catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Blackrow's Secret here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Aug 28, 14 1:30 AM
A thread for your reviews!
(PP is not gone, she's on holiday!)

Edited on 08/28/2014 at 8:14:23 AM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Blackrow's Secret here!

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Aug 28, 14 7:08 AM
Even though the graphics are a bit on the dark side at least they have a slider for gamma correction in the options. That certainly helps.

Not a bad game but again my standard complaint is no HOG solutions in the SG. Come on devs please put the solutions back in the SGs just like you used to do. I find it very annoying that you don't.

There are 4 modes of play but no custom choice. I usually play in Casual unless there is a Custom mode. I may have played this type of game for a long time but I need the sparkles to help me remember where the action is, so to speak, when I revisit a location. It takes me days to complete a game and by the time I go back to it my CRS really kicks in. I tend to wander all over the place looking in vain as to where to use that screwdriver or place that base relief piece.

The puzzles seem to range from easy to hard but thankfully there are solutions in case you get stuck (which I do on the harder ones).

Looks like there is much to discover and explore which I really like in a game. The cut scenes do not seem to be too long either. I don't mind a few here and there but if a game is really peppered with them and they are long to boot then I find it too distracting to the game play.

Not much in the way of extras and I didn't notice any achievements unless I wasn't paying attention. I know there are collectibles and something in the extras for that. If there aren't the usual ones like solve X of HOG with no clues, "Save the XXX" etc. then my feelings are not hurt at all. I get tired of "useless" achievements. I don't mind a counter or something extra for finding all the collectibles but those other achievements can go bye-bye (IMHO) OK I was mistaken. There is an achievement board in the Extra section. Guess I glossed over that the first time I was looking. I wonder if it will be there when it comes out as a SE?

There is a map which is very useful. It shows current objectives and can be used to jump.

There is no diary/journal. I don't mind that but if there are clues, like a time to be set on a clock or a number for a safe then I wish they would use a journal to record it in. I find it annoying and frustrating to keep that information in a location where it never disappears.

I would love to be able to get this as a CE but with my financial situation the way it is now it may be a very long time before I am able to-sigh.

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Aug 28, 14 8:13 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Trackers: Blackrow's Secret Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Trackers: Blackrow's Secret Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:18:31 AM PST

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 28, 14 8:46 AM
The Lag!

The graphics are clear but done in a palette that is so limited and dark the game looked monotonous and dreary. No amount of gamma correction could make it less so for me. The voice overs and atmospheric effects were very well done. The music is unobtrusive and fit the theme of the story. I had to immediately ditch the custom cursor because it was had such bad lag.

The story is very typical. Starlet receives threats and hires you, a detective, to help her out. The two of you have a car crash nearby a creepy mansion in an area with a grim history. Shortly after that she is kidnapped and you must save her while uncovering the mystery of the place. The story unfolds mostly through cut scenes and there are so many that it felt like too many to me. This was especially so because they played in an unevenly paced slow motion. They were almost jerky at times.

You get a cute little dog who is occasionally helpful getting things from tight spots. I didn't mind the dog but whenever he is used the pop up showing him was as slow as the cut scenes.

There were three HOS during the whole demo. They were all poorly lit. They were strict list finds except for 2-3 interactive items on each list. The interactions were somewhat laggy. There was a mislabeled item on my list in one HOS and another asked for a brooch but would only accept one of the four present in the scene as the correct one. Other than that the HOS were very easy. There were more puzzles than HOS and they were fun. They ranged from extremely easy to kinda tough.

The adventure component has a lot of built in running back and forth. I was still running almost back to the beginning areas to use items I just found at the last area of the demo. Objectives are clear but the tasks needed to perform them were sometimes obscure. This was due to the contrived nature of some of the things you need to do or find. I had to guess what to do instead of being able to figure it out logically. Some of the inventory items require assembly and this sometimes involves clicking an extraordinarily precise point on the screen. There is no visual cue that helps you find it. The result is some aggravating clicking until you stumble on it. At one point I had to exit the game and restart in order to get one item to actually function properly.

This is a disappointing game to play. It could have been good but, between the lag and the fussiness, I just couldn't become immersed in this game.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Aug 28, 14 9:20 AM
Right off I'm let you know that I haven't liked a Mystery Tracker game since Raincliff. So, why do I demo a game I probably won't like? Because maybe, just maybe, it will be more like Raincliff than the newer games. Of course, it wasn't. It was the same old thing... again. See Mystery Trackers didn't used to have agents with super-special magical abilities and gizmos. Mystery Trackers didn't used to have a helper chihuahua. What did they do to Elf? Was it just me, or did he look strangely ugly in this game?

I will say, the HOS I saw were junky, but they wrote that junk into the story. Hmmm... there's an excuse for all the HOS to be junk piles! A car wreck. An abandoned city. The HOS were typical, lists with some interactive items. Puzzles were interesting, and took a bit longer to solve than the usual suspects.

I did not appreciate the snarky comments when I would try to do something, but didn't have the right inventory items to do it correctly. "Using your hands is so last century," just put me off.

Collectibles include 26 stained glass jigsaw puzzle pieces. Not sure if anything happens once it's complete, but the pieces are large and the puzzle easy.

All in all, another Mystery Trackers that I won't be buying, but there should be a fans of the series that will love it, if only for Elf. I'll still demo the next one though, ever hopeful for another like Raincliff.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Aug 28, 14 10:49 AM
B O R I N G

BFG has not come up with an enjoyable/playable game in weeks & todays game keeps the trend going.

Some old storyline that has been played to death.

Hideous muddy BLUE old school graphics. Someone please get the elephant a new box of crayons & hide the blue one!!

Puzzles are nothing new or exciting.

HOS interactive & the pieces are easy to identify.

Music is more along the ambient sounds line & non-intrusive.

Some inventory pieces require them to be put together with other inventory pieces. I never did get the lock put together to open the door. Followed the SG to no avail & the hint button pointed at the middle of lock but didn't show what needed to be added. At this point, bored & frustrated I quit with 53 min left on the clock.

I don't recommend this game.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Aug 28, 14 10:50 AM
B O R I N G

BFG has not come up with an enjoyable/playable game in weeks & todays game keeps the trend going.

Hideous muddy BLUE old school graphics. Someone please get the elephant a new box of crayons & hide the blue one!!

Some inventory pieces require them to be put together with other inventory pieces. I never did get the lock put together to open the door. Followed the SG to no avail & the hint button pointed at the middle of lock but didn't show what needed to be added. At this point, bored & frustrated I quit with 53 min left on the clock.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 28, 14 11:33 AM
Based on up to the lock problem:

I love Mystery Trackers games. I have all of them in CE. So I bought this game immediately without playing the demo.

That was a mistake for several reasons:

1. There is a major glitch with the lock. I could not get it to close.
2. There is a problem with lag and jerkiness.
3. The SG printing and pictures are too small.

I recommend that anyone interested in this game play the demo and access the tech issues thread. I am not the only one with #1 and #2.

The jerkiness is so bad that I had to stop playing. I managed to fix #1 by deleting my profile and starting over. I have contacted tech support about #2 but I doubt it can or will be fixed.

How can I play this game? I have tried several times and it is just too jerky. I do not have this problem with any other game. It is jerky to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. I have the feeling that I am a bit sensitive to this so maybe others will not find this to be a major problem although I did read some posts that noted it in the tech issues thread.

Maybe I can play it for a few minutes at a time and on anti-nausea medication, which I do have. I don't think I can stand not playing this game because I love this series so much and I have been quite disappointed in what BF has been offering lately. Duds - one and all.

As to the story line? I think it's great. At least it starts off great. I love Elf. My border collie loves Elf. Elf is not a cutesy animal helper - I've had quite enough of that, thank you. Elf is a tiny Chihuahua that was rescued in a previous game. He is not cutesy and he cannot do anything that a tiny Chihuahua cannot do.

The silly puns are back and I love them, too. I love the comments made by the detective (me).

I love the game play, at least as far as I could get - which is not very far at all.

Right now Mystery Trackers and Mystery Case Files are my favorite games, probably because of the personality of the detectives, the originality, the high quality (current game an exception ), and the length (length of current game unknown ).

I still recommend this game - IF you can get past the lock issue. From what I have read, some fishies cannot. I can. It seems to be a particular problem with Windows 7.

Elephant games? How could you do this to me? You're one of the best game developers there are! Why the jerkiness? How did a major glitch so close to the beginning of the game get past you? Why wasn't it caught?

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 28, 14 11:36 AM
nontechiegrannie wrote:

I had the same problem and so have others. Evidently BF has notified the devs for a fix.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Aug 28, 14 11:58 AM
nontechiegrannie wrote:B O R I N G

Agreed. I'm still waiting for a game I want to buy and I had high hopes for this one but not today.

[Post New]by Anthropologist on Aug 28, 14 12:15 PM
I was really looking forward to this. I did the beta, im not into the fairytale tupe games we get a lot of (I know that a lot of you are just are, its just me). Well what can I say, here is my reviewv -

Gameplay - ?
Graphics - ?
Sound - ?
Bonus Content - ?

Why? Well, I only played the first 20 mins or so. Ive got the same problem with the lock assembly.

I give up

[Post New]by Anthropologist on Aug 28, 14 1:33 PM
Finally got it to work by logging on with an exisitng profile!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 28, 14 2:19 PM
ANOTHER ENTRY IN THE CONTINUING PLAGUE OF MEDIOCRE SERIAL "NONKILLER" GAMES.

THIS "IMMORTAL" SERIES SHOULD END AND BE QUARANTINED INTO THE BF VAULT FOREVER!

Continuing the seemingly "immortal" Mystery Tracker saga, we have another entry by the Pachyderm. We are again "plagued" by the reappearance of the annoying HELPER - the ankle-biter Elf. Looking like a large rat, I first thought he was vermin from the Plague. I have never liked this series and do not own any of these games. However, there are some elements of this game which will "plague" almost everyone.

You are a detective trying to uncover what happened to Norma Shine, a leading actress. She is kidnapped by a mysterious stranger and taken into the dark recesses of Blackrow Manor, which was quarantined years earlier due to the Bubonic Plague. As you roam through the estate searching for Ms. Shine, you encounter the image of a woman who seems bent on revenge. She is somehow tied to this disappearance. You also encounter evidence that someone from this estate was involved in "alchemy," the occult, and research into experiments on immortality.

This game is more of an adventure game. First, there are four levels of play but no CUSTOMIZED VERSION. Please explain to me, Pachyderm, how the Formal and Black Tie levels differ? They are the same! I still do not understand why it is difficult for you to provide CUSTOMIZATION of your games. Second, there is at least one "bug" in the game which occurs at the beginning in the "lock puzzle." I needed to restart the game in order to proceed. The dev and BF should "test" their games, especially the CE's before selling them to the public. The HOP sequences are interactive but so similar that they became boring. The only element I did like about the game were the puzzles. The dev did provide some unique puzzles in the game. You collect glass pieces. The graphics are nicely done as is usual for Pachyderm.

Finishing the two CE's from the GamERS , I actually have nothing to play. I used to purchase EVERY CE on this site. At times, I could hardly finish one game before another one came out. I have recently beta tested some games - so I know - BF is sitting on some amazing games . I would have probably purchased this game IF IT WERE NOT FOR THE IRRITATING HELPER! I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Unlike Norma Shine - this game is not a SHINING STAR! I RATE THIS GAME 2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS FOR A CE.

Edited on 08/28/2014 at 4:19:45 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Aug 28, 14 4:30 PM

Blackrow or Black Crow? ** updated **

The story here, about someone threatening the life of a young actress and you are the detective "protecting" her, leaves you wondering, "Is that all they could come up with?" This is Mystery Trackers, after all. The last MT had invisible phantoms.

Instead it's:
Another game that begins with a car crash after seeing a ghost.
Another game where a woman is taken by a mysterious "other."
Another game set in a dilapidated town, this time with the added element of - wait for it - a plague.

Well, that's something kind of new-ish anyway.

I did not have any noticeable jerkiness or lag. I played the demo up until the lock "puzzle" failed to close. I did not consider it worth my time to go back and play again with a new profile to move forward. **

Why? This game just had no "hook," that is, something to hold my interest. Sure, the artwork is beautiful. Trouble is, we are spoiled. Just about every new game from all the leading developers is high quality from a technical perspective - artwork, cut scenes, sounds, music, hidden objects, and puzzles are all good - though the latter are fairly easy.

Instead, this game brings to mind a commercial seen on television where someone says, "I'm all out of ideas." That seems to be the thinking behind the game.

Having said that, if you are new to these games or have not played too many, you could still enjoy this if there are no technical issues for you.

Cautious recommend for beginners, all others leave it for the crows.

**Update: I restarted the game and the lock closed after I clicked around several places so I was able to move on. The game did get slightly better. This is a puzzle heavy game, but there are a number of standard HOS. The puzzles are unique in appearance, but still fairly simple to solve. The story also contains elements of alchemy and a search for immortality - which most players have seen before. So I'll stick with my original conclusion. A little bit of a disappointment because of prior MT games .

Edited on 08/29/2014 at 7:37:30 AM PST

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Aug 28, 14 6:44 PM
Unlike everyone else so far, I actually enjoyed this game (based on the demo). I prefer more puzzles to HOS, and the ones I've found so far were fairly easy. I hope they get more challenging as the game progresses. I had no problems with the lock, or jerkiness of the game. Graphics were pretty good. My only gripe (as previously mentioned by another fishy) is that the HOS aren't in the strategy guide, especially when you're looking for something where the picture doesn't quite match what you are trying to find!

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Aug 28, 14 8:41 PM
This is the second game in a week that I was so excited to see and then so disappointed after playing the demo. I have all the other mystery trackers and even though the last one was my least liked one I still liked it. I played the whole demo of this and I didn't like it. Except for the dog Elf, it didn't feel like a mystery tracker game. Maybe it's just me but I felt it just didn't tie in with the others in the series.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Aug 28, 14 9:13 PM
I should have posted enough to make it to a cuz I'm swimming upstream on this one.

I actually enjoyed the demo and plan to add it to my collection.

Even though I'm going to buy it, I certainly agree with some of the negatives other reviewers mentioned. Some parts of the game are just too dark! And I agree that adjusting my computer's settings for just this game is not something I'm willing to do. Also the game is somewhat click-snickety and it does get frustrating when I'm clicking on the correct item but not on the precise ittybitty spot the devs intended me to click.

I did enjoy the storyline and artwork, just wish some of it hadn't been so dark! I appreciate the nice little puzzles different than those we usually see.

No technical glitches and even sailed right through the infamous broken lock so many others have posted about. Whew! Must have gotten lucky to have clicked just the precise location to close it on my first try.

Waiting to buy til I see what the sale will be for this Labor Day weekend.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Aug 28, 14 9:25 PM
I also liked Raincliff the best, and compare all the others to that one. Liked Elf too, and he was the only thing I liked about the rest of the games in this series. Think I bought the first three and then stopped. This one sounded interesting and I did dl the demo, so will give it a try, but I miss the intrigue that made the first one the best to me.

Bluecassie37
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by Bluecassie37 on Aug 29, 14 9:21 AM
Unlike many others I liked this game despite the rather patchy story. Some spoilage!

You are protecting an actress who has received threats (why is she getting threats? Surely it'd be easier to get someone who isn't expecting it?). Anyway, you are driving her home and a diversion sends you past the Forbidden District, still under quarantine from a plague.
The dress is Victorian, buildings Victorian or later but the plague doctors have Medieval 'bird' masks and one character is an alchemist. Don't ask.
Anyway, a ghost makes your car crash. Then a mysterious figure lamps off with the actress. So, off you go to sort it out.

The game ran well on my laptop, with none of the glitches others have mentioned. You have to combine some objects and you have to continually find batteries for a MT gizmo that allows you to see back story and collect flasks. Elf is still with you. Most items are used quite quickly and there is not too much back-and-forward in the game.

Spoiler
The story revolves about one family. Father died pre-plague and was an alchemist working on the elixir of life. Wife uses his research and magic to set up traps that allow her, a servant and her daughters to possess living humans in this present.
I liked the bitchy twin daughter ghosts fighting over who gets to be the actress.

It didn't explain why Mum didn't try and resurrect her dead husband, but took you through various spooky looking locations. I played on the second setting and it took about 6 hours to complete the main story - but I don't rush.

I didn't think the bonus game was up to much. So can recommend this as a SE game.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

I Thought This as a Good Play!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Aug 29, 14 1:47 PM
I am always fond of Mystery Trackers. I love Elf. Good work.

Go to: