A thread for your reviews

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 7:07:08 AM PST

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for 9 Elefants here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 16, 14 1:30 AM
<a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/faqs/list.page>[Removed by Moderator]</a>

I totally agree with you Roxycavalier, I lasted 19 minutes, 13 minutes of play and 6 minutes trying to find out how to get out of the game!

After reading a different thread on this forum I now see that I responded to a thumbs down post without actually realising I was on the "Please post you REVIEWS thread", and it's even more unforgivable as I was the one who started the reviews thread on behalf of Catbag who has been standing in for Pond Prowler.

I don't post reviews after receiving some undesirable personal messages on a game called The House of Usher, all because the majority didn't like it but I was one of the few that did, so I deleted my posts.

My review of the game 9 Elefants is as follows:
99% of the games I buy are HOGS, HOS, FROGS or adventure games, but today I decided to trial this one. It started with me having to click on a speech bubble numerous times before I was asked to actually do something, it was a mathemetical question which I got wrong! The reason for the exclamation mark is that I am an accountant and I had just speed read the question but I did give the correct answer the 2nd time.

The next few minutes were fine although there were far too many speech bubbles to click on to progress in my opinion. The clincher for me to give up on the game was the finding of the film rolls, I think I needed 8, I saw them and actually managed to get 2 of them but with the onset of arthiritis in my hands I could not manage to click on anymore within the short space of time that they appeared in, so I gave up. I prefer games where I am clicking to go somewhere rather than just clicking on numerous speech bubbles.

I eventually exited the game and clicked on the forum to see if anyone had commented and then replied to a post with a negative comment not realising I was on the reviews thread at the time.

I am very sorry if I offended anyone.

Dax

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 1:51:25 PM PST

kjos
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by kjos on Sep 16, 14 2:16 AM
I to had trouble to get out of the game. Played about 10 min. and couldn't take it anymore. To much reading and no game play. You can try the demo maybe you will like it but I didn't. Never played a game like this one. Even if it was free I wouldn't want it.
Richard

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Sep 16, 14 3:06 AM

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 11:03:00 AM PST

unicorn68
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by unicorn68 on Sep 16, 14 3:42 AM
I agree with all: wouldnt even want it for free :-(

Xmas3kds
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Xmas3kds on Sep 16, 14 3:49 AM
Very boring, too much dialogue, bouncing around Paris but not accomplishing anything! Agree with others, I wouldn't play it if it were free!

[Post New]by rokinrobin0599 on Sep 16, 14 6:35 AM
I agree with everyone. Kept thinking want is this all about. To much reading and not enough game play. A big pass for me today.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 16, 14 6:40 AM
Guess I'm in the minority so, please, if responding, be kind

I really, really, really liked this game. It was humorous, the characters were funny and the story, well, WAS ordinary. But, it was the funny characters and the Keystone Cop - movie - like activity that drew me in and kept me wanting to play.

The conversations get smaller, much smaller, but still humorous. The number of "films" you need starts at 3 and progressively gets higher as the riddles you must answer start easy and get progressively harder. Capturing the "films" you need is extremely difficult for me as I don't have the dexterity in my hand to be able to accomplish that well.

There is NO tutorial so my actual review on the game page is quite lengthy but details, in great detail, how to play the game. Hence, I am your tutorial - LOL. (this is me being smart looking - lol).

I rated the game 4 stars because of the "film" capturing problem for me. Also, not a purchase for that reason. Too bad, because I really loved playing the game - the characters, conversations, etc.

I hope you'll jump on over to the game page and check out my detailed review on how to play the game, etc. when it's posted and, hopefully, give me a .

Good luck to those who purchase it and PM me when you find those dang eleFants! lol

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Sep 16, 14 7:06 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on 9 Elefants here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on 9 Elefants.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:15:44 AM PST

handyfr
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by handyfr on Sep 16, 14 7:22 AM
I lasted exactly 8 minutes. ABSOLUTELY the WORST game ever!!!

Rainmanuk
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Rainmanuk on Sep 16, 14 9:02 AM
The is based on as much of the demo as I could stand.
About 10 minutes.

This looks like a port from a Nintendo game. Bingly bongly music, cartoon characters, etc.

In a strange sort of masochistic way I did enjoy some of it, but it just wore me down very quickly.
I hated the film canister catching, I suppose you could get good at it if you had enough practice, personally I would rather stick pins in my eyes.

I must be getting old and grumpy, I don't seem to like much stuff being served up by BF these days

annetterider
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by annetterider on Sep 16, 14 10:56 AM
What a mind numbing game I only lasted 8 minutes. My brain was bleeding from boredom lol. It is a big NO BUY for me.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Sep 16, 14 12:33 PM
Seeing the extreme range of opinions regarding this game, I decided to give the demo a try.

I actually like the game. It's not one that's the usual BF type. It is definitely not a HO/HOPA game so don't judge it on that criteria.

It is more of an adventure game with a lot of conversation between the characters. So if you don't like reading, this isn't the game for you. It reminded me a little of the old text-based adventure games. I enjoyed the snarky tone of some of the comments.

The basic story is that a girl's inventor-father has disappeared in Paris and she's trying to find him. She meets up with his assistant and he can put together some devices to help with the search, but she must find the gears for them. In order to find the gears she travels around to various parts of Paris and interacts with the various characters she meets there. In order to gain the gears, she has to successfully solve problems. So far the problems I've come across are historical sequencing, math/logic, tangram-type, mastermind and string. If she solves the problem correctly, she gets some gears. If she fails, she can't re-try the puzzle until she has collected at least 3 "time-films" which pop up randomly at the various locations, seemingly at pre-timed intervals. A way to get them to show up more frequently (at least it seemed to me) was to exit to the main menu and then go back into the game; that seemed to cause them to become available again at various locations. I did find it hard to click on the film rolls when they did pop up, though.

I liked the music and the cartoonish graphics (and I'm not usually a fan of cartoon games). You accessed various locations by clicking on them on a map and different areas opened up if you were successful in solving the puzzle/problems.

This won't be a game to everyone's taste but if you are looking for something different that isn't a HO game and you don't mind reading conversations between characters, then at least try the demo on this one.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 16, 14 1:26 PM
OOH LA LA SPARKLING WIT, PUZZLEMENT AND CHEERFUL FRENCH MUSIC FOR "LES ENFANTS" (CHILDREN)

It is now "Mardi Gras" with a huge amount of comic wit in a "petit jeu video, from our Frenchie dev, "Le Singe." This game should clear away any mental cobwebs from Monday's doldrums. Actually, I am busy tonight so this will be "bref."

This game, I believe is directed more toward "les enfants." However, what would it hurt for the adults have fun as well and learn something as you travel the "rues" of Paris. It is a humorous educational attempt to teach children through puzzles. This dev creates educational videos which are distributed in France. I believe, but may be wrong, that this is one of them. Quite well-done, I think for a children's game.

You play Laura, the daughter of a German professor, Herr Weissner, who apparently has been kidnapped. The dialogue is quite creative and funny as you interact with people throughout Paris. You collect video cartridges which allow you to play puzzles throughout the game. This game is map driven which teaches about locations throughout the City of Light.

The game is full of colorful cartoon graphics with a side plate of slapstick humor. The puzzles are very easy and educational. You are scored throughout the game. You can choose from three characters to play. I chose and love Eustache "le chat" the professor's cat. He speaks and only "has prose for the hands that feeds him." He is a "helping paw" in the game.

I RATE THIS "PETIT JEU VIDEO" 5 "CHATS" OUT OF 5 "CHATS FOR AN SE. "

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 1:27:58 PM PST

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Sep 16, 14 1:58 PM
After a 25-minute demo, I found myself still with just 2 films so when I finally missed a riddle, I had to visit one location after another, repeatedly trying to quick-click to snag another film. All that, just so I could get another riddle so I could progress.

Neurological issues and age combine to put me in the 'slower-reflexes' category, so I now shy away from games that require fast clicking. Those films pop up in random areas of the screen and only for a second or two. No longer my idea of fun, plus definitely a no-go for me due to my mousing limitations.

I was thinking about using a punch code on this because it's so different. The quick-click business changed my mind. Deleted it.

gamma9697
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by gamma9697 on Sep 16, 14 3:13 PM
this game is sooooo boring! tooo much talking and not enough playing...

georgiarealist
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by georgiarealist on Sep 16, 14 3:27 PM
I find myself unsure of whether I like this game or not. The cartoon imagery is cute, and the dialogue is amusing - it's easy enough to advance it faster. Most of the puzzles I've encountered so far aren't too difficult, although there's one number square that I can't make any sense of. However, like others, I have arthritis in my hands and can't manage to click the correct spot (which seems to be very specific) to collect the doggone films. There simply isn't enough time allowed to do this for those of us who are a bit older and/or who have vision or hand problems. If there were a way to slow that aspect down, at least, I'd be happy to try the full game. As it is, I made it about half an hour and had to give up. At least I did find one of the "elefants."

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 16, 14 3:28 PM
I liked the game. The graphics are interesting, it's humorous and very unique and I like the "Frenchness" of it. However I'm also not so great at fast clicking so ultimately, this isn't a good fit for me.

I might try it on my PC/mouse, it's nearly impossible for me with a laptop/touchpad.

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Sep 16, 14 4:55 PM
I too thoroughly enjoyed the game.....found some of the 'conversations' to be 'wickedly' funny (ie: The Cat) and so actually enjoyed reading the little blurbs.

It played well on my Laptop (Windows 7) and I had no trouble navigating around the 'map'.

My problem came in when I gave a 'wrong' answer to a riddle and ended up needing 3 rolls of film that soon became 6.

There was just NO WAY that I could move fast enough to 'catch' those darn film rolls, no matter how hard I tried.

Because of this, the game is a no go for me which is a shame because it really does have the potential to be a lot of lighthearted fun that will challenge those 'little grey cells!'

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 16, 14 5:42 PM

9 Reasons Not To Buy 9 Elefants

You play a young woman named Laura Weissman. Your father, Professor Weissman, lives in Paris and has just invented something called a Time Camera. However, he has disappeared along with his invention. You arrive from Germany just as the police begin to investigate his disappearance. Naturally, it is up to you to actually find your father.

First, let me say this game is somewhat likeable, despite my title. If you guessed I picked out the title for this review before playing the game, you win a prize. But after I played the trial, I came up with MORE. So here are just the top nine:

- you cannot enter a profile name
- music is mind numbing '70's "happy music"
- "elefant" is spelled elephant
- you have to click after each line of dialog, and
- there is REALLY A LOT of dialog
- most puzzles are too easy
- some puzzles make no sense
- you are "congratulated" for listening to dialog
- your cat is named Eustache

One plus is that despite all the dialog, I did not notice any spelling errors.

This is a puzzle based game with word puzzles, logic puzzles, geometric puzzles, and, yes, other puzzles. While the style of the game is childlike, do not be fooled, this is aimed toward adults. The 2D drawing style has a childlike simplicity to it, and the characters are rather cartoonish. On the other hand, the dialog is not simplistic and you will do quite a lot of reading. I got tired of the story before the trial ended, but it only serves as a framework to present you with a challenge of puzzle after puzzle. If I were to purchase this game, it would be solely to play the puzzles, of which there are purportedly 230.

You also have to collect 35mm film by clicking before it disappears. This is quite difficult because the time window to collect it is only about one second. The film is the "price" to replay the puzzles you answered incorrectly.

You have 9 elefants. Seven run off to play a memory game. How many are left?

Two eleFants, only because I liked the puzzles.

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 7:53:46 PM PST

Go to: