catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: Shattered Soul here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 6, 14 2:38 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 6:18:31 AM PST

reesy37
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

I like it!!

[Post New]by reesy37 on Sep 6, 14 6:05 AM
I think this is one I will buy. Played about 30 minutes of the demo and I want to keep going when the demo is done. There are coins to collect and masks. There is a jump map.

The SG does not show collectables in demo, which is a down side for me, but not a deal breaker.

"You" are a man in this one...different than most...but also not a deal breaker.

Games were fairly easy, but I had it set on the easy setting...will step it up when I finish downloading the whole thing.

I found this game fun.

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: Shattered Soul here!

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Sep 6, 14 6:18 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Labyrinths of the World: Shattered Soul Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Labyrinths of the World: Shattered Soul Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:16:29 AM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Sep 6, 14 8:53 AM
Just played the demo but with the collected coins you could not look into the museum, how can you try a game with no access?? My fun was completely gone. Keep your game

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Sep 6, 14 9:09 AM
Why buy a CE when you can't even access the CE material in the demo to see if it's worth it? You collect coins for the "museum" and "outfits" for your "helper," but can't see how those extra features work. The accessories are obviously for dress-up, but what's the museum? Not a good move to keep the extras secret when they are what should sell us on a CE.

That isn't what keeps me from buying the game. It's just too easy. The HOS are fine, if extremely junky. The usual stuff to find, candles, bells, masks... Interactive, but not to a great extent. It's the PUZZLES that put me off. A box with 6 pieces to put together, later using it to open a gate via life cycle cubes. Place items in rainbow order, with the instructions telling you just what that is. The ol' turn one and it turns others puzzles, but here it was super simple to do. Follow the sequence, but you only follow it once! The lock for the gazebo was as easy as the other puzzles, just took longer so to me was a frustrating time waster!

Our "helper" puts things together, fixes items I would have liked to fix myself. Seeing a broken key chain I thought "great, a puzzle!" but no, we just send the "helper" to magically repair the pieces? Why? Were they too lazy to make a puzzle out of it? In a hurry to get the game done and cut corners by cutting out a puzzle? Disappointing.

Not a game I would have fun with. I hope those of you who enjoy the demo continue to have fun!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 6, 14 11:13 AM
A well made, pretty and relaxing game. There were some interesting takes on the usual puzzles, the HOPs were very interactive and the graphics are very well done with good voice acting and fairly good music. Not an earth shaker but a nice game to play on a rainy day.

ETA: as someone else said, this game starts slow but it really improves the further you get into it. The worlds it creates are imaginative and beautifully rendered and the game play is creative. Really well done.

Edited on 09/07/2014 at 5:32:27 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 6, 14 12:31 PM
Hi all. Well, guess I'm going to be different today. I found the graphics to be nice, not a pile of blue and pink for a change. Colors were very bright and graphics were clear. Game play was good, no problems during the demo. Music was nice, but at times was quite over-powering even at 50%, so made it difficult to hear what was being said. Good thing there was written dialog, which you cannot click through if you read faster than they speak. Voice overs were good and appropriate for character and setting. There is a Harlequin that seemed to be just sort of tossed in as something else to use and was not necessary at all.

At first the SG didn't want to stay on the last page visited, but somewhere in the first chapter, it decided to behave itself and work...so far. Really don't like clicking through pages every time I need to look at the SG. Definitely a deal breaker. Hint system works quite well and is very helpful. It transports you to the map, where is shows you the location you need, you then click on it and are transported that way. An extra, unnecessary step, but it works. Hint doesn't fill quickly, but doesn't creep along either.

HOPs are interactive and pretty standard. Items not hard to find. You can switch to a jigsaw puzzle, which I like, except that they were extremely simple. Puzzles are not difficult, but there seem to be more puzzles than HOPs in this one. No brain strain here either.

The only collectibles I found are coins, which let you visit a museum. Don't know how many you need, but I didn't collect enough to go anywhere during the demo. Also, you collect masks to visit the boudoir, but only if you buy the game. These masks are not as easy to find as you may think. Some are, but others are quite small and well blended. This is the challenge to this game. There are also 4 portals you need to find parts for in order to travel to other dimensions. This looks promising.

This is a very quiet game in that there is more running around for one item than there is dialog. There just didn't seem to be much of a flow to this game. Hopefully it picks up as you play. The collectibles intrigue me, so I need to get this one to see what happens in the museum and boudoir. This is not a bad game, and I like it well enough to buy.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not like this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 6, 14 2:15 PM
The graphics are sharp and clear. The art style in the first of the portal worlds is very busy looking and done in bright pastels with a lot of contrast. The combination was, occasionally, a bit of an eye-strain. The music fits the theme of the story and goes along with the action. The voice overs were good as were the atmospheric sounds.

The story is your garden variety "relative ensnared by evildoer - save them by using magic portals" story. Your character is male and needs to recover his sister's soul which has been shattered and scattered among several portal places, the first of which is a bright pastel fairyland. The evil doer is also destroying worlds so you need to defeat him too. You receive a mechanical doll from your sister and it can be deployed once in awhile to fix machinery. The story unfolds through dialogues with multiple characters, nicely done cut scenes, and various documents you find along the way.

The adventure component has some amount of running back and forth built in. The objectives are usually clear and the tasks needed to achieve them are typical enough that it isn't difficult to figure out what to do. There were a couple inventory items that didn't seem like they should be used how the developer has us use them but for the most part things make sense within the context of the story.

There were four HOS in the demo and they were all the same type. Roughly half the items were straight list finds and the others were interactive. Interactions ranged from simply opening something to mini-tasks requiring multiple steps. There were usually one or two items that were a little harder to find than those in many other games but none were frustratingly difficult. The puzzles were of varying type and none were difficult. They were, in my opinion, fun to do.

The game has 3 levels of difficulty and a custom option. There are collectible masks and coins. Each collection can be viewed in its own area although both were locked for the demo. The tool bar locks and the jump map shows areas of interest.

This is a solidly made game that revisits a common HOPA theme but adds in some imaginative details. The story didn't grab me but I think it will appeal to many people. It's definitely of high enough quality to be worth spending a little time on to try the demo. 3 stars.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 6, 14 3:00 PM
A WEAK BEGINNING "MASKS" A GREAT GAME. GREAT PUZZLES ARE HIDING IN THIS GAME!

We have a new game from a dev we haven't seen for awhile - Anno Domini. It is HOP -lite and puzzle intense. The weak beginning of the game "masks" a great game which is revealed as you continue to play. I actually had to rewrite this review because of the very weak beginning to this game.

In a game reminiscent of "Frankenstein," you play the brother to Margaret, a scientist. She is working in an old castle with a mad scientist, Samuel Thomson. They have discovered an earth-shattering discovery of epic proportions which will revolutionize the world. After you arrive at the castle, you realize she is missing and soon locate her hooked up to a machine in which Samuel is trying to capture her soul to provide energy in order to open portals to other worlds.

This is another "helper" game. However, this time it is not animal or human - it is robotic. You, as Margaret's brother acquire a robotic harlequin which your sister invented. You "pick her up" electronically after playing a puzzle which is a variation of the Color Code of Resistance (BBROYGBVGW). The mnemonics are: Bad Boys R(use your imagination here) Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly. A blast from the past for me! LOL! Is the puzzle trying to provide a secret mnemonic message? Maybe?

This game is a "mumble jumble" of two themes - the" mad scientist" blended with the "French clown and masked ball." There are three levels of play plus the option to customize. The HOP scenes are interactive as is the inventory. The graphics are boldly colorful and fit well into the whole "harlequin" theme. In the beginning, the puzzles are boringly easy - well, let's just say you will not need to study "electronics" in order to solve them. However, as you delve into the game - they become a little more difficult. There are quite a few closed portals in this game. Not only are the portals to other worlds closed, the portals to the collectibles are closed as well. You collect masks throughout the game. However, in this game you are not allowed to go to the "boudoir" in order to use them. You also collect coins to be used at the museum - which you also don't get to frequent either. The map allows transport to locations within the game.

I RATE THIS GAME 4 MASKS OUT OF 5 MASKS.

DEVS - I ALMOST DIDN'T PURCHASE THIS BECAUSE OF THE WEAK BEGINNING. TRY TO BE CONSISTENT IN YOUR DEVELOPMENT.

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 3:33:43 PM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Sep 6, 14 4:43 PM
Well, I for one can't get past the trial period. Maybe it's me, but this game is boring! I'm burned out on ho-hum HOGS and long for a Soaring City! I find myself looking through my purchased games for something I can replay. I don't play games as much as I used to. Remarried (as a widow, I needed something to occupy my time but I have that now. His name is Lee!) So I find I'm just not spending the money for just any game. The CEs are going to have to "pop" out at me. This may be a fun game for some, but not interesting or different enough to catch my money.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 6, 14 7:36 PM
Regarding entering the Museum and the Boudoir:

No, you can't access either in the demo, nor can you access either in the full version until:

Boudoir: you have the Harlequin doll in your inventory

Museum: you have entered one of the 4 worlds. Whichever world you enter, that one you can enter in the Museum.

I think this game is very well made. It has lots of things to offer, and it has beautiful graphics and vibrant colours.

I fell immediately in love with this game. Have been and done one of the four worlds, and am still not bored. And that is saying much. These days I get bored with HOGs very quickly.

There are not many HOS (but they are beautifully done), but the puzzles/mini games are quite frequent. Both are really fun to do.

And I am really glad that the developers have added a "Custom" mode to their choices of difficulty.

--- --- ---

Oh, and btw, there is no doll to be dressed up. It's the Boudoir that you can decorate and dress up. I would have thought that at least one of the moderators had, by now, noticed the wrong description on the main game page, and someone had changed that.

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 8:39:12 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 8, 14 12:20 PM
The game had a slow start but got better as the game went on. I almost quit but started playing the next day and really enjoyed it. It does have great graphics and puzzles are different and some harder than I could do but always have the skip. HOG's were fun and storyline was different and had lots of twists and turns to it. Give this a 4 out of 5 stars..

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Sep 9, 14 11:49 AM
I REALLLLY like this game! Sure, its not that hard, but it is so inventive and the graphics are outrageously cartoonish, and beautifully colored. The 4 worlds (5 if you count the original) are all wildly different. I have been playing off and on for 3 days and am still in the 3rd world. I like finding the objects you need (no spoiler alert!) to purchase items for the boudoir and the museums. I've still got 1 more world and the bonus chapter to go. This game lasts a good long time and I'm enjoying it all. I like it so much, I just stopped playing for a minute to write this review so others might give it a try.

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Sep 9, 14 3:28 PM
Update: Started playing again and the 4th/5th world is so creepy! Also, I forgot to add that this game is puzzles galore, not just looking for a part for something, but you actually have to solve puzzles - sort of mini games - to get to almost every thing to work. I really like that aspect, that you have to work for every achievement, it makes it much more fun!

[Post New]by nettieloves_cats on Sep 15, 14 8:46 AM
I really enjoyed everything about this game! I had no tech issues or any other type of issue while playing this game. I had so much fun that I hated to stop playing to go to work and couldn't wait to get out of work to play it. I'm currently playing the extra content of the game and I'm going to hate it to be over! Thanks for a great game!

photograph
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by photograph on Sep 20, 14 9:57 AM
I really liked this game. The puzzles were a treat for me. I enjoyed the vivid colors and music. Had no tech problems.

clhp1
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by clhp1 on Sep 26, 14 6:38 AM
When I reopened the game, it made me start over. Not buying this game.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 27, 14 8:33 PM
Without a working hint button I don't see a reason for playing the game. So it's a no-buy for me. It's strange because I used the custom option and changed the time for the hints and skips. It still doesn't work.

It's too bad because the graphics look nice.

Maybe it works in the HOPs, but it doesn't work anywhere else.

Also, please check the tech issues thread. It is already eight pages long.

Edit: The hint button works when I'm in a close-up (an arrow shows up to indicate I should back out of the close-up) but that is the only place I have seen it work. Why would the game be designed this way?

Edit: I was not allowed to get the harlequin even though I solved the puzzle. What gives? If this game is so well made, why can't I get hints or pick up items? I'm stuck at the beginning and can't progress, even with the SG.

Edit again (:sigh : I started a new profile and suddenly the hint button worked. I like the game although it seems to be very easy so far or else I'm becoming a much better player but I doubt it is the latter. I'm really concerned about the technical problems.

Edited on 10/05/2014 at 8:39:47 AM PST

notdeadyet
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by notdeadyet on Oct 17, 14 12:22 PM
I enjoyed this game although I find the mad scientist plot a bit boring.The graphics are good . I had no problem with the game crashing. I have mac os 10.8. The music is pleasantly unobtrusive.I found the ending in the bonus a bit
hokey.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Nov 21, 14 11:08 AM
I really like this game. the different worlds were amazing. Looking for masks and coins made it more fun,

Go to: