Eponia
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Strategy Guides Not Complete

[Post New]by Eponia on Aug 10, 14 11:10 AM
This has bothered me in the latest CE games I have purchased:
1) SGs do not provide complete solutions for HOPs. Even if random, they should be included because the crucial final piece is usually constant.
2) Copping out on a mini-game by saying it is "random" and not providing any solution. Though there may be multiple solutions to a game they should provide at least one solution. An example of this is the "Glowing Gem" puzzle in the Hunting Room. There are several solutions obviously so give me at least one.

I just think these short cuts show either laziness on the part of the developer or an element of snobiness on their part in that they feel a competent player shouldn't need to be "spoon-fed" the solution, or that using the SG is cheating

As an avid player, I play for my enjoyment alone and most importantly to relieve stress. I expect there to be a complete solution in the strategy guide. When I get to the point of frustration, I want to be able to look at the SG and carry on playing. I almost exclusively buy CE for this reason. I pay extra for the peace of mind to be able to play stress free.

The SGs in a CE should be a complete solution. The player can then choose to use it or not. Elements should not be left out,

firehorsecos
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

Re:Strategy Guides Not Complete

[Post New]by firehorsecos on Aug 10, 14 11:35 AM
I heartily concur, Eponia. And I think it IS just sheer laziness on the part of the people who write the Strategy Guides. Shame on them for their lack of initiative, pride in their work, laziness, and deciding for us whether or not we are "allowed" to use the Strategy Guide for the purpose of the initial creation of Strategy Guides in the first place! I hope you read this, because you disgust me. Where do you get off, dictating to us - who are just trying to fill our time with some stress free entertainment - that we are not to have a solution "spoon-fed" to us? We have enough stress in our lives without YOU adding to it. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits, and your arms be too short to scratch.

Firehorse

ibn1984
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ibn1984 on Aug 11, 14 10:51 AM
I understand that even after you've purchased the full game, the SG does not show where the morphing items are either I hope cutting back on, puzzle solutions, by calling the puzzles random, not showing where collectibles are will not become the norm in CE. I purchase the CE for a COMPLETE SG. Now if they want to start cutting back on the extras, start with the wallpapers, screen savers, etc.

[Post New]by sfbeck on Aug 12, 14 1:59 PM
I also can't get back to the table of contents on the strategy guide, so I'm forced to flip pages between a particular chapter and collectibles. I love the few games where the strategy guide automatically follows your play and sends you to the correct page without searching.

firehorsecos
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by firehorsecos on Aug 12, 14 8:35 PM
But, [b wrote:firehorsecos[/b]... Come on! It annoys me too but don't you think that cursing on these people is a little let's say... inappropriate? It shouldn't bother you so much...

Oh for pete's sake, it was a joke. It was supposed to lighten the atmosphere. Believe me, as an Eclectic Pagan Witch if I truly wanted to "curse" them it would be something much more inventive than that old saw. Sheesh.

Firehorse

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Aug 14, 14 1:04 AM
Yes! That is one funny curse! Thanks for making my day ,firehorsecos, and with your kind permission I plan on using it on any one of our many rude drivers here in the LA basin!

eponym
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by eponym on Aug 15, 14 11:30 AM
sfbeck wrote:I also can't get back to the table of contents on the strategy guide, so I'm forced to flip pages between a particular chapter and collectibles. I love the few games where the strategy guide automatically follows your play and sends you to the correct page without searching.

I thought I was missing something but it seems the developers forgot the index. I am glad I checked the forum.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Aug 16, 14 1:02 PM
Well, at first I thought maybe I had gone back in time to an earlier game as that is what this one reminds me of. A few of the HO scenes turned into a pixel hunt and the SG was no help whatsoever. Then I realized (during the zodiac mini-game) that there was no re-set button. At the moment I have that one totally messed up and the SG is no help as I can't re-set the darn thing and simply start over. So much for relaxing with a good game. I am enjoying this game but I really wish the developer had included these (to me) basic features. If this is the sign of things to come then I won't be buying any more CE versions of games, the bonus game is simply not enough to justify paying twice the price. If they want to cut back then maybe eliminating the wallpapers, screensavers and music tracks would be a better solution (with apologies to those who enjoy and use those options). JMO.

Go to: