Please post your REVIEWS for Witches' Legacy: The Ties That Bind Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Aug 16, 14 12:32 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 08/16/2014 at 6:31:10 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Witches' Legacy: The Ties That Bind Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 16, 14 1:32 AM
This is the 4th edition to the Series. It's not quit as good as the others. The graphics & animations are good. The overall look of the game is nice....but just doesn't add up to the first game in this Series. But they rarely do.

NO: Widescreen...which is odd...since this is a new game. Most Developers have learned to just make that an automatic option in newer games. The voice overs are a little annoying. But, I prefer voice overs in a game...even if there mediocre or bad. The storyline so far...is very similar to the others in this series.

I'm not saying this is a bad edition. I'm just saying it's so familiar. It's like playing the same game over and over again. The first time I saw the IMP...I thought he was cute...but now he's kinda get's on my nerves.

With all this said...I like the game and will be buying it. I have to have ever game in a series...rather it's good or bad. This is a good game and worth adding to my library forsure! Be sure to try it for yourself. It's a real deal with the great sale.

I rate this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

edited: spelling
‘ ‘
(o)

Edited on 08/16/2014 at 1:39:52 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Witches' Legacy: The Ties That Bind Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 16, 14 1:55 AM
I do get widescreen for my laptop, LtML.

Edited on 08/19/2014 at 6:54:08 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 16, 14 2:03 AM
Valdy wrote:I do get widescreen for my laptop, LtML.

I've never had this happen to me before. I'll investigate it more. Thanks for letting me know you have it.

Dudesmum
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by Dudesmum on Aug 16, 14 3:09 AM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:
Valdy wrote:I do get widescreen for my laptop, LtML.

I've never had this happen to me before. I'll investigate it more. Thanks for letting me know you have it.

Miss Lisa... I too get automatic Widescreen...

On a normal PC with Windows 8 installed...

Edited on 08/16/2014 at 3:11:49 AM PST

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Aug 16, 14 6:30 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Witches' Legacy: The Ties That Bind Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Witches' Legacy: The Ties That Bind Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Aug 16, 14 10:37 AM
I am of the fence with this game. I have the previous 3 of this series, but I am tired of the Imp. He does get on my nerves. This time you give him a yoyo at one point and than a rain coat to perform a task. Too much dialogue for me, but you can speed it up. Not a bad game, but if you got rid of the Imp and cut back on the dialogue the game would be much better. I might get the SE, but I will pass on the CE. If you like the Imp and the dialogue overload than you will most likely like this game.

indigobuni
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by indigobuni on Aug 16, 14 11:08 AM
I agree with everyone. I like games that come in a series, but once we hit a 4th, it really really has to be awesome to keep me continuing on with it. This one didn't grab me at all. The imp has become boring now. HOS are kind of a been there. I might get the SE of this when it comes out, since I can use a coupon, but I won't be getting the CE.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 16, 14 1:31 PM
J. LAW AND HER “CUTESY – HELPER” IMP HAVE RETURNED AGAIN FOR HER UPCOMING MARRIAGE WHICH I WON’T BE ATTENDING

Returning in another game from the Fun Elephant is our J. Law lookalike from the “Hunger Games, the good and kindly white witch, Elizabeth. After vanquishing her enemies with her amazing archery skills, she now is back to save her fiancé, Edward. Having been an orphan, Edward receives a message from an unknown person who knows what happened to his parents. He informs Elizabeth that he is going to meet with them at the orphanage although he knows it is just a ploy. Sounds like a runaway groom to me. Hopefully her upcoming marriage to Edward will be more rewarding and less boring than this game. And hopefully, now that she is joined in connubial bliss, this series will end and not produce another generation of witches.

There are three levels of play plus the ability to customize the game. The graphics are decent. Again, we have another “magic mirror” game to transport us to some other dimensional reality. The HOP scenes are interactive. The puzzles are ridiculously easy. There are morphing objects. You collect puzzles pieces to create a jigsaw puzzle. The “muzac” is not distracting.

This seemed to be destined to be a good game; however, of course, to me it was ruined by the addition of the “cutesy” helper. WE HAVE THE RETURN OF THE IMP, WHO, AT THE BEGINNING YOU HAVE TO DRESS AS WELL. I was going to purchase Thursday’s offering, - but I just don’t have any game which I can combine with it so I won’t purchase anything.

FINAL MEAN GIRL COMMENT ON THESE GAMES:

From my perspective – I cannot understand what is happening to this game site. This site had the most awesome games in the past. BF can have games with all the helpers they wish – animal, people, aliens – you name it – but I won’t be purchasing any of them. I am not ten years old. I do not think they are cute or adorable. I do not want any “game pets” to feed, to clothe or to “attach” to me while I play a game. Being one of the stalwart fans of this site and remembering the great games which USED to part of this site - I just give up with others (who have disappeared from this site) on trying to convey the message. From now on, if there is a game with a helper, I just won’t purchase it. Hopefully we will see some better offerings in the future. After playing so many games on this site - it is so sad to see how it has degenerated.

Edited on 08/16/2014 at 1:39:24 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 16, 14 3:24 PM
Hi all. Well, another addition to the Witches Legacy series. This is number 4 and yes, I already have the other three. The graphics and animation is well done, but again, we have the blues and pinks, which are very tiring on the eyes and certainly not natural. Even at that the other colors were very bright, almost too bright. When will the devs read the reviews? Game play was very good, but the Imp takes too long to get where he needs to go. Yep, he's back and helpful as ever. Gets to places you can't, in order to retrieve items. According to the game, you need to use him 14 times to get these inaccessible items. Music was pretty nice and relaxing. Voice overs are well done, but some dialog was a little silly.

Jump map is very helpful and each area is well marked and identified. The pictures are a little small and cannot be enlarged, but you can still see what it is. I like that each location is also marked if there is a morphing object or collectible to find as well. That is quite different. HOPs are fairly clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. They were set up differently and were fun. You can switch to a match 2 game, which I happen to like and it helps keep my brain sharp. Of course, playing these games helps as well. Puzzles were not difficult, but a couple took some time and thought...I especially liked the maze. Hint system is very helpful and fills very quickly, but does not transport.

There are a number of collectibles: 35 puzzles pieces that may not be there the first time you visit an area, or under something else; 35 morphing objects that can be almost anywhere; 10 items for the Imp (not sure what these are, but I accidentally found a few).

This one is somewhat different with much nicer HOPs and puzzles than the first 3 games. It's been a while since I played the others, but I believe the story is pretty much the same, or close to the others. Story is clear and easy to follow. For some reason, I was drawn to this game and I'm not sure why...even with the colors. I find the need to purchase this one and add it to my ever growing collection. I think this will appeal to all levels of players. By the way, I think we need some good SE games so I can use my credits before they expire!

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

shanyem
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by shanyem on Aug 16, 14 8:53 PM
Really had high hopes as I've had two purchased games not work this week - both CE's. I have 21 minutes left and was planning on purchasing it…when the screen froze. I'm going to persevere - I will uninstall/reinstall the game but I'm not that hopeful due to the problems going on. One last thing…if a game just won't work, you will be given coupon codes to 'make it right'. So here's the problem…you can't use coupon codes for CE's so you're OUT the money you spend!!! I have MANY coupons that expire because I purchase CE and nothing else is really any good. I play two other types of games that don't come with CE's but these come out VERY rarely. I - and I know others, have suggested that BFG make some kind of deal …so many coupons for a CE. Sounds fair to me especially if you are a person like me who has two codes expiring in two days, three which expired last month, etc. Thanks for letting me rant a bit!

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Aug 16, 14 9:44 PM
I enjoyed the first 2 games in this series. The previous one (the third one), I didn't care for. I like this one even less. Sometimes a series needs to come to a conclusion before it burns itself out which I feel is the case here. Game play and HOS were simplistic. As noted by SUNNYGLO : I have not found a good game to purchase in eons. My July punch card finished up blank. August is looking no better. The nap, I just say, is a nice one and is a jump map. Other than that, I'm just hoping Edward pops up somewhere so these 2 can get married and move along

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 17, 14 2:55 AM
I seem to be in the minority here but I like this game. Perhaps a little heavy on the HOS for my taste but they are at least varied in type, not all just list-type. And if you get tired of the HOS, there is a 'card matching' alternative.

Playing mode can be customised to suit, there are collectibles and morphing objects to find, puzzles are quite varied and some are not as easy as they first appear. A map allows you to jump locations and a helper, in the form of an imp, gets to awkward places. Personally I didn't find him the least bit 'cutesy' and as for dressing him up, I've only come across one instance in the game where this is done. And frankly, who would send any creature outside in the pouring rain without some protection, so I didn't find giving him a raincoat a big deal. You do find toys for him but they're just integrated into the game as collectibles and don't feature once found.

The graphics are nice enough, perhaps a little hazy in some places but perfectly clear otherwise. I got widescreen automatically. The girl's voice does get a but irritating but only because she talks way too much. Fortunately you can skip through the dialogue!

I bought this game as I enjoyed the demo; couldn't take advantage of the sale though as unfortunately no other recent CE was worth buying.

But I have to disagree with the perception that these games are 'for children' just because they have a helper in them; the 'Mystery Trackers' series have a helper (Elf the dog) but they're not considered to be 'for children'. And if this game is aimed at 'little girls', then I'm a very old 'little girl' cos I like it

Edited on 08/17/2014 at 3:13:32 AM PST

[Post New]by Bandidochi on Aug 17, 14 8:57 AM
I am not someone who normally posts in the forums but that doesn't mean that I am not lurking around checking things out.

Have you ever noticed that some "reviewers" only show up to leave negative, sometimes nasty comments about games that they by their own admission NEVER PURCHASE. I am wondering how anyone can make an informed decision about a game when they play possibly an hour, or in some cases less, of a game.

I happen to have purchased Witches' Legacy The Tie That Binds and find that it is an excellent game: one that I frankly did not think might be as good as it turned out. I don't write game reviews since I don't think I am good at it, but I do play almost all games in this genre simply because I enjoy them - so I do have a lot of experience.

Something I really like about this game is that it has quite a variety of very interactive hidden object scenes. The story gets better as we play and in the end is very good. Contrary to the opinion of one reviewer, I don't think the game was made for children.

If these games happen to bother some people so much, I wonder why they feel it is necessary to write such angry reviews. Perhaps they might get better results if they were able to remain objective without all of the denigrating comments. No one is twisting their arms to either play or purchase any particular game. If they object, maybe they should personally contact the game developer and let them know what they do want in a game but do it in a constructive manner that is more likely to get results.

As a final thought, maybe those who are so against this type of game are just trying to stir up controversy by saying that they are "made for children" or are "diversionary eye candy for little girls." I happen to be an adult who enjoys hidden object games. Yes, some of them are not what I want but I don't feel the need vociferously rant about them, I just don't buy them!

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Aug 17, 14 11:07 AM
I have just spent a very quiet Sunday afternoon thoroughly enjoying this gem from beginning to end, plus bonus, almost without a break. Yes, it really did draw me in that much.

I have played all of the others in the series and found this to be a very good ending (if that is where the devs are going to leave this series). The story unfolds beautifully with very well done dialogue lip synch.

Katniss Everdeen seems to have been moonlighting in between making The Hunger Games films. The resemblance is uncanny.

Graphics were beautifully done with interesting scenes that never bored me throughout. My favourite helper, the Imp, is back and just as hilarious as ever with his impish antics and novel way of reaching places. He had me laughing out loud a few times and anything that does this these days, I'll be more than happy to see. Bring me a whole zoo of helpers if it makes me (and others) smile!

No, you did not dress Imp up. You just gave him a raincoat once very early on. The Imp Room is a set of collectibles you find throughout the game. If you wish to see him interact with them, you can do this from the Imp's Room.

Here we have a lot of bells and whistles - 35 morphs, 35 collectible jigsaw pieces, 15 items to find for Imp, plus 12 achievements divided between performance and story, though there are none of the heavy click fest HOS ones such as 'find 10 in 10 seconds'.

The teleport map helpfully shows when you have found all collectibles and morphs in a scene by turning the star in the thumbnail golden. All of these items plus your achievements continue on in the bonus, which is a related story but the main one finishes on a lovely note (plus a slightly hilarious one if you look up on top of the arch).

HOS are interactive lists and also silhouettes and the alternative of memory card matching was also right up my alley.

It's a good long game and, all in, I spent around 6 plus hours on everything in one sitting and only skipped one puzzle.

I think it's definitely worth the CE price and especially with a sale. As ever, though, do try it first.

It gets 5/5 from me.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Aug 17, 14 12:43 PM
From playing the demo only:

It's all very silly and childish, the voice-overs grated, the imp got on my nerves .. and if I were Edward I'd ditch the scowling whinger and marry the witch .. who is far more interesting.

Nevertheless, the graphics are gloriously luscious, and you get to click on lot's of blingy and/or cutesy items, and it's a beautifully constructed game.

Not worth the CE price, but I'll definitely buy the SE.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 17, 14 3:10 PM
I find it interesting to read the opinions of others regarding a game and I can't understand why anyone would angrily rant about people posting negative reviews. I appreciate when those who didn't like a game speak up along with those who did. I've saved many hours and $$ by seeing someone mention something I know would be a deal-breaker for me in their negative game review.

For example, I'm an animal lover and if people mention in negative reviews that there is animal cruelty in the game I won't even bother to demo it because I know I will not only dislike it but it will make me sad as well. If someone says they played an entire demo and only saw a single HOS I know better than to bother trying it because I play HOPA games, in part, because I love HOS.

My thoughts on this game are largely negative but that shouldn't disqualify me from stating my opinion along with those who liked it. I'm honest in my reviews as per the Big Fish guide on good review writing. I hope my reviews are helpful to devs and players alike.

I liked the HOS in the game. They were fun in spite of being too easy for me and in spite of the fact that I didn't feel there were enough of them. That's about the only good thing I can say about it.

I thought the graphics were washed out and the color palette was monotonous. The voice overs were, at times, annoying to the point that the voices alone made it impossible for me to consider buying this game. Game play involves lots of backtracking which would be fine if there wasn't a lag between each area as it loaded. The story itself has been done so often that it would be difficult for any developer to find a unique way to present it. This one didn't. I felt as if I had played this game several times before because there is no way to distinguish it clearly from others that have the exact same story told the exact same way.

I thought the imp was ugly and I didn't care for how he shot his scroll out telling me what to do. I didn't like that the daughter was telling me what to do either. It felt like they were playing the game for me instead of letting me figure things out myself.

I don't mind well done cute helpers. I bought Fate's Carnival Collector's Edition, in part, because I could not resist the adorable Isis. She enhanced the game for me and made it special. This imp was irritating and made me not want to play this game so I wouldn't have to look at him any more. It's a no buy for me.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Aug 17, 14 4:05 PM
Haha, I might as well jump into this mixed bag of reviews and say that I really like this game. I didn't care for the last one in the series but this one is good. Although Lynn is rather deadpan the voiceovers aren't too bad.

As I have played further into the game, I have met the former sheriff in town and think he is a great addition to the game. For once we have a male character in a game who does more than just stand around telling me what to do.

BTW, AverageSizeFish, I happen to appreciate negative as well as positive reviews because I find both of them helpful. I am not quite sure why everyone is so stirred up and I didn't notice anyone leaving an angry rant about negative reviews but maybe I am missing something since I have been too busy playing and just checked out the reviews. I'm just not sure what all the fuss is about. I know some of us like certain things in games and others don't it's just a matter of personal opinion. Imp doesn't bother me too much but I would have been happier if he had stayed at home - lol.

All in all this is a very good game, better than the last and I do hope the sheriff shows up again if there is another game in the series. Ooops, maybe the series has run its course, who knows. I guess it depends on the game's sales.

Let's all be happy gamers whether we like someone else's point of view or not. It is only a game after all and not a matter of life and death.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 17, 14 4:26 PM
I didn't notice that everyone was all stirred up or that there is a fuss either so maybe I'm missing something too.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Aug 17, 14 6:02 PM

"Ties That Bind" Is An Interesting Choice

I was not too fond of the earlier entries in this series except Charleston Curse. I thought the story line in the earlier games did not make too much sense, bordering on silly at times. For Ties, it is not necessary to be familiar with the earlier games. I have to say that I found this entry to be not too bad. The story makes sense but is rather simplistic, at least in the beginning.

Your daughter Lynn is a witch, and she's about to marry Edward, a former witch hunter. This being a game, you know something will happen before the wedding and sure enough, Edward is lured away and you and Lynn must pursue him. You have a helper, an imp - the last game opened with the line "Mother, my imp has been acting strange today." Love that line. Fortunately, the imp does not talk and is activated automatically each time he/she is needed.

The drawing and cut scenes are good quality as are the voice actors. The opening scene in the home of Lynn and her mother had to be the ugliest example of interior decorating I have ever seen. Fortunately, the game moves to another scene none too soon so your eyes get a break.

Hidden object scenes and puzzles were fairly standard, good but not necessarily memorable.

I found it ironic that this game is titled The Ties That Bind, which is from the title of a Christian hymn, and yet this is a game about witches. Now, I don't need to be reminded that, "its only a game, they're not real witches" etc. I am well aware of that. I am simply pointing out the irony there. I do not know, and I sincerely doubt, that there was any intent to send any kind of message by using that title. But the developers should probably be more careful about that.

BTW, I too like negative reviews, that's why I write so many of them (heh, just kidding!) Seriously, I want to hear the honest opinion of everyone. When someone L O V E S a game that I did not like (which happens quite a lot, come to think of it ), I still want to hear the reasons why. Who knows, I could change my mind.

The legacy is improving but I can wait for the SE.

Go to: