Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Alice: Behind the Mirror here

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Aug 19, 14 2:26 AM
I played it so that you don't have to!

I HAD to give it 1 on the game page

They have ruined a childhood favourite of mine and to make matters worse, they keep making references to the delightful characters; the bread-and-butterfly, the rocking horse fly, the jubjub bird and my favourite jabberwocky to mention but a few!

Just do yourself a favour! Stop reading this, switch off your PC/Mac/Laptop and go and spend an hour watching paint dry!

OK, well if you insist!

If you played Les Mis a few days ago, then substitute one set of characters for the other and there you have it!

No levels of gameplay, music on/off, (I HIGHLY recommend off and I NEVER turn the music off!), sounds on/off.

Uninvited tutorial! Straight into an HOS (with even more irritating music). Just a simple list with a final single inventory item. Challenging? Yes, because there are tiny/invisibly camouflaged objects. I pride myself on never using a hint in an HOS. But, in this case I could't bear it! I would have skipped if I could! (Oh and by the way, if you think the hint takes an age, wait until you DO want to skip!) And even worse there are so many of them, around every corner!

Puzzles, so basic I cannot bring myself to describe them.

Now onto the things I really hated!
* That flaming purring/snoring (?) cat as my hint (and I loved the CC in the story!)
* Cheshire cat smiles all over the place; in scenes, in HOSs. Got bored and ignored them! They give 'interesting' facts if you can be bothered!
* Hold and drag, don't click to get things from your inventory. Well, we all loved that in 'The French Game' didn't we?
* Arrows, eyes, puzzle pieces and magnifiers glow altogether just in case you are unsure what to do for 2 seconds.
* You have to click the x to close all windows
* That stupid cat's face during every scene change/window opening to 'cover' the time it takes to transition
* Have to click the inventory up when you need it.

I would not buy this game if you thrust a coupon in my hand and dragged me to the 'store'.

So, there you go. Hope you enjoy the paint. Do not say you weren't warned!

T57 *willing to sacrifice her sanity for her fellow fishies*

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by greenshade on Aug 19, 14 2:37 AM
Double ditto to what Tufty said !! didn't even finish first HO before I exited and deleted.

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Aug 19, 14 2:52 AM
Totally agree! It's true, it really is that bad. If you have poor or aging eyesight, don't even bother. The HO items are miniscule! I used the hint button at least 3 times in the first one and only got partway through the second when I had to quit. So tiny it hurt my eyes! I expect more from Microids (Syberia), but both this and the earlier Les Miz are two of a kind and both rejects.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Aug 19, 14 3:00 AM
My, my, my ---- it seems when someone comes up with a different sort of game (you know, one that doesn't feature a relative in some sort of distress, or an animal helper, or the blue/pink/purple color palette, etc.) there is a storm of criticism in the review thread.

But I found the game different, clever, and refreshing.
There is no hand holding, the hints take a bit too long, and the mechanics of movement are different from what we are used to seeing ---- and that all adds up to an original experience.

The puzzles start out very simple and get much more challenging as you proceed. In addition to the puzzles, you are left to your own devices to figure out what steps are to be taken next. How refreshing is that ---- some actual adventuring.

It is probably not going to suit everyone's taste, but I liked it a lot. I actually got the game at another site quite some time ago, and have played it through a couple of times.

So, as always, don't listen to me or anyone else ---- download the demo, and try it for yourself. But I will say it needs more than 5 or 10 minutes, so give it some time to get used to a very different gaming experience.

Recommended.

Loved it

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 19, 14 3:35 AM
Just plain adorable game

I thought the game was wonderful. The story is a favorite of mine and I think it is well done here. The game is humorous and amusing.

The graphics look great and the game, with the exception of the custom cursor that cannot be switched for a system cursor, functioned smoothly.

There are no voice overs which, honestly, is better than other games that have voice overs which are poorly done IMO.

Yes, it is point and click rather than drag and drop. I don't mind point and click and I prefer it over the fussy drag and drop I've suffered through in games of lesser quality than this one.

The HOS are great and there are plenty. The scenes are not overly cluttered, the items you're seeking are clear and of good size, but even so you actually have to look to find things. The puzzles were fun and presented a little bit of challenge without being frustrating. I really like that Big Fish has been adding a few games that have us HOS-lovers in mind lately.

I spent the whole demo smiling and had a lot of fun with this game. I am definitely going to purchase it.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Aug 19, 14 3:57 AM
I played this game in full and found it fun and charming. Yes, it is heavy on HO scenes and the items can be a little difficult to find, especially the first couple of HO scene, but like I said it had a charm about it that kept me playing to the end. It was really nice to play something a little different than the usual.

Also, Finding those Cheshire Cat symbols gave tidbits about Lewis Carroll which I found interesting.

It is a good one to check for yourself to see how you like it since it won't be to everyone's taste.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 19, 14 4:14 AM
Simply Delightful. And Curiouser, Of Course.****
BASED ON DEMO

IN BRIEF

Let me be the first to acknowledge it. This game would be very appealing to kids. We’ve got talking animals, superb surreal graphics, (full of life and colour, despite the lack of animation), and really, really hard HOPs! A few fairly simple puzzles, and that’s all she wrote.

The original book is considered one of the best examples of literary nonsense – I just know how much you are gonna love that, detractors – playing with logic, and appealing to an adult audience. (according to Wikipedia) Like the book, though, there is more than its superficial appeal to kids in this game. IF you have the imagination and appreciation for poetry that the developers obviously have.

Either way, it is a bright and happy Wonderland environment that could have been put together by a team of artists from a Walt Disney movie – oh! That’s right, they did that! *chuckles obnoxiously to self* Everything is simple in this game. Except, as I mentioned, the HOP scenes.

There, you will need to work hard. I, who usually plays entire games without resort to a hint in the HOPs, struggled to escape without at least one hint per scene. Yes, some of the items are very small, and others disappear into the woodwork, some are hiding behind others. In a word, HARD. And I didn’t encounter it in the time I played, but it looked to me that the HOP scenes will be revisited.

It would also help if you know the story. I don’t know it really well (yes, I know I’m a philistine!), and already I am coming across references that I don’t remember from what I do know of the story. But when I do catch the reference, there is that definite sense of the humour and nonsense of the book.

Technical points. No choice of difficulty. No voiceovers. Simplistic dialogue/story. Little animation. Directional refilling hint. Simple but fun puzzles. Based in part on the kind of logical clues Lewis Carroll sprinkled throughout his book, many of which are still unsolved today. None of which was a problem for me. No notebook or map.

What I didn’t like was the need to click and drag it to use an inventory item.

One unique feature of the game is the Cheshire cat’s grin found sprinkled throughout. Clicked on, they provide interesting facts about the story and its fascination for film makers, especially Walt Disney.

So. If you dislike simple games, or can’t stand the thought of another talking rabbit, skip this game. And leave those of us who are focussed on the game’s fun value, its uniqueness and its humour, to do so without objections from the peanut gallery.
I recommend this game!

bunny796
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by bunny796 on Aug 19, 14 4:27 AM
As you can tell, I rarely comment about games but have been a member since 2010 with loads of games. I don't usually even trial games but buy and hope I made the right choice.

I was going to skip this game because of all the negative comments until I read some positive comments. I had to trial this one due to the mixed reviews just to see what it was all about.

The graphics are bright, music is delightful to listen to and gives us a real change from the games we normally see. Lots of HO scenes and they can be a challenge. But that makes the game more challenging. I am not a heavy HOS lover but this game is a good one to play in between others. It is on my list to buy next week. HOS lovers should at least trial this game.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Aug 19, 14 5:35 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Alice: Behind the Mirror here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Alice: Behind the Mirror.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Aug 19, 14 7:03 AM
Not a game for me.

The tidbits of info about Lewis Carroll are interesting but are way too liberal. They actually detract from game play because they are everywhere.

The music is the most annoying thing I've ever heard. I ended up turning it off because I just couldn't stand it. Then the background noises.

HOS are bright, which would make one think items would be easy to find. Not so. Some things are so small and so well blended with the objects they're on or with, they're nearly impossible to find without a hint. There's also the matter of having multiples of a type of item (eg, brushes) but not specifying a particular type of that item. So when you go clicking on a "brush," it isn't always the right item and leads to a lot of frustration.

The concentration puzzles are easy, but trying to catch the rocking horse flies and bread and butter butterflies is impossible and there is where I quit the game. Up until that point, you have a rather fat cursor. You've had to go find a net. You start going after the bugs, and you suddenly have this very fine pointed cursor and bugs that fly and loop around very fast. The end result is spending all of your time clicking at the air.

I loved Alice in Wonderland as a book and a Disney movie. This, however, is a mistake. What could have been an interesting game was not thought through well. I uninstalled the game and have no desire to even consider purchasing.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 19, 14 8:38 AM
I like this game! I find it charming/colorful and quit enjoyable. I enjoy all reviews. Always...try the game for yourself. We're are all different...and like different type of games. I agree with everyone who like's this game.

I rate this sweet little gem: "PIGLET"

“These are my terms" for hogs, I hogs, frogs & adventure games.

“DEVINE FINE SWINE”
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game.
It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot. LOL

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Aug 19, 14 10:58 AM
I gave up on those stupid "bread and butterflies". Annoying music and background noise. No sale.

I found it fun!

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 19, 14 11:13 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:The HOS are difficult! I didn't find the items too small, just extremely well hidden. It took longer to complete a HOS than usual, you can't just random click and find your items, you have to search!
I agree...the HOS are difficult but it's because the items are so cleverly hidden and not because they're too small.

I started the game over when I purchased it (as I always do so I can enjoy the start without feeling under the gun time-wise) and really paid attention to the HOS. The smallest item I've had on a HOS list so far is almost half an inch in size which is pretty standard for a HOS in my experience...actually larger than the objects in some games such as Madame Fate (remember those spades and clubs?) The hidden object scenes in this game are just that...scenes with really well hidden objects. Really clever work on the part of whoever designed them IMO and very fun to play.

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Aug 19, 14 11:31 AM
Cute game but no buy here! Cursor and navigation tools were awful. That made it too tedious to enjoy all of that cuteness!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 19, 14 11:36 AM
Hi all. I always read the reviews while I'm waiting for a demo to download, and never base my decision on whether to purchase a game or not without trying it for myself, no matter how bad the reviews may be. This game had very nice clear and bright colors, and the graphics were pretty good, although a bit cartoon like. Game play wasn't too bad, but the cursor was a little sluggish. No voice overs, but a lot of dialog to read. Music got very annoying very quickly.

Didn't care for the fact that you had to click and hold an inventory item and then move it to where it needed to be used. Your hand gets tired quickly. There is a click penalty as well. This alone makes the game feel very old. HOPs were very simple, but items were not all that easy to see. Some were quite dark and others were the same color as where they were hidden, e.g. a brown apple, or not exactly what you were suppose to find, e.g. 2 clothes brushes and not a paintbrush, while other items were so small you could barely see them at all. Hint system was helpful but filled very slowly and constantly sparkled, which is quite distracting.

This could have been a very nice game without much extra effort, but I'm sorry to say that I couldn't even finish the demo, which I think has only happened one other time. I'm not even sure a beginner would enjoy this one. I seldom do not recommend a game, even if I don't care for it, but this one has too many minuses. A no buy for me today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Aug 19, 14 12:18 PM
This game is most definitely for Hidden Object lovers because the HO's are numerous. I actually think the game is fun although I am not a fan of HO's, and these HO's are challenging. It has a childish story type theme and graphics which is to be expected by it's title. You have to remember to hang on to the objects you need to use in a scene -- if you let go, the object remains in your inventory.

Turn down the music with your own speakers if you don't like it since that option is not available in the game. I did not find the music distracting because of having to read a lot of dialog (necessary!) as well as concentrate on the task.

The few mini-games I got to play in my demo time were fun!

I want to play this entire game just to see how it plays out, but will wait for a sale. I am guessing it will become a Daily Deal pretty soon because of all the negative reviews and low rating. I will rate it 3 stars.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 19, 14 12:45 PM
"IF IT HAD GROWN UP, IT WOULD HAVE MADE A DREADFULLY UGLY 'CE' - BUT IT MAKES A RATHER HANDSOME PIG, I THINK" (FOR A HOG SE) (ALICE PARAPHRASED)

And so we have a "handsome pig" (HOG game) for those who like "fine swine." We have a Mad Hatter "leftover dinner" which should occur on Wednesday but actually occurs on Tuesday. And this game is produced by the save dev from last week. It must be bargain basement time for BF - two low budget games for the price of one.

I found the game very tedious - mainly because I don't like strictly HOG games. Some of the items must have drunk the "DRINK ME" potion because they are so tiny they are almost impossible to locate, (probably wanting to disappear from this game). Others are just hiding because they want out of this game as well. The graphics and the technology used to produce this game are dated. You must hold the an inventory item with the mouse in order to use it. This game still utilizes the "clunky" time bar to transfer from scene-to-scene. On the "plus" side - throughout the game you receive snippets about the life of Lewis Carroll; however, I must admit - as a bibliophile, found out some new facts about our famous math teacher.

The dev who produced these games creates beautiful and awesome games - just these aren't part of the "equation." I see most people again are "divided" in their opinions on this game. I personally do not want to "subtract" from anyone's enthusiasm; however, I did not care for this game. There is an "exponential " growth of HOG scenes as you continue in the game. Without "multiplying" the headache I am developing with serial HOG scenes in this game - I am going to have to leave to pursue a less eyeball bending and mind draining pursuit - work!

I RATE THIS GAME 2 DEVIATIONS FROM THE (NORM)AL SE OUT OF 5 DEVIATIONS FOR AN SE.

Quoting Alice on this game "... It seems to fill my head with ideas -- only I don't know exactly what they are." (Alice)

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Aug 19, 14 6:40 PM
It seems that from the reviews, players either really like this game or really don't. Put me on the side of REALLY LIKE! I'm not too far into the demo as yet, but I've had no tech problems. I enjoy the factoids about Carroll and other background info. The graphics are great. The HOS are hard, but hey, isn't that what they are supposed to be. And anyway, there is the hint meter. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I do find something. I'm ready to buy, but I'm going to play a little longer because some other fishies are having tech problems pop up. At this point though, this game gets my whole- hearted endorsement! Give it a try. It's something different and that is always good.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Aug 19, 14 9:26 PM
I also was surprised when my hour demo was over. I guess that we have quickly become used to the 90 minute demo time for CEs.

To my surprise again, I did like this game very much. This game requires patients: patients to find the objects in the HOS, and patients with catching those Bread-and-Butterflies. I find nothing wrong with using a hint, or even two or three, to find something I just can't seem to find after looking at the scene for a couple of minutes. Even though I usually play in casual mode, I found the challenge level of this game quite refreshing and not extremely difficult.

As most others have said, you should try the demo to see if it's for you because you just might be surprised.

Go to: