catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Shrouded Tales: The Spellbound Land Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 13, 14 1:43 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 09/13/2014 at 8:02:59 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shrouded Tales: The Spellbound Land here!

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 13, 14 4:19 AM
Huge feeling of deja vu with this game; I know I've played it before, so I'm assuming I must have either beta tested it or tried it from another site.

Anyway, I quite liked it although I'm not sure why it's a CE; there don't appear to be any collectibles, achievements or anything else to warrant twice the price aside from the SG and a bonus chapter. There is a map which you can use to jump locations and it also shows available actions in both the real and the shadow worlds (it's not a 'portal' game as such, although I did see one that wasn't available at the time but may be later!). And there is no option to customise the playing mode either. I played on the middle choice; the sparkles for HOS are very subtle and otherwise no glints for anything else.

The HOS range from 'pictures of objects to find' to the interactive 'find one object to use on something else' type. Nothing overly difficult but not ridiculously easy either. The few puzzles I encountered were fairly easy; there weren't that many. The graphics are nice enough, although a bit hazy. Never play with music on so can't comment on that. The voices were fairly well done, although some of the English accents were a bit 'off'.

But I liked the story and generally the gameplay was entertaining enough; for me this game had enough that was different to make it far more interesting than the CE offered on Thursday. And as the sale makes the cost of the CE only a little more than the SE, it's worth the money as far as I'm concerned. A buy for me on this lovely day in the UK!

ETA: It seems from another post that there are achievements to earn. And the map definitely does show available actions.

Edited on 09/14/2014 at 2:08:54 AM PST

siscokid
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

Finally!

[Post New]by siscokid on Sep 13, 14 4:26 AM
Imaginative, creative, thoroughly engaging! I think I quit after 10 minutes to buy. I really, really (no, really) hope that I will not be disappointed.

Technical aspects: I leave to the wonderful and proficient experts who are so adept at doing so. I say this with sincerest gratitude cuz I know it takes a lot of time and effort to write such poignant ponders and with such flair! LoveToMissLisa, I adore your creativity with your little analogies. Cute-a-mus! I know you've been blasted for it in other posts....but I for one, appreciate the humor. Ahem...okay, on with the review.

The devs IMHO have gone further with the "out of the box" thinking, the imaginative storyline, puzzles, etc., are so far unique and individual. Storyline is capturing, graphics are bright and crisp. The HOS are different from what I've ever seen, I won't spill it, you can see for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

I think it's a buy, especially with the sale going on. Thanks BF!!

A note to the devs: Nice job guys, I know what it takes to try and please our critical and discerning nature. Not an easy task.

Off I go to purchase, will keep you posted on length, extra's....etc.

Oh, and if you have an opinion on my opinion...please keep it to yourself. Like Dr. Phil would say....It ain't about youuuuu......

Sorry, still smarting after a reply that was posted to me by another reviewer blowing up on me yesterday.

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shrouded Tales: The Spellbound Land here!

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Sep 13, 14 7:59 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Shrouded Tales: The Spellbound Land Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Shrouded Tales: The Spellbound Land Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:16:11 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shrouded Tales: The Spellbound Land Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 13, 14 11:04 AM
There's lots to do in every location and it isn't dependent upon finding three keys or performing contortions to see into a dark corner.

The artwork and music is nice, the voice acting is very good and the constant hopping around finding, placing and doing things keeps you busy and entertained.

I'm enjoying it but I think it'd be better to wait for the SE.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shrouded Tales: The Spellbound Land Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 13, 14 1:20 PM
CLUELESS 24 YEAR OLD GINGER SNAPS INTO ACTION TO SAVE HER KINGDOM WITH MOMMY'S ASSISTANCE.

Reminiscent of the old school action games, we have a new (but rather dated) adventure game from the Mad Cacti. We return to a "Harry Potter-ish" type game with wizards, spells, magic potions and enchantments This is an adventure-lite game for those of you on a game diet, restricting the amount and kinds of games you play.

You play the clueless "24" year old daughter (Shouldn't the age be closer to 16?) asked by your spectral mother, the baroness, to defend the kingdom of Haverwick against the evil Vallimer. There is reference to a "Dome," but I finished the demo before I could assess its importance. Your mother helps you throughout the game to defeat this evil. When this "ketchup" redhead is done with this quest, she has a job waiting for her as a fast food model as Mrs. Ronald McDonald or the next Wendy's spokesperson.

I only played the demo. This adventure game is full of wizardry, spells, potions (my personal favorite, especially if they are spewing colorful smoke) and enchantments

LEVELS: There are three levels of play WITHOUT the ability to customize. Again - THE ABILITY TO CUSTOMIZE THE GAME SHOULD BE AVAILABE IN EVERY CE GAME.

GRAPHICS: The graphics are very cartoon-ish and the characters appear very one-dimensional. The characters have no mouth movement and the graphics were more similar to those in the SE games.

STRATEGY GUIDE AND MAP: There is a strategy guide. he map shows locations and transports you to a location; however, it does NOT indicate if any action is needed at that particular site.

HOP SCENES AND PUZZLES: I only encountered one HOP scene in the demo and it was a silhouette. You collect runes which allow you to create spells in your quest to defeat evil. The inventory is NOT interactive. However, I found the puzzles to be quite unique.

SOUND AND "MUZAC:" The "muzac" fits into the whole "Harry Potter-ish" atmosphere of the game.

This definitely NOT worthy of a CE status. The only reason I will purchase this game is because it is an adventure game with few HOP scenes and there are some unique and interesting puzzles.

Now to formulate a proper "potion" to evaluate this game. This game contained very little "magic" for me. I RATE SAID GAME 3 MAGIC "LIGHT" SPELLS OUT OF 5 FULL MAGIC SPELLS.

Edited on 09/13/2014 at 4:05:20 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shrouded Tales: The Spellbound Land Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 13, 14 2:38 PM
Hi all. Well, I was not impressed by this game today. It looked promising, but fell short for me. The graphics were nice, clear and bright colors, with little blues and pinks. It did seem to lag a bit between scenes. Game play was pretty good, no real problems with the demo. Music was nice. Voice overs were good, but very few and far between. This was a very quiet game. Yes, there were sound FX, but little else. Story just seemed to drag for me.

HOPs were very simple and straight forward. Not many at all. Items in the inventory bar were extremely small, to the point of using the magnifying glass to see them clearly..no thanks. Not much in the way of puzzles either. There was a tremendous amount of running back and forth for one thing or another, but not really do much when you are there. There is a lot of magic in this one, but it just wasn't fun or exciting, and I like magic.

I found no collectibles during the demo. So, either there are none or I just missed them. The SG didn't indicate that there were any either. Jump map was set up fairly well, but didn't use it much. I find that the hint is usually all I need and it filled at a pretty good rate.

I was very disappointed in this game and do not see that it is CE worthy. It did not draw me in or make me want to buy it to see what happens. There is just something missing besides challenge. No buy for me today and probably not the SE either. However, I have been known to change my mind when the SE comes out and I play it again. I just rarely change my mind about the CE version.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 13, 14 3:33 PM

Count Me Not Spellbound

The location is Havenwick, a town contained within an impenetrable dome. The time seems to be in the middle ages as there is an alchemist's shop. You are Veronica, your mother is the Baroness. You all have some supernatural powers, however many years ago, the Vulture, lord of the Shadow Realm, captured your mother and others in your realm and trapped them in his. Now that you are grown, it is up to you to learn how to use your fledgling powers to defeat the Vulture before....well I'm not really sure, but you have to free them - after all, she's your mother.

In order to develop your powers, you collect runes. When you have enough, a new power is available. You use these powers a lot to move forward in the game - and they're used too often for my tastes. There are also many colored stone portals which enable you to transport to another time at the same location. You'll have to do this many times - and again, too often for my tastes.

The most - or come to think of it, the only - fun I had during the trial was playing the hidden object scenes. One scene encouraged you to find the objects in a specific order, highlighting and magnifying the silhouette of one in the center while the others remained small and faded, though you could cycle through all the objects if you wished. The other scenes were more standard and required much interaction to complete.

The puzzles were fewer and a mixed bag, most were very simple and yet one in particular was fairly difficult. Voice acting and cut scenes were up to the usual good standards, though the Vulture character was the familiar hooded, smoky red-eyed villain.

The CE contains no collectibles that I could see, three standard difficulty levels, 22 achievements, bonus play, strategy guide, and the usual pseudo extras, along with something called Final Quiz.

If you enjoy magic - powers - portals - rescue the relatives type games then I would recommend you give this a try. If you are like me and you don't care for these type of games, Spellbound means you would rather watch the movie.

Two and a half runes for technical competency. 1/2

Edited on 09/14/2014 at 4:54:40 PM PST

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Not for me!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Sep 14, 14 12:33 AM
Downloaded even though I am tired of fantasy games -- it seemed worth trying due to sell. Wow! Performance issue stopped me from even playing the demo.

What I did see briefly the development team looks as though they put a lot of effort in to graphics -- performance well suspect the team must have had systems that over matched my own.

Please folks try the game for yourselves.

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Sep 14, 14 9:57 AM
Well, I thought this was an awesome game - best Sunday I've had in months. It worked perfectly, was challenging in parts but playable, the hints were helpful, and the graphics beautiful.

The comment I've added in my Excel spreadsheets says 'replay at Christmas' (and I don't say that about many games).

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 14, 14 2:26 PM
Another game that I just can't get the hang of it.. Hate games that have spells so maybe that is one reason I don't like it. So will give it no stars..

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Sep 14, 14 4:24 PM
I really enjoyed playing the demo of this CE because I am a fan of magical powers , especially when you also get to use them, in some of the H0 scenes, which is a first.
For myself, I thought these developers did an awesome job, with the creativity, and thinking, outside of the box, a lot of COOL moments, that made me smile , which is a breath of fresh air, and didn't have ANY issues, THANKS a bunch, for that .

I thought the graphics were good, LOVED the sound effects, got to put 3 of the objects together, during the demo, that swept me away to shadowtown, LOVED the colors used, felt like I was going to another dimension which in my reality, is always needed..lol, not the usual, no place like home .

As much as I liked the game though, I DID miss having no collectables or morphing objects to find, don't understand why the developers wouldn't put them in a CE, especially in a good game, like this one, such a shame, IMHO that would be the icing on the cake and make it CE worthy .
So, I will be waiting for the SE version, for those that don't mind these missing quality's in their games, I say go for it .
I just LOVED the way the developers did put in the extra effort, of giving us something different, in the game play though, THANKS a bunch for that, it is nice to have a change of pace, from my other H0 games, and that part for me, makes the game FUN and ENTERTAINING to play, so I know I will LOVE playing the SE, when it comes out patience is not my strong suit though .

ShaunaPSmith
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by ShaunaPSmith on Sep 23, 14 8:52 PM
Blah. Way, WAY, too easy...at least as far as the mini games go. I did find myself using a hint now and then because I didn't find all of the steps to be logical. This is one of those I called "clicky". If you click enough on everything you will eventually finish. But I don't like doing that. I don't like games with Achievements. I do like games that allow you to play the mini games again once you complete the Bonus Chapter. But unfortunately, these games are not fun enough to want to play again and again. I'll pass it off to my 11 year old.

Here's a tip for game makers. If you go to the trouble of creating a beautiful scene that challenges us to track down missing elements, etc. DON'T just have the point of it all be opening up a secret door. If I've collected all the elements for some elaborate contraption, I want to have to DO something with it. A puzzle perhaps? It's aggravating to be expecting something cool to happen and then nothing cool happens. Boo.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 13, 14 12:29 PM
Based on the demo:

I tried playing once and found the game play to be rather clunky. So I set up a new profile and began again and I am happy I did.

I like this game.

Graphics are pretty good although I thought they were a bit dark - it might just be my computer.

The hint and skip buttons recharge quickly (I timed them but then I forgot; sorry).

I like being able to switch from the real world to the Shadow Realm.

I also like collecting the runes and obtaining magical powers.

I didn't see any collectibles and no morphing objects. So I will wait for the SE before I purchase. For me, it's not CE material unless there are collectibles.

I'm not a big fan of magical power games; I prefer eerie, spooky games unless it's a game from a developer with a strangely colored drink.

But I will purchase this game if as a DD, COTW, or freebie.

Happy gaming!!

Go to: