bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Melissa K. and the Heart of Gold

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 15, 14 12:29 AM
Enjoy this beautiful adventure set in a unique interactive 3D Thailand! Complete mysterious puzzles and find hidden objects. Prepare for an unforgettable experience!

The story unfolds in 1947 Thailand, in a world filled with characters, myths and legends from ancient Buddhist tales. When Melissa is invited by the Queen of England in person, she has no idea that her life is about to take a dramatic turn and a simple mission will lead her to question her very existence.

Thanks to our brand new "Immersion Tech" we're able to combine cutting-edge 3D with beautiful hand-painted graphics. Explore these wonderful environments and live an adventure like no other!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Melissa K. and the Heart of Gold

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 15, 14 1:08 AM
Hi Flounder...

Hmmm... The Queen of England invited Melissa, and it's 1947. Hmmm...

kjos
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by kjos on Sep 15, 14 2:23 AM
What a very strange game. I've played a thousand games but none like this one. That big white hand is your courser. It moves around the house and I don't ask for any hints
I'd like to know what other gamers think about this game. I don't think it's my type of game.
Rich

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Sep 15, 14 2:36 AM
My thoughts exactly Valdy

I'm with you kjos. Don't know what to think either. The 'flow' of the game somehow doesn't agree with what I'm used to. Thank goodness the cursor stops giving hints.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Sep 15, 14 2:43 AM
I played about 15 minutes and had to quit. I agree it's very different. But it got to me. Once I figured out the game play and the way to navigate, it seems like a good game. I will get it with a PCC because it helfd my interest. It will be a good game to just relax with. It is no worse than others I have played and a little better than others. Try it yourself and do your own thing.

bbelle

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 15, 14 2:47 AM
This is supposed to be a HOG, but it's an old-style 3-D Adventure game with some HOS thrown in.

There is widescreen, a choice of a custom and system cursor, and voice-over.

The custom cursor is a huge white-gloved hand. It does not change over hot spots, so what's the point in having it.

There are 3 Difficulty modes: Novice, Adventurer, Expert.
You can change difficulty mode any time during gameplay.

I played in Novice mode, and the white-gloved hand kept showing me the way.

This game seems to have 9 chapters, and 32 Achievements.

In some rooms, you can hold down your cursor and move left or right.

When you want something from the Inventory - which can be locked to stay on top - you have to drag it out of the inventory and onto the object it needs to go to.

Sometimes you see a magnifying glass next to the item in the Inventory. Click on it for further action. Again, to move an object, you have to hold down your cursor and move up and down or left and right.

Same goes for other things like opening a drawer, for example.

The Puzzles can be skipped. Skip button takes about 10 seconds to fill in Novice mode.

In the 1 HOS I came across, I had to search for fragmented objects.

The Hint button refills almost instantly.

You will get little helpers added to a ring of tabs, which surround the Hint button. The first one was a lizard, and I was able to name it.

--- --- ---

In order to write this review, I put the game into window mode, but window mode is so large, it covers practically the whole screen. However, now only half of the lower part of the game is visible, and I wasn't able to get hold of the "menu" button, and had to use the X at the top right to close down the game. What a mess.

--- --- ---

I haven't played for a very long time, because this is just not my type of game. It's definitely not a HOG, even though there are the odd HOS, and it's definitely old school, and gameplay is definitely just like that of an adventure game.

It seems that Melissa has been invited by the "Queen of England" !! in 1947 !! to go to Thailand to do something or other. Now, in 1947, King George VI was still alive and Princess Elizabeth was not yet Queen. Unless the King's wife invited her? Can't see it myself.

ETA: Sorry, made a mistake about the name. Mary was the grandmama...

Edited on 09/15/2014 at 8:20:04 AM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 15, 14 2:56 AM
My review is under "reviews" but I could only post so much (character limitation?) but I review games all day it seems and this more detailed and information laden review will be posted on the actual game page in a day or 2. Hope you jump on over and read it and give me a

Regarding this game? On the fence big time. Go to the reviews area in the Forum and find out why. Altho more info forthcoming on the game page.

Susan

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 15, 14 3:12 AM
I really wanted to play this game but I only managed about 8 minutes then became dizzy - it's the strongest reaction I have ever had to anything that's 3D, such a shame.

Does anyone know if you can turn the 3D effects off?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 15, 14 3:15 AM
No, Daxadillion, you can't. What you see is what you get.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Sep 15, 14 3:20 AM
mrm2006,

I really liked your review and it helped me to understand the game better. A lot of stuff I didn't know, you brought out.

Thanks so much.

bbelle

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 15, 14 3:21 AM
Thanks Valdy, I will see if I can find another game to play as I have a PCC that expires today.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 15, 14 3:27 AM
Daxadillion wrote:Thanks Valdy, I will see if I can find another game to play as I have a PCC that expires today.

I don't know whether you like basic HOGs like "Big City Adventure", but there is a soft release out today, which is about a Ship's Cruise, if you like that type of game.

ETA: The name of this game is: "Vacation Adventures: Cruise Director".

I am just now downloading the SE for "Spirit of Revenge: Cursed Castle", which I have been waiting for.

--- --- ---

Saw your review, mrm2006. The reason I prefer to add mine in this thread is because I like to talk to other gamers about the reviews as well as the game, and the Reviews thread is strictly for reviews only.

Edited on 09/15/2014 at 3:31:02 AM PST

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Sep 15, 14 4:29 AM
I think this game is definitely worth a try. For those of us looking for some thing a bit different, here we have it.
It does seem to be a bit of a hybrid of old school adventure games and HOPAs but once you get used to navigating it I think it has a lot to offer. The puzzles are new and not dumbed down and the more I play the more I get into the story. Plus collectables and achievements, though there is not much guidance on these. I gather you can collect statues from the HO scenes.
You do need to talk to characters repeatedly as they help you with what to do and give you items. I've been lost a few times till I realised I just needed to go back for another chat!

Do recommend giving this a go and getting the hang of it!

Def worth coupon for me.

[Post New]by moonfish1956 on Sep 15, 14 5:20 AM
Many Fishies, myself included, look for games that are outside of the usual run of the mill and today's TGT certainly satisfies me on that count. At first my heart sank when I realised the screens were the 3D moving kind but with a little persistance I soon got the hang of it and was delighted by the lovely graphics - look up at the sky!
The production values are high - good voiceovers, a coherent script/story, collectables (reclining Buddhas), achievements and beautiful graphics to boot - so you get a huge bang for your buck. Easily worth a PCC and definately worth downloading the free hour trial.
I commend the developers for taking the chance at trying something different and being creative - a concept that seems to have disappeared from most developers sights (probably blinded by $ signs!). Sorry to sound so jaundiced but I, for one , am too often disappointed by the "same old, same old" - to appropriatly use a cliche - tee hee!

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Sep 15, 14 5:37 AM
This was first released as an ios game... Rare for a bfg to go from ios to pc, usually the other way around. Great game for ipad, have now purchased there.

yolanded
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
421 Posts

[Post New]by yolanded on Sep 15, 14 6:48 AM
is a nice game, created for ios, the gameplay is different than usual for this should be appreciated all 'beginning perhaps it is not clear but then becomes simple, beautiful graphics and the plot seems interesting. and after 20 minutes of play, I realized that the subtitles were in Italian, fantastic

nicklin60
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by nicklin60 on Sep 15, 14 6:52 AM
I understood King George 6th and his wife Queen Elizabeth were ruling in 1947 so she was the Queen at that time.

[Post New]by TealadysCat on Sep 15, 14 7:00 AM
It is different and after I played the demo I hesitated but then dicided to use up one of my free game codes, you kinda get into the hang of it and its makes a change to play I am well into game but I am stuck on boat mending

dueler
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by dueler on Sep 15, 14 7:32 AM
A lot of mouse clicking!!, quite enjoyed the game, took the white glove off and used the system cursor, found it better, cursor got stuck in the dark room near the beginning but it sorted it self out when I left, you have to move from side to side in 3D motion, because if you don't you could miss something, the geko and the torch was very handy, you have to look very hard to find stuff, so those with not so good eyesight might find it hard, overall not a bad game, on the fence here with this, maybe a walkthrough at some time would be handy, because I think it will be needed by some gamers (me included probably if I do buy this game).

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Sep 15, 14 7:45 AM
This game has got to be the worst game I have ever tried to play. You have a hand for a cursor which I thought I got rid of by changing it. But no there is a hand that follows you every where pointing to where you have to go. What fun is that? One of the reviews I read said it was a great game. Oh man they have to get out more. this game is just plain horrible.

Go to: