Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Melissa K. and the Heart of Gold here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 15, 14 12:38 AM
FYI - I am temporarily standing in for Catbag who has been covering for Pond Prowler

Edited on 09/15/2014 at 5:55:26 AM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Melissa K. and the Heart of Gold here.

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 15, 14 2:38 AM
NO! NO! NO! My Time CAN'T BE UP!!!!!

There may be e a heart of gold but, in my opinion, it's the DEVS who have a heart of gold, gold, gold.
We have been given a CE quality game at an SE price. There's a LOT of CE bling attached to this SE game. Why am I starting with that? Because it's only frigging AMAZING!
32 Achievements - you heard me right - ACHIEVEMENTS!
Collectibles?
11 Secret Letters (to find???)
16 Buddha Statuettes (where? how?) One showed up in the "Statuette" page but how did it get there? WHERE did I find it?

The story line goes on and on. Kate, an Archeologist, heads to Thailand to meet a young "student". A monk?

What I Liked:
The graphics are amazing. The legend, told in pieces, is so mesmerizing. The voices were amazing. The hint button, recharges so quickly, and it needs to because I needed a lot of help.The journal. Contains pages for notes (please read, very important to the story and what you have to do), objectives (also important to keep you on track), Buddha Statuettes, Secret Letters. HOGs. Mini Games: Didn't see a skip or reset button.

What I Disliked:
Ok, I'm a bit of an idiot and like my sparkles or magnifying glass or whatever to let me know where to "look" for things. Not so here, and I played on the easiest of 3 settings. There is, however, a BIG, white-gloved, hand that points in you various directions. Like a clown's hand but I think you can change to the system cursor in "Options". 60 minutes of demo time was NOT ENOUGH! This is a demo that definitely needed a full 90 minutes, unless the game is short. The map. The way the screen moved. Click and Drag EVERYTHING.

In addition, surrounding the hint button, ln addition, there are 5 round circles. Items you find that will be helpful throughout the game will be located here (a flashlight, a gecko you can name - sorry, you people who hate that but I like the gecko, and 3 others I didn't find yet). There's also a "star" shaped thingy at the top left of the screen which, when you click on it, shows you different direction you can go in, but not necessarily that you should go there. There's a little box at the right of "inventory" that will say "entrance", "chedi" and other words. Click on it and you will be transported there. Generally, I found, when you see that, that's where you need to go.

Had to delete a LOT of my review (imagine) because of character limitations? But check me out on the game page in a day on the game page please for more details.

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Sep 15, 14 5:56 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Melissa K. and the Heart of Gold here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Melissa K. and the Heart of Gold .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 15, 14 11:54 AM
Hi all. Well, I don't automatically give 5 stars to games unless they are exceptional and this one is no exception. The graphics are very old school...haven't seen anything like this for a few years, but it works for this game. Game play was pretty good. I don't care for the scrolling you need to do and the constant bouncing up and down when a character is walking. Colors are bright. Music was very soothing and nice. Inventory bar locks, but you have to actually click on an item to see what it is and then click, hold and drag to wherever you need to use it (again, old school). You collect items that will be used throughout the game and are quite helpful, e.g., flashlight, net and yes, a lizard. The voice overs are not too bad, although the female dialog is rather silly sometimes...walk into a room and say "oh, I think I'll go to bed." Um, okay. You can't click through dialog if you read faster than they speak and you don't want to skip it either, or you miss some of the story and reason why you are doing certain things and going certain places.

HOPs are all find the parts to make an item type, which I do like, but some parts area extremely small and hard on the eyes to find. At least the HOPs are not junk piles. Puzzles are a little different and take some time to complete, so there is a little challenge here. There is a jump map, but it does not show locations that have something to do and they are not identified by name. Fortunately, the hint system is quite helpful and fills very quickly.

There are 11 letters to collect and 16 Buddha statues. I only found 2 of each during the demo. Not sure where or how I managed to get these items, but they showed up in the journal as being found. I did not see a flow to the story until I was about 20 minutes into the game and I finally got a little insight into the story line. Then it began to make some sense. All that being said...I do like the extras this SE gives us and I think I need to keep playing to see how it goes. This is not a difficult or especially challenging game, but I like it well enough to us a punch coupon.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 15, 14 12:58 PM
A GREAT "YIN YANG" ADVENTURE GAME WHERE ONE FINDS GREAT ENJOYMENT AND VERY LITTLE DISAPPOINTMENT.

A CE LITE GAME WITH 50% FEWER ANNOYANCES

We have a joyous offering for Grumpy Cat Monday! Clawing my way out of bed at dark thirty this morning, I went to my computer to see the BF daily offering. As my eyes unfurled, I was elated to see it was a GREAT OFFERING (TO BUDDAH) for a change.

STORY: This is an adventure game reminiscent of the old Indiana Jones movies. You play Melissa, a British archaeologist who is assigned to Thailand as a teacher. Your new job will require you to do quite a bit of "digging" around searching for your missing student, a Buddhist monk, perhaps the next Dalai Lama. As you search, you discover that his disappearance is somehow linked to an old Thai legend. I see some of our fish need to go to a meditation aquarium and ask themselves - How integral to the game is who the monarch was in 1947? Like many independent thinking Scots today, I have evolved to not care about British royalty.

LEVELS: There are three levels of play.

GRAPHICS: The graphics three dimensional, colorful and awesome. Great job devs! The pointer is a white glove which can be used to manipulate the screen in all directions. This technology was in use some time in the era of 2000 B.I.T. age (Before Innovative Technology). The only one I remember is "Paris - 360" (a nauseating HOG game). I was annoyingly surprised you must hold the mouse down to use an inventory item.

HOP SCENES, INVENTORY AND PUZZLES: In the HOP scenes you collect pieces to complete an inventory item. Pretty cool, actually! The inventory is interactive and puzzle-like. As you play the puzzles, you are timed and scored for accuracy. The puzzles are theme related and unique. I especially like the one dealing with a prayer wheel. Excellent devs!

SOUND AND MAP: There is voice and meditative "muzac." You are given the map after a video sequence of a Thai legend, after which you must put it together in a puzzle.

EXTRA GOODIES: There are 32 achievements and you collect statues of Buddah. You collect items to "help" you in the game. Yes, my little lotus blossoms, I found one animal helper - a gecko. Altogether, you collect 5 "helpers" in the game - some items as well as animals.

Now to meditate and arrive at a thoughtful rating for this game. THIS GAME HAS ELEVATED ME TO 7TH HEAVEN

Edited on 09/15/2014 at 1:00:41 PM PST

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Sep 15, 14 2:35 PM
Based on demo only:

This is a different type of game on many levels. The 3D movement in all the scenes, as enjoyable as it was, made me feel dizzy. Otherwise, I would have bought it w/ a PCC. I didn't make it to the end of the demo (15 mins left).

Needing to use the hint several times is usually a no-no for me but I didn't mind it because of the vastly diff. game play. A quick hint recharge (casual mode) really helped. The objects in the FROG are tiny. Puzzles were good. The graphics and cut scenes are nicely done based on the legend of Ramayana. The VOs were good (or so I felt as I rarely play w/ sound on).

I found it hard to tell where to move next in any location w/o a hint. Some of the flashing lights (when you find an inventory item) were quite blinding......IMO, it added to the motion sickness thingy. The map wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped for nor was I able to figure out the collectibles (as mentioned by other reviewers) in the time played. I didn't notice a (+) sign on any of the inventory items that needed an extra step.

None of these were cons, as such, since the game seems to be designed for intuitive play aka no hand-holding! Overall, a refreshing game.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 15, 14 4:58 PM
I love this! I'm terrible at adventure games but this is kind of adventure-lite. It's much more generous with hints, there's a compass in the upper left corner that will show you areas you can visit, if you sit there staring in confusion, the giant hand will show you an active area. The story is fascinating, the graphics are good and the voice acting is excellent.

I haven't seen any bling yet but so far I find this game charming and fun. Very immersive.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 15, 14 5:36 PM

Melissa K's (Mostly) Excellent Adventure

You are Melissa K., a famous archaeologist who refuses to be called "Dr." You are sent to Thailand by royal request to teach a young monk about archaeology. Soon after your arrival, you discover the young boy is missing.

First I noticed some minor problems.
- Melissa lies down on a bed with no bedding, fully clothed
- The guide addresses you as "Doctor" anyway
- The guide says of the boy, "he's not THAT kind of boy," and ....well never mind.
- You collect a "sash curtain" - which is actually a sash cord.
- The dialog is painfully slow at times, enough to be distracting
- there was no English queen in 1947
- an online search states from 1945-49 Thailand was known as Siam again.

Game play is old school adventure-ish with hidden object FROGS and mostly simple puzzles thrown in. As with most adventure games, most of your time will be spent figuring out where to go / what to do next. Fortunately there is a hint that recharges quickly.

To help you there is a pet gecko you must name, and other tools you retain in the lower right. Navigation can be done by clicking on a door, etc. or the bottom of the screen. In the upper left there is an icon that will show all the areas you can navigate to directly. There is also a jump map you gain as you play, but the map is used for going from one location to another, not from scene to scene.

As you might expect in an Asian-themed game, the palette consists of a lot of red and gold. Everything is well drawn and fairly detailed, a little dated looking in style and not real easy on the eyes.

There are three difficulty levels. If you are not a huge adventure fan, I recommend playing on the easiest setting. Music is the light, string plucking type that does not intrude. There are also collectible Buddhas and letters.

This has a good story line and decent play, but the artwork, minor problems and old feel of the game causes me to give it only three 1/2 Buddha's.

ETA: Many scenes are 3D-lite. Click and drag your mouse left, right,up and down to turn the view and look in the corners of each scene. Also, there is a scroll journal that keeps the copious notes you'll need to follow the detailed story.

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 3:39:23 PM PST

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Sep 15, 14 11:26 PM
It's a shame that this game wasn't offered to us as a CE when it was originally released. The length of this game as a SE is unseen anymore. I can't see anyone complaining about the length. This took me well over 8 hours with a few breaks and looking for a walkthrough. This game has the kind of challenge people have been clamoring for. It had the achievements, collectibles, etc. and the ability to check a strategy guide would have been helpful.
Great game especially if you have a PCC.

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Sep 20, 14 8:18 AM
I loved the game.
Others have given wonderful reviews, so I won't go into details but as I adore adventure games, this was a real treat.
The story was fascinating, and suitably creepy...I had to stop a few times as I got a bit creeped out in some places...lol (especially the ghost house...lol)
Thailand has always fascinated me and it was wonderful to learn a bit about the culture and to wallow in the amazing graphics...
I really hope that we will get more from this developer!!!

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 22, 14 11:40 AM
The graphics are clear but so dimly lit that in parts the game appears murky. The palette is vivid but the range of colors used is so limited the game is visually monotonous. The music was appropriate to the theme. Voice overs were delivered at a frustratingly slow pace.

The "3D" feature was not well done and it was difficult to look at anything but the middle of any area. When I tried to scroll to the edges my view kept popping back to the center. There were more user interface issues with the cursor which had very poor response to movement of the mouse. The problem became particularly annoying given the large number of mini-games that rely on eye-hand coordination. I don't play HOPA games to challenge my eye-hand coordination in the first place but if the game is going to have such frequent challenges it should at least have a smoothly functioning cursor.

There are not enough HOS to call this a HOPA game in my opinion. I ran across only two in the demo. The two there were, and all the puzzles, were very easy.

The adventure component involves moving through empty locations, finding nothing, and then going back to find the developer has changed the area by adding things of interest there. I'm not a fan of the click through every scene umpteen times to find the new thing we've hidden there gimmick. It made the whole game feel like all I was doing was randomly clicking while fighting a really clunky user-interface.

I cannot even go into the story that much because it was so dull and disconnected from what was going on in the game that I couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the cut-scenes and little collectible ticket messages that flesh it all out.

All in all this is a poorly conceived and poorly designed game. I did not enjoy playing it at all. Two stars.

Edited on 09/22/2014 at 11:42:26 AM PST

[Post New]by gemspy on Oct 3, 14 12:27 PM
Hi Fishies, I was trying the demo to see what all the fuss was about - dizziness and all of that, and actually got the hang of it. Was just fully into it when my time ran out at the explosion. I like the game and will buy it with a pc and add to my stash. It kind of reminded me of Syberia/Myst/TombRaider type games which I find very emersive and enjoyable. ( I like having a skip button for when I don't want to hassle with a puzzle that I have aleady solved before if it's too time consuming). I love hops and frogs and adventures. The games I play the most are Zuma Deluxe, to amp me up, Scrabble to calm me down and then an HOP as a treat. This is a neat one if you liked Syberia and Myst. Happy gaming!

Go to: