bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Death and Betrayal in Romania: A Dana Knightstone Novel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 30, 14 12:29 AM
Tragedy strikes Dana Knightstone, the best-selling novelist with a gift for clairvoyance. Step into the shoes of Dana while traveling to a book signing event in Romania. Find yourself suddenly trapped by an avalanche in the cold mountain alps where you are stranded in an old castle.

Discover hidden passageways within the old castle walls to free yourself from the grasp of the ghost of the castle that seeks to imprison you. Find clues buried under the dusty dungeon floor and uncover the captivating story of love and betrayal.

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won’t find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Re:Death and Betrayal in Romania: A Dana Knightstone Novel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Aug 30, 14 2:32 AM
Just curious as to the series order. Thanks!

[Post New]by moonfish1956 on Aug 30, 14 2:54 AM
The series order is as follows:

1. Death at Fairing Point (2011)
2. Death Under Tuscan Skies (2011)
3. Death Upon an Austrian Sonata (2012)
4. Death at Cape Porto (2013)

Hope this helps

troischats
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by troischats on Aug 30, 14 3:39 AM
Maybe it's just because it was the first game, and the first one I ever played in the series, but Death at Fairing Point is still my favourite. I replayed it for the 3rd time just recently!

I'm downloading the new one right now, and will be interested to see if it's still got the same charm. From the screenshot I seem to see a ghostly dog - have the devs succumbed to the trend of animal "helpers"?

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 30, 14 4:36 AM
I'm downloading right now to demo. Had I not done a beta, I'd probably buy it without trying, but I couldn't see the SG in the Beta, and I made a note that the game was a bit "buggy." I'm hoping for the best, because I love this series, although the first one will always be my favorite. The graphics and music remain the same - lovely and soft. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Aug 30, 14 5:42 AM
I haven't even finished the last one and now this one is out! For some reason I lost interest in the Cape Porto one about half-way through. I agree with the others; the first one is my favorite and the last couple I have waited for the SE. Guess I'd better get back to Cape Porto and finish it before I embark on the next adventure. This one will also probably be SE unless the extras have improved.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Aug 30, 14 7:23 AM
I've not looked at this one yet, but speaking of the previous ones, the Dana Knightstone games have, for me, always been relaxing, sentimental and beautiful scenic journeys to other countries.

I enjoy the games because they aren't overly complicated and I can focus on the love story/mystery aspect of them while enjoying the soft music and scenery.

They always make me feel like I'm spending a dreary, cold, rainy afternoon in front of the fireplace with a nice cup of tea, afghan on my lap and the cat asleep at my feet (as opposed to real life with two toddlers scampering around and the cat shrieking 'cause they are pulling it's tail )

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Aug 30, 14 8:37 AM
I love the first two games of the series. Did not care for the 3rd one and I am definitely not buying this one. I beta tested the game also and games are becoming way too easy and another animal helper?? Really?? Never had one before, so why now?? Such a disappointment in the way series are being ruined in the past two years. I rarely purchase a game anymore, because of this.

The good news for me is that there are a handful of games that I have beta tested that I am really interested in purchasing! One of them is Entwined 2. They have kept it challenging without adding a helper! And I love a good mystery!

But to those who enjoy the game, Happy gaming!

Edited on 08/30/2014 at 9:38:46 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 30, 14 9:51 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:

There may be a nice sale this weekend, but there isn't one game I want.

Same here; really disappointing choice of CE's this week

I only need one punch to fill a card; just have to hope tomorrow's SE isn't one I already have the CE of, otherwise I'll lose the 5 punches I have

Edited on 08/30/2014 at 9:54:10 AM PST

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Aug 30, 14 10:24 AM
I was looking forward to playing this one , snow scenes and I'm hooked . Unfortunately it did'nt tick all the boxes for me . As a CE I expected more extras as in collectables and morphing ,. As soon as I as I saw it I thought I could fill my PC but not to be . ( The snow did'nt last long enough either ) More wasted punches again this month

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 30, 14 12:24 PM
angelfish106 wrote:
twinsoniclab wrote:

There may be a nice sale this weekend, but there isn't one game I want.

Same here; really disappointing choice of CE's this week

I only need one punch to fill a card; just have to hope tomorrow's SE isn't one I already have the CE of, otherwise I'll lose the 5 punches I have

I also have 5 punches, and rather than lose
them, I will buy either tomorrow's Daily Deal or the Catch of the
Week. Spend the $2.99 to get a coupon worth $6.99; still a bargain

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Aug 30, 14 12:34 PM
I was not impressed with this game. I found the puzzles to be either really simple or really tedious, nothing that required too much thinking to solve. The storyline was a bit farfetched, and changing the helper to one that is not of this world did not make me wish to have it.

I have a game credit and a PCC, but I guess that I will wait until next month to use them.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 30, 14 3:52 PM
CBTX WROTE:

]I agree with didersham andtwinsoniclab ---- the easiness (dumbing down) and animal helper concept have contributed to the downfall of the one-time excellent Dana Knightstone games,
It's very sad to see such previously polished, well thought out, and enjoyable adult style games ruined by these elements that are seriously so unnecessary. The animal helpers are childlike (really out of place considering the theme of the game), and the game's simplicity is "simply" beyond understanding.
Worst of the series. No buy here.
For those that buy, I hope you enjoy.

I agree with you. Something "dastardly" has happened with our beloved BF site. I used to LOVE this site - now dealing with it is annoying and the games have become boring! They do not seem to care about their customers. For seven years mom and I have purchased games on this site. We purchased almost every CE that came out - which was expensive - but boy! the games were fabulous. What has happened? Staff change? - well if it is, BF - you have the WRONG person in charge.

Customer service is nonexistent. Some of their service reps are clueless and others are just plain RUDE! I recently had issues using Pay Pal and ended up with bogus charges to my bank account. I was frozen out of my account for a short while as well. Their response - no big deal! Well - BF - it is a "big fish" deal to me. If you don't take of your customers - soon you will have NO CUSTOMERS.

The only reason I care is that gaming is my hobby. If BF goes out of business, then there will be few sites from which to purchase this type of game. Many gaming companies have already gone out of business. My favorite was bought out by a German company about a year ago. The only other one that is decent is "Water Vapor." Their customer service is actually worse than BF - however, BF is quickly catching up to them.

It is so sad to see what has happened to this game site. The great reviewers are gone and are not coming back. I see that the people reviewing the forums is getting less and less. Hopefully, BF will do a reassessment and we will see a "rebirth" of this site.

Edited on 08/30/2014 at 3:57:11 PM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 30, 14 4:27 PM
I'm so disappointed in this game. I only played the demo long enough to see that it had a fairly decent SG (did NOT realize it wouldn't stay open to the correct place!) and that it didn't have the bugs that the beta did. Yes, pretty graphics, nice snow, soft music... and either mind-numbingly simply puzzles or puzzles so tedious that I skipped out of sheer boredom. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and don't know if I will actually finish the game. This series has gone way downhill from the lovely first game. I'm pretty sure that even if another one comes out, I will avoid it. This was not a good purchase.

Edit to say I finished the game and the total waste of time (very short, short) bonus. I found it buggy, boring, illogical, and sometimes extremely difficult to see dark pieces against dark backgrounds. The "find the differences" in the car in the bonus game was ridiculous. I'm sorry I wasted my money on this and would certainly say that if anyone wondered about CE vs SE, I'd say forget the whole thing, but if you must, don't waste your money on the CE.

Edited on 08/31/2014 at 11:37:31 AM PST

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Aug 30, 14 5:35 PM
I have the rest of the Dana Knightstone games and agree that they have steadily gone downhill. I am so underwhelmed by this one that I didn't even finish the bonus.

I get the feeling that all the developers are so into their quickie little F2P games that this side of the industry is suffering. I have an I-Pad and a couple of F2P games loaded that I've played a couple of times and they simply do not interest me. When you look at the Face Book sites for various developers that is all they can talk about.

This has been something of a disappointing week as far as CE's. Bought both of them and played through but, will probably never replay. That was the beauty of past years, we were getting the best and could play the games over and over and not get bored. No longer can that be said and I now find myself playing more TM than anything else.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 30, 14 8:15 PM
I get the feeling that all the developers are so into their quickie little F2P games that this side of the industry is suffering. I have an I-Pad and a couple of F2P games loaded that I've played a couple of times and they simply do not interest me. When you look at the Face Book sites for various developers that is all they can talk about.

Thanks Penny. I, for one, will be gone if this site dedicates itself to PFF games. They do not interest me either. For multiple reasons I do not want exposure of any kind so - I do not have a Facebook account. I do not want "friends" from this game site. As you can probably tell - I have been "burned" with the free flow of information nowadays which included police involvement. And that is all I wish to say about it!

Folks - You are terribly "exposed" with Facebook. Some people do not realize that with you can app a face recognition program and get all kinds of information you may not want people to know about you. If you are single, they can get your name AND ADDRESS! Think about having a "creepster" knowing where you live. Suffice it to say, I try to keep multiple layers of protection from the encroachment of my privacy, many times using my parents as buffers.

I think you are correct. Having time today before my two days of "fun and sun" begins, I have searched this site and see that they are monitoring those sites more closely. It does seem that is where many who frequent this site are switching to those games.

My warning is - just be careful! You never know who is lurking behind some of these game sites. Hackers abound and so do unscrupulous people!

Edited on 08/30/2014 at 8:16:03 PM PST

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Aug 31, 14 1:03 AM
I came on to read the reviews but found many are saying what I've been thinking.
I wasn't sure if it was just me getting jaded (I've been playing these games since they were humble hidden object games) or if the quality of games is going down.
Then I think of games like Drawn or Dream Chronicles, the early Otherworlds, and Nightmare Realm for example. These games are all over 2 years old (or so) and it feels like we are going backward not forward with innovation and creativity.

I'm starting to think I will have to look at different genres for a gaming fix!

And I agree with other posters re FTP. If there was ever a misnomer it's FREE to play!

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 31, 14 8:11 AM
katejoe999 wrote:I came on to read the reviews but found many are saying what I've been thinking.
I wasn't sure if it was just me getting jaded (I've been playing these games since they were humble hidden object games) or if the quality of games is going down.
Then I think of games like Drawn or Dream Chronicles, the early Otherworlds, and Nightmare Realm for example. These games are all over 2 years old (or so) and it feels like we are going backward not forward with innovation and creativity.

I'm starting to think I will have to look at different genres for a gaming fix!

And I agree with other posters re FTP. If there was ever a misnomer it's FREE to play!
I don't think it's just you becoming jaded. I've only been playing this kind of game since last April and even I notice that the older games just seem to have more creativity and uniqueness to them. So many of the recent ones all seem the same to me. Yes they have lovely graphics, yes they have cut scenes that play like a mini-movie, yes they have high quality soundtracks but they lack soul. It's like the developer is just going through the motions in a very formulaic way so the games turn out just like every other game that has recently come out.

I know before I even start playing a game what the tasks will be: feed an animal to coax an inventory item away from him, clip overgrown greenery of some kind, wipe dust with a special cloth, find 15 oddly shaped keys even though there's no good reason in the story for whatever it is to have an oddly shaped lock, put some type of gem onto a statue so it releases whatever inventory item it's clutching, and so on. All of this will be accompanied by a barely there storyline that lacks any charm or logic, mind-numbingly simple puzzles, and one or two HOS that I can blow through in 10 seconds.

All these games run together because they are all made to the same formula. I keep hoping for another game like Dire Grove or Angelica Weaver but to find ones like that I have to download older games. I even prefer the ancient HOPs to most new ones and I've bought several to get my game fix. I keep trialing games though waiting for a good one. I won't buy one unless it's good.

Go to: