bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Labyrinths of the World: Shattered Soul Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 6, 14 12:29 AM
Your sister Margaret wrote you about a strange invention. When you arrive to visit her, she's vanished! What's left behind are the traces of a bizarre event: Margaret's soul has been broken into fragments and placed in different worlds, where they’ll be used as part of a mysterious device.

It's up to you to save not just Margaret's soul – but the fate of each world in turn as you navigate the labyrinths and plot twists in this exciting hidden-object puzzle adventure game!

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won’t find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Labyrinths of the World: Shattered Soul Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 6, 14 2:44 AM
I can understand how you feel, cbtx.

Sometimes it's hard, to be a ma-an... dam-da-dam-da-dam
trying hard to find ~ just the right game...
You get fluffy games ~ and you get cutesy games...
but all you want is just the one... dam-da-dam-da-dam-da-dam...

that doesn't include dogs (no no no)
and no dress-up dolls
but strangely enough...
that's what you get.
It's hard to be a ma-an....

--- --- ---

I am loving this game. Bought it, and it's downloading now.

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 6, 14 2:51 AM
Hi cbtx

The helper is a harlequin and is an inventory item only, I think it was used twice in the demo when you found something that needed fixing, pick it up pop it on the thing that needs fixing and it's done. Think of it as a knife when you want to cut an apple or a rope.

Yes there is a Boudoir for it but that's an extra just in case anyone wants to play dress up with the harlequin - you are not forced to dress it up in order to complete the game.

There is also a Museum to explore but I haven't got there yet as you have to complete the world you are in before you can access it.

Dax

hippyfishie
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

[Post New]by hippyfishie on Sep 6, 14 3:12 AM
I am a woman and I agree wholeheartedly with CBTX. I want to play a game, not just sit and decorate. I view it as a filler thrown in to make the game seem longer.
I have even written to BF and told them I wouldn't spend money on those games anymore.
IMHO, I think the games have been dumbed down also. It's ironic because the graphics have come such a long way but the creative element seems gone. Even the story lines are predictable.
No money from me either, or I'll wait for the SE.

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 3:20:13 AM PST

Badut
Herring
Herring
345 Posts

[Post New]by Badut on Sep 6, 14 3:18 AM
Nicely put, cbtx - with you all the way - even though I am female

But maybe I should stay out of the whole debate - since I - being a whole hearted Adventure Games addict - find all these HOGA/HOPA-whatever games boring and repetitive. And the themes are far out. The fact that theý are some times referred to as adventure games is just deeply offending

IF they ever make an interesting who-dunnit murder game WITHOUT ghosts/mechanical dolls and/or ridiculous supernatural, magical gadgets, I might try it.
IF you dont have to look for spiders, irons and/or spinning tops that has nothing what so ever to do with the story

(And I have never EVER met a mouse or a squirrel collecting keys - OR being willing to exchange them for biscuits )

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 3:22:42 AM PST

Dudesmum
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by Dudesmum on Sep 6, 14 3:23 AM
hippyfishie wrote:I am a woman and I agree wholeheartedly with CBTX. I want to play a game, not just sit and decorate. I view it as a filler that the developer threw in to make the game seem longer.
I have even written to BF and told them I wouldn't spend money on those games anymore.
IMHO, I think the games have been dumbed down also. It's ironic because the graphics have come such a long way but the creative element seems gone. Even the story lines are predictable.
No money from me either, or I'll wait for the SE.

I do agree but at the same time enjoy fluffy things to play with ...

cbtx my hubby would be one to agree with you in that he would hate to dress up some girly thing and often laughs when I'm spending time putting on matching outfits on my furry helper . But the I watch him play his game and most of his 'builds' are girls who are scantly clad and have large breasts... He tells me it's in keeping with that charters type but I just laugh pointing out in real life she would trip trying to run like that with those boobs in that outfit ....

My biggest bug bear with this game is the lack of lip movement ... I would give up dressing my helper for the butlers lips to move just once... Ooooo did the Butler do it???

Give the game a go as others have said playing dress up is not part of the game playing... Otherwise maybe wait until the SE comes out and I hope there is a non fluffy cutsee game just around the corner...

Sneezes Dudesmum (I have a bad cold)

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 6, 14 3:25 AM
Badut wrote:

(And I have never EVER met a mouse or a squirrel collecting keys - OR being willing to exchange them for biscuits )

My friend, you would be very surprised at how often that appears in games! I played one today,the new Dana Knightstone, and I had to trade a squirrel 8 acorns for the box I wanted. What a rip-off!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 6, 14 3:28 AM
Well for what it's worth I like this game. It was a bit slow to get started and some of the comments if you try and use an item in the wrong place are a touch sarcastic for my taste but I'll overlook that this time. The 'portals to other worlds' are back but I liked what I saw in the demo time (66mins).

As for the 'helper', it's just a tool of a different type, not a cute animal. And yes the collectibles are for dressing it up but I don't have to do it if I don't want to (and I won't).

Lovely graphics too and some interesting puzzles. Alternative to HOS as well as a custom play mode and transportable map. Not much to dislike really Oh and the lead character is a man.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Sep 6, 14 4:16 AM
that is not the whole game!some love very much morphing objects,i don't!but the quality of the game is not for me in the 'collectibles' and cute,cute,cute animals!if story is good enough to spend 5 or 6 hours to play,i'll!and that's all!but i'm dreaming of a good murder case,or better,a good science-fiction theme game!!!!

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Sep 6, 14 4:41 AM
I agree with cbtx, the cute animals are saccharine and, for me, not necessary. I've always like the acerbic, no nonsense attitude cbtx brings to his reviews. let's hope the developers listen to him as well as the rest of us (mostly women) and give more balance to the male/female points of view or we might all end up swimming in treacle.

Agnes_2810
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by Agnes_2810 on Sep 6, 14 4:48 AM
It's the BEST CE I've played for a long time! (Maybe Cadenza: Music, Betrayal...)

Beautiful, bright colors, beautyful worlds, very interactive HOS, and the collectibles are easily to find. There isn't a "dress up girl", but a room, and the main charakter is a man!!

I bought it after the first 10 minutes of the demo, and I'm hooked!

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 4:49:15 AM PST

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Sep 6, 14 5:05 AM
I beta tested this and was on the fence about it and that was BEFORE this dress up element was added. This game bordered the "cute" line but it had some techie almost steam punk elements to it although I don't seem to see them anymore. I remember suggesting to tone down the "cutesy" because it could be a good game without all that fluff but sadly it turned to that.

I used to buy sooooo many games especially on weekends with great sales like the BOGOs but last weekend, I didn't buy any and I haven't for some time. Even series I loved like secrets of the dark series have gone the way of the cute. I like this theme in some games like the Awakening series among others but having all these pink n purple hues with dress up animals n playrooms in games that don't need them and are established favorites already has put me off.

Developers don't need to copy each other! Be unique on your own!! I see other developers taking Mad Head Games creative hidden object scene ideas and using them in theirs! Why? Do your own special features! Stand out for your own uniqueness instead of copying each other's themes, ideas and storylines. The game Cadenza changed my view of everything. These games can still be breath-taking, refreshing and new! We just need developers to be themselves and create mind blowing creative games not churning out the same crap as everyone else because people liked it. People want VARIETY! Why do I need 100 games with all the same stuff? What a waste of money & I for one am not supporting this anymore. I just demoed a game about people turning into jaguars and now there's another game but it's snow leopards. I love BLAM! Games so I'd be willing to keep an open mind that maybe they'd give me something original but now I'm sure we will see 75 other games just like this…rant over.

Oh n I beta tested MCF too and couldn't believe how utterly bored I was…

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Sep 6, 14 5:07 AM
angelfish106 wrote:Well for what it's worth I like this game. It was a bit slow to get started and some of the comments if you try and use an item in the wrong place are a touch sarcastic for my taste but I'll overlook that this time. The 'portals to other worlds' are back but I liked what I saw in the demo time (66mins).

As for the 'helper', it's just a tool of a different type, not a cute animal. And yes the collectibles are for dressing it up but I don't have to do it if I don't want to (and I won't).

Lovely graphics too and some interesting puzzles. Alternative to HOS as well as a custom play mode and transportable map. Not much to dislike really Oh and the lead character is a man.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 6, 14 5:20 AM
cbtx wrote:Lead character a man?? Does he do the "dressing up"????

Only when no-one's watching

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Sep 6, 14 5:47 AM
I wish this forum had a so I could just click on the appropriate feature in each response rather than feeling compelled to write something every time I agreed or didn't disagree. I also am tired of basically anything cute. I just want to play a good, solid game that's based on creativity and imagination rather than gimmicks.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 6, 14 5:50 AM
Perhaps it might have been better if the person who mentioned a possible naked puppet to be dressed up, had not said anything about it.

There is no doll that needs dressing up in this game.

nyc240
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by nyc240 on Sep 6, 14 5:51 AM
I have to support cbtx and others here when it comes to the overly cute, childlike, fantasy art games, and I am one who fits the demographic he cites. Most of those who play in the "casual" game arena are older professional women who play games for a good mental challenge, not necessarily the fantasy escapism of our youth. How many times can we feel challenged by searching through a pile of unrelated images to find a wrench that will attach a wheel that will move a cart that hides a wooden door with a lock in the shape of a star that we have to search through a pile of unrelated images to find?

Where are the devs like Kheops Studios, who gave us a new world to enter and left it to us to explore...

[Post New]by NancySusan on Sep 6, 14 6:29 AM
Well, I kind of like this game, even though Nvidia has struck again, but in this instance, the colors are pretty deep and at least not yellow all the time, so the color isn't distracting at all, just a little dark. I totally get what cbtx said, but for me, who actually took some costume classes in school, I don't mind the harlequin at all -- it's supposed to be a device Margaret, the missing sister made and it repairs things, so that's fine. Besides and bizarrely, in the demo we have no access to either the "boudoir" where I assume we can dress the harlequin, or the museum where the coins we are collecting can be used. Which means, it's a bit like demoing the SE, thanks, dev., why? Yeah, it's pretty strange that lips don't move in this game, but the story is kind of engrossing -- sister works with genius but eccentric scientist, who begins to display odder and odder behavior and now the sister has gone missing. I like that there's a male protagonist, but since I usually use my name as game player, I'm being addressed by, well, Nancy, which isn't generally a guy's name, which is strange -- if I'm a guy, let me remain one. Anyway, I skipped the first HOP, the only one in the 25 mins. I played, and did a jigsaw, which was quick and fun. So far I'm intrigued enough to get the game, despite the number of unplayed games on my GM, but this did kind of hook me in. I'll probably play more of the demo when I have some time, and if I change my mind I'll edit this, but right now, I'm definitely inclining towards a buy.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 6, 14 6:54 AM
I support my Dear friend cbtx! Even for grown woman...these games have become dumbed down for all Adults. And let me SHOUT OUT LOUD...COOKIE CUTTER/REPEAT STORY LINES! If I have to search for one more Lost loved one...I think, I'll just let them be lost.

For beginners...this will be an amazing new adventure. But for those of us...who have been around since they used to make GREAT games...we are not fooled any longer. Especially with the colors to try and capture our attentions. I'd rather played a great game in black and white, then one of these newer games with so many colors and old story lines...that don't hold up...to our older games.

I've said my . Try this game for yourself...as one should always. After reading another real post from my friend cbtx...I guess it got my feathers ruffled.

DEVELOPERS: Please make some new games...with great story lines...like the old days. Please, I implore you!

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Sep 6, 14 7:04 AM
I too agree with most fishies.Game was kind of childest like I didn't even finish the demo.I'll wait and hope soon for dark and spookie.Like the beta did for myths of the world shattered souls.Vampires yippee.Good luck for those that like this game

Go to: