Edited on 08/11/2014 at 8:59:42 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Warlock: The Curse of the Shaman here

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 11, 14 1:54 AM
Hello there,
Well here is a no nonsense, no problems, no fuss SE game on which I can use a PCC, take my time and exercise the old grey matter and the Hint button without worrying about achievements etcetera.
Choose your playing level carefully folks as the first two have sparkles and there wasn't a message about changing your playing level during the game.
The title of the game should be enough of a giveaway, but I suspect that those of you who don't like the use of certain symbols and devilish themes should definitely trial it before purchasing... or give it a miss. It hasn't been too over-the-top so far, but ??? I haven't finished the game, and I'm searching for the makings of a voodoo doll at the moment.
Cheers

Edited on 08/11/2014 at 1:58:02 AM PST

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Aug 11, 14 2:30 AM
Likewise, I have 10 minutes left to trial, but am loving this. Very different to the usual fare. A simple HOPA but makes you think. Will definitely be using a coupon when I get back later.

No whistles and bells but I do recommend you give it a try. Played beautifully for me so far (Windows 7)

T57

GloriaEE
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by GloriaEE on Aug 11, 14 5:06 AM
Terrific long game and a SE - excellent value for an excellent game

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 11, 14 5:14 AM
Very Impressive SE With Solid Adventure Play****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I really enjoyed this game, from the opening video to the moment the timer kicked me out. The graphics are very good, nice artwork, a hint of cartoon about it, but executed perfectly. The music and background sounds were well done and the sound effects very good indeed. No voiceovers. The budget must have been low, because it is not widescreen, but it looked perfectly okay for me with the side panels wallpapered.

STORY
Dear ol’ Dad was something of an absentee father all your life, due to being dead, a state he reached by fathering a son – you. The curse on your family must be broken, or you will die too, at the birth of your own son. The solution lies in calling on the ghosts of your male ancestors to help you, which you can do by making voodoo dolls in their likeness and performing a special ritual. Interesting story, with a little originality in there.

GAMEPLAY
This game feels more like a point and click adventure game than I have seen in quite a while. There is a lot of figuring out what to do next, clicking on things in the location to find out what happens, and puzzles to solve. There are plenty of HOPs too, which are visited twice. So while it has that p&c feel, it is familiar enough to get comfortable in it. The HOPs are more-than-usually interactive, word lists. As well, there are some items which you must collect pieces of from the location, which show up as a ring of items around the finished product image, as seen in earlier HOGs.

I particularly liked the puzzles. They would seem to be ordinary familiar ones – right up until you read the instructions. For example, what looks like a standard ring puzzle, isn’t one at all, but something else entirely! None are overly difficult, but the Skip is slowish even in the easiest of the three levels of difficulty. The hint is directional. There is no map – that I saw, but they’re the kind of details I forget to note when I get involved in the game.

COMBINED IMPACT
Excellent standard edition game! A very relaxing but entertaining game – without a single helpful animal in sight! *wink*

I recommend this game!

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 11, 14 5:23 AM
PS. The English in the dialogues is poor but perfectly comprehensible, and does NOT affect the object lists at all, which is actually better than the best developers can say!

AussieMoo
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by AussieMoo on Aug 11, 14 5:44 AM
Thanks, JustTheFacts, glad someone else posted in here first! I thought maybe I just had my cranky pants on today as the grammar was bothering me.

Bluecassie37
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by Bluecassie37 on Aug 11, 14 6:10 AM
This is a good solid, old fashioned adventure type HOG. While simple, it isn't always straightforward and I liked the random directions the scenes take.

The English is a bit Google Translate, but is quite understandable.

You have to go over the scenes several times to collect the items needed to complete tasks (shown above the relevant tasks). Apart from the voodoo dolls the task items are only shown at the location, so you have to remember things and return to the right places. Sparkles on Normal setting are relentless in some areas and completely absent from others, so have a good rummage to find all you need.

I thought the start was abrupt, but liked the lack of initial back story as it gives you something to discover. Love how laid back and trusting the character is - visions, scary nightmares, dad's voodoo ghost, time travel, mermaids and a grave yard full of ghost zombies and he doesn't bat an eyelid. The only thing that gives him trouble is a dog!

Best of all, no one expects me to dress a kitty or buy stuff for a puppy room!

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Aug 11, 14 9:00 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Warlock: The Curse of the Shaman here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Warlock: The Curse of the Shaman.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 11, 14 2:12 PM
Aaaaargh, my demo ran out! I was totally engrossed in this game. Graphics were very well done, even though they were a bit cartoon like, which seemed to fit this story well. Colors are very vibrant and clear, without a lot of the blues and reds we have seen lately. I always demo on the easiest setting to get a feel for the game. Even at easy, this one still had some challenge. Game play was very good, no problems at all and game filled my large screen completely. There is no map, and you do have to do a lot of back-tracking, so put on your tennis shoes and get ready for it. I really liked the music, which made up for the lack of voice overs. For some reason, this game really didn't need them. The one thing I didn't care for is that the inventory bar did not lock, so it jumped up and down when you used is or happened to run your cursor over it.

HOPs were simple and straight forward. Items were not difficult to find. Puzzles were surprisingly different, even though they looked like the same old puzzles. I like games where you have to find "parts" of things in order to complete an item to use. This is a little more challenging than you may think and quite fun. Hint system was helpful, but filled at a fairly slow rate, compared to the newer games.

There were no collectibles, naturally, this is an SE, but you do travel to parallel worlds in order to complete your tasks. This was quite fun, as you had to put things together in order to move on to the next world. This seemed like an older game that was brought back out, but it had a newer feel to it. Not a lot of animation or sound FX in the demo, but as I said before, I was engrossed in the game when the demo ended and not happy when it did. This is a very nice SE for a change and I recommend it for all levels of players. It is different, fun and challenging, and a definite buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 11, 14 2:30 PM
AFTER PLAYING THE DEMO - YOU MAY FEEL COMPELLED TO BUY THIS SPELL-BINDING GAME

WARNING: THIS GAME IS HEAVY LADEN WITH OCCULT SYMBOLOGY, IMAGERY AND DEALS WITH OCCULT PRACTICES.

Hidden away in the underground vaults of BF, far from the sharp eyes of witch hunters, comes an occult tale of a warlock plagued by a family curse. With the birth of each new male warlock into the family, the father dies. You are a warlock, who, with the help of your father from the spirit world, try to break this curse. You travel to the astroplane to complete your task.

This game is by a dev I have never seen before, but I like their name. This is a hodgepodge of the different forms of the occult arts and practices thrown together into one big cauldron for a spell-binding game. There is a shaman from the indigenous peoples (who puts the curse on your family), the Hoodoo practice of use of "poppets" (Before I feel the pins stuck into my image and receive messages from the spirit world - Voodoo is the religion and Hoodoo is the magical practice) and the age old arts, ceremonial magic and symbols from the Wiccan and other esoteric religions.

This is not the lighthearted witchly romp of "Hocus Pocus," and definitely NOT a game for our little school fish in the pond. This is an adult adventure game. I like this game with the exception of a few details. There are three levels of play and in every one of them you have those dreaded sparkles (probably residue from some spell work). There are no voiceovers. The storyline is keeps you engaged. The HOP scenes are somewhat interactive and there is use of the old school "fan" to collect inventory items to create items to continue further in the game. The graphics are decent but dated . This is a "dark" almost gothic game which creates a mysterious occult ambiance. The "muzac" fits well into the game but is not obtrusive. There is no map so get your running shoes to go back-and-forth throughout the game. There are no collectibles, no morphing objects, but on the "bright" side - we have no "cutesy black cat" helper. Of course the English is horrible - they are foreign devs! Don't care.

I played for about 30 minutes and will purchase with a coupon. It is definitely an "old school" game ; however, there are some who really like the older game technology. This is not bad for an SE. "So mote it be." I must cast a rating on said game. I RATE THIS GAME 5 PENTAGRAMS OUT OF 5 PENTAGRAMS.

Edited on 08/11/2014 at 3:58:37 PM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Aug 11, 14 9:16 PM
sunnyglow wrote:AFTER PLAYING THE DEMO - YOU MAY FEEL COMPELLED TO BUY THIS SPELL-BINDING GAME

<snip>

This game is by a dev I have never seen before, but I like their name.

<snip> The storyline is keeps you engaged. The HOP scenes are somewhat interactive and there is use of the old school "fan" to collect inventory items to create items to continue further in the game. The graphics are decent but dated . This is a "dark" almost gothic game which creates a mysterious occult ambiance. The "muzac" fits well into the game but is not obtrusive. There is no map so get your running shoes to go back-and-forth throughout the game. There are no collectibles, no morphing objects, but on the "bright" side - we have no "cutesy black cat" helper. Of course the English is horrible - they are foreign devs! Don't care.

I played for about 30 minutes and will purchase with a coupon. It is definitely an "old school" game ; however, there are some who really like the older game technology. This is not bad for an SE. "So mote it be." I must cast a rating on said game. I RATE THIS GAME 5 PENTAGRAMS OUT OF 5

Agree, agree, agree!!!! Except that I am finding the graphics quite engaging and even beautiful in some of the scenes. And neither do I care about the iffy translations.

Five more pentagrams!!

Emeralds
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Emeralds on Aug 11, 14 9:32 PM
Anyone looking for an old real adventure game, that doesn't have the typical, this is it. Play on the hardest setting, because it does have some sparkles, but not enough to deter you. I am really liking this game. It makes you think. I miss that about the new games. I can't believe I have finally found a game I like. It has been a while.
As always, try before you buy.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 12, 14 12:59 PM
Thought this to be a very good SE game. Like the HOG,s and the way you find pieces to place to finish the puzzle. Reminds me of games we had before and liked them. Will give this 3 out of 5 stars..

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Aug 13, 14 7:29 AM
I have mixed feelings about Warlock: The Curse of the Shaman, which I got on a coupon and played the entire way through with a lot of effort working around issues. For a non CE, it at least has a decent conceptual framework. Things you're asked to find in most HOS are believable and visually distinct. The setting is definitely European and some objects aren't familiar to the average Western player.

The gameplay is marred by constant glitches that come and go. There is no way this game was thoroughly beta tested. This feels more like playing the beta test.

The narration is horrendous. I still don't understand why developers for whom English is not a first language don't at least have a native English speaker proof their text. Annoying is not the half of it.

The language issue unfortunately spills over into the HOS when you're asked to look for objects that are completely misnamed. A jug is consistently labeled a bottle. A pitcher was labeled a kettle. Things like that where you spend forever looking for the item only to give up, hit the hint button, and curse under your breath when you discover what the item is really being identified as.

The characters were at least well designed and the scenery was pretty.

But this game needs to go back to the developers' computers and get a thorough debug and beta test. It was not ready for market.

[Post New]by Anna_Allison on Aug 13, 14 5:33 PM
What a surprise! An SE that played like a CE. I don't miss all the morphing objects and collectibles. Rather have a fun game for the SE price with the length of a CE. Really enjoyed it and happy to be able to use a coupon on a really engaging game.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Aug 15, 14 4:56 PM
After I restarted this game and got over my confusion and figured what it was all about I had a great time playing this game. Makes you pay attention and also follow the hints, Just wish the hints were a little faster. On the other hand it did give you time to take a breath and think. Good game. Really enjoyed it.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Aug 17, 14 1:29 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:There are HUGE sparkles for the HOS and discreet (although bright) sparkles for everything of interest, and that was was on the hardest mode, which promised "Active areas are not indicated," and "Areas of interest don't sparkle." I can only imagine what sort of sparkles there are in the easier modes! I hate sparkles, so this may indeed have kept me from purchasing an otherwise nice game had I known. I made a new profile to make sure I selected the "no sparkle" mode the first time, and I had. I don't get why developers don't get "no" means "no" when they even come right out and say "no sparkles!"

That says it all for me. I just started and there are sparkles everywhere, and I too chose the "no sparkles" mode. This better have a really good plot, or I will be seriously angry. I HATE sparkles!

**UPDATE - Just Finished the game**

Well, sparkles or not, I have to admit I really liked this game. I know many people have had glitch problems putting the voodoo dolls together, but I was fortunate and the game played glitch-free for me. I haven't read all the reviews yet to see why the ratings are so low, but I liked everything about the game, with the exception of having to keep placing and then taking the ladder and rope. It's nice not to have to find them every time, but got tedious always having to use the same two items in the same spots as you went back and forth. That was only during a short portion of the game, though, so all in all I'd give this game .

Edited on 08/17/2014 at 7:51:08 PM PST

grouchypants
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by grouchypants on Aug 20, 14 3:42 PM
This is a great game. And a SE at that. I also give it 5 stars.

Edited on 08/20/2014 at 3:47:04 PM PST

c41brenda
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by c41brenda on Sep 3, 14 5:17 PM
I was enjoying the game in the demo mode and was ready to purchase when it ran out but it won't let me!.

Says the game doesn't exist or has not been released. HUH? Whats up with that?

Go to: