catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Hoyle Illusions here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Aug 5, 14 1:47 AM
A thread for your reviews!
(where did PP go? )

Edited on 08/05/2014 at 6:47:18 AM PST

Sheila155
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hoyle Illusions here!

[Post New]by Sheila155 on Aug 5, 14 4:26 AM
This is a very poor offering today. The hos are just straight lists with no interactive items. The puzzles, few and far between, are very old and rather boring. eg picking a lock, 3 card monte (follow the queen).

There is only one difficulty, which is full of sparkles and constant hand-holding comments. I didn't find the game at all challenging.

You can collect playing cards during the game to allow you to play puzzles from the main menu screen. The first puzzle was Klondike Solitaire after finding 10 cards, and the next one was 3 card monte. when you have found 25. I wasn't impressed, but others may like this extra.

I found the game dark, simple and boring. It is heavy on the hos and came over as a very old game.

The only redeeming factor for me was the music which I found quite pleasant and unobtrusive.

This will not be on my buy list, but I'm sure there are fishies out there who will enjoy this old-style game.

I also found the forum confusing with it leading into reviews for a Mahjong game of the same name. I spent time typing this into the other game forum before I discovered this one. I hope people can find this one!

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Aug 5, 14 5:15 AM
Only for HOS fanatics with 20/20 vision and infinite patience

The premise sounded intriguing: a Battle Royale between two great magicians. Made me think of a favourite film "The Prestige".

Checked the main menu and found that there were collectibles (52 playing cards) to open up mini games. Hmmmm!

Began to play. And that's when it started going downhill!

There is no choice of gameplay and the uninvited tutorial holds your hand from the start. Unless you have NEVER played a HOG before, you do not need to be told to find objects from the list!

You begin by playing one character and then, as the story unfolds, you switch between her and her fiance. This could have been a redeeming feature. Another is a magical way of finding inventory objects, but after the first few it just becomes boring.

HOSs - all lists, all junk piles, all a bit dark, all with tiny objects. I played 10 during my 60 minute demo, one was repeated (I had to find some of the same objects which were in exactly the same place as before!) and the same objects cropped up in all of them.

Puzzles? Well don't get me started! For the first I had to find 4 music sheets, I found 3, placed them dutifully onto the music stand, went to search for the 4th, clicked in error on the piano and there I am in the puzzle with no escape and no clue of what to play! Had to skip! 2 other puzzles were so frustrating, I skipped them too (and I usually love puzzles!)

Music in the main game is OK, in the HOSs it is repetitive and irritating. Graphics are so old fashioned and dark. VOs are none existent - all reading and popping up too often to state the obvious.

You have probably guessed by now that I will not be buying this game even with a coupon.

I repeat: "Only for HOS fanatics with 20/20 vision and infinite patience"

Edited on 08/05/2014 at 5:17:04 AM PST

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Aug 5, 14 6:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Hoyle Illusions here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Hoyle Illusions.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Aug 5, 14 8:14 AM
Come on BF this is either the same game that game out the frist of the year or it's a copy cat one.I remember playing the frist and it wasn't a beta either.This is so unfair as one fishie said she bought the frist and comes up and overrides the one she had.Is this where we are headed.I have a coupon about to loose the 6th cause no good SE's to get and I know wed's game will be a Se of a CE I probably own,i hate to loose a coupon.I won't purchase this game for sure.

Go to: