catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Entwined: The Perfect Murder here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 2, 14 1:21 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 09/02/2014 at 6:02:11 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Entwined: The Perfect Murder here!

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Sep 2, 14 6:02 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Entwined: The Perfect Murder here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Entwined: The Perfect Murder .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 2, 14 8:22 AM
I like a good detective story as well as the next person so I was looking forward to playing this after reading the description. Unfortunately this is not a good detective story. It's a very boring detective story. There is not one single detail that is original or a single character that isn't a stereotype encountered in numerous other detective stories.

The graphics are decent but looking at the same rooms in the victim's home over and over for the hour of the demo just became tedious. How many times can a single room be combed for clues? Apparently the number is very high...at least in this game it is. Maybe further along in the game the detective breaks free from this house but by the time I finished the demo I was already too bored to care.

HOS were straight list finds with the lists alternating between text and silhouette. There were a good number of them and you revisit each at least twice. They were easy. You also search for fingerprints through a pale green mist. I didn't even need the "magnifying glass", or whatever it was supposed to be, to see them. There is also a good number of puzzles. They were of varying type and were, for the most part, pretty easy.

The adventure component was often contrived to the point where things got very silly. Our detective cannot shoo a bird or a small lizard without a special tool, she needs to receive instructions from her colleague on how to conduct an investigation, she won't go into a bathroom if there's steam in the room, she can't move a curtain away from a window without performing a ridiculous task first, and...well you get the idea. Silly, silly, silly. Far too silly for me.

An hour of this was almost more than I could take. I cannot muster up any interest in where the story is going because where it's already been is so very dull. A definite no-buy for me.

Edited on 09/02/2014 at 1:14:27 PM PST

ttomm46
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by ttomm46 on Sep 2, 14 10:21 AM
AverageSizeFish wrote:I like a good detective story as well as the next person so I was looking forward to playing this after reading the description. Unfortunately this is not a good detective story. It's a very boring detective story. There is not one single detail that is original or a single character that isn't a stereotype encountered in numerous other detective stories.

The graphics are decent but looking at the same rooms in the victim's home over and over for the hour of the demo just became tedious. How many times can a single room be combed for clues? Apparently the number is very high...at least in this game it is. Maybe further along in the game the detective breaks free from this house but by the time I finished the demo I was already too bored to care.

HOS were straight list finds with the lists alternating between text and silhouette. There were a good number of them and you revisit each at least twice. They were easy. You also search for fingerprints through a pale green mist. I didn't even need the "magnifying glass", or whatever it was supposed to be, to see them. There is also a good number of puzzles. They were of varying type and were, for the most part, pretty easy.

The adventure component was often contrived to the point where things got very silly. Our detective cannot shoo a bird or a small lizard without a spray bottle, she needs to receive instructions from her colleague on how to conduct an investigation, she won't go into a bathroom if there's steam in the room, she can't move a curtain away from a window without first sawing the curtain rod in half, and...well you get the idea. Silly, silly, silly. Far too silly for me.

An hour of this was almost more than I could take. I cannot muster up any interest in where the story is going because where it's already been is so very dull. A definite no-buy for me.

Thanks AverageSizeFish..You saved me a download

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Sep 2, 14 10:25 AM
Average Size Fish has e-ray vision, because I couldn't find the last fingerprint without a hint!

I like this game. I like these rather simple SEs and find they offer more than the fancy-smancy CEs that all look alike! This is a murder mystery! I love murder mysteries! Games... books... movies... television... give me a murder mystery!

The HOS are a bit messy, but the items weren't too large, nor too teeny to find. I guess that makes them "just right!" Not interactive, but different kinds (list, silhouette).
The PUZZLES were not challenging, but did take a bit of thought. I had fun with the ones in the demo, and fun's why I play!

As for what our detective can and cannot do... there needs to be some reason to search for inventory items! Besides, if one of the crows in my yard had something I wanted, a "shoo" wouldn't scare him away! (Watch those "spoilers" ASF! A few of your complaints tell us what we need to do!) Every game has these same silly things. For instance, if we have a knife, why do we need to find scissors? Or, can't we just break the window if we have a hammer, why do we need to use a glass cutter?

I played the survey game, and it ran slow. That has been fixed and it plays just fine now. It's a fun game, and if nothing else it's not the same old thing. No black fog in sight, and so far no animal helper (although a tracking dog may appear for all I know)!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Sep 2, 14 11:09 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:Average Size Fish has e-ray vision, because I couldn't find the last fingerprint without a hint!

I like this game. I like these rather simple SEs and find they offer more than the fancy-smancy CEs that all look alike! This is a murder mystery! I love murder mysteries! Games... books... movies... television... give me a murder mystery!

The HOS are a bit messy, but the items weren't too large, nor too teeny to find. I guess that makes them "just right!" Not interactive, but different kinds (list, silhouette).
The PUZZLES were not challenging, but did take a bit of thought. I had fun with the ones in the demo, and fun's why I play!

As for what our detective can and cannot do... there needs to be some reason to search for inventory items! Besides, if one of the crows in my yard had something I wanted, a "shoo" wouldn't scare him away! (Watch those "spoilers" ASF! A few of your complaints tell us what we need to do!) Every game has these same silly things. For instance, if we have a knife, why do we need to find scissors? Or, can't we just break the window if we have a hammer, why do we need to use a glass cutter?

I played the survey game, and it ran slow. That has been fixed and it plays just fine now. It's a fun game, and if nothing else it's not the same old thing. No black fog in sight, and so far no animal helper (although a tracking dog may appear for all I know)!

Thank you so much! I love it when people write great reviews and make it so much easier for lazy people like me to make decisions. Downloading the trial right now. I love a good murder mystery!

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Sep 2, 14 11:54 AM
Based on demo + a no-buy:

This game, IMO, had potential to be a good-to-great game for a soft release but, doesn't get its act together (at least not in the demo's hour). It has decent graphics (but not brilliant or crisp). Some objects in the HOPs make squinting essential. As twinsoniclab mentioned, I needed hints in both the fingerprint scenes.

The lack of a Map isn't a problem since the Hint transports + gives clear directions for the next step. The Diary's ok. Ex: The Statue's pose puzzle needed a post-it type clue next to it because each time I opened the Diary to double check, it reset itself.

The whodunit story is intriguing even if didn't quite hold my attention. I don't mind the rehash bit because I like to encourage new Devs. though it's hard to tell if these Devs. incorporated beta feedback? Or even try other free game trials (+ read reviews) to see what works, what's popular, etc.

Despite all of the above, it was the whopping 3 min. (SKIP) and 1.5 mins (HINT) refill time (Casual Mode) that did me in........is this a ruse to make a game seem lengthy? Personally, I don't care about game length since I play to relax, enjoy and be entertained (not an avid or serious gamer, as such).

It's too bad how SE games have become reduced to crumbs off the CE table. Right now, my expression looks like Maria's......caught in the act of assuming it would be a good game.

Edited on 09/02/2014 at 11:56:48 AM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Sep 2, 14 12:31 PM
Well, I for one, am enjoying this game. It's a good old fashioned who-done-it and I like those. So far, based on the demo, it's a good game to use at night when I need something that's not too mind boggling. The hint system replaces the need for a SG, and the puzzles have been "just right". Graphics are good, not great, but I didn't expect them to be. Voice overs, lots of suspects, photographs to take of the crime scene, this is playing more like a crime novel. Good! With a free game token, I'm set. I have not been happy, with the exception of Jewel Match IV, of the selection of games on BF lately, so this game is fitting a need. As always, everyone has their own tastes! Lately, some of the reviewers seem to have forgotten that. Please, no more pot shots at other players!

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 2, 14 1:11 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:Average Size Fish has e-ray vision, because I couldn't find the last fingerprint without a hint!...

"...As for what our detective can and cannot do... there needs to be some reason to search for inventory items! Besides, if one of the crows in my yard had something I wanted, a "shoo" wouldn't scare him away! (Watch those "spoilers" ASF! A few of your complaints tell us what we need to do!) Every game has these same silly things. For instance, if we have a knife, why do we need to find scissors? Or, can't we just break the window if we have a hammer, why do we need to use a glass cutter?"

No e-ray vison here...I just play a lot of the older HOP games where the HOS actually make you search for things so I have good practice. Most newer games just don't have the same challenge in HOS as the oldie but goodies.

As for there needing to be some reason to search for inventory items, I agree with you. If the game is a HOPA, inventory collection is an important component of the game. I just feel that a well written game will make this activity make sense within the context of the story.

In a fantasy themed game I'm fine with some stretch of the imagination but in a game that's set in a realistic setting I want things to be a little bit more...er...realistic than what we saw here. A detective who shrinks at a room full of steam is just plain silly. It ruins my ability to suspend disbelief when a dev includes something so ridiculous in a game and it makes me feel they just ran out of ideas. I'm glad you enjoyed the game but my review reflects what I thought of it.

I guess I didn't think I was giving away any big secrets in my review above but I have no problem editing it and will do so right now

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 2, 14 2:52 PM
WHO DUNIT? ID TV MEETS THE BIG FISH

MURDER OF A BIG FISH ATTORNEY LEADS TO LIFE IMPRISONMENT IN THE BIG HOUSE WITHOUT TIME OFF TO PLAY GAMES IN THE BIG FISH POND.

Quoting Susan Lucci from ID TV, " Two's company, Three's a crowd, and One commits a murder." How clever don't you think? Every 56 year old man should have his own ray of sun going into his "golden years" - plenty of golden sunshine to play golf, a pot of gold in the bank, a golden parachute, and, of course the perfect golden trophy to make a "golden" life complete ( a younger wife, of course). Let's investigate our case "The Perfect Murder."

The victim is Adam Turner, a 56 year old litigator, living every man's perfect end-of-life dream. He has the perfect life with a profitable business soon to be run by his younger partners, a large estate, a beautiful younger wife, plenty of money in the bank, great golfing buds (I threw that in), and a non English speaking maid. (Is he copying Arnold?) Oh -and I forgot - a nice poor but honest paper boy. However, there is always a "fly," or in this case, "some nasty spiders" (maybe even a Black Widow) in the ointment. He has a greedy sister who is suing him, a long time "close" friend who seems also be a "close" friend to his wife as well. After all, who is "hot" trophy wife going to play video games with when Mr. Turner is out of town? Your job is to discover - Who killed Mr. Turner? BTW - It isn't the butler.

I may be in the minority but I like this game. The game is rather like "Clue." You, as the detective, collect evidence throughout the game to find the guilty culprit. The game has three levels of play and voiceovers. The game to me is realistic because you take photos of evidence you collect, collect finger prints and speak with the suspects. The HOP scenes are basically junk piles and not interactive. However, I like the puzzles in the game and some of them (such as the tablet with the colored rings) provide a new perspective to old puzzles. The graphics are rather cartoonish but not bad. To me, this is a step up from the last few SE games we have encountered on this site.

LET ME REVIEW THE EVIDENCE ON THIS GAME. LOOKING AT ALL THE FACTS I RATE THIS GAME 5 FINGERPRINTS OUT OF 5 FINGERPRINTS FOR AN SE. I AM GOING TO PURCHASE THIS GAME AND CLOSE THE BOOK ON THIS CASE.

Edited on 09/02/2014 at 2:52:59 PM PST

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Sep 2, 14 4:20 PM
I did like it for a SE since they are few and far inbetween.No days i'm careful about se games ,since I bought Obscure curse of the ring and have never got far without a freeze up and it will never be FIXED.This game went wrong for me when the skip button took forever to fill over 2 mins,thats uncalled for now days.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Sep 2, 14 6:55 PM
I remember beta testing this game. The only real issue I had with it was the dead body that was there while you were searching for the fingerprints. EWWWWWWW. Even though I mentioned it in the survey questions, they evidently didn't do anything to change that.

As for the rest of the game, I did enjoy that the graphics were crisp and clear, the music was pleasant and game play pretty straight forward. The wide screen correction did fill up nicely on my monitor and cursor size was just right.

Hint button did give away a little too much (outside of the HOG scenes). I would have preferred navigational arrows as opposed to giving hints as what to do at the location AND giving you a chance to jump there. If they are going to give you all of that a map with objectives shown would have worked just as well, if not better. At least with that you still would have to figure out what to do at the location.

HOGs were nicely done but I do wish they had interactive items in them. Perhaps they do further down the road.

I agree that 2 minutes to have to wait for the skip button to fill is unacceptable. I do try to solve them but sometimes they are just too hard or not my taste and the 2 minute wait is really frustrating.

All in all I think I will be getting it with a PCC.

Edited on 09/02/2014 at 6:58:01 PM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 2, 14 8:11 PM
This is the second in this Series. I'm a fan of simpler type of games. I really enjoy the storyline of being a Detective. These types of games are one of my favorites to play. I love a good Who Dun It! It's definitely different from the usual games. Be sure to try this this game. It's worth your time.

Yes: Voice Over's
Yes: Widescreen/Full Screen
Yes: Casual/Hard/Advanced
Yes: Diary
Yes: Skip Able Option
Yes: HOS
Music/Voice/Effects Sounds
Theme: Suspense Detective Crime

I rate this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.
‘ ‘
(o)

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Sep 2, 14 11:05 PM
KBEAR2045 wrote:I agree that 2 minutes to have to wait for the skip button to fill is unacceptable.
Two minutes? Well, that's it for me. Not going to waste my time being punished by some developer just because I don't want to play their stupid puzzles.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 3, 14 9:48 AM
Hi all. Well I guess I'm going to be among the few who disagree on this one. The graphics weren't too bad, a bit old school, and a lot of blue and pink again. Game play was a little choppy. Voice overs were pretty good, but these guys had some very silly things to say. Dialog left a lot to be desired. Music wasn't bad when it played, but seemed to disappear on a regular basis, leaving no sound other than the annoying sound you got every time you found something. Very little sound FX anywhere.

HOPs were extremely simple and nothing new or exciting...pretty straight forward and items too easy to spot. Puzzles, well, a couple were rather fun and different, but otherwise very simple, and skip is very long. Hint system recharge was extremely slow, but it was helpful and it does transport you to the location you need, along with a hint before you get there. For some reason, it doesn't feel like a very long game, but I could be wrong.

This could have been a very nice SE, but it was lacking a flow to the story line. There was no rhyme or reason for most of the movements. I love a good whodunit, but this one just didn't do it for me. No excitement, no challenge, no buy. I'm all for a lazy day simple game now and then, but I'm not even sure a beginner would find this one all that much fun.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Sep 3, 14 12:17 PM
I enjoyed playing this game. I felt like I had to actually think and not everything is just handed to you. I played on the hardest mode and really did have to scan an area very well at times or I would miss an item or something that needed to be done. I like the graphics better than some of the new CE's coming out. I did enjoy the first Entwine game more than this one, but I think this is still better than many of the games coming out lately.

[Post New]by RozanneLamar on Sep 6, 14 12:36 PM
I felt like I wasted my money. I love a good game and a murder mystery is super cool but this game was WAY to short and WAY to easy....plus it stayed in the same place. DO not waste your money.
Rozanne

New1
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by New1 on Sep 7, 14 8:16 AM
I have to say, I really liked this game.
It was a little different but a nice change from people from other planets, & all these technical machines.
Good job BF! Thank you!
Just my opinion!

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Sep 8, 14 5:41 AM
Just finished the demo and I love this game. I have the first Entwined but its been so long since I played it I can't remember if I liked it or not. But this game was exactly what I like. I love murder mysteries and I can't wait to play the rest to see whodunit. The thing that was my favorite though was the option to skip a HO scene. I hate the shadow HO and being able to skip them was great, We need more games like this.

Edited after playing the whole game. It was a great game. I absolutely loved it. The only downfall was it didn't have a map so I had to actually remember where everything was and travel there "by foot". But that was the only thing I didn't like about it.

Edited on 09/20/2014 at 9:09:24 PM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 8, 14 5:53 PM
nothing at all new about this game, it has all been seen and done before. plus the fact that you have to wait an eternity for the hint/skip buttons to recharge

Go to: