twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

Vikings in "America"

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Aug 15, 14 10:31 AM
There is a discussion about the game's accuracy as far as Vikings (or Norse) being in "America." Actually the first comment was "North America."

If we are to assume the game is set in Canada, and specifically Newfoundland (as suggested), the claim Newfoundland is "800 miles from America" is false. Canada is a part of North America. The nickname "America" is used for the United States of America, and I believe that is what confuses some people. In fact, this was mentioned a few weeks ago in regards to a game set in Mexico, which too is part of North America.

As for Norse peoples coming to the mainland of North America, there is evidence they traded with native peoples in Maine in the 11th century. "Markland" was thought to be on the Labrador coast, Labrador being the mainland.

I wonder why this game of all games is being scrutinized for historical accuracy, when there are so many other less accurate games? How about that hodgepodge of Native American (US) peoples in Myths of the World: Spirit Wolf? The Vikings did have settlements in North America. I just figured the town is using the Viking name and overstating their presence there for tourism!

I only know this information because my homeschooled children studied the Vikings. With their blonde hair and blue eyes, together with their Scandinavian last name, they may very well be descendents of that ghost lady in the game!

Re:Vikings in "America"

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 15, 14 6:51 PM
I just have to add my 2cents in here, as I am about to download this game and find it incredulous that anyone would be so "picky" about things like the accuracy of the setting, accents, WHATEVER!! Its a game for Pete's Sake! Get over yourself already. I have alot of Irish ancestry, but I certainly wouldn't be offended or feel the need to point out that the Druids were in this place as opposed to that place or the Spanish landed here instead of there. ITS A GAME!!!! Whew, I feel so much better now!

feenix

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 15, 14 7:19 PM
And will that part about Mexico ever lie dead?

I didn't mention this in my post where I apologised for my ignorance about Mexico - not being American, North or South, but the fact is: studies made in the US found that most Americans, when asked to point at a certain country on a map, don't know where to look. Many even think that some European countries reside in Asia.

So, considering the island mentality of many US citizens, not knowing all that much about the rest of the world, those of us who do not live in the US or anywhere else on the American continent, should be given a break when it comes to getting it wrong, and thinking that Mexico is in South America. At least I know on which continent Mexico is.

Edited on 08/15/2014 at 7:24:19 PM PST

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Aug 15, 14 8:12 PM
Oh, Valdy, I didn't mean you! I actually meant in general. If I remember correctly, Americans consistently rank near the bottom in geography knowledge. I am sure many of us can't tell the difference between Ireland and Northern Ireland, or where Scotland is!

When I was 13 I went to an British school in Spain, and our geography was British! I still remember what sounded like the silliest misunderstanding, but it turns out I heard correctly when the teacher talked about "where Ermine crossed the Fosse Way."

I hate to agree with you, but your assessment of "island mentality" is unfortunately true. I loved homeschooling my children in part so we could learn about other places. We went through A-Z countries a few times (maps, foods, craft or art, etc.) and I would buy actual stamps and coins from the countries.

I notice if a game is incorrect, but I still play and enjoy. There's a game about Tesla, which is nothing like his real life, but I liked the game. Then Hallowed Legends: Samhain is totally inaccurate, and gets ridiculously silly. Castles are not depicted like real castles. We all know there are lots of anachronisms in games.

I will never mention Mexico again!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 15, 14 8:18 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:I will never mention Mexico again!

LOL Well, good.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Aug 16, 14 6:02 AM
As a Canadian I just wanted to mention L'Anse Aux Meadows in Newfoundland, believed to be the first North American settlement by Vikings. When I noticed the word Meadows in this game title I wondered if it might be based on this.....but as I haven't tried the game yet I have no idea and it doesn't really matter anyway. I just thought it would be neat if it was loosely based on the same place......especially as few people know much about Canadian geography (including some Canadians I'm afraid).

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

Re:Vikings in "America" ~ "Poetic License"

[Post New]by katbear50 on Aug 16, 14 12:49 PM
"Poetic License"

poetic license
n.
The liberty taken by an artist or a writer in deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

poet?ic li?cense
n.
license or liberty, esp. as taken by a poet or other writer, in deviating from conventional form, logic, fact, etc., to produce a desired effect.
[1780–90]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

As for myself, having been an Avid Gamer for too long to admit,
I just go with the flow.
No different than watching a movie that does the self same thing.
Therefore, I believe everyone to be correct as to their
individual interpretation in this matter.
JMHO
=^,,^=
the kat

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Aug 17, 14 12:28 PM
read61 wrote:As a Canadian I just wanted to mention L'Anse Aux Meadows in Newfoundland, believed to be the first North American settlement by Vikings. When I noticed the word Meadows in this game title I wondered if it might be based on this.....but as I haven't tried the game yet I have no idea and it doesn't really matter anyway. I just thought it would be neat if it was loosely based on the same place......especially as few people know much about Canadian geography (including some Canadians I'm afraid).

I don't really care about whether game devs get the geography, history, or mythology right, though I'm happy when they do. I, for one, did think that this game did a pretty good job of depicting Norse mythology (for a game) and the Viking Museum really did remind me of L'Anse Aux Meadows. I traveled there a few years ago, and the depiction was pretty accurate, as far as layout and general shape and size of the buildings, though the actual site is just depressions in the ground. No buildings remain. (There is a site nearby where they have recreated the village and you can visit the "Vikings" for yourselves.)

As for people in the US not knowing geography, I am a US citizen and I DO know geography. I can accurately point out about any country in most of the world, as long as it doesn't change names every other week, and most others of my generation can, too. (Let's just say that the hippie bus in the game looks embarrassingly familiar...) That said, yes, a ridiculous number of US students today don't seem know their geography, if you believe the surveys they conduct. I can't tell you why other than that schools tend to focus more on math and science these days, it seems. Or possibly, that they look for the least educated or intelligent people to answer those surveys. It does make for better news.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Aug 17, 14 2:07 PM
LOL - in games we're okay with the spirits, skeletons and the walking dead not to mention talking animals in many, and that's just to name a very few... but woe betide there be any incorrect accents, historical or geographical errors.

lemarmot
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by lemarmot on Aug 17, 14 2:48 PM
read61 wrote:As a Canadian I just wanted to mention L'Anse Aux Meadows in Newfoundland, believed to be the first North American settlement by Vikings. When I noticed the word Meadows in this game title I wondered if it might be based on this...

We visited L'Anse Aux Meadows a few years ago when we toured Newfoundland.. ... what a wonderful experience that was ---- also the coins in the game were Canadian (sort of)

here are some photos from that tour
C:\Users\Janice\Documents\Memory Books\Newfoundland\Nfld Tour\pics from Sept tour

Wonderful people in Newfoundland - I got screeched ... look it up on Google

firehorsecos
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

Vikings in "America"

[Post New]by firehorsecos on Aug 21, 14 4:02 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:There is a discussion about the game's accuracy as far as Vikings (or Norse) being in "America." Actually the first comment was "North America."

If we are to assume the game is set in Canada, and specifically Newfoundland (as suggested), the claim Newfoundland is "800 miles from America" is false. Canada is a part of North America. The nickname "America" is used for the United States of America, and I believe that is what confuses some people. In fact, this was mentioned a few weeks ago in regards to a game set in Mexico, which too is part of North America.

As for Norse peoples coming to the mainland of North America, there is evidence they traded with native peoples in Maine in the 11th century. "Markland" was thought to be on the Labrador coast, Labrador being the mainland.

I wonder why this game of all games is being scrutinized for historical accuracy, when there are so many other less accurate games? How about that hodgepodge of Native American (US) peoples in Myths of the World: Spirit Wolf? The Vikings did have settlements in North America. I just figured the town is using the Viking name and overstating their presence there for tourism!

I only know this information because my homeschooled children studied the Vikings. With their blonde hair and blue eyes, together with their Scandinavian last name, they may very well be descendents of that ghost lady in the game!

Actually it HAS been proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Vikings DID make it down into what is now the United States. The information is just suppressed by those who refuse to accept the noses on their own faces. Did you know there was a 9000 years old - that is NINE THOUSAND year old - Caucasian burial found on the West Coast? I believe it was either in Oregon or Washington State. The body was found to be of Scandinavian origin. And there are Viking origin structures all over the States. They are just not advertised. There is even a television show of a guy that goes out looking for them.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Aug 24, 14 7:55 PM
JulieJay wrote:LOL - in games we're okay with the spirits, skeletons and the walking dead not to mention talking animals in many, and that's just to name a very few... but woe betide there be any incorrect accents, historical or geographical errors.

Was just thinking the same thing, lol.

Overall, however, I DO appreciate when games try to be accurate culturally speaking if that is their main focus [such as was mentioned in the aforementioned Native American Indians in Myths of the World, among others]. I enjoy when developers are conscientious and respectful of the culture highlighted [but don't hold them "to a fault"]... yup, indeed, 'tis indeed a game.

So when game devs research and honor cultural differences as a recent example, some of the factual info shared in the last two games based in MEXICO [or it could have just as well been any city, etc in the Spanish sector]; the most recent one "Lost Legends: The Weeping Woman"... although fictitious as a true celebration, much of the costume and general design as well as info were beautifully accurate... yup, I love that.

IMHO it actually makes the game more exciting AND I get to learn a bit of addt'l info about 'other' peeps histories/struggles/backgrounds/traditions, etc and that is always nice.

ETA: btw, speaking of cultural accuracy, and altho definitely not for everyone, the H E R Interactive, Nancy Drew series is good about being culturally factual and interestingly I've learned things from those games [even tho originally purchased for my DD, lol] that I otherwise wouldn't have necessarily known unless had I specifically looked them up [and truthfully, I think games are/could be a great learning tool as well).

Edited on 08/24/2014 at 8:24:24 PM PST

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Oct 19, 14 9:20 AM
Amen, JulieJay!! Too much else in life worth worrying about. Just enjoy, or skip the game if it bothers you.

Edited on 10/19/2014 at 9:24:51 AM PST

Go to: