Edited on 08/20/2014 at 5:44:14 AM PST

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Imperial Island 2: The Search for New Land here

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Aug 20, 14 5:43 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Imperial Island 2: The Search for New Land here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Imperial Island 2: The Search for New Land.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

maziemom
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by maziemom on Aug 20, 14 10:56 AM
I enjoyed the demo of this game, but don't quite understand the scoring. On some boards, I got three stars without difficulty, but only got one star on other boards. This in spite of clearing the board quickly and attaining the objectives. I don't understand what else you have to do to score and gain stars. Unfortunately there was no help feature in the menu.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 20, 14 11:09 AM
Yes, there is a Help entry in the menu, but the Scoring isn't explained there. I have the same question about the Scoring as maziemom.
Besides, showing time and scoring - and esp. having a connection between scoring and getting all stars - doesn't match with the (intention of a ) Casual mode, IMO. Felt unpleasantly rushed.

maziemom
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by maziemom on Aug 20, 14 11:56 AM
Well I always play the timed version when I have a choice, just because enjoy the challenge of it. Usually the quicker you clear the board and achieve the objectives, the higher your score. That's why this part of the game makes no sense to me. Am I supposed to be doing something else? Is there a place to see how many stars you have accumulated so far before ending the level and getting your final score? I replayed both levels that i only got one star on, and still wasn't able to improve my score.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Aug 20, 14 12:53 PM
Okay, this isn't as detailed a production as the first game , but I like it. Graphics are nice in this one with generously sized tiles and smooth board action.

The game page says 100 levels, whereas the first game had hundreds of levels even after 'game completed'. However, what I really miss is the 'building'. In the first game, that building screen was a beautifully detailed work of art in motion.

I do love achievements and trophies, but I'm still feeling more than a little burned about the glitch in the original game for the "Stroll Airport" trophy (aka the secret mission) which left so many of us trying to figure out how to collect that trophy so we could also get the final one for collecting All the Trophies. The developers never responded with a patch to correct that trophy glitch.

Several reviews wonder about scoring/stars/timer. Now I see why! I checked Casual, earned the golden wings for 'fastest time', but only got one star. So then unchecked Casual, took 5 minutes goofing around before clearing the board and instead of timing out, it awarded 3 stars! So each level of the demo I went back and forth testing times fast and slow, got 1 star or 3 stars, no obvious reason why. Best I can see, devs gave the timer a mind of its own!

Despite reservations about trophies working properly and the timer working consistently, I'm going to use a free code on this come next Monday. I had fun in the demo and I want to finish it out.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Aug 20, 14 3:39 PM
I did enjoy the demo and will purchase this on a Monday with a PCC. I like the fact that you have a choice of Timed or Relaxed Mode. (No timer for me, please!) Like some the other reviewers, I did not understand the scoring as far as stars for a given level goes, but I'll live with that. The demo was a lot of fun, but I did like the first game better due to being able to see the city being built and feeling more sense of achievement. I would give this 4 out of 5 (I'd give the first game 5.) I think almost anyone who enjoys M-3 games can find things to like about this.

Edited on 08/21/2014 at 1:19:00 PM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Aug 20, 14 4:40 PM
I like this game, but I do miss the fun of building an "empire", especially the extraordinary one in the first game Now that was fun! I will buy this game because I'm a fan of good match three games and I need a break from HOGS for awhile. Maybe as the game progresses we'll get to do more than just break tiles.

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Aug 21, 14 8:39 AM
maziemom wrote:I enjoyed the demo of this game, but don't quite understand the scoring. On some boards, I got three stars without difficulty, but only got one star on other boards. This in spite of clearing the board quickly and attaining the objectives. I don't understand what else you have to do to score and gain stars. Unfortunately there was no help feature in the menu.

I had exactly the same issue with the timer. There was one board that I tried 3 times and could only get one star on, despite having beaten the time given. Then there were other boards where I was sure I wasn't going to get 3 stars and I did. The timer is wonky...

Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on Aug 22, 14 10:13 AM
mgpaquin wrote:
maziemom wrote:I enjoyed the demo of this game, but don't quite understand the scoring. On some boards, I got three stars without difficulty, but only got one star on other boards. This in spite of clearing the board quickly and attaining the objectives. I don't understand what else you have to do to score and gain stars. Unfortunately there was no help feature in the menu.

I had exactly the same issue with the timer. There was one board that I tried 3 times and could only get one star on, despite having beaten the time given. Then there were other boards where I was sure I wasn't going to get 3 stars and I did. The timer is wonky...

I only play untimed, but I had the same question, which was answered on another thread. There is a meter on the left of the screen that fills up when you make matches. It will fill to one star, then two stars, and finally three gold stars will appear. When you get the three stars, you will get three stars at the end of the game. It's a little odd in untimed, as I don't dare finish the game until I make enough matches to get the three stars, then I'll take out the final gold tile or whatever. Hope this helps.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 23, 14 5:54 AM
I think I would like this game EXCEPT my eyes can't handle the shiny-sparkly things like the bomb fuses and items you gather to activate bonuses.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Aug 23, 14 9:16 AM
What a disappointment!

I like the building as it gives you a goal to focus on and a break from the monotonous clearing of boards.

This was just one board after another, and seemed like it was just bashed together to make some more money. The english was terrible in it too.

I was looking forward to playing this, but was severely disappointed when I did play it. I will not be buying this at all.

geniegal
Clownfish
Clownfish
603 Posts

[Post New]by geniegal on Aug 26, 14 7:32 AM
I loved Imperial Island, but this one is BOOOORING! It is same old, same old over and over again.

I would rather play Imperial Island. Played demo time, but will be deleting this game.

Darkaddict25
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by Darkaddict25 on Sep 13, 14 3:14 PM
I was hopeful this would be a great sequel to an already great Match 3 Game. But it
was not meant to be. I find the 3 Star Rating makes no sense at time and it just
becomes plain silly. I dislike that they took out the building. I know some match
3 people just want board after board. But I find the game to be quite boring and
the buildings at least gave you a reason to keep playing. I felt like I was working
towards something and a reward.

I was rather excited when I saw the sequel but it did not last long once I found out they took the building things out.

I found myself starting to fall asleep because the game is rather boring.

I dislike when a sequel comes out and they take things out. It okay to have new
but you can't forget the old Either.

I can appreciate that they were trying to do something new and had the best intentions but they forgot about the old. It needs to be balanced out.

I will be sad to report this game gets a 1 out of 5 stars. If there is a third one
they should rethink about the things they took out in the second installment
and put it back it otherwise I have no interest in this series. I am not paying
for a game that feels like it half of a game and lacking.

I am sure some will like this but it not for me and can only say one good thing is the
Graphics are just as great as the first one. But that not enough for me.

I won't recommend this game to anyone who is looking to build stuff like the first one.

I will be deleting this game and moving on to games that are worth my time and effort. It not this one my friend.

Edited on 09/13/2014 at 3:15:28 PM PST

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Nov 8, 14 5:51 AM
I liked Imperial Island 1, so bought this game on the strength of that.
Like most other reviewers, I felt it's not so good: slightly less crisp and generally not so rewarding to play.
I get the impression that someone sketched out the mechanics on the back of an envelope, for both games, and I.I.1 is the result from the 'A' team and this is from the 'B' team (sorry, chaps, if you're reading this!).
I think overall I recommend this game but would suggest that you try I.I.1 first...

Go to: