_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

more help re. Max Mojo, pls?

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 4, 14 1:34 PM
I'm copying this from the Reviews thread, for some more explanation, please:

desktopgaming wrote:... The end of the level comes when Max's Mojo runs out (shown below the stack/foundation card), even if there are cards left on the stack.

Dave
Desktop Gaming

desktopgaming wrote:...
The game isn't timed at all*. If you're referring to Max's Mojo depleting, then it's worth mentioning that it only decreases when you turn over a new foundation card, so you can take all the time in the world and it won't make any difference to the outcome.

* The only part of the game where time comes into play is in the Five Peaks mode, where the time taken to get a perfect score is recorded.

Dave
Desktop Gaming

sorry, I'm not sure I get it - 'who is Max Mojo, and why is he depleting my bar?'

=> If it decreases when turning a foundation card (only), why/how can the level be over "even if there are cards left on the stack"?
Does it mean - if you mean the cards already turned over with "stack" (?) - that I can turn the cards only once? (which seems to be the case, unless I buy another Shuffle?)

edited to add this part, also from the Reviews thread:
The shuffle feature and when a level ends weren't explained in the tutorial (that I noticed), but I did find out the "mojo" refills when you make lots of matches, and once I actually got a shuffle. You have to be pretty fast to clear the board! ...

I didn't see these explanations in the Tutorial either, so: Does the Max Mojo bar refill? with a BIG combo, or when being fast?
I didn't have the impression I could get anywhere with this.

And in this context, is there a connection to the Shuffle?

Edited on 08/04/2014 at 1:43:04 PM PST

Re:more help re. Max Mojo, pls?

[Post New]by desktopgaming on Aug 4, 14 1:48 PM
Hello _DD

The only way the level can end is if a) You remove all cards (thus scoring a "perfect"), or b) Max's Mojo runs out (when it gets low, the gauge below the foundation card starts to glow and you'll hear a heartbeat sound).

It doesn't matter whether you have any foundation cards left or not - it's Max's Mojo that determines when the level is over. If you DO run out of foundation cards, that's when you get to shuffle them and continue playing until you either clear all the cards, or Max's Mojo runs out.

Oh, and for the record, you can't buy a "shuffle".

Dave
Desktop Gaming

Edited on 08/04/2014 at 1:49:19 PM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 4, 14 2:07 PM
hi Dave,

thanks for the fast reply!
There are so many updates in the game (love the different card sets ) that I must have thought the Shuffle would be there also. Esp. as I didn't get one again after its first use.

Unfortunately, my question re. MM isn't answered; I don't see how it determines when the level is over, as you say it is not time-based. And whether it can be refilled or not. Yes, I noticed the flashing, and it sure feels like (time) pressure.

For the moment, I'll file it under mystery. Thanks again.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 4, 14 6:00 PM
DD, pretend the Mojo is the card counter. Each time you use a card, the yellow line decreases. When you are close to the left, you will know you don't have many cards left to play. And when the line is completely gone, you have ran out of cards.

Personally, I would have preferred a card counter, so I would know exactly how many cards I have left in the deck, but you get used to the Mojo style.

Edited on 08/04/2014 at 6:05:19 PM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 5, 14 8:17 AM
Thank you, Valdy! It was confusing to me that it was stated there isn't a connection to the foundation cards ("It doesn't matter whether you have any foundation cards left or not"), nor the turned cards, nor a timer... but simply a card counter - that makes sense. I'll try to look at it that way next time. Thanks again!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 5, 14 7:19 PM
For me, not having a card counter is the only flaw in the game. The Mojo isn't a very good idea, because quite often it looks as if I still have several cards left in my hand, when all of a sudden the game is over. I could use more strategy if I knew how many cards I have left to play.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 6, 14 10:51 AM
I'd agree about the card counter, Valdy (although I usually go for the 'show next card' purchase first <g> ) -- did you check, maybe it can be bought as upgrade as in other games?

Edited on 08/06/2014 at 10:51:54 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 6, 14 7:37 PM
No, unfortunately, you can't buy a card counter. That's one of the first things I buy when I play the "Fairway" solitaire game.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 7, 14 9:38 AM
I see. Thanks for the reply, Valdy
BTW, did you happen to find out whether the Mojo bar can be increased again, f.e. by big combos, or anything?

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Aug 7, 14 10:14 AM
I had asked a similar question yesterday - it looks to me like it goes up a tiny bit when you make combos above 5, but not nearly enough IMHO. Then again, if it went up too much it would make the game too easy! Oh, well - still fun!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 7, 14 6:27 PM
Yes, I have noticed the same, kgustavson, that suddenly, after a large combo (not just 5 though), the line does go up again. However, that is a very confusing way of showing how many cards we are still allowed to use. I would have preferred just a set amount of cards and a card counter.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 8, 14 8:37 AM
The game is still very confusing to me in this regard. As said above, I didn't have the impression, that anything increased the Mojo bar again, and I had combos far over 5 or even 10. (I was paying attention to it, cos I found the amount of huge combos in the demo amazing and was wondering, whether it was really random or programmed that way for the start phase of the game.) I also don't see how a card counter would be influenced by combos at all, and simply missed an explanation esp. for the Mojo bar (f.e. in the tutorial). I like to understand the possible strategy in a game, if there is one. <g>

Thanks again for your replies, Valdy and kgustavson, and happy gaming!

whizzie1
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by whizzie1 on Aug 30, 14 7:37 AM
I am old, and apparently, old and stupid because for the life of me, I can't figure out how this "shuffle" thing works. After I've depleted all my cards, and my Mojo has run out, how do I shuffle the cards to try and complete that level. I either figure this out or I'm deleting the game. It's just not fun anymore.

Edited on 08/30/2014 at 7:37:37 AM PST

whizzie1
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by whizzie1 on Sep 5, 14 2:55 PM
I wanted to reply to my previous message in that I finally figured out the "shuffle thing" in this game. Thanks to all of you that helped me out with this conundrum.

Go to: