Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Statue of Liberty: The Lost Symbol here

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Aug 25, 14 1:50 AM
No 3 of a job lot?

Do you remember a couple of games recently where you had:

* Arrows, eyes and magnifying glasses telling you what to do?
* A single level of gameplay with no choice of difficulty level?
* No sound on VOs but lips moving incessantly?
* Inventory items that you have to drag-and-drop?
* Windows and HOS inventory achievements where you have to click the X to close/claim?
* HOSs where the items were 'well hidden', which you came across 8x in the 60 minute demo, which you revisited, where some of the items were 3x this or 3x that?
* Where you could click a 'hidden' symbol in HOSs or scenes to reveal interesting facts?

If you enjoyed those games then here is No3. This time you are an FBI investigator trying to discover who has 'stolen' the Statue of Liberty's flame.

I found the storyline a little more interesting this time, the graphics were OK, the music was OK but repetitive.

HOS heavy, this is definitely one for lovers of the 'classic' HOS style; a simple word list and much searching to be done. The hint recharges in about 30 seconds if you are struggling.

Puzzles were quite good (I encountered 3). There is little help and the hint just says, for example, "put the metal bits together" with no real clue as to where to start so they could challenge the old grey cells.

So, I would say it is a little better than Jean Valjean and Alice, and this time I might possibly use an expiring coupon without kicking and screaming, but it does not thrill me.

As I said, if you like classic HOGs with much handholding from the ever-present arrows, eyes, etc then go on and give it a try. This is what will put me off. I want to search that scene and find things for myself and then conclude, for myself, that there is nothing more to be done.

I recommend you try it, not that you buy it!

ETA no tech issues on Windows 7 Home Professional.

T57 *rummaging in the attic for old games to sell to BFG*

Edited on 08/25/2014 at 1:51:16 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 25, 14 1:55 AM
Eh Tuffy,
At least they are more playable and less tedious than HDO games.

Edited on 08/25/2014 at 1:56:19 AM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Aug 25, 14 2:29 AM
There are arrows and eyes that appear on the screen telling you what to look at and where to go. You might think this would be on the easy level, but no. There is no choice of difficulty level.

The puzzles are truly inexplicable. In the first one, you are to "move the forklift to clear a path," but there was no forklift, only a circle showing the face of your character, and there was no indication of where the path was to lead to. Everything looked the same. It took about two minutes for the skip to fill.

There are mistranslations in the HOS, but these are some of the clearest, cleanest graphics I've seen in any game and the coloring is realistic. This does NOT mean the objects are easy to find.

I thought the story might turn out to be interesting, but
I want to search that scene and find things for myself and then conclude, for myself, that there is nothing more to be done.
If this had been an old game mouldering on a shelf in the BFG warehouse released as a DD or CTW, I could understand, but as a new release. Seriously? What were they thinking?

Edited on 08/25/2014 at 2:51:15 AM PST

Lilly214
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Lilly214 on Aug 25, 14 2:52 AM
I was not impressed. Nothing aggravates me more than when there is no option to limit time for "skip" in a puzzle. It seems the developers never gave a thought to the people that don't care to do them, or at least the option to skip it. This is a no buy for me.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Aug 25, 14 5:16 AM
Im sorry I tried to like but it's a no for me.I also was having problem picking up items.It's old school to me.And the sheriff reminded me of the cartoon guy Fat Albert haha.I just found it boring.Guess i'll wait and see what's coming up.

AliKat611
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by AliKat611 on Aug 25, 14 5:55 AM
Is this really new? I feel like I've seen this before. Deja vu I guess.

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Aug 25, 14 6:11 AM
Hi everyone!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Statue of Liberty: The Lost Symbol here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate, and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Statue of Liberty: The Lost Symbol.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Mods.

bfgGlithui

Edited on 08/25/2014 at 1:26:42 PM PST

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 25, 14 7:03 AM
This game plays much like a classic HOP game with the addition of a minor inventory-management component. The thing which most sets it apart from the HOP games of the past are the beautifully sharp graphics and the ability to move from location to location rather than getting to HOS using some kind of map/blueprint/house plan. There are also some interactions within each location but this is not a major element of the game. This game is structured around HOS and puzzles.

The music is repetitive, but pleasant and unobtrusive enough to not become annoying IMO. There are few atmospheric sounds but they are well done. There are no voice overs so, if you don't care for the music, you can turn the sound off without missing anything significant.

The feature that makes this game similar to older HOP games is the number of, and level of challenge in, the HOS and puzzles. There are plenty of both. The HOS are crisp and the items to find are not tiny. They are, in some cases partially obscured and, in many cases, very well camouflaged. They are all list finds with no interactive component and none of the items is fully obscured so that you have to move things in order to find it. The HOS range in difficulty from moderately tough to pretty hard due to the cleverness with which things are hidden. The puzzles aren't extremely innovative but they range up to moderately difficult and are fun to do.

The story has you playing as an FBI agent sent to Liberty Island to investigate the mysterious disappearance of the Statue of Liberty's flame. You will run into a few other characters but not very many as the island has recently been evacuated. Throughout the game, and in the HOS, there are Statue of Liberty logos to find and when you click on them they reveal an interesting fact about the monument. The storyline unfolds in dialogues with other characters and brief monologues from your character, the FBI agent. Since there are no voice overs this information is all delivered in text.

The game uses drag and drop rather than point and click. You have to close each popup box by clicking an X. You can't get rid of the custom cursor and it has a tiny bit of lag.

Overall, this game is reminiscent of older, classic HOP games. Fans of that genre might like this. People who prefer the newer HOPA style game may find the adventure component lacking here.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 25, 14 7:09 AM
bfgGlithui wrote:Hi everyone!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Lost Legends: The Weeping Woman here.

I read your post and momentarily thought I had accidentally posted my review of the Statue of Liberty game in the wrong place.

Bluecassie37
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by Bluecassie37 on Aug 25, 14 9:50 AM
Well this doesn't seem like a new game at all - very old school. The story line was interesting but I was frustrated by the lack of options (cursor, skip button and levels are all fixed).

The graphics and game play well with no tech issues. There is no vocal dialogue, the lips move and you read off the screen. I found the HOS frequent and many of the items were well hidden. There are a couple of odd translations.

There is no real exploring here - go where the arrows say, look at what the eye or magnifying glass are showing, then move on. I liked the factoids but there were a LOT of them.

Not a buy for me, but new gamers might like the structure.

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Aug 25, 14 1:31 PM
I'm sorry about posting the wrong title, everyone! This is indeed the review thread for Statue of Liberty: The Lost Symbol and not Lost Legends: The Weeping Woman.

Carry on!

bfgGlithui

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 25, 14 1:44 PM
Considering I can walk out my door, go down about a block, take a right and walk maybe 3 or 4 blocks and there she is, the Statute of Liberty out in the bay, I'm sad(dish) that this game isn't more interesting but I really didn't find it so. It feels very old school, and Nvidia is at it again -- it doesn't recognize this developer so the color is pretty greenish/grayed, too bad. I found the directional arrows and magnifying eyes completely unnecessary, I didn't need the factoids on the history of the Statute of Liberty, and the bizarre lips-moving thing was, if you really looked, pretty disconcerting. Flap, flap, flap. I only stuck it out for 15 minutes, but this will probably be fun for fans of HOP's, because there are a lot of them and the graphics are quite clear. However, this game really does remind me of the kinds of simpler games I was playing 4 years ago, so no buy for me. And, oh by the way, I can't think of many recent immigrants coming to the U.S. by boat and seeing the Statute of Liberty -- my grandparents probably did just that, but that was a long time ago.

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Aug 25, 14 2:35 PM
This is the type of game that I usually love. I like the "old fashioned" games. I am, probably, "old fashioned!"

BUT.. What is the secret to SKIPPING the Forklift game!!! I can't figure it out, and the skip button keeps renewing every time you re-start the trial. I could NEVER get past the stupid puzzle.

How did you get past it OR, if you are lucky, SKIP It. ???

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 25, 14 3:14 PM
HOG HEAVY - PUZZLE LITE OLD SCHOOL GAME

THE FLAME HAS GONE OUT ON MY PASSION TO PLAY OLD SCHOOL GAMES AND MAY LADY LIBERTY FREE US FROM ANY MORE OF THESE GAMES

Hey - three's the charm! We have another SE game from the same dev three weeks in a row. Maybe, if we are lucky, after this week, we will not see another one. "Quelle horreur." We have another "bargain basement" repackaged game from "Le Singe." Also returning are the elements of older game technology as well. You are called in to locate the "flame" from the Statue of Liberty, which is missing.

To me, THIS IS A MUCH BETTER GAME THAN LAST WEEK! There is only one level of play. This game has no voiceovers. It is principally a HOG game with junk piles (Hey - I am sorry if I stole this term "junk piles" from a big, important fish in this pond. Please don't attack me - I'm just a "petit poisson " - no it is not French for little person but little fish). For those who are recovering from your "blind moment" from last week's adventure, the items are EASIER TO SEE in this game. The older game technology of eye symbols, arrows, puzzle symbol for puzzles and magnifying glasses are back as well. The time bar is back between scenes. This game also requires to keep your finger on the mouse to move inventory items. However, although based on older concepts - the puzzles are decent. This would be a great game for children to learn about the origins of our "Lady of Liberty" and the ties to France.

The French gifted us with a wonderful "leftover" gift , "La Liberté éclairant le monde" (liberty enlightening the world). Actually, initially it was designed by Bartholdi as a new "Colossus of Rhodes" for the opening of the Suez Canal; however, wars and other events did not see its fruition. Bartholdi decided to use the design upon seeing immigrants entering Ellis Island. ("Vraiment" devs - I need to remind you that Ellis Island long ago stopped processing immigrants?) A smaller replica is on a bridge in Paris. It makes a good photo op in Paris but you will probably get run over.

Should I purchase this "leftover gift" from the French with French ambiance? -Nah - I am not interested. However, it may be"agréable" for you.

Edited on 08/25/2014 at 3:20:50 PM PST

ljmb21
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by ljmb21 on Aug 25, 14 7:09 PM
Oldie but not a goodie, this game is plagued with problems and game play is at a very slow pace.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Aug 26, 14 7:35 PM
Did they rummage around in an old storage closet and yell "Hey, look at this! We forgot to try and sell this turkey!"?
That about covers my opinion.

[Post New]by Hollyau on Aug 30, 14 6:46 PM
First of all Hi from down under
This is the first post I have ever posted anywhere.
I have been stuck in the museum and cannot move.
I would like to add I am no longer young,
and would like some help.
Or isn't that allowed!

Edited on 08/30/2014 at 6:47:34 PM PST

[Post New]by Hollyau on Sep 2, 14 11:15 PM
Well , I am disappointed, no help from anyone.
I shall just wait a while longer.

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Sep 7, 14 7:01 AM
Hi Hollyau!

A shame you got no responses, but probably better if you start a new discussion by clicking that button at the top of the forum, rather than burying your request in the review thread, if you want help with gameplay.

Best wishes

T57

Go to: