Please post your REVIEWS for PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Aug 21, 14 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 08/21/2014 at 6:02:47 AM PST

kpajak
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by kpajak on Aug 21, 14 3:02 AM
Well, I played about 10 minutes, and so far it does not compare to the previous puppet show games. I'll give it a little bit more play, but so far not impressed.

Xmas3kds
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Xmas3kds on Aug 21, 14 3:15 AM
kpajak wrote:Well, I played about 10 minutes, and so far it does not compare to the previous puppet show games. I'll give it a little bit more play, but so far not impressed.

Agree totally...I've played almost 25 minutes and this ISN'T like the other Puppet Shows...many silly puzzles to move the story along, and the HOG are small and repetitive. Maybe I'll wait for the SE.

kjos
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by kjos on Aug 21, 14 3:34 AM
5 min. is all I could take. I own the other three games but this one I couldn't take. Uninstalled it after 5 min. Saved some money. ERS games are one of my favorites.
Richard

Edited on 08/21/2014 at 3:39:44 AM PST

MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Aug 21, 14 3:44 AM
I completely agree. I usually like the Puppet Show games, but this one is far below par. Save your time and money.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Aug 21, 14 4:10 AM
Hm, looks like I'm the odd one out , because I actually like the game so far.

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Aug 21, 14 4:36 AM
Decided to delete my none review.

Sorry fishes, we should all stick to posting reviews only!

Edited on 08/21/2014 at 10:57:41 PM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Aug 21, 14 4:37 AM
swedane wrote:
shelterhill wrote:Hm, looks like I'm the odd one out , because I actually like the game so far.
Hi shelterhill, I'll keep you company for the entire game. Played the full 1 hour demo and liked that the story continued from where the previous one left off.

Happy gaming!

You too

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 21, 14 4:55 AM
shelterhill wrote:Hm, looks like I'm the odd one out , because I actually like the game so far.
I like it too.

campfire29
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by campfire29 on Aug 21, 14 5:27 AM
Looks like I'm on the like side! Very similar to the series.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Aug 21, 14 6:02 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Aug 21, 14 6:36 AM
Loved the first game but eventually dreaded seeing "new PuppetShow!" when I'd see what the new game of the day was. That annoying tinkly music! However, this game is excellent. It has an interesting story, very fun game play, unique hidden object scenes (I really like finding scattered objects in a room for some reason) and the art work is some of the best I've ever seen. Even the music is very good.

Definite buy for me but I'll wait to see what the weekend sale brings.

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by greenshade on Aug 21, 14 7:11 AM
I played the beta and enjoyed it but after playing this demo I had my doubts about the challenge so went back and play Lost Town and wow... what a difference ! Lost Town is what got me hooked on the Puppet Show games. The games in the sequel seem to be getting easier rather than staying at the same challenge level.

Guess to each his own but would rather wait on this one.

Please post your REVIEWS for PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 21, 14 7:27 AM
Why I won't be buying this game:

Right away when I landed in the town I got a tutorial popup that wouldn't go away until I followed the instructions. It wouldn't allow me to skip it. I really don't like enforced tutorials like this.

There were black bar tips at the top (whether wanted or not) that told me to "Find" something when that thing was the only thing in the location to click on and it was extremely obvious without the tip that I needed to click it. This level of hand-holding is not for me.

The HOS were often so simple that it felt like I was proving I know how to point and click rather than looking for things. One HOS had every item I needed to find completely obscured by closed up flowers so in order to "find" them I needed to randomly click around on all the flowers in the scene to reveal them. I prefer HOS where I am looking for hidden objects not HOS where I am randomly clicking to discover something that is completely obscured. Partially obscuring is fine but this was not fun at all. There weren't enough HOS for me either.

The puzzles were sometimes clever but even the clever ones were very, very easy. It was ok playing them but not challenging enough to hold my interest. The UI in the puzzles was sometimes very fussy and required precise placement of the mouse in order to accept my click. Point and click is great...when it works smoothly.

The little boy's voice had this chipper, yet wooden, quality to it that grated on my nerves. The other voice overs were fine.

I didn't like how I had to frequently go back through almost the whole game to use an inventory item I had just found. There was so much backtracking that I got bored looking at the same areas over and over. This was especially so because the graphics, while clear, were sort of faded looking and dull.

There were too many cut scenes for me. It felt like every time I turned around there would be another cut scene interrupting the game.

All in all I give this game 2.5. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't fun to play either.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 21, 14 8:10 AM
I've never really been a fan of ERS games and often found myself bemused by the rave reviews they received. To me they were and to some extent still are, too formulaic.

However the fact that this one differs from the previous games in the series is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I found myself totally engrossed in the story and was disappointed when the demo ended. The cut scenes are of superb quality and the voice-overs are really quite excellent. The graphics were perhaps a touch hazy but suited the game perfectly.

No cluttered HOS in the demo; items are found mostly individually but others were of the 'find so many of a certain object' type. The puzzles were pretty easy but very much fun to play. There are collectible 'piggy-banks' to find which contain coins; these are used for restoration of monuments/buildings, which is a refreshing change from using them to dress up a cute helper or decorate its home. There was no helper in the demo and hopefully not in the entire game!

It's not really challenging in any way but it's fun to play and the story intrigues me enough to want to know how it ends. So, to my surprise and for the first time in years, I'm buying an ERS CE; wonders will never cease

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 21, 14 9:12 AM
Hi all. Well, finally another addition to the Puppet Show series. This is the 6th in the series: PS: Souls of the Innocent; Destiny Undone; Lost Town; Mystery of Joyville (the only one not originally a CE); Return to Joyville and now this one. Naturally, I have the first 5 already. This game is pretty much the same as the other. Yes, there are blues and pinks throughout, but they are not over-powering like so many others. Graphics are very clear and clean. Game play was good, but did seem to lag a bit and froze at the ship helm, but no problem since restarting. Music is pretty much the same as all the others in the series. Voice overs are well done and appropriate for the character.

There is a jump map, but not too keen on the set up (the street lamp lights up when there is something to be done in a location). It does work quite well. Hint system is very helpful and does transport you to locations. It takes 40 seconds for it to recharge and I didn't see where you could change that.

HOPs are very clean and clear and items were not difficult to find. They are set up somewhat differently than most, which was fun. You can switch between word hints for items, or a list of items. Puzzles were not difficult at all, actually very simple.

The only collectibles I found were piggy banks, which are not hard to see. They are larger and pretty much in the open. You collect coins from these banks in order to "re-build" and "repair" two landmarks. Nothing morphing or anything else. Sort of boring.

This game did not grab my attention like the other 5 and seemed more simplistic. Same old creepy puppets, but not really exciting or challenging. Very disappointing. I don't see that just repairing two landmarks is worth the price of a CE. I think I will wait for the SE version on this one, but I have been known to change my mind.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the review.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 21, 14 11:03 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:We have "find lists" which may have just one items to find, although the items are just sitting right there to pick up. Was it a hidden object scene to pick up 8 huge helm pieces to repair the wheel?

I felt the same about the "HOS" with the springs. The idea of it was sort of clever but all the springs were gigantic and sitting right in plain sight. It isn't a hidden object scene if the objects aren't hidden IMO.

twinsoniclab wrote:And just what does "Ugliness attracts people's attention just like beauty" suppose to mean? We are told that when clicking on a poster of a young woman.

Just euuw...I didn't notice this but having that in the game makes me feel vaguely uncomfortable about what the developers mean by it.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Aug 21, 14 11:20 AM
I have played all the Puppetshow series as I am a big fan of them, I personally love, love this game, to the point that I didn't even waited for a sale to buy it.

Is different from the other ones, even when I understand and agree that once you play the first game the rest will never compare.

But, I like it and I want more of it.

BTW I usually do not post to reviews, but I had to on this one.

marg
Bigfish

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 21, 14 1:02 PM
LIKE AN "ENERGIZED BUNNY" THIS DEV KEEPS GOING AND GOING BACK TO GREATNESS

A LITTLE GAME MAGIC HAS "ALMOST" PULLED THE RABBIT OUT OF THE HAT OF GAME MEDIOCRITY

We return to the late 19th century Paris and the Moulin Rouge (affectionately called "Moulin de Rose" in the game) by the GamERS. Ala Dr. Frankenstein, an evildoer is kidnapping "les belles femmes " and through some type of electromagnetic energy generated by lightning ,is transforming them into "les marionnettes". Somehow this is interwoven in a tragic love story between a girl from an established Parisian family and a "gitano (gypsy) from a traveling circus. A girl with physical deformities is also tied to this story. Having had her magical doll stolen by the same fiend, a gypsy fortune teller, with her great intuitive powers, helps you analyze the evidence you collect to help solve this case and locate the villain. Can love survive death?

This is an adventure game which is puzzle-lite and HOP heavy. There are only three levels of play with no option to customize the game, which is INEXCUSABLE! Every CE game should have this option! The graphics are "tres magnifique." and the storyline is intriguing. The HOP scenes are puzzle-like and have differing approaches throughout the game. However, there are "SPARKLES" in the hardest level. Devs - this is also INEXCUSABLE! The inventory is interactive. The puzzles are extremely easy - with many sequencing ones and collection of pieces to complete some object. You collect coins to become a patron of the arts. With your loot you reconstruct the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty. The game is easy to navigate - so much so that it is a little boring. I really disliked the "fan" inventory bar. There is a map and achievements are usual.

Gone are the puppet strings of the "cutesy helpers" manipulating us throughout the game. I did have to retrieve a cub for a mother bear, but the dev may still be experiencing the effects of withdrawal from the animal kingdom. I must admit this game is a much desired improvement.

This is "good" game, but not a "great" game. Abracadabra! Let me pull the "rabbit out of the hat." I RATE THIS GAME 4 RABBITS OUT OF 5 RABBITS. A little more magic is needed to find that extra rabbit! I will purchase this game along with the Nordic adventure (I have to support my blonde roots) from last week if BF has a special. Poof! I now need to disappear into work.

Edited on 08/21/2014 at 1:04:47 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 21, 14 1:26 PM
I have been waiting for this game for sooo long... and finally get to buy it and play it. This was one of my favorite series and know it will not be a disappointment. ERS is one of my favorite developers and have been building up this release for a long time. Even without playing will give this 5 out of 5 stars..

Go to: