I don't want to give it away.

I am on the cusp about this game. I like, as I said, having to do a lot to get objectives accomplished, but the extremely short play time for the demo made me wonder about the overall game time. I'm not sure if this game is worth the cost of a CE, though we do have a sale this weekend. I keep going back and forth: Buy it, don't buy it, find out what happens (do I really care?) etc. I can not yet decide, because this game is a toss up for me. Maybe someone else will tell us about game time and the bonus chapter.

Have a great weekend, ya'll!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 2, 14 5:14 PM
Hi all. Well, a second addition to the Witch Hunters games. I have the first and really enjoyed that one. This one is pretty much the same, nothing really new. Animation was very well done. Graphics were well done too, but when you pick up an object, it's almost like it starts to open and then quickly jumps into the boxed screen that shows you got it. Can't quite explain it, but a bit odd. Not a smooth transition from where it is to where you have actually picked it up. Other than that, the graphic were clean and clear and had very nice colors. Game play was very good, no problems at all. Voices seemed to fit the characters and ages. Jump map was quite helpful and areas are well marked and identified. Didn't care for how they identified an area that had something to be done...it was in color, where the other areas were in black and white. Silly, yes, but I didn't care for it. Also didn't care much for the music. Seemed to always be building up to something exciting happening, but then it didn't. It just didn't fit each scene very well, and got annoying very quickly.

SG was the usual and it stayed on the last page visited when you leave the game and then return later. This is always a plus for me. Instructions were very clear and easy to follow. SG only shows 2 chapters, so hard to determine about how long the game may be. The demo seemed very short, as I still had 53 minutes of a 90 minute demo, and I am not a fast player. Hint system is a cat, but he/she is very quiet and only meowed once during the demo. Hint is very helpful and fills very quickly. HOPs were the standard with nothing new, but were very clean with clear colors. Some were a bit cluttered, but items were not difficult to find. Puzzles were very simple.

The only collectibles I found were the morphing objects, which I happen to like. They are not difficult, but you do have to look for them. There are also 15 glass shards that you need to find, in order to repair the vanity mirror...you find out why when you play the game.

This was not an extremely challenging game, but it was interesting. I am not sure it is CE worthy, so I will put it in my puddle and think about it. This game will probably appeal to all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Aug 3, 14 12:24 AM
Pretty simple

The game is boring

The game does not play wide screen

No Buy

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Aug 3, 14 12:30 AM
Unfortunately I must agree with lots of other reviews on here that say it's boring and dated, I didn't even finish the demo which really does say a lot for me,
Instead I replayed a game I bought two years ago and seeing as I'd forgotten lots of things in it really enjoyed the experience and didn't cost a thing.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Too short but an Enjoyable Game!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Aug 3, 14 2:15 PM
I did enjoy the game. It was not in the category of a blockbuster however I found it entertaining. Lot's to do and stretched my old brain where to then use an item. I take pride in finding morphing objects but I didn't rack up impressive finds.

The dwarf critter was a nice touch. I liked him. The games length was short and that includes playing the bonus chapter. That is not a big deal.

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Aug 4, 14 9:41 PM
I played the demo and when it stopped I had 42 minutes left! What's up with that? What happened to the 60 min demo????? A very short demo. I found the dwarf extremely annoying and the storyline didn't seem to flow smoothly. Back and forth, back and forth. Not impressed.

[Post New]by liferpoet on Aug 14, 14 6:40 PM
fragmented story, too easy just requires too much going back and forth, boring conclusion.

[Post New]by gapeach61 on Aug 24, 14 2:35 PM
I just bought the game and some stuff is much easier to find once you buy the game.
I agree about the jumping back and forth from room to room but no biggie, the only thing that annoys me is I am stuck, I need a red ribbon and can't find it. some rooms still have things to do but I can't get to what I need to do it with. I guess you have to acquire certain things before you can get to others. I am at a stand still now. What can I do? And every time you turn around you need a key to unlock something, where the heck are all these dang keys? Anyone? Thank You!

Go to: