catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Maestro: Dark Talent here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 11, 14 12:53 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 09/11/2014 at 7:28:47 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Maestro: Dark Talent here!

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 11, 14 2:21 AM
OPERATIC RENDITION OF "GHOULS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN" (SORRY TO CINDY LAUPER)

BASED ON THE BETA TEST

The GamERS have "risen from the grave" in this "phantasmic" opera offering. To me, this game is one of their finest in some time. Banished from the setting are helpers.

STORY This is "Ghouls' Night Out" as you play a detective called in by your friend Kate to attend "spirited" concert with her family. An operatic diva has seemingly "risen from the dead." Every time she sings she drains the life energy from everyone who listens to her voice. The audience becomes apathetic and easily controlled. Behind the curtains is an evil mastermind whose hunger for revenge needs to be stopped.

LEVELS: There are three levels of play - Apprentice, Performer, and Virtuoso with NO ABILITY TO CUSTOMIZE.

SOUND : The "muzac" may be annoying to some and you will probably want to turn it off. It is operatic with a mezzo soprano bellowing and moaning from time-to-time. Added to this are the barking and howling of dogs at the beginning of the game.

GRAPHICS : The graphics are softly muted as they are in most of the dev's games. Most scenes are beautifully drawn and items are easy to locate. This is another "dark" fog-mist game. There is a lot of black smoke which I hope is not harmful to your lungs.

MEDALLION: At the beginning of the game you receive a medallion to fight the dark forces fwhich must be charged from time-to-time with gems you locate throughout the game.

HOP SCENES, PUZZLES AND INVENTORY: The HOP scenes and inventory are both interactive and vary throughout the game. There is the search for number of similar items, and items which must be found to complete an action before moving on to another item on the list. This game is puzzle-lite - most being interactive stories.
[
MAP: I personally hated the map. You must hold your mouse over the large orange circles on the map and they will indicate if there is an action to be performed there.

EXTRA GOODIES; You collect 6 dark ghostly items for the collection and there are 13 achievements you earn as well.

This is what I would rate an "easy" game with no mind-boggling elements. This is a nice spook-fest and got me into the Halloween 'spirit."

NOW TO GET INTO THE SPIRIT OF RATING THIS GAME. I BELIEVE THAT 4 GHOULS OUT OF 5 GHOULS WOULD LIKE THIS GAME. I THINK YOU GUYS WILL LIKE IT TOO.

Edited on 09/11/2014 at 2:34:12 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 11, 14 3:26 AM
I am a huge fan of ERS! I think they make some of the most beautiful animated people in any game. The graphics are always stunning! I never tire of this great Series. I will always add them to my library.

With this said...I have to say...that this one is even better than some others in the Series. You know your getting the same style graphics and animations with this series...but why change a great thing. When something works...and is so beautiful...don't change it! The story line is so beautifully creepy and scary!

You get the usual extras with the CE Edition:
Yes: Widescreen/Full screen
Yes: Sound/Music/Effects
Yes: Map
Yes: Collectables/Extras/Achievements
3 - Modes of Play: Casual/Advanced/Hard
Theme: beautiful seductive creepy brilliant Mystery!
I highly Recommend this Winner! But, always try the game for yourself.

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"

“These are my “ACRONYMS” terms for Hogs, I Hogs, frogs & Adventure games.

“DIVINE FINE SWINE”
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game.
It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot. LOL

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)
I recommend this game!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 11, 14 6:11 AM
This is based on playing for about 40 minutes.

Starting with the negative, Kate's voice actor isn't very good. Not bad but she sounds more like she's reading a recipe than actually acting. The story isn't particularly original or interesting but still serviceable to hang the game play around.

The good far outweighs the bad. Creepy ghost animation. Their grasping little hands look real when they reach out toward you and that vine covering the front door recoils into a disturbing face. Really well done artwork as usual. The hidden object scenes are a thing of beauty, very clever interactive components make you use your brain to figure cause and effect.

I'll be looking forward to purchasing this if/when we get another weekend sale.

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Sep 11, 14 7:28 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Maestro: Dark Talent here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Maestro: Dark Talent.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:16:20 AM PST

siscokid
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

Love it!

[Post New]by siscokid on Sep 11, 14 8:08 AM
I won't go into the schematics of the game, I leave that for the experts. They are much more adept than I in narrative descriptives, and for that I thank them all for taking the time to do such a great job. (You know who you are, BisquitsMaMa, LoveToMissLisa, cbtx, Nilosh, etc., I know I missed some of the top contributor's, my apologies, you guys ROCK!

As for me, I started the gameplay and quit the game on the very first puzzle. I was hooked. Immediately purchased and stopped on the interim to tell y'all how thrilled I am with this game! Something I NEVER do...ever!
The graphics are lovely, creepy, and the storyline grabs you in and makes you want more. As the game progresses, I truly hope I will not regret this outstanding review. I'm heading back in now, I will get back to my fellow gamers/fishies and let you know if my opinion has changed.

As an aside, I am in no way a "professional" graphics designer, nor an actress, or anything else that would have to do with the creativity of a game, although I've been known to spin out a pretty good yarn or two...however that still does not qualify me to be so judgemental on the persnickety opinion like voice-overs or in MY humble opinion or the way the story line un-folds etc. From what I understand, some of these games take a YEAR or better to come to fruition and all for our discerning tastes of all kinds. I applaud the efforts to try and make a game come together to try and please all of us, but I live in the real world and know that is NOT gonna happen! I'm sure these people give it their all, I'm just glad it's not like a Betty Boop voice or something...then I would have something to ponder over as to "what were they thinking?"

ERS- Back pat-able...high five yourselves, if for anything sometimes when you get an attaboy, or a "job well done" in your efforts, it's all worth the hard work. And I for one, Thank you for that!

Addendum: Yes, total agreement with the not so challenging gameplay. Sometimes after a "Oh man, I cannot believe I survived this day" kind of thing...this is just the game that is called for. I usually don't gravitate towards that kind of gameplay...but the graphics were so lovely, I especially enjoyed the creepy ghostly hands/images etc., that I was able to overlook the non-challenging aspect of the game. If you don't want a cerebral workout, this is the game for you. If you want to play without frustration, this is the one.

Edited on 09/13/2014 at 5:41:06 AM PST

eyesore
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by eyesore on Sep 11, 14 8:25 AM
Really liked the demo but finished much too quickly so not sure if will like longer version or not. Prefer more hidden object games as a rule; however, the graphics are so good and the puzzles (dreaded) are not too difficult soooo... probably will purchase next time I treat myself.

I do have a question: Where are the ghostly objects? What are they...morphing or just hidden? I did not see any.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Sep 11, 14 9:05 AM
Based on Demo:

Very engaging story w/ a good flow (at least in the demo) and music worthy of its theme. For once, I played w/ sound on and must say, it definitely adds to the ghoulish intrigue. Graphics are usual ERS standard but could have been a bit more crisp IMO. HOPs in demo were too simple and easy + puzzles were decent.

The only hellish part is the map; such a pain in the eye. I gave up on it to use hints which took a while to recharge (Apprentice mode).

For moi, it's a definite buy as a SE since I don't care for the CE extras. I couldn't spot any of the ghostly objects post-tutorial.

sunnyglow wrote:OPERATIC RENDITION OF "GHOULS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN" (SORRY TO CINDY LAUPER)

Sung to the tune of:
Oh, ERS dear, you know you're still number one w/ ghouls that wanna have fun, whoa, ghouls just wanna have......

@sunnyglow, thanks for the laffs!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Sep 11, 14 10:42 AM
Didn't enjoy at all.... too many silly and weird elements 'thrown' in here and there from the very beginning... ie. some kind of box behind the fence [items and scenerios that were way too random and therefore not immersive for me]; 'corny' dialogue; an animal in the alley; overall very weak and did not engross me at all.

Oh, and speaking of zzz.. I am just SO tired of the old fashioned and other-worldly themes I can't justify purchasing yet another game with the same ole same ole.....

... conclusion: PASS!! and I doubt even as a SE.

PS: notice I say "ME" in this review [and in most of my others]... please do not 'diss' my review because it does not agree with yours or reviewers you happen to like. As I've stated in most of my reviews, "If you enjoy it, enjoy!" I'm happy for you to have a game you can play and have fun with... yet > I < did NOT like this game at all. NOPE...

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 11, 14 11:21 AM
Hi all. Well, we have the 4th edition to the Maestro series and yes, I have the other 3 already. Must be getting close to Halloween with this one. I played in apprentice mode to get the feel of the game and found that the graphics were quite nice. Colors are a bit muted, but it fits the story line with ghosts and such. If you don't like things jumping out at you, then you won't like this game. It doesn't happen much, but it does happen. Game play was very good until the hint/skip button froze up on me, which is a bit maddening. Music was nice and appropriate for what was happening at the time in the game. Voice overs were not as good as they could have been. Most sounded like they were just reading and had no hint of emotion or fear in them...the scream was very good.

There are no dogs or cats to help you out, but there is an otter that shows up now and then. Mostly, you are finding gems to recharge a medallion that helps eliminate the bad ghosts and spirits that are in your way. Unfortunately, you can only use it once and then you are out of power until you find more gems, so spirits float around in the meantime.

HOPs were fun and changed each time you played them, from standard to where do I go, to find 12 of this or that, etc. Makes it more fun than just a straight HOP. Items were not difficult to find, but some did take some thought to search out. Puzzles were fun and some were a little challenging, but mostly the same. SG is the standard set up. Jump map is nice, except that areas of interest were not marked properly. They are marked with an exclamation mark, but you can't see it just by looking at the map, you have to put your cursor on the area and see if there is an ! on it. Someone got very lazy on this one.

The only collectibles I see are the 11 ghostly items that pop up now and then. You can see what they are in the "collectibles" section of the game. So far, I only found one, so either they are not as easy to see as you may think, or I'm just missing them. This game drew me in from the spooky beginning, is challenging enough to keep me interested. I find the need to add this one to my collection...but only if the dead hint/skip button gets fixed. I think all levels of players will find this one challenging.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 11, 14 12:44 PM
I beta tested this game some time ago; I didn't remember what I said about it at the time, so gave the demo a whirl to remind myself whether or not I liked it.

Unfortunately it all came back to me soon enough. Yet another in this developer's apparently endless series of games that plays pretty much exactly the same as the last one and the one before that and so on and so on. I lasted just over 30 minutes before the silliness of the story and the repetitive nature of the game-play got too much.

The graphics are nice enough, as are the simple puzzles and HOS and it's all very typical of this developer. And perhaps that's the real problem; it's all just too familiar and too easy with no real challenge. At least there was no helper but there was a gadget to be used (which has become another thing ERS seem to be adding to every game lately). Some places you could use it, some you couldn't; I never knew which was which.

I'm sure many will like this game but it's not for me and even the SE will be a no buy. Long past time the Maestro retired and made way for something new. And I see on the main page it has 5 of these ; I must have played a different game.

Edited on 09/11/2014 at 12:47:54 PM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Sep 11, 14 1:58 PM
Graphics - clear, bright

Gameplay - very smooth

HO scenes - find by shadow/interactive name list/find x of y
[or play a pairing game instead]

Puzzles - lots of them and fairly good, some easy, some to think about

Voiceovers - I've heard worse but not the best

Map - shows active areas and completed areas

Collections - ghostly items i.e. structures shrouded in black smoke. There are only 11 (I think) so they will be spread through the game but should be fairly easy to spot.

Achievements - not many but all achievable if you don't use hint/skip in puzzles/ho's - there is not the usual find 3 in 3 secs etc - and you only have to play in 1 mode to get all of them [annoys me when you have to play the game more than once to get all achievements].

Having said that, one of the achievements is "collect all emotions in the flask" - no idea what that is about.

One of my pet hates is getting an achievement for playing the tutorial. I play the tutorial in a demo so I know what's what. I don't like to play the tutorial when I start again after buying. No achievement for playing the tutorial in this game

Inventory bar - can be locked in place

Hint/skip - you got to make sure you highlight the word before you click.

My opinion - looking forward to playing this one!

[Post New]by NancySusan on Sep 11, 14 3:15 PM
I'm really not sure about this one. Story, an operatic (well, that's what it says, but she's really a lyric soprano who sings a lot of woo-woo tunes) diva now going by the name of Diva, is re-animated and has dastardly powers with her voice. I made it to 68 minutes of the demo before it ended, and I got up several times during game play to do some brief tasks. I played on middle difficulty, and it was fine. The only collectibles I found were (apparently) items that became smoky, and I only found the one during the demo. You can go to a collectible location and see what they are, a town square with outlines of the ones you haven't found yet. Sorry for those who think criticizing the voice actors isn't nice, but I am an actor and singer (who's actually studied opera), and Kate was truly awful. Little emotion and the kind of voice which makes you begin to hope bad things happen to her. I liked the variety in both mini-games and their versions of HOP's, which ranged from an actual HOP (I played "match 2"), to outlines, etc. Nice. The color was somewhat washed out, which surprised me, since ERS is one developer Nvidia on my computer loves, and like DanceMom1, my hint button froze at one point (my skip seemed o.k.), and I exited the game and when I went back in the hint button was fine but I can see that becoming a problem. I'm sort of on the fence about this -- but I suspect given the real lack of collectibles, I'll wait for the SE. Then the silliness and Kate's voice won't drive me too crazy.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 11, 14 3:19 PM

Dark Talent Comes In Shades of Gray

The setting is an unnamed European city. Your friend Kate Helbreit has invited you to a concert. Unbeknownst to her, a mysterious Master of evil has resurrected a Diva, Marianne Selfridge (the Dark Talent). Those who listen to the Diva's singing fall under a spell and are subject to manipulation by the Master. This evil also has power over many ghosts, and these ghosts can possess inanimate objects. The Master wants revenge upon the people of the city for some perceived wrong that occurred long ago, etc. Another character we meet is called a Knowing One. There is an amulet to repel the ghosts that requires recharging after use.

Despite dark the story line, most adults would probably not consider the "tone" of the game to be seriously scary.

The game opens on the "enter your name" screen limited to 8 characters . After the opening cut scene which shows the Diva being revived, we find ourselves outside the opera house. If you had not known the developer, this scene bears its unmistakeable signature. While it is a nice look, it is also not easy to distinguish from othER gameS by the same developer.

There are 19 puzzles and 10 hidden object scenes. The puzzles should not be too hard for most players, but some may want more of a challenge (ahem). Those presented during the trial were standard ones seen in other games. Hidden Objects vary from simple list types. There is interaction, progression and find 12 of something - though I found the one in the trial to be not too challenging.

The CE has collectible items which populate a separate room, but I could not determine exactly what they were though I did collect one. Thirteen achievements as well, some real and others just for showing up. Map? sorry, I did not have the need to look.

I completed the demo with 47 minutes remaining while playing at a leisurely pace on the second of three difficulty levels. Based on that I have some concern about the length of the game. I have generally liked the Maestro series, owning two earlier games: Notes of Life and Music of Death.

I would rate this as just a solid "score" in the Maestro series. Not bad, but not one of particular "note" either.

I'll wait for the "understudy" SE. Three Diva's out of five

Edited on 09/13/2014 at 9:25:39 AM PST

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on Sep 11, 14 4:33 PM
I have always loved ERS games, but this one was flawed with the hint/skip button.
This can be rectified on my laptop, by returning to main Menu, and going back to the game, until it happens again!
This is not something I would expect from ERS.
Having said that, I am persevering, and enjoying the game.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 11, 14 4:49 PM
FORTUNATUS wrote: notice I say "ME" in this review [and in most of my others]... please do not 'diss' my review because it does not agree with yours or reviewers you happen to like. As I've stated in most of my reviews, "If you enjoy it, enjoy!" I'm happy for you to have a game you can play and have fun with... yet > I < did NOT like this game at all. NOPE...

Can someone explain how the "quote" button works? No matter how much I try I can't get it to work right anymore.

Definitely agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion and games are not meant to please everyone. NO ONE should be disrespected just because they don't prefer one game to another that may be popular for everyone else. So sorry if that ever happened to you FORTUNATUS.

This game is def a purchase for me, although "VOID" didn't work out for me. The others were great. Getting the CE is a def also even though I don't think the extra "bling" is worth it. One of the previous games in this series was so difficult for me I had to rely on the strategy guide - which I NEVER do.

Thanks to all who contributed their thoughts on the game. Didn't get to play the demo so this time I have to rely on everyone's opinions.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 11, 14 8:05 PM
This game has such lovely graphics that it's truly so unfortunate that they are coupled with a boring cookie cutter storyline, a boring cookie cutter run back and forth inventory collection component, really annoying HOS with constant interaction and no "find-it" challenge, simple, tedious puzzles where it's obvious they just want to take your time up rather than make you think, and pop-up interactive boxes that require such precise placement of the cursor to find the invisible spot that makes something happen that they're just frustrating.

At the very least the coding on the pop-ups should be perfect with this level of sophistication in the graphics. But it's just not. For Pete's sake...make your point and click work without this annoying clicking around for the two pixels you've designated as the correct spot.

Yes, the game is beautiful to look at. Other than that it is boring, fussy, and too easy. There aren't enough real HOS here to make this a HOPA. And please, please, fix the user-interface at least.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Sep 12, 14 12:06 AM
Yet another formula game from ERS. They do them very well but it is just more same old same old. I thought the puzzles were so easy as to almost be insulting. No buy for me.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Short and not a difficult game to play

[Post New]by pgillenw on Sep 12, 14 12:11 AM
I was a bit disappointed that the game was indeed short I finished it in 1 days time and my game play was interrupted with other daily activities. The game gave me no real challenge. I did not use the map. I never had to open the SG.

jaylake
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by jaylake on Sep 12, 14 12:16 AM

As above I was disappointed with the game. My main whinge would be that it was very short and the collect items were not hard to find and offered no challenge.

The game was good in graphics etc but I do feel a little cheated having paid for a CE.

Go to: