A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 08/27/2014 at 8:31:50 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Insane Cold: Back to the Ice Age here

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 27, 14 2:17 AM
Woohoo, finally something interesting for my PCC. Only has two difficulty modes, but they are both playable without too much frustration.
Cheers

smilestogo
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by smilestogo on Aug 27, 14 4:42 AM
I will take YOUR word for it, DragonLadyOz! With the amount of reviews you have done, I will also use a PCC, thinking that the game will be worth it and then some!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 27, 14 4:56 AM
This is a very nice game. Glad I used a PCC for it.

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Aug 27, 14 5:16 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Insane Cold: Back to the Ice Age here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Insane Cold: Back to the Ice Age .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Aug 27, 14 6:25 AM
This is a soft release with today's game. It is about rescuing your wife from a frozen monster who is going to steal her soul. A little into the game you receive a medallion which you have to fill with 17 souls (frozen bodies that you find along the way).

There is a slider for music and one for sound. There is no voice over, however there are cutscenes which can be skipped.

There is a box for full screen but it seemed to fill my wide screen with no apparent stretching.

The graphics were not too bad but they are on the dark side.
In the HOG scenes the items were not tiny and relatively easy to see. Some were hidden very well but no eyestrain because of size.

There are two modes of play, Casual and Expert. Hint is 30 seconds in Casual an 1 min in Expert. I played the easy mode and there was no click penalty. There is only a tutorial offered in the Casual mode (makes sense).

The HOGs are interactive and I was surprised at how interactive they are. Not all items are listed at first but as you find items, more items appear on the list. The icon will change into a hand when you hover over an item that can be picked up and used but it does not change into a user icon when you hover over the spot where you can use an item. However if you click an item there does appear a helpful message. There seems to be in each HOG scene an area where you can zoom in to find items. So far I only came across the word list HOGs. The text was easy to read as it was white and the interactive items were a darker color. The HOG scenes are replayed but you don't search for the same items again.

There is no map but the hint button outside of the HOGs gave directional clues or if you were in a location that an item can be used it circled the area where an item can be used. There is also a diary/journal but doesn't seem to be all that useful.

It was not a bad game to play and I think well worth the use of a PCC. I plan on purchasing it with one next Monday. As everyone else says, try it for yourselves to see what you think.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 27, 14 6:42 AM
I love this game! The animations and graphics are stunning!!!! And it being an SE...is even more exciting! I love the storyline...it's something kinda new. Most definitely different for a change.

I would buy this with ....but since I have punch cards...I'll be using it on Monday. Although, I don't want to wait till Monday to play it. We haven't seen a SE this good in awhile.

Now, I know I haven't been leaving any negative reviews lately...because...when I play a game I don't like...I just don't write a review on it. I know how hard the Developers work on them...and I don't want to hurt they're feelings. But I am being honest!!!! Now, with this said...if I really don't like a game...I will leave a bad rating. But, I haven't seen anything lately to offend me that much.

I highly recommend this game! Don't walk/crawl/slither or shuffle to buy this game. RUN RUN RUN...to buy it! IMO It should have been released as TGT! Not a Soft Release?

Even though...it might not have all the bells and whistles...one might be looking for in a game...it has a great storyline/animations and beauty. For me this is a winner. And it adds up to all the bells and whistles I need!

Job well done to the Developers! Thanks

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!
‘ ‘
(o)

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 27, 14 2:05 PM
Perfect Punchcard Fodder***

BASED ON DEMO

IN BRIEF

This is a nice little no-bells-and-whistles game. There is a story that you can follow, and nice graphics to look at, and gameplay that is straight forward, but with some nice challenges in the HOP scenes. It is also quite a bit creepy.

The story behind the game is, put simply, a powerful medallion, in the wrong hands, must save the missus and the world. To do this, you must find 17 brave souls from the frozen dead (I’m not sure yet if they’re dead or just frozen).

The game play is predominately HOPs with a few puzzles, none of them hard or original. The HOPs are nice. All are word lists, visited twice, but they involve a fair bit of interaction and are a bit trickier than the average. You have a notebook which helps to clarify exactly why you’re doing stuff – not always immediately obvious. And a hint that indicates directions and active tasks. There are 2 difficulty levels. I played easy, and found it a little over-helpful. Still needed it for the HOPs though!

Negative factors are only two for me: no inventory lock, and repetitious music. There really was only a few bars! Surely there must be some freely available music on the net, stuff that has outlived its copy rights?

Anyway, with music off, this is a perfect sort of game for punchcard credits – there will be someday soon, when it exactly matches your mood, but you wouldn’t want to have spent a lot of money getting it!

I recommend this game!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 27, 14 2:30 PM
Hi all. Wow, an SE for a change. Found this one to be rather fun. Sound FX are very good and very detail oriented. There are no voice overs, but it doesn't seem to need them. There is a lot of dialog to read, but you can skip it (lettering is a little small and color makes it hard to read, so some eye strain). Of course, it doesn't hurt either. Graphics are a bit old school but they fit this game very well. Game play was good, no problems, other than the slight lag between scenes...some longer than others. Inventory bar does not lock, so it constantly jumps up and down, very annoying. Music has a bit of a sinister feel to it. Yes, there is a lot of blue, but this is a "frozen" land, so "it is what it is," if I may quote my son. You do need to find various ways and items to melt the ice in order to obtain items or move to other locations. A bit of creativity here.

No jump map, but items you find are usually used in the same scene, or fairly quickly after you find them. This saves you a lot of running back and forth. Don't get me wrong, there is some. At least you don't store of pages of items before you can use them. HOPS are fairly clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. They are repeated more than once, but with different items to find. Puzzles were quite simple. Nothing new here.

There was nothing extremely challenging in this game and even without voice overs, I did enjoy it. Story line is a little different, but easy to follow. This is one of those lazy day games that doesn't tax your brain, but one that you can enjoy. I think this will appeal to most players of any level. Yes, I am going to add this one to my every growing collection of games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Aug 27, 14 10:01 PM
For some reason, I wasn't overly impressed with this game. The plot moved a bit slowly and there was a lag between scenes. The list of interactive items in the HOGs were in a color and font style that was difficult for me to read. I also found that I needed to click on something in just the right spot in order to pick it up or place an inventory item.
I have a few minutes left on the demo, so I may try and finish it later to see if it is worth my PCC.

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Aug 28, 14 7:42 PM
I am Luvin this Game

Did we maybe Beta-Test it some time ago?
(parts seem slightly familiar)
Y'all gotta give it a Test Drive...
or better yet, do like me...
close your eyes, hold your nose, and just jump in,
I promise you won't be sorry
WTG, Devs & BFG
the kat
=^,,^=

bevaa72
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by bevaa72 on Aug 29, 14 6:39 AM
This game is one of few games I wish I didn't buy. There is no map to jump. The developer needs someone who can help him with English. Tired of using hints too often. The ending of the game needs to be fixed. The hints gave us wrong directions. I don't recommend this game unless they fix the problems.

[Post New]by sweet4grease on Aug 31, 14 3:53 AM
Nice little game, I'll use a punch card on it to get it more or less free. I don't know that I'd buy it otherwise. The transition between scenes takes forever and that's annoying. Also the cut scenes, and they're everywhere are slow and time consuming. At least you can skip them, although I didn't skip them all, just watched a few to keep up with the story line and make sure I didn't miss anything important.

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Aug 31, 14 3:01 PM
A very good game as far as I can tell from the demo! I really like playing a game with icy scenes since I live in the deep south where cold weather is rare. It's quite refreshing to me. Rescuing souls is nice, too. I hope they will come back to life at the end of the game, so I will purchase to find out for myself.

I find that the cut scenes are necessary and short. It is fairly easy to figure out what you need to do; thank goodness for a logical game for my older mind.

There seems to be a lot of HO's which I am not fond of; but in order to get the needed items to complete a task, they are necessary. At least these are interactive and the list is not too long. Some of the objects are well hidden so you have to hunt with a keen eye.

Rather than completely trust reviews, try it for yourself. You never know what might appeal to you today!

Edited on 08/31/2014 at 3:03:15 PM PST

A1mom
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by A1mom on Sep 3, 14 12:28 PM
This game is a little gem. Just what I needed today. Wish there were more like it

tessniki
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by tessniki on Sep 6, 14 10:35 AM
This has been a nice little game. One of it's faults though is when you pick something up out of inventory to use in a scene it takes a million tries to get it to "click in". Really maddening and now, I am stuck on the the Fuse Box scene in the Diver's Helmet...it simply will not "take" the TUBE I am trying to place.

I have muted the music also....too dark and depressing.

It has moved along at a nice pace and I do use the HINT quite often.

[Post New]by hellhasnofury on Sep 9, 14 1:37 AM
I am stuck in the scene where you have to find a guitar ... the hint send me back to the game ... any help please ? (no walkthrough) ... thank you

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 13, 14 6:43 PM
Well, this has to be one of the worst games I've tried in 2014!! Don't know about the problem with English translation (which I have experienced before), cuz I never got that far. I tried two (2) different profiles and both times the "Hint" never worked, and one of the first HOS, I tried and tried to find a "wheel chair wheel" which by the way, I found (!!), and clicking on the hint button did NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! Fix the game and I will play. (reference to "Field of Dreams" an American movie with Kevin Kostner - Build the land and they will come, or something like that!! Anyhoo, think I will spend my Saturday nite watching an old movie!! Safe weekend everyone!!

feenix

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Insane Cold: Back to the Ice Age here

[Post New]by roaming on Sep 17, 14 1:03 AM
I don't understand all the positive and/or semi-positive reviews of this game.

It is one of the slowest moving games I've ever demoed. The cut scenes are in slooow motion, possibly an attempt to create an eerie atmosphere, or maybe simply because the devs thought ice giants should move verrry slowly. However, you can skip the cut scenes if you lose patience, which I did. Also, the screen goes dark while transitioning between locations, and these, too, take an overly long time.

The dialogue is stilted and unnatural. There is no voiceover.

There seems to be no logical rationale for solutions to tasks, for example, your character says, "If I had a spear, I could open this door." Really? A spear? Wouldn't a crowbar work even better? And you are constantly having to find various ways to melt ice! Lots and lots of ice.

Unfortunately, an interesting story line was ruined by the plodding action. I wouldn't waste a PCC on this game, and it definitely wouldn't be worth the price.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Oct 26, 14 9:42 PM
finished the game. It was okay but didn't know what I was doing most of the time, had to use the hint button a lot.

Go to: