[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 4, 09 2:06 AM
Composing review now, back in a flash.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

Re:TGT - Alchemist's Apprentice

[Post New]by kishimojun on Apr 4, 09 2:13 AM
I liked the match 3 aspect but the game totally lost the sale for me with the minigame.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Apr 4, 09 2:14 AM
Have tried it for 30 minutes. Love the graphics and the game! BUT there seems to be a timer. It hasn't run out on me yet but HATE timers! Just the thought of them takes away a lot of the fun. Can't wait for your review Poodle

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 4, 09 2:33 AM
OMG!!! I just composed this loooong review and hit post and it said, "You can not edit this post. Return to forum" I had edited my original, and it LOST IT!

*sigh*

I'll try again, keeping a copy this time

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Apr 4, 09 2:36 AM
Kishimojun - do you mean the silly "catch the gold" thing? Hated that to. Again - a timer!

Poodle - sorry for your loss - soooo frustrating! Perhaps this time it will post your posting twice! Still waiting with bated breath!

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Apr 4, 09 2:39 AM
At the risk of getting blasted big time in the forums, I don't mind timers. My problem with that stupid leprechaun game was figuring how to aim him "just so". Plenty of times I was under the gold piece with his basket and the game said I missed it. Schnoo on that! I'll go for a game with more clarity.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 4, 09 2:54 AM
You know how when you see a really gorgeous person, and find them terribly attractive, you want to be their friend at the very least? Then, as you approach, you hear the talking and realize they haven't a brain in their head and suddenly they are far less interesting? That pretty much sums up my experience with Alchemist's Apprentice.

The game has truly stunning graphics. On seeing that and knowing it was an HO/Match 3 hybrid I thought, "This has got to be good!" The opening scene is an HO and you count up, so I had hoped that would be the case for the rest but nope, all Match 3 are Timed Only and they make up most of the game. You get an HO "bonus game" after 10 levels of Match 3 each Stage. Now strangly the follow along helper guy, when I began my first bonus HO, said, "Watch out because time is dripping out"? Ewwww. but I did not see a timer, dripping or otherwise, so not sure what happened there.

My growing displeasure with the game was not just because of the timer. In fact the prettiness ended up being a problem because they went nuts at the sparkle store and the special doodads that fuel power-ups were so shiny they made some of the tiles they were attached to hard to discern. Also a hazy wash of light occasionally passes over the board impeding vision as well. The Power-ups are determined by which building you develope for your Alchemist Uncle who has taken a powder and left you in charge BUT since you must do this in order what could have been a nice way to customize becomes moot, at least at the begining. This may have changed later but not through the first stage. I'm not even going to go into the world's most annoying bonus mini-game that happens while you are playing the Match 3s except to say it's pointless and disruptive and doesn't work terribly well.

I can't double down thumb cuz it's just too pretty, but no, not Poodlebear Approved.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 4, 09 2:57 AM
kishimojun wrote:At the risk of getting blasted big time in the forums, I don't mind timers.

Not at all! No blasting from me nor anyone else I don't think. I absolutely accept that there are people who like them and I have never said get rid of timers, just make 'em optional so everybody can play.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Apr 4, 09 3:13 AM
Was sooo hoping you gonna give it a and say that it had many redeming features - but not to be. Will play the other half of the demo and see. Thank you Poodle (you gonna lose that soon?!) from this

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 4, 09 3:24 AM
catsholidayhome wrote:Thank you Poodle (you gonna lose that soon?!) from this

Heck no! I've been a since I was an ! I was a Poodlebear long before I was a fish!

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Apr 4, 09 4:12 AM
Well, played the whole hour now. First impressions wasn't too keen on the game description but due to lack of my type of games lately decided to try it. Fell in love with the graphics, liked the storyline BUT hate the timer, dislike the mini-game and bang on the hour got fed up with it! Such a shame

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Apr 4, 09 4:26 AM
Poodle: "I did not see a timer, dripping or otherwise, so not sure what happened there".

Look at the left side of the screen - there is a "thermometer" with a timer... .
Saw it, and my ulcer began to bleed... .

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 4, 09 4:36 AM
My growing displeasure with the game was not just because of the timer. In fact the prettiness ended up being a problem because they went nuts at the sparkle store and the special doodads that fuel power-ups were so shiny they made some of the tiles they were attached to hard to discern. Also a hazy wash of light occasionally passes over the board impeding vision as well.

That really annoyed me to PB and the fact that I nearly ran out of time because of it. I don't know why they couldn't have made the Timer Optional to suit all tastes. (By the way ithe timer was the long blue tube on the left that was dripping what looked like water.)

Due to both of the above facts and that stupid catching coins but not flowers/branches I will not be buying it which is a shame because it would have been a good game otherwise.

Edited on 04/04/2009 at 4:37:17 AM PST

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 4, 09 4:42 AM
Has anybody figured out how to find out what the different upgrades do before you make them? ONCE I managed to get a pop up before buying one. I had a choice of 4 new upgrades, with no clue what the different ones did.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 4, 09 4:48 AM
No sorry Lord, I just upgraded them all one at a time without taking a lot of notice LOL.

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Apr 4, 09 5:12 AM
This is a pretty match 3. If you are going to make a match 3 don't claim it is HO as well. Not the first time I've seen this done but you don't fool anyone. The HO crowd can find hidden objects but we don't like having to hunt for the HO game. Did you think we'd buy it so we could find 20 pieces of paper?

I find match 3 boring and when the mini game showed up I had to make myself go on to find the rumored HO games. They are too few and far between (not to mention simple) to merit the claim that this is a HO game.

Both of my thumbs down on this.

bep1
Shark
Shark
10,381 Posts

[Post New]by bep1 on Apr 4, 09 6:21 AM
I guess I am in the minority. This is a gorgeous match 3 games, prettiest graphics I have seen in a long time. Like the sound track, didn't mind the little mini-game, though there wasn't much to it. I was impressed. Liked the upgrades though some of them didn't pop up as described. But all in all, I liked this little game.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Apr 4, 09 6:37 AM
This game has beautiful graphics but the bright flashes are like having a flash camera go off in your face every few seconds. I have a huge headache after playing the demo. A big thumbs down for me.

Edited on 04/04/2009 at 6:37:58 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 4, 09 6:42 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Poodle: "I did not see a timer, dripping or otherwise, so not sure what happened there".

Look at the left side of the screen - there is a "thermometer" with a timer... .
Saw it, and my ulcer began to bleed... .

Yes, I know where the Timer was on the Match 3 screens, I was refering to the Timer I was warned about when playing the 2nd HO game. The advisor guy popped up and advised it was going to happen and then warned about a timer but there wasn't one for the Hidden Object part. Are you saying there was a Timer on the left on the HO scenes?

But doesn't matter, long since deleted and I ain't buyin'. (sorry about the ulcer )

jobynana
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,017 Posts

[Post New]by jobynana on Apr 4, 09 6:55 AM
Poodle, your reviews just get better and better! Thank you

Sounds like it may not be for me, but I will give it a try.

Joby

Edited on 04/04/2009 at 6:56:21 AM PST

Go to: