siscokid
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

BFG and BING in Cahoots now??

[Post New]by siscokid on Aug 25, 14 5:24 AM
When installing this game, a window popped up that I needed to install the "latest Direct X" driver. Okay, I'll bite.
When downloading that version there were options to click inviting me to install the "Bing Toolbar." Personally, no...I HATE Bing. But that's just me.
I unclicked that option for the Bing Toolbar and after installing the "latest Direct X" software, it told me...never mind, (in a manner of speaking) You already HAVE the latest installation. Really?!? Then why insist that my computer "needed" that installation? Unless, they are in tandem with BF, and are trying to generate god knows what. I don't understand the purpose of the whole situation other than free advertising for Bing? Seriously?

Things that make you go hmmmm....

Maybe someone else has the answer to this perplexing question. I simply don't get it. And it's annoying.

MaryEl
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

Re:BFG and BING in Cahoots now??

[Post New]by MaryEl on Aug 25, 14 5:39 AM
I agree. I have been asked to install the latest Direct X driver a number of times and it then tells me I already have the latest version. Very exasperating.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Aug 25, 14 6:03 AM
siscokid wrote:When installing this game, a window popped up that I needed to install the "latest Direct X" driver. Okay, I'll bite.
When downloading that version there were options to click inviting me to install the "Bing Toolbar." Personally, no...I HATE Bing. But that's just me.
I unclicked that option for the Bing Toolbar and after installing the "latest Direct X" software, it told me...never mind, (in a manner of speaking) You already HAVE the latest installation. Really?!? Then why insist that my computer "needed" that installation? Unless, they are in tandem with BF, and are trying to generate god knows what. I don't understand the purpose of the whole situation other than free advertising for Bing? Seriously?

Maybe someone else has the answer to this perplexing question. I simply don't get it. And it's annoying.

I doubt very much has anything to do with it. Otherwise you would see the DirectX install on the games that actively collaborates on, e.g. Eipex, Elephant, etc. This tends to happen on games that sells but has little/nothing to do with creating.

In my opinion, it is more of a cover themselves for the developer
kind of thing. Most gamers do have the latest version of DirectX, but if you are new to gaming or do not have the latest install and your game glitches out, then you will have tech issues. The Bing offer most likely has more to do with who owns the licensing for DirectX and in exchange for the free install you get an ad for Bing that you can say no to.

A similar issue occurs whenever I install my Java updates. I have to tell Java that I do NOT want to install the Ask toolbar. Do I like it? No. Do I wish I did not have to check that box for every update? Of course. But I get my Java updates for free and that make other web applications that I use on a regular basis work so I do it and shrug it off.

I'm sorry this bothers you, but I really do not see this as a conspiracy. Now, MSN/Microsoft? Maybe...

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Aug 25, 14 6:07 AM
Good morning!

I apologize for the redundancy of being asked to install Direct X when you already have the latest version. Direct X is a program from Microsoft, and some of the games we offer require the latest version of Direct X and it's components to be installed and also updated in order for a game to be able to launch and play properly.

Some games come with a bundled installer for Direct X, meaning that the request to check for and install any updates will automatically appear before the game installs, and has to be accepted in order for the game to install and activate successfully.

As for the request to install the Bing Toolbar, Bing is a Microsoft product as well, and thus they want to offer the toolbar as an option for customers when installing Direct X. We're not able to change anything about the option to install the Bing Toolbar in that prompt for Direct X that appears since that's on Microsoft's end, but the good news is that if the box is checked, you can simply un-check it to opt out of installing the Bing toolbar.

I hope that helps!

bfgGlithui

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Aug 25, 14 9:37 AM
siscokid wrote:When installing this game, a window popped up that I needed to install the "latest Direct X" driver. Okay, I'll bite.

I HATE BING TOO! So you're not alone, siscokid. And that's a cool moniker!

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Aug 25, 14 2:32 PM
I also do not want anything to do w/Bing. But I had no trouble installing Direct X WITHOUT the Bing Toolbar. So it was no problem for me!

Go to: