catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dream Catchers: The Beginning here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 10, 14 12:58 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 09/10/2014 at 6:13:25 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dream Catchers: The Beginning here!

[Post New]by nomatt on Sep 10, 14 1:21 AM
A real blast from the past. This game looks so old I'm surprised it isn't in black and white. It plays in a box in the middle of my screen despite my selecting full screen. Just a very dated affair I'm afraid. No wonder there is a half price sale. Sorry but no thanks.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Sep 10, 14 1:28 AM
I haven't heard of these Devs before (Been Trell or Been Troll? Not too sure on the name), but for a presumably first effort, it's not too bad.

I have only played the demo, and it seems to be a fairly easy game. I did have to skip a couple of puzzles though (one was a sliding tiles - can never do those)

The colours are bright and sharp, there are no voiceovers, and so far, not too much reading to do (mainly in some cut scenes). The music was unobtrusive and the hint button doesn't take too long in Casual mode to recharge. The sparkles for the hos' are also unobtrusive

The story does have a bit of a twist on the usual 'must rescue my relative' games, which I quite liked. I am a bit on the fence about buying this game, mainly because I have no idea how long it is. Perhaps when some more reviews come in, I will be able to make up my mind, lol.

As always, try before you buy, lol.

Jen

Oops, I quite forgot about the smaller playing screen! I did notice it at the start, but it wasn't long before I forgot about it and just played the game (I have a 24" monitor, so yes, the 'box' did stand out, but the graphics are very pretty, lol).

Edited on 09/10/2014 at 1:31:50 AM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 10, 14 1:33 AM
Probably THE worst game I've ever tried to play in an extremely long time.

There is no flow to the story, no continuity, no sense of direction, no SENSE. The characters talk AT you in a one-sided conversation. Oh, and no talking, just reading. You just end up places with no reasoning as to why you're there, what you're doing, why you're looking at the things you are and why you pick up the items you do.

What is the significance of the amulet? What does it do besides sit in your inventory? There's a Dream Catcher in one of the HOGs. What's the significance of that, if any? What a great idea to have collectible Dream Catchers - Devs missed a bet there. HOW do you end up in your sister's dreams? And, is it really a "dream" if she's been in a coma (called "unconscious") for weeks? Why do you go where you do? What are you setting out to do? To find out? These are all questions that are usually either answered or alluded to during the first few minutes of any decent game. Giving you some sense of the game. Why you're playing it. You get NOTHING. Things just happen randomly.

Besides all the above (and more, check out my review when it's posted), this game is a definite, absolute, without a doubt, NOT a purchase for me. Nor did I recommend it. Grade-schoolers could have put together a better game. Shoot, I (stress the "I") could have put together a better game and I am computer illiterate.

Can't wait to read what everyone else thinks.

gernespieler
Catfish
Catfish
1,615 Posts

[Post New]by gernespieler on Sep 10, 14 1:55 AM
BigFish in what drawer corner did you find this game ? It is completely outdated, slow and the content makes no sense at all to me . I really must agree with everything mrm2006 wrote about this game !

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Sep 10, 14 3:57 AM
10 min of demoing was plenty of time not to buy this disaster of a game! Agree, 100%, with mrm2006 reviews. I think we've all been trolled by a R****** developer calling themselves "Boon Troll."

debraljensen
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by debraljensen on Sep 10, 14 4:06 AM
Reading the reviews it feels like I am not playing the same game.
I like the colors. The story line I want to find out more, sleeping sickness. I am guessing the amulet helps me not fall under the spell and sleep.
hey its a Tuesday not the best games come out.
I bought it to play and kill time until I have other choices

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Sep 10, 14 5:23 AM
debraljensen wrote:Reading the reviews it feels like I am not playing the same game.
I like the colors. The story line I want to find out more, sleeping sickness. I am guessing the amulet helps me not fall under the spell and sleep.
hey its a Tuesday not the best games come out.
I bought it to play and kill time until I have other choices
I like the game too. It's not so bad! The HOS are clear. Only thing, I find the story line a bit strange. Give it a try!

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Sep 10, 14 5:55 AM
I agree dobbie and debra, this is a nice little game to pass the time. I am getting it.

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Sep 10, 14 6:14 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dream Catchers: The Beginning here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dream Catchers: The Beginning.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 10, 14 7:26 AM
gernespieler wrote:BigFish in what drawer corner did you find this game ? It is completely outdated, slow and the content makes no sense at all to me . I really must agree with everything mrm2006 wrote about this game !

To you as well, swedane, many, many thanks for your support of my review/thoughts.

To those who enjoy and want to purchase the game. Happy Gaming! These games aren't meant to please everybody. Reviews are just an individual's thoughts on the games. Appreciate reading all the ones that are positive.

Have a lovely day!

Edited on 09/10/2014 at 7:34:02 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Sep 10, 14 7:35 AM
bbelle wrote:I agree dobbie and debra, this is a nice little game to pass the time. I am getting it.

And it's going better and better.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Sep 10, 14 9:56 AM
I prefer to play a game with substance than one that is just pretty and flashy. Just as long as the story is good it doesn't matter to me how old a game looks.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Sep 10, 14 10:50 AM
I found that the game moved very slowly. It seemed that the HOS took too long to disappear. I also felt the game was dug out of a closet. No buy even with sale.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 10, 14 1:39 PM
A HUMP DAY PUFF PIECE FILLED WITH "DREAM" WHIP INSTEAD OF REAL WHIPPED CREAM

It's Hump Day and time for our weekly leftover dinner. This week, on the menu, we have a delightful little "dream" puff dessert from a new dev, I have not seen before. As I have written previously devs, if you are new to this site, you do not get a nickname.

STORY: You are the sibling to Mia, a teacher at a boarding school. Not receiving any letters from her in some time, you decide to drive to this school to investigate. As you drive, the sky becomes ominous and you encounter a dark, mysterious stranger. Trying to avoid hitting him, your car skids off a cliff. Surviving the crash, you search the environment and meet with a woman who informs you that you are in a "dream state." The "shadowy" figure continues to make its appearance and may be a demon.

SOUND AND GRAPHICS: There are no voiceovers in this game. The "muzac" consists of piano strings with a chorus of "oohs and ahs." The graphics are brightly colorful and decent; however, there is a black bar apparent in the play. The technology is "old school." HOWEVER - DO NOT ASSUME THIS IS AN OLD GAME. Some devs just don't provide all the "bells and whistles" we have come to expect in the CE casual games.

HOP SCENES: Basically they are "junk piles." There is no interaction and there are an equal number of these with the puzzle sequences.

PUZZLES: I encountered two "slider" puzzles in the demo which we have seen before. I would consider them of intermediate difficulty.

EXTRA GOODIES: Are you kidding? - this is a coupon game. This is basically a "no frills" game. There is no map, no collectibles and no morphing objects. But on the positive note - there are also no "helpers" either.

For those who like "old school" games, you will like this game. This is not a bad game but will await tomorrow's game instead. The GamERS' entry tomorrow (which I beta tested) is excellent - so act on it before these devs go back to their old habits.

I RATE THIS GAME 4 DREAM PUFFS OUT OF 5 DREAM PUFFS FOR AN SE.

Edited on 09/10/2014 at 1:49:43 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 10, 14 3:54 PM
Hi all. Well, I was looking forward to a nice SE for a change, but... This one has pretty good graphics, for a cartoon like picture. Looks sort of like there were two separate drawings that were just placed over each other for a complete picture. Does that make sense? Graphics are clear and clean. Colors are very bright...almost too bright, which makes it very tiring on the eyes very quickly. Game play was good, no problems. There are no voice overs, which this one could have used, and a lot of reading. It does have nice sound FX. Music wasn't too bad, but got annoying after a while.

HOPs were straight forward and quite simple. Items were easy to find. HOPs were very quiet in that there was no ding, ring, snap, jingle or click when you find something. The item just fades away, so if you don't pay attention, you may not realize you found an it. Puzzles were very simple and nothing new. At first, this seemed like an old game, but did not have the click penalty that the old ones had. There is a compass, which is no help at all. All it does it point directions you can take and often points to multiple locations...choose one. Hint is far more helpful, but does take a while to recharge.

The story and game didn't feel like it flowed well. There was no reason why things happened. One minute you walk into a room, faint and wake up somewhere else. Okay, why? This might, and I say might, be an okay game for a beginner, but definitely is a no for me. There was nothing that kept my interest or made me want more, so no buy today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 10, 14 5:30 PM
The graphics are sharp and clear although the game doesn't accommodate a wide screen. The music is subdued and fits the theme of the story. Atmospheric sounds are minimal but what's there is well done. There are no voice overs which, to me, is better than having poorly done ones.

I, like many others, found the storyline a little confusing. I think what the developer was going for is a story that's going back and forth between our character doing things in her real world and being transported by dreams to another. At times they achieved an almost surreal feel but often I just felt lost. The story unfolds through cut scenes and monologues from other people our character meets.

The inventory collection component of the game has quite a bit of back and forth running around. Tasks are familiar from other HOPA games and aren't difficult to figure out. Objectives were less clear so, at times, even though I knew what specific thing to do, I didn't really know what I was trying to achieve by doing it. These issues, in combination with a lack of clarity in the storyline, made the pace of the game feel slow. There was no sense of moving forward towards a known goal.

The puzzles and HOS were better than we usually see in games these days in my opinion. The HOS are list finds or ones where you see a miniature version of what you need to find in the scene. I like this kind of HOS and did not mind a bit that none were interactive. They ranged up to moderately challenging and not one was the super easy kind that seems to be becoming the norm lately. The puzzles were of varying type and also ranged up to moderately challenging. None were too easy.

The user interface worked very smoothly. This game functions far more smoothly than several other games that have recently come out which displayed very frustrating point and click precision issues. I wish all developers could understand that no one wants to search an entire pop up box for a two pixel sweet spot without any visual cue that indicates where it is. This developer seems to understand that and there is none of that fussiness in this game.

Overall, I found it difficult to rate this game. Graphics, sound, game functionality, puzzles, and HOS were all good. The storyline and too much backtracking in the inventory collection component were drawbacks. I give it 3.5 stars. It's better than the usual but it could use some work in my opinion.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Sep 10, 14 7:28 PM
It is rare that I find a demo that gives me that feeling of needing to know what happens next. It isn't always the story (it could have been more clearly explained), but whatever it is, this game has it! Even if you think it looks "old" it does not play "old." And even if it does look "old" (I don't think it does), if it's fun, who cares? Some of the best games now are still games from the past!

I AGREE as well as the comments in some of the more positive reviews... this one has more of an adventure game 'feel' to it than many of the flashier games with lots of hand holding and, further, we, as gamers, are not necessarily supposed to have all the answers 'up front' that is the whole reason for pushing forward to find the answers, thus, perhaps giving it that feeling of 'all over the place'... well that's how dreams are, afterall. This one left me with enough desire to want to find out the answers so....

Worth a credit [at least] and definitely worth the time to explore.

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Sep 11, 14 2:38 AM
Well I have just finished the game and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Each dream you entered was so different. The graphics were second to none. I loved the clear hidden objects and the puzzles were just right for me. This is definitely in my "play again folder" and I will look out for these Devs again.

I am not good at doing reviews, but I appreciate the ones you fishies do. Just wanted to say how much I liked it.

Linda

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Sep 12, 14 1:43 PM
The previews and write-ups about this game looked most promising,
and as I'm accustomed, I dove right in and purchased it.
Have 23" Monitor, so lots of Blue-Space, but I can live with that given a good game.
The Graphics are quite nice, and colorful....pleasing - not harsh on the eyes.
The music is well done and fits the mood, except for the times when it sounds like
2 different tracks competing at 2 different tempos.
Was a good story-line, with lots of possibilities, but the Devs seem to have lost the flow somewhere.
Sad to say, but at this point in the game (pg 10 in the Diary, another dungeon HOS) I've been very disappointed.
(I'm playing the 2nd Difficulty Level.)
When gathering an item or checking your inventory, it's necessary to pick the item up to get any info on it, including a name.
Like others I don't like hand-holding, however this game leaves you hi-n-dry
with no logical indication story-wise as to where to turn next.
I suppose, being an Adventure/Mystery Gamer at heart, maybe my thoughts/views are different -
but as I see it this was a wee bit of a story wrapped round many HOS scenes.
Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I'm just calling it the way I see it.
=^,,^=
the kat

Go to: