LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Strategies for playing Midnight Castle

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 3, 14 8:49 AM
I asked these questions in another topic and the responses were so good that I thought if would be of benefit to all players to start a new topic.

I would love to learn more about strategies from other players. It would be great if you would answer a few questions I thought of and please share any other tips you have.

There are 33 HOS in the game where I am on level 33. How long would you say it takes you to do all 33 HOS?

When you are doing a round of HOS do you pause to collect all 3 morphing flowers before going to the next scene?

Do you play the new HOS scenes quickly or do you play them slowly so they don’t level up so soon?

How many rounds of HOS do you usually complete a day?

Do you feed pets as soon as food is available or do you wait for a Daily Quest that requires feeding pets?

Do you ever use diamonds to bring the Airship back early so you can send it more often than every 4 hours?

Do you play the Game Table every 12 hours? Do you have any strategy for which character to play and when?

Do you have a limit that you will not go beyond when spinning the Fortune Wheel?

When doing quests, do you read what the character says at the top of the quest before and after the quest? (I often forget to do this and lose parts of the story line.)

How many games of Midnight Castle do you have as different players?

How do you keep your pointer finger or wrist in shape? (mine is sore)

Statistics:
What level are you on and how many tasks have you completed?
How much time have you spent playing?
How many flowers have you collected?
How many HOS completed?
How many achievements?
How many pets?

Do you have any other tips for players?

There are lots of successful players here in the forum and I would love to hear strategies from many players.

Edited on 08/03/2014 at 3:58:36 PM PST

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

Re:Strategies for playing Midnight Castle

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Aug 3, 14 9:01 AM
Lizzie Wrote:
I would love to learn more about your strategy so I hope you will answer a few questions I have thought of and please share any other tips you have.

How long would you say it takes you to do all 29 HOS? Between 25-35 min.

When doing a round of HOS do you pause to collect all 3 morphing flowers before going to the next scene? Absolutely. I do one HOS/Collect 3 flowers/do the other HOS, then move to the next scene.

Do you play the new HOS scenes quickly or do you play them slowly so they don’t level up so soon? Quickly, The higher HOS level the more coins to earn each visit.

How many rounds of HOS do you usually complete a day? About 50 or more per Week. I don't play everyday. So a weekly average of approx. 7-8 rounds per day.

Do you feed pets as soon as food is available or do you wait for a Daily Quest that requires feeding pets? I feed regularly and keep at least 2 feedings available for daily quests.

Do you ever use diamonds to bring the Airship back early so you can send it more often than every 4 hours? A couple of times as I was trying to finish a 10-part daily.

Do you play the Game Table every 12 hours? Do you have any strategy for which character to play and when? Yes. I went for the Dragon Fighter achievement and played dragon everytime. Then the Lucky One achievement and any character with an "item" to win. Now I play any character who has the item that is most used in game.

Do you have a limit that you will not go beyond when spinning the Fortune Wheel? I only go for the free spin. If there's an expensive to craft item then 500. Egg then 1000.

When doing quests, do you read what the character says at the top of the quest before and after the quest? Yes

How many games of Midnight Castle do you have as different players? 2

Do you have any other tips for players? Don't play everyday. Take one or two days off a week and do something else to avoid burn out.

Statistics: (counting my main game only)
Level 34 - game time 26d, 12h, 28m - 1080 quests - 102,052 Flowers - 21,021 HOS completed - 76/81 Achievements - 19 Pets

Silver Hawk

Edited on 08/03/2014 at 9:02:57 AM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 3, 14 9:58 AM
The answers from these great players are very helpful to me. This will change the way I play the game. I hope more players will post their strategies.

DivaDoodle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,119 Posts

[Post New]by DivaDoodle on Aug 3, 14 10:19 AM
I am answering even thought I am at a much lower level, just in case it is important for comparison
How long would you say it takes you to do all HOS? I just have the town opened and have 2 HOS there, I keep losing track counting how many there are, anyway it takes me 35-40 min to complete what I do have.

When you are doing a round of HOS do you pause to collect all 3 flowers? Yes but I don't always see 3, some places like the Witch I rarely see any until it's too late

Do you play the new HOS scenes quickly or do you play them slowly?I try to play fast but my fast is probably someone else's slow!

How many rounds of HOS do you usually complete a day? when I started,all day, Since July 2-3 max--I am askeered of burn out!

Do you feed pets as soon as food is available or do you wait for a Daily Quest? I feed first thing after doing the hos, more if in a daily, or if I feel lucky!

Do you ever use diamonds to bring the Airship back early? no

Do you play the Game Table @ 12 hours? Do you have any strategy? Haven't yet, (not awake that long) I play for the stuff, I want the Turtle egg! I start with the least expensive, If I lose I switch to the next char.

Do you have a limit that you will not go beyond when spinning the Fortune Wheel?1200 if it is ever an egg or something I have never seen before--I know not really strategic but it is fun!

When doing quests, do you read what the character says at the top of the quest before and after the quest? Yes it is always interesting!

How many games of Midnight Castle do you have as different players?One

How do you keep your pointer finger in shape? (mine is sore) it's my wrist that gets me

What level are you on and how many tasks have you completed? level 24, 589quests
How much time have you spent playing? 8d8h53m
How many flowers have you collected?6843
How many HOS completed?3944
How many achievements?52
How many pets? 7

Other tips?Play other games as well so you don't get burn out!!!! I play MC and 2 others every day(except vacation)

Edited on 08/03/2014 at 10:31:08 PM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 3, 14 10:46 AM
I stopped playing this game on August 20th due to the extreme high cost of opening new areas, repetitive multiple quests and boredom. The answers below were from when I was playing.
There are 33 HOS in the game where I am on level 33. How long would you say it takes you to do all 33 HOS? 40 - 45 minutes

When you are doing a round of HOS do you pause to collect all 3 morphing flowers before going to the next scene? yes

Do you play the new HOS scenes quickly or do you play them slowly so they don’t level up so soon? I have played both ways; I prefer fast.

How many rounds of HOS do you usually complete a day? I haven’t been playing full rounds of HOS because my finger hurts. I usually play 4 or 5 times a day and more on the weekends.

Do you feed pets as soon as food is available or do you wait for a Daily Quest that requires feeding pets? As soon as possible, I don’t pay too much attention to the daily quests anymore.

Do you ever use diamonds to bring the Airship back early so you can send it more often than every 4 hours? No

Do you play the Game Table every 12 hours? Do you have any strategy for which character to play and when? I often forget about the Game Table. I usually play Anabel (she’s easy) and if I win I will give the Dragon a try.

Do you have a limit that you will not go beyond when spinning the Fortune Wheel? Like a fool I don’t have a limit.

When doing quests, do you read what the character says at the top of the quest before and after the quest?. I often forget to do this and lose parts of the story line.

How many games of Midnight Castle do you have as different players? I have 3. One on level 11, one on level 15 and my main game on level 34.

How do you keep your pointer finger or wrist in shape? I wear a wrist support but I just have to take Advil for my poor finger.

Statistics:
What level are you on and how many tasks have you completed? 33 with 1003 quests
How much time have you spent playing? 15d 15hr 40min
How many flowers have you collected? 36285
How many HOS completed 9183
How many achievements? 69 How many pets? 16 & 1 egg to hatch

Edited on 08/31/2014 at 4:23:33 PM PST

Bedazzles
Clownfish
Clownfish
567 Posts

[Post New]by Bedazzles on Aug 3, 14 11:25 AM
There are 29 HOS in the game where I am on level 33. How long would you say it takes you to do all 29 HOS? I currently have 33 HOS...takes me about 20 min start in Tavern work my way all the way thru

When you are doing a round of HOS do you pause to collect all 3 morphing flowers before going to the next scene? I used to care more about flowers, if I get them fine if not no biggie.

Do you play the new HOS scenes quickly or do you play them slowly so they don’t level up so soon? When I first open them I try very hard not to level them up to quickly so the recharge time is shorter, but just as soon as I finish the update I cannot handle the slow play method and get in an out as quick as possible.

How many rounds of HOS do you usually complete a day? This varies greatly, some days maybe 1, other days 6,7,8 just all depends on how much time I actually have.

Do you feed pets as soon as food is available or do you wait for a Daily Quest that requires feeding pets? I have no regular way I feed my pets, but I will always try to maintain enough food to be able to feed them for Daily Quests. I have found that if you hold off feeding them and build some inventory for the food, it seems you get more food.

Do you ever use diamonds to bring the Airship back early so you can send it more often than every 4 hours? I have used diamonds to bring the Airship early if a Daily Quest requires it...but generally no.

Do you play the Game Table every 12 hours? Do you have any strategy for which character to play and when? I have no set time to play...I normally wont play unless a Daily Quest takes me...or if I know my Daily Quest doesnt need it then I will play it. Some days I am sure I play 2x others just 1

Do you have a limit that you will not go beyond when spinning the Fortune Wheel? I typically will just spin the wheel 2 or 3 times unless there is something I really want…then I will not go over 1000/spin.

When doing quests, do you read what the character says at the top of the quest before and after the quest? (I often forget to do this and lose parts of the story line.) Yes I generally read the quests…but please don’t quiz me as I am sure I would fail…LOL

How do you keep your pointer finger in shape? (mine is sore) I will get hand craps from time to time, sometimes I just play with my stress ball..hand loosens

Bedazzles
Clownfish
Clownfish
567 Posts

[Post New]by Bedazzles on Aug 3, 14 11:34 AM
Statistics:
What level are you on and how many tasks have you completed? Level 34/1080
How much time have you spent playing? It says 22d15h16min not sure how accurate this is as it was on 99 hrs for a very long time prior to the 2nd update
How many flowers have you collected? 40511
How many HOS completed? 24532
How many achievements? 75/81
How many pets? 19

I personally feel that the social aspect of this game is the biggest draw for me...I love gifting someone something that I know they really need, it brings me a lot of happiness to feel I could put a smile on someones face from across the world. I also love the forum.

Another thing I do is setting small goals for myself...such as I will see how long it takes to me get a certain amount of coins...or I will save up pet food till I reach a certain number.

One of my main goals is to get the Pirate Girl Avatar...so obviously I need pet food and lots of it...I get so excited after finishing a HOS and I get a pet food...it is like I just won the lottery!!! Of course there is the disappointment of not getting any after many searches...but I dont let that stop me from continuing.

I would say just realize this game is supposed to be ongoing, don’t worry about the end results just enjoy when you do play…some of us have been around for a very long time and others are just starting today…we should be aware of that when posting in the forum not to scare these new players to death, this is a wonderful free to play game and I am always excited to see an update, but I always play between updates as well…some people might just play for a few hours a week and wish they had more time…it is a great escape…if you reach burn out status…relax…take a break from it…I will say I am only going in to collect my daily award, spin the wheel, check the airship, and dice, and dangit I will do a complete run thru!!

Ran out of room on the Dice Question...Until I got my Frog Queen Avatar I only played the Dragon. Now I am trying to finish the quest for winning items..so I only play ones with items. I find that in general playing the Dice is a losing proposition...I might not play very much after I get the 200 items won achievement...as this part of the game does frustrates me.

bayouguy
Clownfish
Clownfish
815 Posts

[Post New]by bayouguy on Aug 3, 14 11:52 AM
How long would you say it takes you to do all 29 HOS? 40-45 minutes. Between HOSs, I run to the fridge, bathroom or play with my dogs, you get the picture.

When you are doing a round of HOS do you pause to collect all 3 morphing flowers before going to the next scene? Flowers first. If they don't show up I do the HOS and usually I can get all 3 between HOSs.

Do you play the new HOS scenes quickly or do you play them slowly so they don’t level up so soon? I play as quickly as I can with no concern for levels, rewards, or rankings etc.

How many rounds of HOS do you usually complete a day? 3-8 depending if I am on all day or just playing between errands etc. I don't work so I can play at will.

Do you feed pets as soon as food is available or do you wait for a Daily Quest that requires feeding pets? Right now I am only feeding pets if required for Daily Quests.

Do you ever use diamonds to bring the Airship back early so you can send it more often than every 4 hours? Very rarely, but I have done it once or twice in the past.

Do you play the Game Table every 12 hours? Do you have any strategy for which character to play and when? I play the game table only when required.

Do you have a limit that you will not go beyond when spinning the Fortune Wheel? My limit is usually to 500. I am kind of irregular. If there is an egg and I even notice it and I have enough coins I might play farther than that. More than 50% of the time I only play the wheel when required.

When doing quests, do you read what the character says at the top of the quest before and after the quest? (I often forget to do this and lose parts of the story line.) I am not real interested in the story so, generally, no. I just go straight into the quest.

How many games of Midnight Castle do you have as different players?Just one.

How do you keep your pointer finger or wrist in shape? Don't have that problem.

Statistics:
Level and tasks?
34 lvl 1080 quests
Time spent playing? 39d 3h 17m
Flowerscollected? 24,444
HOS completed? 13,517
Achievements? 68
Pets? 18

Do you have any other tips for players? Take it easy & patiently. You can play this game w/o spending any real money(although I have spent some). You must be willing to bide your time.

Edited on 08/03/2014 at 11:52:51 AM PST

AJ__
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by AJ__ on Aug 3, 14 12:27 PM
There are 29 HOS in the game where I am on level 33. How long would you say it takes you to do all 29 HOS?
I have 33 HOS currently, and it takes me slightly less than an hour.

When you are doing a round of HOS do you pause to collect all 3 morphing flowers before going to the next scene?
Yes.

Do you play the new HOS scenes quickly or do you play them slowly so they don’t level up so soon?
I've always played them quickly, since the faster you level up in a HOS scene, the quicker you can earn 50 coins each time.

I try to do at least 3 rounds a day, but with life and all that good stuff, sometimes it is only once or twice.

Do you feed pets as soon as food is available or do you wait for a Daily Quest that requires feeding pets?
I feed them as soon as it is available, trying to tackle the feed pets 1000 times achievement.

Do you ever use diamonds to bring the Airship back early so you can send it more often than every 4 hours?
No.

Do you play the Game Table every 12 hours? Do you have any strategy for which character to play and when?
Yes. I have no strategy for the dice game, it seems completely random with wins/losses. I only have one dice game achievement left to do (the 200 object one) and after that I will probably not play dice unless needed for a daily quest.

Do you have a limit that you will not go beyond when spinning the Fortune Wheel?
500, unless there is an egg that I do not have, then I will spin until I get it.

When doing quests, do you read what the character says at the top of the quest before and after the quest? (I often forget to do this and lose parts of the story line.)
Yes, I love that aspect of the game, even though sometimes the storylines make no sense.

How many games of Midnight Castle do you have as different players?
None at the moment. I did try to start one for in between updates, but I left it after level 10. One game is plenty to keep me occupied.

Statistics:

Level 33, 1031 quests completed

15 days, 9 hours, and 48 minutes

How many HOS completed?

How many achievements?
74/81

How many pets?
13/20

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 3, 14 12:53 PM
All of the answers are great!

I am having such a hard time with my finger getting sore. I posted a video of my hand and my poor pointer finger on youtube. You can find it my searching youtube for Midnight Castle Player's Hand. This is the kind of thing I do in my breaks between playing.

Edited on 08/03/2014 at 1:29:32 PM PST

guppies56
Clownfish
Clownfish
798 Posts

[Post New]by guppies56 on Aug 3, 14 2:19 PM
LizzieK wrote:All of the answers are great!

I am having such a hard time with my finger getting sore. I posted a video of my hand and my poor pointer finger on youtube. You can find it my searching youtube for Midnight Castle Player's Hand. This is the kind of thing I do in my breaks between playing.

ROTFL are you touting for hits?

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Aug 3, 14 2:48 PM
Hey LizzieK

Thanks for starting this thread! This will be a really helpful resource for any others wanting to try out the strategies of their fellow players!

I've gone ahead and added this to the Helpful Links for Midnight Castle thread under Tips, Tricks and Guides so everyone can find it easily

Thanks for your great contributions!

bfgVaiya

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 3, 14 5:22 PM
Bedazzles wrote:Statistics:

Another thing I do is setting small goals for myself...such as I will see how long it takes to me get a certain amount of coins...or I will save up pet food till I reach a certain number.

I love Bedazzles idea of setting small goals within the game. This will keep the game play fresh with small personal rewards.

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Aug 3, 14 6:26 PM
I also agree with Bedazzles with setting small goals. One of my first was to get the 10,000 flowers achievement. Then a personal goal of 25,000, then 50,000, then eventually I made a personal goal of over 100,000 flowers. It made the time pass better and made a pretty decent sum of coins for all the effort.

Kenthawk
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Kenthawk on Aug 6, 14 2:27 PM
LizzieK wrote
There are 33 HOS in the game where I am on level 33. How long would you say it takes you to do all 33 HOS? I am at level 32 and have 31 HOS about 35 to 45 min.

When you are doing a round of HOS do you pause to collect all 3 morphing flowers before going to the next scene? Yes, when I first open an area I look for the flowers. I will wait for them before starting an HOS. (sometimes I forget to look)

Do you play the new HOS scenes quickly or do you play them slowly so they don’t level up so soon? I play them quickly, so I can move to the next one. I also try to beat my high score. Lizzie my finger is also sore as my work is computer related

How many rounds of HOS do you usually complete a day? 3 to 4 a day, maybe more on the weekend if I have time.

Do you feed pets as soon as food is available or do you wait for a Daily Quest that requires feeding pets? I have a supply built up. I will do a couple of pets a day and save the rest for daily quest and gifts.

Do you ever use diamonds to bring the Airship? No, I will wait the 4 hours.

Do you play the Game Table every 12 hours? Yes. I am still trying to get the achievement's for the dragon and items.

Do you have a limit that you will not go beyond when spinning the Fortune Wheel? Around 1,200 if I have an egg I am trying for. In my second game the wheel came up with 3 eggs on it. I was floored. Of course I don't have the coins to play it and had to spend a little real money. I won 3 eggs.

yes
How many games of Midnight Castle do you have as different players? 2, level 32 and level 8
How do you keep your pointer finger or wrist in shape? (mine is sore) So is mine

Statistics:
What level are you on and how many tasks have you completed? 32/988
How much time have you spent playing? 15D 8H
How many flowers have you collected? 19,340
How many HOS completed? 11,662
How many achievements? 71/80
How many pets? 16 and 1 not hatched

Hojunkie
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Hojunkie on Nov 18, 14 9:05 PM
Hi , love midnight castle and totally hooked! At level 43. My code is i526080
If anyone knows what to do with the chest that appears in place of the "quests", I could use your help. Thanks

aussiegirl1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,017 Posts

[Post New]by aussiegirl1 on Nov 18, 14 9:40 PM
Click on it and you will get new quests !!

Hojunkie
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Hojunkie on Nov 23, 14 2:46 AM
Thank you... That is what I do but new quests appear anyway when one is completed or timer runs out. I would think that the chest appearing would signify something other than just a new quest?

KimcW
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by KimcW on Jan 17, 15 7:57 AM
Hojunkie wrote:Thank you... That is what I do but new quests appear anyway when one is completed or timer runs out. I would think that the chest appearing would signify something other than just a new quest?

Don't know if this helps but when I click on the chest I get coins &/or items.

Drafe
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Drafe on Jan 17, 15 8:17 AM

I always pause and collect whatever is visible. I only wait for all three if I have nothing better to do.

First 16, I do pause a bit to delay maxing out the timer. Once I open the last 6 HOS in the Castle Area, I don't.

At least one full one no matter what. Max is probably 4 when I have time. However, the first 16 I do as many times a day as possible!

I always keep at least ten of each food. I feed only when I'll be left with ten. The ten is a cushion if I need it for DQ's

Only very very early in the game when I need the coin more than I need the diamonds

I only play when the DQ requires it OR if there is something I immediately need for a task. Otherwise, never

As a rule, I only spin three times daily not counting spin agains and stars. If there is something valuable or needed, three additional times max

Neither really, I hardly pay attention to the story

Statistics:

36, 1152

9 days, 5 hours

How many HOS completed?

How many achievements?

72/80

How many pets?

9 Crafted, 5 Eggs hanging out
(I don't believe in crafting the very costly eggs unless you have a ton of resources, like those waiting for months for an update. I suggest only crafting one of each food type until then, save the extra eggs however)

Edited on 01/17/2015 at 8:30:15 AM PST

Go to: