Please post your REVIEWS for Spirit of Revenge: Cursed Castle Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Aug 9, 14 12:34 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 08/09/2014 at 6:19:39 AM PST

Bluecassie37
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Spirit of Revenge: Cursed Castle Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Bluecassie37 on Aug 9, 14 5:57 AM
OK, this is going to seem picky, but it does wind me up when things are set in Britain but items are named American.

It grated when within 5 minutes of the game you are handed a flashlight (torch).

If you are setting some thing in Britain (or any country), do the research. MCF are particularly bad for it.

Frequent HOS but I did love how some items suddenly changed to evil - made me jump twice. The morphing objects are hard to click on - you have to wait until they are morphing one way before it works.

Like the idea of the story; think I'll wait for the SE though.

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Spirit of Revenge: Cursed Castle Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Aug 9, 14 6:21 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Spirit of Revenge: Cursed Castle Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Spirit of Revenge: Cursed Castle Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Aug 9, 14 8:24 AM
Bluecassie37 wrote:OK, this is going to seem picky, but it does wind me up when things are set in Britain but items are named American.

It grated when within 5 minutes of the game you are handed a flashlight (torch).

If you are setting some thing in Britain (or any country), do the research. MCF are particularly bad for it.

I respect what you're saying, Bluecassie, but did you consider that maybe/possibly the developers simply do this because the games are played by people of so many different countries? The U.S., Europe, and all other countries share many of the same items and names of the various objects (for illustration purposes: 'torch' could be used by both European and Asian countries, while 'flashlight' is used by both the U.S. and Australian countries, etc.). . .all while the setting of the game takes place in Great Britain, Iceland or. . .Istanbul. Everybody can identify, in their native land, what the object(s) is and learn different name useage (i.e., 'torch' & 'flashlight'). The developers have been doing this for years and I've always viewed it as a way to learn something different about other countries. . .even something as small as the various names of the same items we all use universally.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Aug 9, 14 8:32 AM
Really nice game. Beautiful graphics, excellent voice acting, very well done and varied HOGs and I'm really enjoying the morphing items which usually just annoy me... these change quickly enough that I'm not left staring at the scene for minutes at a time. Great sale too. Yay!

ETA: I figured the cop used the word "flashlight" because he was talking to an American. It didn't seem terribly jarring to me.

Edited on 08/09/2014 at 8:34:08 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Aug 9, 14 10:09 AM

Cursed Castle is a Blessing

It's refreshing to find something interesting here today. The concept is not really new: an old family, the Flatsbury's, and a castle, a curse, and of course, a flaming knight - literally flaming, I should add . This story you are investigating as Ms. Gates takes place in modern England, but the castle and curse date back to the 13th century.

This is not the usual rehash of the familiar elements we've been putting up with of late. The designers clearly put some thought into the game as well as the game play. There are quite a few hidden object scenes, but they present as progressive, put back, silhouette, reassemble and other variations, as well as the standard lists. They will take a little more time to solve than average.

One thing I especially liked was there was not too much dialog or constant attempts to scare. There are a few here and there but they're very brief. Recognizing there is enough creepiness in a 13th century castle, they don't over-do it. The voices we do hear are well acted: very serious policemen, - or should I say constables - a child, and a ghostly being. The play is not too hard, but you do have to think a little bit.

There is a map, and also a journal which keeps a record of the cut scenes and clues you find. There are morphing objects too, and they are more difficult to spot than most. These objects vary by scene to add even more difficulty. I had a little trouble collecting one, but I kept clicking and eventually collected it.

There is also a gallery - you'll collect pieces of paintings as you progress and when you have all the pieces, you'll reassemble the painting. These are jigsaw type puzzles, really not too hard. Once assembled, the paintings add to the back story.

There is a lot of fun here, and I have not yet mentioned the music which complements the eerie atmosphere perfectly, keeping the tension high and not distracting from the play. And the semi-realistic drawing style which is easy on the eyes and utilizes a full palette.

Curse or no, this castle is worth exploring further. I'll give it four flaming knights.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Aug 9, 14 10:49 AM
Just plain love this game. enjoy

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 9, 14 11:21 AM
Thought this to be a very good game and enjoyed playing it. Never realized that we call something a flashlight and it's a torch in England? I learn something new everyday. Liked the puzzles and the different way they had the HOG's. Had all kinds of older things like puzzles, finding differences etc.. The hints could have stayed a little brighter as they got dull when you put them there. All in all like the game and give this a 3 out of 5 stars..

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 9, 14 11:45 AM
HAUNTINGLY BEAUTIFUL LOVE STORY
HEARTS OF DESIRE CREATE A KNIGHT ON FIRE WITH IRE

From the ghostly castles of the British Isles, we have hauntingly romantic detective game from the "Game Vendor." Ghosts abound as the result of a tragic love story set in the 13th century involving Lady Agnes, part of the nobility and her beloved, Isaac, a Master Mason and a commoner. Isaac built the Flatsbury Castle - but his illicit love for Agnes somehow unleashes outrage by her father with ghostly consequences and a curse for all of the future generations of this family.

You are Ms. Gale, a psychic detective, called in by the British police involving the disappearance of all of the members of the Flatsbury family with the exception of little Jessie. This little girl bears an eerie resemblance to her ancestor Agnes. Is this resemblance the reason she was spared? She is very shaken and you cannot get her to speak of the incidents which caused her family to disappear. As you investigate the disappearance, you encounter the ghostly appearance of a fiery knight, the spirit of Agnes, and ghostly messages throughout the castle. What happened to the family? Who is the fiery knight? What happened to Agnes and Isaac and how did their love create the curse on this family?

This is an excellent game with a very few exceptions. There are three levels of play with no option to customize the game. This option should be available on all CE games. The video sequences were blurry on my computer; however, the rest of the graphics were good. The HOP scenes are well-crafted and puzzle-like. To me, the best part of the game were the uniquely different approach this dev has in creating the HOP scenes. I enjoyed the HOP scenes as there were some new "twists and turns" in playing these. ]There is a good mixture of puzzles from easy to difficult. Puzzles can always be skipped and I did not encounter any puzzle which was extremely difficult. The "muzac" is not distracting. There are morphing objects to collect and throughout the game you collect puzzle pieces to ensemble an array of portraits of the family.

This would be a nice game to play tonight in a dark room under spell of the ghostly light of the super full moon. Shadows, secrets and mists abound in this game. Such a wondrous game with such a sad tale. I RATE THIS GAME 7 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS - THE EXTRA TWO STARS ARE FOR THE "STAR-CROSSED LOVERS." I WILL DEFINITELY PURCHASE

Edited on 08/09/2014 at 4:44:10 PM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Aug 9, 14 1:38 PM
What a relief ---- just in time!!!!

As others have already so ably explained, here is a story driven, exceptional game that definitively moves away from the goofy, the silly, and the childish entries we've been flooded with of late. It restores my faith in good, interesting casual games.

-interesting, varied HOS scenes
-puzzles that need a bit of thought
-spooky atmosphere assisted by non-intrusive music
-a story that has had some thought put into it

So, with just one game, it can be clearly shown that intelligent, adult oriented games are still possible. Very good game that gets my full support!!

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Aug 9, 14 2:48 PM
I played the demo and this is a "MUST HAVE" for me.....great graphics, good storyline and some interesting takes on the usual HO's and mini-games......

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 9, 14 3:15 PM
Well, despite the costuming of the historical Flatsbury family members way out of their eras, Jessie, apparently British but having a North American accent and referring to her mother as mom, but at the same time a drawing by her of her mother has the word "mummy," the attempts at various British accents by the cops (I've heard worse), and a lot of HOP's, I got more involved in this game than several I've demoed recently. I liked the story, even if Agnes is dressed like a Disney princess from no era at all. The morphing objects are the newer kind which can only be picked up when they morph, making it challenging to spot them sometimes, let alone pick them up, and the demo did not allow access to the collectible locations. I'm not a big HOP fan, but the HOPs in this game were pretty varied and as someone said, it takes more effort to do them - pick up items in one and place them in another HOP; pick up items in order to unlock actions to collect other ones; as well as "normal" HOP's. I skipped some of the mini-games -- they were complex enough that I decided to save time by skipping, when it took longer to complete them than I would have liked. One problem: Nvidia GEForce on my computer didn't do true color for this game, which is a problem with Nvidia, so that, for instance, in one mini-game, the color yellow almost looked identical to the color green. All in all though, I liked the game and I will probably purchase with the sale.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Spirit of Revenge: Cursed Castle Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 9, 14 5:58 PM
REVIEW OF COMPLETED GAME

A MARVELOUS GAME WELL WORTH THE DISCOUNTED PRICE

Being UNDER the weather (and glad I am INside not OUTside today until I am OVER whatever I have) I played the complete game. I am amazed on how well-crafted is the foundation of this game. The HOP scenes are puzzle-like, unique and well-done. There is definitely a wide array of puzzles ranging from very easy to slightly difficult. Thank you devs for some brain crushers among them. I had some trouble with a couple of them and spent quite a bit of time on them. ITo me, the games were easier in the beginning and got progressively harder as you proceeded in the game.

BE PREPARED - The storyline takes some unexpected twists and turns as you travel through this game which has an unexpected surprise ending. To me, this is ONE OF THE BEST GAMES we have had for some time. Thanks to BF and the devs for a fabulous game. I was not able to stop playing once I started.

HINT ALERT - There is a secret reason why our Master Mason is a Mason It is a sad story but has a rather happy ending. Our "daily and knightly crusade" to the BF fish pond lands to convert them into bringing better adult games has worked! I completed the game in about 6 hours - so let that be a guide.

Edited on 08/09/2014 at 7:25:22 PM PST

troischats
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by troischats on Aug 9, 14 6:33 PM
First of, I have to say that I enjoyed this game, although I didn't find it particulary challenging (I'm no brain of Britain, but I didn't have to consult the SG or use up a hint once). Also, it felt - to me, anyway - as if it could almost be a Dana Knightstone game, right down to the music. That's no bad thing, as I like the DK games very much, particulary the first one - and this one gave me such a feeling of deja vu.

You are "Ms Gale", asked by the British rozzers to investigate the mysterious disappearance of Lord Flatsbury (great name, btw) and his son, James. The only person left behind is young Jessie. (So, the sister and brother are called "Jessie" and "James" - someone's having a giggle, right?) Straight away the inspector asks if you "might have some cocoa in your car" to help soothe the young girl. Sure, chief, I carry cocoa around in my car all the time for beverage-related emergencies like this! Soon you find that all is not as it seems, and there are some very disgruntled spirits loitering around the castle. I presume we have to make all these spirits happy before Lord F and James can be safely returned to the land of the living.

I liked that effort had been made to vary the HOPs, and that - again - it looked like a lot of thought had gone into the puzzles to try and make them that little bit different. They weren't very difficult at all, that's the only thing, and it makes me wonder how long this game is, and how long it will take me to play. I completed the demo with just 23 minutes left out my 90 minutes, so hopefully that's a good sign!

Just to be pedantic, I did notice that, at the very beginning, the police van (which looks very British otherwise) is a left-hand drive, which made me laugh. Obviously the devs have no idea that we Brits have our steering wheels on the right! It was a little niggle, though, and apart from that I thought the accents were done reasonably well, definitely not the worst I've come across (and I've heard some stinkers!).

I'm thrilled that (so far, anyway....) this doesn't appear to be yet another game involving fairies, amulets, fluffy helpers or portals to purple-tinged fantasy worlds.
I think this game is on my "to buy" list, especially with this weekend's latest sale.

p.s. I thought it would be worth mentioning that I had absolutely no glitches or other problems in my playing of the demo.

Edited on 08/09/2014 at 6:34:47 PM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Aug 9, 14 7:13 PM
I agree with the positive reviewers. This was a nice lite story. Enjoyed the game until the bonus play. The bonus was way to short for a CE. Other than that I liked the game.

Give it a try.
Happy game day

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 9, 14 7:17 PM
Hi all. Back from vacation and ready to play and what a game to come home to. This is a very nice game, with very good graphics. Nice, clear colors, not all blues or reds for a change. Game play was excellent, absolutely no problems and fit my large screen perfectly. The jump map was helpful and areas are identified very well. Read a few places that some items were called by a different name, but I didn't run across any so far in the demo...a flashlight was a flashlight. Besides, it makes you think a little more. Voice overs were very nice, appropriate for age and person. Music was a little annoying until something was about to happen, but otherwise was somewhat monotonous...not a deal breaker.

SG was pretty much the same as all others, except for all the stuff at the bottom, which is usually found on the menu screen. This was very busy and distracting. Didn't really use the SG much, since the hint system was so helpful and it does transport you to further areas so you don't have to run around clicking back and forth all the time. This is very helpful. HOPs were pretty clean and clear and no junk piles in this one. Items were fairly easy to find, but inventory items are not identified by name when you run the cursor over them. They were fun and not much repetition so far.

The collectibles were fun as well. You need to find puzzles pieces in order to put a picture together, which in turn provides one puzzle piece for a larger picture. The larger picture requires 5 pieces and has to be completed in order to finish the game and move to the bonus play. The morphing objects you find give you extra hints and are not as easy to find as you think. They blend well in some scenes.

The one thing I didn't care for was that some dialog could be "clicked" through for those of us who read faster than they speak but some dialog could not. If you hit "continue," you will skip it all, not move to the next line. I found this game interesting and entertaining enough to keep me interested and wanting more. I think all levels of players will find this one enjoyable. Definite buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this at all. Thanks for the reviews.

cheekyoops
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by cheekyoops on Aug 10, 14 6:58 AM
And another game that I can't / won't play. The words in the HO scenes are white and yellow. Too hard to distinguish which words are white and which ones are yellow. I prefer to play without using hints, so I just won't play this one.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 10, 14 2:52 PM
cbtx wrote:What a relief ---- just in time!!!!

As others have already so ably explained, here is a story driven, exceptional game that definitively moves away from the goofy, the silly, and the childish entries we've been flooded with of late. It restores my faith in good, interesting casual games.

-interesting, varied HOS scenes
-puzzles that need a bit of thought
-spooky atmosphere assisted by non-intrusive music
-a story that has had some thought put into it

So, with just one game, it can be clearly shown that intelligent, adult oriented games are still possible. Very good game that gets my full support!!

I agree with everything "cbtx" has said so well!

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!
‘ ‘
(o)

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

I thought it was a very good game.

[Post New]by pgillenw on Aug 12, 14 2:59 PM
Although the stone feather problem caused me to have to restart the game and play once again from the beginning -- I enjoyed the game. The extra play was worth the CE version.

I see that there is a new release today.

I do recommend this game.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Aug 12, 14 8:16 PM
I'm in the middle of this game and have to quit to fix dinner. It's so much fun I hate to have to quit until ???. I think this is one of BFG's best games. Thank you, we needed a good one. It has everything. Great story line, graphics, mini games, challenges and all the things you hope for a game. Can't wait to get back to it. Have fun, I highly recommend it.

Go to: