LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Why I stopped playing Midnight Castle

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 31, 14 5:47 PM
This is feedback to the game developers as to why a paying customer stopped playing this game.

I took a break from playing on August 20th because I was bored with the repetitive HOS in the game. I suppose some people enjoy playing the HOS hundreds of times and this game is right for them. I was ok with it for maybe the first 500 or 600 hundred times then it became a chore. I don’t mind a challenge. I played the Bow Figurine 12 times the old way, but mind numbing boredom is not fun in a game.

The first few days of my break I felt like I had been let out of prison. I began to stop worrying about the monotonous rounds of HOS. I began to have fun doing other things. I still read the forums but that often made me sad because I could feel the pain of other players struggling with the cost of the new areas and the crafted items.

When I read about the “correction” of the cost to sell the items from the Bow Figurine, Six Paws and the other zoom zones, that is when I had to face that I would not go back to the game. Those areas were the only way I could get enough coins to play without playing the numerous rounds of HOS (and be bored to death and having my hand hurt.) Believe me I have been playing long enough to know how to craft & sell items but that often uses up the stamps and is not a long term solution. I just don’t want to play rounds and rounds of the same HOS over and over.

During the old Bow Figurine days I never ran out of coins. The game was structured so that you would accumulate enough coins doing the quests. The last few updates to the game have required around 250,000 or more coins to progress through the levels in the new content added. That is too much.

I enjoyed the gifting and trading back when I had inventory. The July new content cut my inventory to nothing so I had to shut down my wish list, because I could not gift back. So that took away part of the social aspect of the game. I still gave gifts from my secondary game but in my main game I was too inventory poor.

I enjoyed the forum. I had fun writing stories and creating a few pictures and posting help and game statistics when I could.

continued ...

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Why I stopped playing Midnight Castle

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 31, 14 5:48 PM
I enjoyed playing this game early on and I spend real money to buy diamonds when each new update was released. I am an actual paying customer and I don’t mind paying for my entertainment. If other players don’t spend money, that is ok too. But I am someone who spent money and would have continued to spend money if the game had remained balanced and reasonable. I don’t begrudge the money I have spent because I enjoyed the experience until recently. This is the main reason for my post. I feel if the game continues like it is that more paying players will leave.

In order to help me get through my initial withdrawals from this game I found a new hobby. I have always been a crafter so I found a new craft to occupy my mind and hands for the past few days. I spent about $130 on craft supplies to get me started with this fun craft. I could have spent that money on Midnight Castle but that would have been money spent because of frustration and boredom and I would have felt resentment toward BFG because of that. Ultimately that would not have gained me much in the game. Whereas the new hobby items I am making are being given away to neighborhood children and that makes me and them happy.

I have read comments from players that have played other FTP games here on Big Fish. They seem to be based on the same premise: to hook you early and then make the game so difficult (or boring) that you will want to spend money to move along in the game. After my experience with this game, I will not play any more FTP games.

I hope the players who continue to play have tons of fun. Remember “It’s only a game” and games should be FUN.

Happy gaming!
LizzieK

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Aug 31, 14 6:16 PM
There is nothing more to say. I have also been a paying customer, but I don't know how much longer I will be interested in playing. I should have known that something was wrong when I started spending more time in the forum than on the game itself. I am playing another FTP game which is showing signs of going the same direction, prices up and returns down. I may just give up on the both of them and go back to my regular downloadable games, which will cost me less and be considerably less frustrating.

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Aug 31, 14 6:51 PM
rosiebvt wrote:There is nothing more to say. I have also been a paying customer, but I don't know how much longer I will be interested in playing. I should have known that something was wrong when I started spending more time in the forum than on the game itself. I am playing another FTP game which is showing signs of going the same direction, prices up and returns down. I may just give up on the both of them and go back to my regular downloadable games, which will cost me less and be considerably less frustrating.

You have just 'said' what I have been 'thinking' all day today!

I too spend more time here in the Forum than on the game, usually while waiting for the recharge so I can complete the 'quest' that requires 2 of everything. And that's a minimum.

My latest 'quest' required 4 of the same item!

Although this is the only FTP game that I have downloaded right now I do believe that it will be the last.

I stopped (for a couple of days only) before and was a lot happier for it. I got to play some of the regular games that I have bought and actually enjoyed them.

I think that Lizzie summed it up VERY well and I would probably do well to follow in her footsteps.

Thank you both for your friendships and support!

[Post New]by tigress1_2u on Aug 31, 14 7:09 PM
Wow I am so very sorry to hear that you have stopped playing Lizzie. But I am glad that you have found a new hobby and making children happy is always just as enjoyable for you as well as for them! And that you Rose are thinking of doing the same! I will sorely miss you both...

It is time for BFG/EG's to listen to the players and not just doing the same mistakes that was the main problem in the first place " Bow Figurine & Six Paws " for all of us older players! The fun is gone from the game ... " FTP " Should mean Fun To Play as well.

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Aug 31, 14 7:10 PM
Lizzie, I knew something was wrong with your empty giftlist and not hearing from you. You were one of the first players who helped me feel welcome here, me being a novice at forums. Your generosity, guidance and support will be sorely missed. I loved your little stories and your artwork of the butterfly brought tears to my eyes (for a purely personal reason).

I know this is just a game and we are all just players, but my heart is a little heavy tonight.

Hope you enjoy your new hobby, best wishes always.

gadget23mom
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by gadget23mom on Aug 31, 14 7:17 PM
I'm saddened by the loss of LizzieK. You helped me through many tough spots, the Bow Figurine being just one of them. I've noticed now that not many people gift any longer. I believe that may as well take away that option because most players are now too leery of gifting something that they may need down the road later. The game was difficult enough when we could gift and I for one, could breathe a sigh of relief when my friends came through with gifts, but those days are gone. Once in a while someone still gifts an item, but I fear that when they reach the higher levels they may regret it. If I stay with the game, hopefully I'll be able to assist those who are in my friends list to move on up, but I think we all are a bit worried that gifting is no longer feasible.

[Post New]by grannykaren1999 on Aug 31, 14 7:24 PM
I think all the first players of the game are leaning towards the door. I haven't played as long but I'm thinking the same. It's not the same. The cost is getting unreal. I'm only level 25 creeping up on 26. But it's going to cost $10,000.00 to open a new area. Then I have no idea what the crafting costs are going to be like. I use to enjoy playing and now is seems a bit of a chore. I'll keep taking my time but that is just delaying things.

aleutcia
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by aleutcia on Aug 31, 14 7:30 PM
I understand the feelings of these players and respect their right to voice them, however I want to make it known that NOT everyone feels the same way. I continue to enjoy playing this and all the other FTP games that I play. I also have no intention of quitting them. I have paid real $ on some and that was my personal decision.

I guess I play them differently from others. For me they are not all consuming. I enjoy them, but I am not ruled by them. If it takes me 3 days to fulfill a quest, no big deal, I will get there eventually. People get all wound up because they have to get 4 of the same items for a quest, I don't see the problem, it will just take a little longer. I also did the old Bow Fig and I was not upset back then either.

These types of games are on-going and not to be played the same as the ones you purchase. For me, that is what makes them great. I know they will always be there with something new, not just re-playing the same game again and again.

I understand the comments made about having to do the HOS over and over, but as I see it, that is how the game works. You do HOS and get what you need to finish quests. I believe the Devs are aware of the monotony and that is why some of the scenes have changed. A step in the right direction as I see it.

I just wanted to voice this opinion because I do not think I'm the only one who thinks this way. It seems that you read more negative comments and complaints in the forum than positive. Some days I don't even bother reading the forum because all the complaining just brings me down. I know a lot of people read the forums and don't post and maybe they feel this way too. Maybe I am wrong, but I hope not because I want these games to continue.

[Post New]by llaurelwreath on Aug 31, 14 7:41 PM
I've been playing the game since February. I've been reading the forum regularly. If all of the older players are bored and frustrated and leaving the game and the forum then half the enjoyment of the game for me will be gone. I will miss your posts LizzieK. And Rosie if you drop out too as well as gagetsmom and all of the rest of the players who visited and posted on the forum it will be a very sad day for me and I may decide it's just not fun anymore, too. I am so sorry you are leaving Lizzie.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Aug 31, 14 10:47 PM
LizzieK,
I am sorry to hear that you are leaving. You have been a good friend to me in the game.

I understand the frustration with doing the same scenes again and again and not seeming to get anywhere, also the high cost of the new areas and crafting.

I can see both sides of the situation but I liken this game to the boring repetition of my former job as an accounts payable clerk. At least I can do other things & break my day up now that I am retired. Unfortunately not everyone has this option & I can see that everyone needs variety.

It's great that you have found a new crafting hobby & I hope that you will continue to visit the forums & the friends that you have made here. You will be sorely missed.

Rosie, I hope that you stay. I would hate to see you go as you are another of my good friends.

Trixie Belle

Musicalizzie
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by Musicalizzie on Sep 1, 14 2:18 AM
I completely agree with everything you said, LizzieK. I also "took a break" for about a month, and since I've come back (somewhat), I find that I just don't enjoy this game as much anymore. I wish I could go back to the days when I looked forward to playing it, but unless things drastically change, I may leave for good too.

Gadgetmom, I'm beginning to think they want us to do away with the gift giving too... I fully intended to still gift while I was on my break, but after completely depleting my inventory (part of the reason I took the break), I simply wasn't able to give any gifts. Everything on my friends' lists were items I just didn't have, and since I wasn't actively playing to get more, I stopped going to the social page because it saddened me that I couldn't gift. Another thing to consider is that the quests have required more items the further you go into the game. It was easy to gift when you could spare 1 extra live potion in the early stages, you didn't mind going through the HOS one more time, or doing a round of them waiting for whichever one you needed to open up again. But after doing the mosaic panel and game table 100s of times, you really don't feel like gifting away an immortal treasure or banner of loyalty. Also, we used to be rewarded more stuff for each HOS, daily quest, and even pet chests. Now the game is so stingy..... I can't even complete that thought coherently, I'm so frustrated.

Aleutcia, I'm sure you're right that there are players that feel the way you do, that read the forum but don't post. I read a lot of threads, but usually do not post either. And there are a lot of complaints, mine included . You have a very valid point, but I think the difficulty with FTP games is that there needs to be a balance between profitability and keeping the majority of customers happy. There will always be complainers, but I think the amount of discontented players is growing beyond the norm, meaning (IMO) that the average players who may groan a bit but still continue to play and spend $ are now leaving, many who have played since the beginning are burnt out and not playing as much, and new players are getting frustrated earlier because of things like not getting stamps (which were easier to get for older players when they began). All of these things make most players at every level frustrated and therefore complain. Until the game changes in some way, I think it will continue.

xshoshin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
415 Posts

[Post New]by xshoshin on Sep 1, 14 2:10 PM
Look, when so many long term players are bored and tired of the tedium, it can't be just because they are all impatient whiners. Yes, it has become the nature of THIS game to become tedious but IT DOESNT NEED TO BE THAT WAY. The complaining is not because we are babies, it's because we have valued this game and see ways to improve it so we can continue enjoying it. Some people may be above the frustration -- good for you! -- but that doesn't negate other peoples' experiences.

And good lord, if reading the forum brings you down, why in the heck read it? It's not necessary to the game. And the titles are clear indicators if it's a happy thread or not. Beyond that, if the game has no negative effect on you, why does the forum?

Most importantly, we all want the games to continue and the best way to do that is to make them fun and the best way to do that is through player feedback and the best way to do that is the forums. So we, the complainers, are the ones who are actually going to ensure they continue.

nananator1
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by nananator1 on Sep 1, 14 3:28 PM
OMG - I have been gone for two months on a family emergency. I was sooo glad to get home and catch up with the goings-on of all my forum friends. Looking forward to playing MC again, sooo, first I went to the game to play and couldn't BELIEVE it!!!!! The overwhelming feeling I got from it was complete BOREDOM : So, I quickly jumped into the forum to see what was going on and lo and belhold, I see this post! It expresses EXACTLY what I feel, and, sadly, I also am considering quitting the game. Not due to frustration or impatience, but boredom. I will really miss you LizzieK. I have enjoyed your insights and helpful hints. Rosie, you really helped a lot when I was a newbie - for now, I will keep plugging along and see what tomorrow brings.

Edited on 09/01/2014 at 3:29:54 PM PST

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Sep 1, 14 5:07 PM
Xshoshin,
I think you've got a good point about our complaints being because we see things that are robbing us of the enjoyment of the game. We'd like to continue to enjoy it so we make suggestions on what could make it better. For the most part, I think we intend constructive criticism.

Yes, this is a HOS game so we must expect to play HOS over and over. There are ways to make that so it is not boring or frustrating, as some other games have proven can be done. I would quite happily get 3 ice keys or 5 bloody lotuses or whatever, as long as I don't have to do them in a row for one quest, That's what makes the game tedious and frustrating. I'd welcome the old bow figurine back, at least you had to do a variety of pieces and when you finally finished one there was real satisfaction. We also don't have minigames to earn money, that means more tedium doing the same HOS for the same low payout. Higher levels should mean more work but also more return. We're just getting the "more work" part. In level 36 I should be getting more for finishing a quest than 30 - 50 coins but that's what I've gotten twice lately.

I think I will continue plugging along, as Nananator put it, but it's not going to be taking a lot of my time and probably precious little of my money compared to before. This isn't the game we got hooked on anymore, IMO.

Musicalizzie
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by Musicalizzie on Sep 1, 14 6:07 PM
Hear, hear Xshoshin and Rosie

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Sep 1, 14 6:20 PM
I am still playing, but not as often, and not looking to move upwards any time soon. There isn't anything to look forward to, except more of the mind numbing, boring hunt for more of everything. Yes, the game has changed in many ways, and not for the better. The thrill has gone...

aleutcia
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by aleutcia on Sep 1, 14 6:23 PM
xshoshin wrote:Look, when so many long term players are bored and tired of the tedium, it can't be just because they are all impatient whiners. Yes, it has become the nature of THIS game to become tedious but IT DOESNT NEED TO BE THAT WAY. The complaining is not because we are babies, it's because we have valued this game and see ways to improve it so we can continue enjoying it. Some people may be above the frustration -- good for you! -- but that doesn't negate other peoples' experiences.

And good lord, if reading the forum brings you down, why in the heck read it? It's not necessary to the game. And the titles are clear indicators if it's a happy thread or not. Beyond that, if the game has no negative effect on you, why does the forum?

Most importantly, we all want the games to continue and the best way to do that is to make them fun and the best way to do that is through player feedback and the best way to do that is the forums. So we, the complainers, are the ones who are actually going to ensure they continue.

I believe in my post, I said that I respect everyone's right to voice their opinion, apparently you do not based on your reply. I am not the only one to feel this way, the proof being another post with the same views as mine.

I believe I have the right to read the forum and was merely making an observation about all the complaint posts.

As you say, you the complainers are the ones who will ensure the game will continue. I disagree. There is a difference between whining and constructive comments (positive or negative). One negative effect for me from the complaining was the complete dumbing down of the BF and other zoom zones. I agreed that they should have been simplified from what they were, but not to that extreme. Again, not the only one to think so.

I am not a new player to this game, as I have been playing since before the level 18 lock-out fiasco. When the BF became overbearing for players, LizzieK came up with a great idea to help when she came up with the idea of a trading forum. That was a brilliant way for players to work together to get through. I was most impressed by her ingenuity and was able to help several players and was helped in return. A great example of making a good thing out of something bad!

Again I respect the right by everyone to voice their own opinion and do not believe they should be belittled for it.

aleutcia
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by aleutcia on Sep 1, 14 6:38 PM
rosiebvt wrote:Xshoshin,
I think you've got a good point about our complaints being because we see things that are robbing us of the enjoyment of the game. We'd like to continue to enjoy it so we make suggestions on what could make it better. For the most part, I think we intend constructive criticism.

Yes, this is a HOS game so we must expect to play HOS over and over. There are ways to make that so it is not boring or frustrating, as some other games have proven can be done. I would quite happily get 3 ice keys or 5 bloody lotuses or whatever, as long as I don't have to do them in a row for one quest, That's what makes the game tedious and frustrating. I'd welcome the old bow figurine back, at least you had to do a variety of pieces and when you finally finished one there was real satisfaction. We also don't have minigames to earn money, that means more tedium doing the same HOS for the same low payout. Higher levels should mean more work but also more return. We're just getting the "more work" part. In level 36 I should be getting more for finishing a quest than 30 - 50 coins but that's what I've gotten twice lately.
I think you said this very well, rosie. As you advance in the game it should be more difficult, but you are right, the payoff should equal the difficulty. Also the idea of some other way to get coins is a VERY good one. That would help the players who do not like the monotony of the HOS. Great constructive criticism!!

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Sep 1, 14 6:57 PM
LizzieK - You will be sorely missed by all of us who depended so much on your help and guidance. Get some rest and maybe you might decide to come back and play at a slower, less stressful pace.

Thank you for all the hard work you put into helping so many others.

Go to: