Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Aug 14, 14 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 08/14/2014 at 5:41:40 AM PST

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Aug 14, 14 2:00 AM
Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

Based on demo 73 minutes

The bunnies have been busy again and you can tell straight away it is one of their games.

A new sheriff arrives in town to solve the mystery of serial murder and disappearances. Helped by his (rather too helpful) deputy, he sets about compiling the evidence on an evidence board and pursuing his ghostly adversary.

Reminded me a bit of a wedding; something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

The old was the CE bling:
* Wallpaper/Concept Art/Screen Saver/Movies/Music/Workshop
* Mini games and hidden object replay
* Collectibles in the shape of runes to collect (40) which are used to decode prophesies on 8 scrolls
* 4 Levels of gameplay including custom

I found no achievements :-((

The new was the map - a SatNav style jumpable map with 4 screens and showing location and objective/action. Also twice I received back story by listening to the radio.

Borrowed...
...a mystic orb which identifies paranormal activity and collects energy which is then used to uncover a secret. Found myself quartering the screen to find glowing energy which can be tiresome.

Blue:
* Colours are blue/grey shades which are quite soothing

Puzzles, of which there were several, were very straightforward but some new ideas which I liked.

HOSs: I only came across 2. One was a find pairs and the other a replace items. The second one I found quite amusing!

I had a peep at the SG for information and found:
* no HOP solutions/screen shots
* 3 chapters shown plus locations of runes

Apart from the easiness of the puzzles and HOSs, I found it exercised my grey cells on the gameplay. It also had an almost 'tongue-in-cheek' humour which kept me smiling and added to the fun factor. The storyline is a new take, which I liked a lot.

The gameplay was smooth and I downloaded and played with no issues at all.

So, I will be buying this weekend. I thoroughly recommend you give it a try and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Edited on 08/14/2014 at 2:03:50 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by shelterhill on Aug 14, 14 5:16 AM
Thanks tufty, your review helps! I'm not sure whether this CE is the best buy, yet. Maybe i'll wait for the SE [ which is a first, since I am a big ERS fan] .
Only the runes to collect is not extra enough for me. And the graphics are not what I expected from ERS...

So I'll wait for either a darn good sale or the SE

Edited on 08/16/2014 at 6:24:30 AM PST

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Aug 14, 14 5:40 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by gamblebug on Aug 14, 14 5:49 AM
Love this game,but will wait for the weekend to see if we get a BOGO,

chessiegirl
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by chessiegirl on Aug 14, 14 7:21 AM
I love ERS games but have not been able to play the newer games (since last fall) CS has had me try everything under the sun to get them to work on my up to date computer. I know there are others who are having the same issues. SO this is my reveiw of this game :would love it if I could play it..But I LOVE ERS games and I'm jealous you all get to play DARN!!!

Edited on 08/14/2014 at 7:23:14 AM PST

A single HOS/hr doesn't make a HOPA

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 14, 14 7:41 AM
Not only did I find the storyline absolutely ridiculous (According to Wikipedia, "there is no evidence of enduring Norse settlements on mainland North America" so why exactly does it seem to be taking place in America?) but I also feel it's false advertising to call this thing a Hidden Object Adventure game.

I played the full demo, finished it in a little less than an hour, and came across one single HOS. That HOS was so easy it was more like I was identifying things than looking for them. I don't count the scene where you dress the guy as a HOS and that was very simple too. The level of challenge here was so lacking that, with the exception of the story, this game feels like it was made for young children. A single extremely simple HOS in an hour of play doesn't entitle a game to call itself a Hidden Object game IMO and it's misleading to label it that.

I understand that games like this particular one are being made to please people that don't like HOS. (Although why people who don't like HOS buy Hidden Object games is beyond me.) Could developers at least clearly identify games made for that crowd by labeling them Adventure games and leaving off the words Hidden Object? I like a good adventure game myself but, to be honest, if it doesn't have HOS I don't want to waste my time with it and it's annoying that I got tricked into doing so.

Edited on 08/14/2014 at 10:29:40 AM PST

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Aug 14, 14 7:56 AM
My kind of game. Detective story. I like the sound, graphics and mini games.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Editio

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 14, 14 2:25 PM
SKOL! ARRIVING ON VIKING SHIPS FROM THE SEAS OF MEDIOCRITY , THE GAMERS RETURN LADEN WITH A WELL-CRAFTED GAME

DON'T MESS WITH VIKING PLUNDER OR FEEL ODIN'S LIGHTNING AND THUNDER

"Grattis och tach!" (Congratulations and thank you) GamERS, as my Swedish grandmother would say. I LOVE this game! There are no animal helpers. There is a cat in the inventory for use in the game but it is not "attached" to you or the game. You do have a "cutesy" helper, Deputy Jones (AKA my new gaming heart throb - an "attraktiv man, " with no facial hair - Yeah !) He is such amazing eye candy.

You are the new sheriff in the town of Meadows Town which was founded by the Vikings. As you arrive, a terrible storm erupts causing the town people to evacuate. The Vikings hid their hoard of plunder in an unknown location in the town. They put a curse on this treasure so that anyone who tried pilfer it would experience the wrath of the Viking spirits. You replace the retiring Sheriff Dugan, who simply vanishes. Simultaneously, a teacher, who is investigating the Viking tombs has been found murdered and has an unusual burn mark on his chest caused by a Viking talisman. As you try to unravel the murder, disappearance, and other mysteries, you encounter spirits of the Vikings who founded the town - one of them a blonde Valkrie who keeps haunting and taunting you. You also encounter a skeletal apparition who attempts to thwart you in your investigation. What is happening here? Is the Viking curse real or is there an actual person behind all of this?

A much improved game by the dev. I was so engrossed in playing the full demo, I didn't realize I had completed the trial. There are three levels of play plus the ability to customize. The graphics are awesome and consistent with the games from this dev. The storyline draws you into the game. There is a map. The collectibles are Viking runes. The HOP scenes are interactive and each scene is unique. You can opt to play a "Tetris" like game instead (which is pretty cool and I don't this game has been offered in a HOP game before). There is a "spirit catcher" which you use in the game to collect Viking spirits. I only encountered two puzzles and you had the choice between playing them "Hard" or "Easy" version of them which pacifies everyone. Will play this game this weekend with Deputy Jones .

I RATE THIS GAME FROM ODIN'S REALM 10 LIGHTNING BOLTS OUT OF 5 LIGHTNING BOLTS!

Edited on 08/14/2014 at 2:38:12 PM PST

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Aug 14, 14 4:06 PM
AverageSizeFish wrote:Not only did I find the storyline absolutely ridiculous (According to Wikipedia, "there is no evidence of enduring Norse settlements on mainland North America" so why exactly does it seem to be taking place in America?) but I also feel it's false advertising to call this thing a Hidden Object Adventure game.
Sorry "AverageSizeFish" but Vikings did indeed settle in North America! More precisely on the northernmost tip of the island of Newfoundland, Canada. The site is called, "L'Anse aux Meadows." Discovered in 1960, it is the most famous site of a Norse or Viking settlement in North America outside Greenland. Dating to around the year 1000, L'Anse aux Meadows is the only site widely accepted as evidence of pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact. In 1978 the site was named a World Heritage site by UNESCO.

Proud Viking

siscokid
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by siscokid on Aug 14, 14 4:23 PM
I always leave the schematics of the game to the key contributors, of which we all appreciate! (Well, I know I do!)

On that note, I review it on a purely generic level...
Game play was extremely easy, beginners would most definitely like it. Puzzles not very challenging, a little different, but easy and actually quite fun. There is not a whole lot of running back and forth to install this or to go get that key...etc., which is a plus for me. This review is all based on playing the demo. I finished it in one hour and that was listening to all the dialogue and watching the cut scenes. I never used to do that when we were offered the hour demo time, I would always skip them so I could get to the good stuff~! A big Thank You to BF for that one!

All that aside, it really is a cute game, I enjoyed it from what I played out. However, it's this type of game that once you're done.....you're done! What I mean is, I don't think the re-playability is there and I know that could be important to a lot of folks. Yes, it's that easy of a game, once you know what to do. I don't know if I will purchase, based on that. Still thinking it over, as in...is it worth it in the long run? And that is why, I leave this stuff to the experts! Happy gaming!

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Aug 14, 14 6:59 PM
Thanks Swedane, I was about to answer the post about Viking settlements in NA and found that you had done a far superior job. L'Anse aux Meadows has a Viking festival every year and it's been a goal of mine to attend one some day.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 14, 14 7:05 PM
And to answer AverageSizeFish's question why people who don't necessarily like HOS buy HOGs is because we do like the game itself, but some of us just don't care for HOS or - as it is for me - too many HOS. I don't want to stumble over one HOS after another. I want to get on with the story itself. That's why I love games that play like HOGs but aren't HOGs, like ERS's "Azada: In Libro".

--- --- ---

There are 4 Difficulty modes: Casual, Advanced, Hard, Custom.
In Custom mode the minimum setting for the Hint and Skip buttons are 5 seconds fill time.
The difficulty can be changed anytime during gameplay.

There are 19 Achievements.

There is widescreen, voice-over, and a choice of custom and system cursor.

There are 30 Runes to collect. Once you have collected them all, you can play Bingo with your Deputy and a moose...

Your Map is at the right, next to the Hint, which is in the shape of a mobile (cell) phone.
The map consists of 4 pages. It shows you where you are, completed areas, and where actions are needed. It can also be used to jump.

Soon into the game you will get a Spirit Detector. It’s at the left, next to your Notes.
It’s one of those contraptions that ERS has implemented lately in their games where you have to do something or play a game to activate it.

The Inventory can be locked to stay on top, or unlocked to disappear until needed.

At the top left of your screen is a tab you can click on. It will take you to the Achievements.

The HOS I came across had silhouettes and was highly interactive.

--- --- ---

The game has its spooky moments, which I liked.

However, I found the game too noisy and too many things moving about (including a tarantula I had to get rid of... *shudders*).

The Notes keep highlighting with every new entry, and the inside of the spirit detector keeps moving around. I also found the scenes too overly dressed up, there were too many items in each scene.

To keep it short, I found what I have played so far exhausting. My Deputy’s voice isn’t helping either. (I am the new Sheriff, btw). He sounds a bit like a little boy: “gee mom, look at that” kind of voice.

This is the first ERS game which I couldn't find much enthusiasm for. I may get the SE when it’s out, but will definitely not get the CE.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Aug 14, 14 7:29 PM
Once again this has no HOS solutions and this time I am putting my foot down and not buying it as a CE. Perhaps when it comes out as an SE. I don't know why the devs seem to be doing this lately. It seems to be the new standard for SGs. It doesn't make sense to me. The whole point of a SG is to help you when you are stuck. It isn't much help when the SG tells you "Play the HOP". Yeah like I need that not so helpful statement!

Valdy mentioned in her review that there were 19 achievements but I did not see them in the Extras or the Main Menu. However I did see a panel at the top left of the screen which took you to the Runes, If anyone finds the Achievement section please let me know,

Game play was okay but I must admit I wasn't blown away by it. Maybe I am just playing too many of these HOG games.

For me the map was a little bit strange. Not used to having locations marked as being done and then all of a sudden it changes its status. Not sure if I like that.

Puzzles didn't seem too hard so far.

The HOS I played were good and not too hard but perhaps they get more challenging further into the game.

Each has their own preferences so at least try this before making up your mind on it.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 14, 14 8:40 PM
Hi all. A new ERS game, yay! Okay, first of all, what idiot would speed down a dark slippery road on a rainy night! Now that I got that out of my system... As usual, ERS has come through with really nice graphics and animation. Colors are very clear and we are not slammed with reds and blues. Game play was very good, no problems and the game filled my large screen perfectly. Music was very nice and moved with what was happening at the time. Very nice, realistic sound FX. Voice overs were very good as well and fit the character and what was happening.

SG was the usual and had very clear instructions. There were complaints that the HOPs are not listed in the SG, but where is the challenge in that? I primarily use the SG to help me find a collectible, in case I missed one. The hint doesn't help you with that one (wouldn't that be nice), but it will help you in the HOP. HOPs were very clean and clear and items were not difficult to find. I didn't run across very many in the demo, so hoping more show up. Not many puzzles yet either, but what I found was quite fun. The hint system fills quite quickly in this game and is very helpful. Unfortunately, it does not transport you to other locations.

The only collectibles I found are the runes, which are pretty well hidden here and there. You collect 40, which are to "reveal ancient prophecies." Not sure what that is all about yet. You also have an orb to collect paranormal energy, which in turn eliminates the dark entity for a while.

I think I figured out who the "bad guy" was within the first 5 minutes, but now I have to play out the game to see if I'm right...hate it when that happens. The game wasn't all that challenging, but it kept me interested and moving. Really like the Viking story line in this one. I think this one will appeal to all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

tophen
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by tophen on Aug 14, 14 10:40 PM
seems like I played this a long time ago.or else its is like so many other games.?

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Aug 15, 14 3:11 AM
Sprattie wrote:Thanks Swedane, I was about to answer the post about Viking settlements in NA and found that you had done a far superior job. L'Anse aux Meadows has a Viking festival every year and it's been a goal of mine to attend one some day.
You're too kind...
My Viking herritage could not allow for that piece of history to be ignored. Vikings had indeed landed, and briefly settled, in North America 500 years before Columbus.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 15, 14 6:58 AM
swedane wrote: Sorry "AverageSizeFish" but Vikings did indeed settle in North America! More precisely on the northernmost tip of the island of Newfoundland, Canada. The site is called, "L'Anse aux Meadows." Discovered in 1960, it is the most famous site of a Norse or Viking settlement in North America outside Greenland. Dating to around the year 1000, L'Anse aux Meadows is the only site widely accepted as evidence of pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact. In 1978 the site was named a World Heritage site by UNESCO. Proud Viking

Sorry swedane but it appears you didn't read what I said. I said there is no evidence of an enduring Viking presence on the North American mainland and evidence of a settlement on the island of Newfoundland does not refute this fact. Further, if we are to imagine that the developers did want us to think that the town of Meadows is on the island of Newfoundland then the question still remains...why do all the characters have an accent typical of English spoken in America and why does the town itself look nothing like the rather bucolic area around L'Anse aux Meadows? Also, why is there no mention of the story taking place on an island?

I'm glad the whole thing makes sense to you but it just strained my suspension of disbelief too much for me to become immersed in the story. It felt too silly.

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Aug 15, 14 7:24 AM
AverageSizeFish wrote:
swedane wrote: Sorry "AverageSizeFish" but Vikings did indeed settle in North America! More precisely on the northernmost tip of the island of Newfoundland, Canada. The site is called, "L'Anse aux Meadows." Discovered in 1960, it is the most famous site of a Norse or Viking settlement in North America outside Greenland. Dating to around the year 1000, L'Anse aux Meadows is the only site widely accepted as evidence of pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact. In 1978 the site was named a World Heritage site by UNESCO. Proud Viking

Sorry swedane but it appears you didn't read what I said. I said there is no evidence of an enduring Viking presence on the North American mainland and evidence of a settlement on the island of Newfoundland does not refute this fact. Further, if we are to imagine that the developers did want us to think that the town of Meadows is on the island of Newfoundland then the question still remains...why do all the characters have an accent typical of English spoken in America and why does the town itself look nothing like the rather bucolic area around L'Anse aux Meadows? Also, why is there no mention of the story taking place on an island?

I'm glad the whole thing makes sense to you but it just strained my suspension of disbelief too much for me to become immersed in the story. It felt too silly.

You Will see Canadian flags in the game and the Canadian accent is very similar to the American accent.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 15, 14 7:43 AM
didersham wrote:You Will see Canadian flags in the game and the Canadian accent is very similar to the American accent.

Well, actually the people in Newfoundland have accents and dialects which differ from those found in the rest of Canada due to the location's history and geography. It's different enough that Newfoundland even has its own dictionary. Give it a google To me, it seems like playing a game supposedly taking place in London but everyone sounds like they're from Iowa. It's great if that worked for you...it just didn't for me.

Go to: