A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 08/03/2014 at 8:22:33 AM PST

sn665
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow here

[Post New]by sn665 on Aug 3, 14 1:35 AM
I just finished the demo and found it quite good. Just one thing, make sure in options that you unclick widescreen. For some reason if you don't it's blurry and very hard on the eyes. Play the demo first.

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Aug 3, 14 2:45 AM
Thank you sn665 thats much clearer

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by greenshade on Aug 3, 14 5:41 AM
LOVE, LOVE this game! Saw the reply about unchecking widescreen? so went back to my game and noticed I left everything checked and had no problem seeing anything.

The gameplay was super and fun... much better, imho than more recent offerings. Especially loved the HOs which were not your standard lists. Skipped a lot of puzzles because I get too impatient but thank goodness for the custom mode where I could set for fast skip.

I did NOT like the gadget (to zap the magic barriers) where you had to set it to certain numbers to activate it but once again the fast skip helped. But loved the lamp that took you into an alternate environment.

For me the gameplay is the most important and I did spend hours trying to rescue the kidnapped daughter.

There's a map that will show you where you have an active objective but I tried the hint button and it showed you the scene and was transportable. I didn't have to use either too often.

This offering has made me want to go back and play again... which I'm doing so if you'll excuse me........

j62janet
Clownfish
Clownfish
638 Posts

[Post New]by j62janet on Aug 3, 14 7:31 AM
Thank you for the tip on the size of the screen, the picture is so much better now, so far this game is good

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Aug 3, 14 8:21 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 3, 14 10:28 AM
I tried playing the Collector Edition but had problems. Didn't have any with the SE Edition and really enjoyed the game. It has lots of different things offered in the game and liked the map, puzzles and HOG's. The story was new and different. After doing the trial will buy the SE and give this 4 out of 5 stars..

mortbarba
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by mortbarba on Aug 3, 14 10:33 AM
daisyduck352 wrote:I tried playing the Collector Edition but had problems. Didn't have any with the SE Edition and really enjoyed the game. It has lots of different things offered in the game and liked the map, puzzles and HOG's. The story was new and different. After doing the trial will buy the SE and give this 4 out of 5 stars..

mortbarba
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by mortbarba on Aug 3, 14 10:34 AM
have u reached the pet shop yet that were problem with magnet is //////

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Aug 3, 14 1:47 PM
Will This Flower Bloom or Wilt?

In this installment of the Secrets series, of which I have only played Eclipse Mountain, sixteen year old Marie Kolak is captured via a portal generated from a flower she receives from an unknown source for her 16th birthday. In the portal world, an evil being was spawned from a certain flower. Some time later, the being was defeated but her servant is trying to revive her. He needs three pure souls to feed to the flower in order to regenerate the evil being.

Marie's father, Joseph, is a former military pilot who has called you in to investigate and get his daughter back. An event occurred during his military service that made him and Marie a target of the the being. Village fortune-teller Stephanie is available to help guide you.

Overlooking the explosion of pink and purple which opens the game, the artwork and cut scenes are fairly well done - except for a small plane which is quite out of scale and far too small. You'll transport between the two worlds several times as you progress. The world inside the portal is quite dark, and relies more on a palette of greens, grays and browns.

Game play is not heavy on hidden objects Hidden object scenes are not simple lists, but require interaction. Puzzles are fairly standard, a little more difficult than the easy ones we've seen recently, but not hard. You have a device to dispel the barriers the spirit puts in your way, it's very simple to use.

Music, sound effects and voices are good, but the character's lips do not move.

The CE has collectible flowers "HERE I AM" and morphing objects "HERE I AM", but these are large and obvious, "HEY YOU!"

In my opinion, while there is nothing wildly distinctive about the story or play, it seems to be well made and at least has some moderate degree of difficulty. Of the two editions, the flower I would pick is the standard.

Edited on 08/03/2014 at 2:30:40 PM PST

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Aug 4, 14 7:21 AM
@sn665 - thanks so much, the CE version had been fuzzy on my computer and I nearly didn't bother downloading the SE. It is so much better after unchecking the wide screen option. I will go back and try the CE version and then decide which I want to buy.

Susanna2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Susanna2 on Aug 4, 14 9:10 AM

A very nice game, well worth the price, I loved the graphics and even more I loved that the game is settled not only in a magic, but in a MODERN world as well. This is ever so rare unfortunately that I am grateful for every game that's not playing in a kind of fifties-or-older-time with a spooky manor somewhere....
Still it has this "smoky evil creature" and I wait for a developer who really "develops" something new in this department.....

I recommand to give it a try, while it's not on the very long side it is well made and better that a lot of the same old same old CE's that came out lately.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 9, 14 7:38 PM
Well, I don't think this will be buy for me in either CE or SE edition. Any game that will not let me put my name in as the player puts a bad taste in my mouth right from the beginning. But, I did continue to play as "PLAYER" since that is all the game would allow me to type.But a few issues along the way swayed me to the "don't buy" rather than the "buy". My curser would get a little "floaty" at certain times which is really annoying. The map was helpful in a limited way, as the highlighted blue scenes showed where there was supposedly something to do, but I would get "LOCATION CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE", half the time. Plus, the scene where you have to sauder the faucet handle, just didn't work for me. Couldn't get that right no how!!! So, out of pure frustration, and not having my own identity (!!) to play, I am passing on this game for now. And to quote Cyndi Lauper,"Girls just want to have fun", - --- not aggravation!!!!

feenix

Enjoy the summer, it fasts approach leaving us!!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Aug 12, 14 7:24 AM
I enjoyed this game, it was a nice length, not too many HOS and they were easy and kept the game moving along. Very good annimations, voice-overs and graphics.

The transporter map was excellent and was definately needed since this game was all over the place. I had no technical problems and didn't feel I needed to use the walk-though to move through the game.

My only complaint, and this is because I have zero patience with tedious mini games/puzzles is there are A LOT of them in this game and the skip took FOREVER so unless you just LOVE puzzles, this would drive you crazy...you could go mow the lawn waiting for this skip to load. Not good. The hint, however, loaded very quickly.

For those who dislike "soft and fuzzy" animals this game has one, and is rarely used, but sits in your inventory and just stares at you. The game could have worked without it.

This SE works well on its own and has a complete ending. I give this game a 4- out of 5, mostly because of the large amount of tedious puzzles and the long skip. Otherwise it had a nice length and was enjoyable.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 23, 14 7:40 PM
Well, I pretty much hate puzzles except for jigsaws and mazes so I will say a polite "no" to this game and probably will not ever know why sparkles appear for about a millisecond above the inventory when the hint button is used and then disappear.

Edit: I've played more of the demo and, comparing it to so much that is offered out there which is of such low quality (in other words, I am having a lot of problems finding a game that is good at all!), I am thinking of buying this game. I'm reading about a lot of problems in the CE but not so many in the SE.

So - I may purchase this game as an SE even though the CE has some of the things I like. I'm not sure yet but, if there are glitches, I usually end up getting them.

It's getting bad when the number of glitches end up being the deciding factor in the decision to buy a game.

The good:

I like the graphics. They aren't jerky, at least not yet, and the colors are bright.
I also like the storyline. I am interested in what is happening.
Puzzles can be skipped and the skip button doesn't take a horrendous amount of time to recharge (unlike a game I started to play yesterday). I can't expect every game to only have the puzzles I like and maybe I can learn to like puzzles other than jigsaws and mazes.

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 11:12:53 AM PST

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Oct 8, 14 7:11 AM
I did like the game but of all the Secrets of the Dark games, #1 is still my favorite.
Still, this was a fun game to play.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Nov 2, 14 6:34 PM
I completed it yesterday and enjoyed it very much. The graphics, storyline, music were just fine and the mini-games were varied and I liked them even though I skipped a couple that had too many repeated moves and I had not the patience :/
I found the game ran smoothly with no big deal glitches

If I remember correctly the previous "Secrets of the Dark" series had no jump map and I appreciate that the developers listened to us & did a fine one for this game

All in all I liked this game , enjoyed this game and the jump map was appreciated
I giving this one out of a possible 5 .....[1 for the map addition ]

I played on PC with Win 7, 64bit !

Go to: