kspes
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

Talk with the developers of Kingdom Tales 2 here!

[Post New]by kspes on Sep 8, 14 3:09 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm a producer at Cateia Games - the developer behind Kingdom Tales 2.

It has already become a tradition for us to chat with you on this forum. I would very much like to hear your comments & suggestions... The more we hear from you, the more improvements we can make for our next game.
We have been doing this for years now - every time we had a new release on Big Fish. And every time we had a chance to hear some great suggestions from you how to improve on our next game.

Keep your comments coming - I'll stay around the forum for a few days and try to catch up with everyone!

best,
Krešimir
Cateia Games

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

Re:Talk with the developers of Kingdom Tales 2 here!

[Post New]by Janette5 on Sep 8, 14 5:39 AM
Just to position myself as to where the comment is coming from, I play time management games for the challenge of getting 3 stars and therefore prefer games where it is all strategy and not just clicking.

I found this game very repetitive and not engaging. I was bored playing the demo simply because it felt like I was just clicking on circles waiting to collect the correct amount of resources and it required nothing from me except to click on the circles above the houses.

I do recommend that you either reduce the amount of resources needed, or put an additional element into the game that will engage the player. It frustrates me when developers lengthen the time people will play their game by simply increasing the resources needed from say 500 gold to 2000 gold for no good reason. Although it did require a constant clicking to click all the circles, it required no thought process - just a mouse action.

Even up to the end of the demo I did not find enough strategy in getting gold / 3 stars, one just had to do everything as quickly as possible and you'd get gold. There was only 1 level that I found the random element of the wheel could affect the gold and there again a random element that can be avoided isn't exactly strategy, although it is a fun addition.

The visuals were stunning, the sound I had turned off, I can't fault the game except that I personally wanted more decisions to make that would affect the outcome.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Sep 8, 14 6:50 AM
Congratulations, Cateia! You've done it again with this engaging sequel. I'm enjoying it as much as I did the first one. And although I'm not very far along in it yet, I'm delighted to see some of the changes you've made that add challenge to the game play.

I've played all of your TM games and I've enjoyed each one of them. Keep up the good work!!

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Sep 8, 14 10:27 AM
Thanks for giving us another charming game! My number one "wish list" item would be the ability to collect rent/feed people by simply mousing over the circle instead of having to click. For someone with arthritis in their hands that can turn into a lot of clicks. Special thanks for the enjoyable music. I generally am driven mad by the repetitive nature of the music in games, but I left the music on for the entire time while i finished the demo. Great job!

nivlem007
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by nivlem007 on Sep 8, 14 1:14 PM
I have the first one and now I own the 2nd. I was doing fine until level 16 which crashed. I will try again and see what happens. I do like this one better and when you get into it with having to make hammers and goodness knows what in the later levels, it has made it more interesting for me. I too love to get three * every time I play a building time game, but I noticed with this one you can upgrade the workers so if you miss a level you can go back when you have fully upgraded the men/workers. I would also like to see a flash over than a click to get the money, food etc. maybe you can put a patch out for it. I don't know. On the whole I like this game and did buy it after only level 4. So a much improved game than the 1st one and thank you for that. I am looking forward to seeing the later levels just to see what other obstacles you have put in the way and what other buildings there might be. Great game is my vote.

kspes
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by kspes on Sep 8, 14 11:00 PM
Hi Everyone, thanks for your kind words

@mgpaquin: Hmm, that does sound like an interesting idea, I'll discuss it with the team.

@nivelem007: If you're experiencing a crash, don't hesitate to contact us, we've put a lot of time into testing the game but something can always slip between the cracks.
---
Krešimir Špes
Cateia Games

mrbass1957
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by mrbass1957 on Sep 9, 14 8:50 AM
I posted this in tech issues, might as well post this here:

Really strange, on the map screen, it skips every other number level. It starts with level 1, then skips to level 3, then 5, 7, 9, etc. It also crashes when you are near the end of the level. It started doing this on level 41. No error messages, just crashes. I am on a Windows 7 Enterprise PC.

Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Sep 9, 14 10:12 AM
I have just played for about 15 minutes, and it is an enjoyable game for me. As for me, I am one of those that do not enjoy "working" to get 3 stars. I like to take my time, relax, and not be pulling my hair out worrying about getting done in time. So, thanks for the relaxed mode.

I agree, it would be good to be able to just mouse over items to collect them. Clicking can get old really fast. For example =

When I got to the first level where I needed (according to the tutorial) 50 "happiness." Well, there I was, clicking away, making those little critters go get food 50 times! It wasn't until I finished that chore that the level would not finish. Don't know what happened to make me think of it, but it dawned on me that maybe I need 50 food in the hut! Taa daa! That did the trick.

What I'm saying is, that it appears that little foodie requirement means two different things - happiness, and storage amount. You might make that a little clearer in the tutorial. Or else I just missed that explanation!

In any case, I'm enjoying the game at my leisure. Really do appreciate the relaxed mode. Now if we could just mouse over.....

Edited to add: Okay, I'm finished with the demo (at least as long as I'm going to play it). I have decided that I will not purchase this game. The reason is that the level I just finished needed $3,000 in gold in order to repair Stonehenge. Well, just clicking on gold from houses for so long does not make a fun game for me. Click to collect gold. Oh goodie! another $150! That gets old really quickly (almost as old as me!) What about awarding a higher rent so it doesn't take so long - or make a larger house available that collects more rent.

All in all, a fun game, except for the waiting and the clicking. Otherwise I would have bought it.

Cordially.

Edited on 09/09/2014 at 12:51:21 PM PST

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Sep 9, 14 1:38 PM
mrbass1957 wrote:I posted this in tech issues, might as well post this here:

Really strange, on the map screen, it skips every other number level. It starts with level 1, then skips to level 3, then 5, 7, 9, etc. It also crashes when you are near the end of the level. It started doing this on level 41. No error messages, just crashes. I am on a Windows 7 Enterprise PC.

Are all your add-ons up to date? Like Adobe Flash? Also, you may want to check for new drivers for your graphics card.

kspes
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by kspes on Sep 9, 14 10:49 PM
mrbass1957 wrote:I posted this in tech issues, might as well post this here:

Very weird... I've forwarded this to the team, they're investigating right now.

MammawJo
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by MammawJo on Sep 10, 14 7:08 PM
I was waiting quite (im)patiently for BF to get this game because I know the folks at Cateia Games come here for a chat.. I was surprised that it took BF so long to release this great game.

I have both of the Kingdom Tales games and have thoroughly enjoyed both; but KT2 is my favorite. I've probably played it more than a dozen times since it's release. It's my new "go to" game. And it looks stunning on my big 55" TV!

It is so refreshing to see a game developer really listen and take to heart what the people who play their games want to see in their games. The changes made in KT2 are proof that Cateia Games try to give the players what they want! While you can never please 100% of the players 100% of the time, KT2 is a shining example of a caring developer.

I quit beta testing a while ago because it seemed the devs really didn't give a hoot about the feedback provided and would just release the game the way it was in beta and wouldn't respond to questions. But if Cateia Games is looking for beta testers, I would love to wile away some time doing testing again.

I see quite a few comments that say they would like to see a "mouseover" to collect rent. That is a gameplay feature that I also like, but wonder if that would work well in this series since you have unlimitied workers. Maybe a "mouseover" could send the worker to collect rent?

The only thing I didn't like in the game was the Wheel of Fortune. It was pretty pointless. And to get the acheivement, those levels had to be replayed using the wheel a couple of times. In all the replays, I never once got anything that helped. At least with the caves, you took a chance on getting something useful and it changed on replay, which made it interesting. Do I take a chance on the cave or not?

The difficulty level even in Extreme is perfect for me. A bit of a challenge but I dont want to loose my mind trying to get all the goals and coming up a millisecond or ten short. Now that the game is established I would also like to see the upgrades to houses and buildings come a bit faster and a few more acheivements. I also vote to continue this series!

Keep putting out quality games like Kingdom Tales 2 and I'l keep buying them! And thanks for always stopping by for a chat. It means a lot!

[Post New]by boris_mikic on Sep 10, 14 11:10 PM
Hello MammawJo,

We thank you for your kind words. We are trying to do our best. As you said, it's impossible to please 100% of the players 100% of the time, but that doesn't mean we can't try. The harder we try, the better our games get regardless of the results and in the end, improvement over our own previous games is what we should strive for.

The mouse-over thing would king of make the game too easy and too simple. Also, since the game is going to be released on tablets and mobile phones in the future, it would become useless as on these platforms you have to tap the screen either way. This is why we decided that it's better to keep a consistent experience over all platforms as the gameplay in its most basic form is "click here to make something happen".

The Wheel of Fortune was an experiment. Depending on the feedback we receive, we will decide if we are going to keep a similar feature in future games or not. Part of developing games and sequels always comes down to experimentation. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

When we balanced the Extreme time limits for the game, we took the fastest times that we had available from alpha and beta testing and added 30 seconds to that time. We're glad you like it! Our previous games would sometimes be called too easy, but rarely too hard. Since making them harder would not be the best solution, we decided to make the Normal mode a bit easier, but also include an Extreme mode for those who wish a true challenge (which is more difficult than the standard difficulty in our previous games).

---
Boris Mikic
Cateia Games

MammawJo
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by MammawJo on Sep 12, 14 10:21 AM
Just another quick comment about the caves. It would be nice if after you have explored the cave, you could click or hover over it to get info about what was in the cave (if anything). Most times, I miss seeing the popup and I'm always wondering what, if anything, was in that cave!

[Post New]by boris_mikic on Sep 14, 14 11:22 PM
That's not a bad suggestion. We'll keep it in mind.

---
Boris Mikic
Cateia Games

Edited on 09/14/2014 at 11:43:01 PM PST

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Sep 18, 14 12:40 AM
Ya know I really like this game. In fact, I was pining away for a TM game for so long that I cheated on Big Fish & got this at another site oh...way back when. I was surprised to see that BF only just recently acquired it.
I wonder how that works...

I think the game is great. Nothing about it I would change. The reason I'm even writing is because I want a chance to tell the developers of this and shoot, anyone who makes games, (note the punctuation there LOL) to please come out with more of the same!!

There's a drastic shortage in adventure and RPG games and a shortage of TMs. I basically will take just about anything that doesn't involve searching for lost items because those are just... come on. (Well, I don't typically play Match 3 game, either but at least theyre not issued at a 60 to 1 rate vs. other genres.)

georgiarealist
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by georgiarealist on Sep 18, 14 6:39 PM
As far as the Wheel of Fortune thing, it would be ok if it were set to only give things that are useful in the level being played (or nothing, of course). Since the items don't seem to carry over from one level to the next, it's a bit annoying to get a couple hundred of something that isn't called for on one level and then find you could have used it on another one.

[Post New]by fairhavenfish01 on Sep 20, 14 12:36 PM
Just wanted to say that I am enjoying the game greatly. I've gotten through all the levels on untimed, through 39 with 3 gold stars on each level, and through 30 with the platinum.

I love that there are different "skill" levels, so that I can practice to get everything. I also truly appreciate that you are responding to comments, AND giving help on the threads that are asking for help for specific levels. That is great customer care.

Great job!!!

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Sep 21, 14 6:17 PM
Brilliant! Many thanks to all the talented individuals at Cateia! It is wonderful to see Kresimir and Boris check in here to chat with us. Thank you all for your time and dedication to producing a quality product.

My comments are based upon completing the entire game in "Normal" and "Extreme" mode, then returning to do it all again! :-)

I loved:

1. The voice-over in the opening scene. This just grabs your attention.
2. The game plays in HD - no annoying "black bars" !
3. "Homescreen" graphics with our Princess and Finn in the foreground were outstanding! The Princess and Finn looked like Disney characters, and the background artistry was exemplary. The details in buildings, characters, even the pack mule, and flowing water behind were all remarkable.
4. The timer doesn't start until the first mouse click after the tutorial.
5. Being able to hover over the objectives on the side of the screen so I know what I need to accomplish in a level.
6. Unlimited workers. This is very helpful if you have enough resources to complete multiple tasks at once.
7. Quick load between levels!!!!
8. Progress on a level is saved.
9. Clear and concise tutorial that can quickly be turned off. (I liked that I could "cheat" a little in the tutorials by getting buildings established or resources stocked before the timer even started.) ;-)
10. Can quickly skip through dialogue.
11. Hidden treasure! I loved the extra bonus materials when I found the treasure....but didn't know about it until 8 levels in to the game! I thought that the "hidden gold" that was buried in the ground was the treasure. I couldn't understand why I wasn't getting credit for finding it on the levels and thought that it was a glitch. I discovered, accidentally, that the sparkles indicated the hidden treasure. In this type of game, most are focused on tasks rather than "sparkles". It was not until level 12 that the "Tip" regarding the hidden treasure is revealed. This should be in the tutorial, especially since there is hidden treasure in every level. We should know about it immediately in the game.
12. Complexity, strategy, and multi-task/planning ability later in the game. (The "gentle" learning curve should not fool those who have played only the demo, or portion of the demo, in to believing that there is no strategy or challenge in this game).

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Sep 21, 14 7:01 PM
13. "Lions, tigers and bears..oh my..." Not exactly, but..... we do have griffons, dragons, witches, boars, evil mushrooms, dark trees, thieves and henchmen. Did I miss some?? ;-)
14. Great replay value... I am already in to my second re-play, and still having fun! I've had 20 hours of fun play, and was definitely offered a challenge;-)
15. You don't have to play the entire game to play in a different mode. I loved that I could play a level in normal mode, then immediately play in extreme mode if I so chose.

I didn't like:

1. That the workers ran back to the town hall after completing a task, such as up-grading a building, even though I had clicked to immediately upgrade.
2. Clicking on debris, then having to click on "clear" to actually clear debris.
3. Resources: often having to purchase significantly more than I needed, e.g. having to buy 400 units of wood when I just needed 20 units of wood to complete a level/task.
4. The Spin Wheel and Caves: To me they were a complete waste of time and valuable gold. Just like Vegas...they rarely paid out! ;-)
5. I loved the sound of the rain and thunder, but couldn't turn off the annoying hammering noises.

What I would like to see:

1. To hover over "enemies" (see above griffons, dragons, witches, boars etc..) and see what is required to defeat them. (Note: Many times throughout the game, I had to start at the beginning of a level because I had no idea that I would need a well, or a market to defeat an enemy.)
2. More levels!!!! This is a quality game that ended much too quickly. I would love to see at least 60 levels.
3. Houses continuing to generate taxes, as they are being up-graded.
4. Same worker can immediately up-grade buildings without having to run back to home base.
5. Ability to turn off all sounds except for "nature" sounds, i.e. rain, thunder, birds..

I've probably forgotten a few things, but overall, this is an outstanding game that should not be overlooked by TM/strategy fans.

So, when will we see this available for purchase for ipad?

[Post New]by boris_mikic on Sep 22, 14 3:04 AM
Hello NIMHURCHU,

Thank you for your feedback. Some of your suggestions seem like a good idea. If we make another game like this or a sequel, we will be sure to take them into consideration.

---
Boris Mikic
Cateia Games

Go to: