MSJMOM
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

Wrong key

[Post New]by MSJMOM on Aug 31, 14 8:33 AM
I'm trying this game, kind of like it and for $2.99 think it's a good deal.

Anyway, I am trying to open the attic lock, however I picked up the wrong key by accident. But the game won't let me put it back and get the correct key...now I don't have access to the place where the keys are kept at all! What do I do?

I hope somebody sees this, since this is an older game!

Edited on 08/31/2014 at 8:33:57 AM PST

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

Re:Wrong key

[Post New]by burf90 on Aug 31, 14 9:38 AM
You can reach the attic door, right? If you haven't found something to stand on, then do that first and try the key again.

If you really do have the wrong key, then try doing some other things in the games, then go back and try to get into the key box again. If that doesn't work then back out of the scene with the key box, quit the game, restart your computer, then load the game and try to open the box again.

As a last resort, you may have to try uninstalling and reinstalling. I'd start a new character, too, if I were you. I don't think the attic lock was too far into the game, IIRC, so you can skip all the dialog this time and get back to where you are now pretty quickly.

MSJMOM
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by MSJMOM on Aug 31, 14 2:44 PM
Thanks....I'll try the things you said. Yes, I have the chair there and can see the lock with the key shape, but I accidentally picked up the wrong one. I did play on a bit thinking that maybe that would allow me to switch it out but no.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Aug 31, 14 7:29 PM
Just a silly thought... You did actually try to use the key and have the game tell you that it doesn't fit, right? Or did you just realize immediately that you picked up the wrong one and never even tried it? It might just be that you have know you *need* to get back into the key box before the game will let you do so.

MSJMOM
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by MSJMOM on Sep 1, 14 5:58 AM
burf90 wrote:Just a silly thought... You did actually try to use the key and have the game tell you that it doesn't fit, right? Or did you just realize immediately that you picked up the wrong one and never even tried it? It might just be that you have know you *need* to get back into the key box before the game will let you do so.

Yes, I went to the attic lock and tried to use the key, but it just shot back into my inventory. I then went back to the key box to try to exchange it, but like I said earlier the box was no longer available to even view.

I quit the game and went back in and still could not access the key box, so I just changed my profile and started fresh...since I wasn't that far into the game it only took a short time to get past that part. This time I was careful to select the correct key

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Sep 1, 14 9:44 AM
Glad you're on your way again.

Go to: