[Post New]by tammytheo on Sep 16, 14 4:34 AM

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 10:10:45 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:About "reviews"

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 16, 14 5:05 AM
Same here, tammytheo. My first language isn't English either, so I tend to edit my posts a lot, even though I have spoken English long enough to be able to get it right the first time. But I seldom do.

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 11:08:32 AM PST

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Sep 16, 14 5:07 AM
Amen, Tammytheo.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Sep 16, 14 5:08 AM
Speaking for myself...I respect what you have said.
But also, when I read the forums, whether it be a review or an opinion, I take what I need and leave the rest. I don't let it have any real effect on me, I just appreciate the different views/opinions and end up forming my own.

It is all good and we all have our own way of expressing ourselves, whether it is a thumbs up or a thumbs down for some....doesn't matter, others will elaborate more.
It will balance out.

tammytheo, I guess we all need to just remember this is a gaming site, a site to share and enjoy. Why take things to an extreme?

Keep swimming' as we like having you in the pond.

Ci

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 16, 14 5:11 AM
You are absolutely right, CiChDa, although aren't you always asking others for more details in reviews, like: "I still wish people would post on how HO heavy a game is verses the adventure.", for example? And now you are happy if someone just gives a thumb-down?

The point is that other gamers come to the REVIEWS thread to read the reviews, so they can decide whether they want to download/purchase a game. [Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 10:13:15 AM PST

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Sep 16, 14 5:31 AM
Yep, I still do wish folks would add in there reviews how HO heavy a game is, but I don't let it sway' me on not purchasing a game because they don't.

I have many times posted a simple words in my "review" i.e GREAT GAME!

So, I guess I am guilty of using a thumbs up also.

By the way, for those of you that do our reviews so eloquently, you all do a fabulous job, and are deeply appreciated. AND, we do miss you when you aren't posting, as we value what you contribute.

How is this for a review - "spiders, ewww?!!"

I think it is ok.

By the way, the fore mention about spiders , is just an example...as I don't know anything about the game and won't even try something that I can't exit from easily.

edited for closing clarification

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 5:40:12 AM PST

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Sep 16, 14 5:58 AM
Thank you for your input, guys. I appreciate it greatly whether it's in agreement with what I wrote or not.By the way, you do know we're going down, right? LOL! Anyway, we don't have to agree with each other all the time. Disagreeing is good too. It's useful and constructive as long as it is done with arguments and in a kind and civilized manner.

CiChDa, I'm into games for fun and fun is the main reason I participate the forums... Although fun doesn't seem to be the issue in here anymore, is it? If you take a look at my posts, you'll see what I'm all about. I don't like causing problems and that is certainly not my purpose here but when most of us are doing our best to comply with the Forum Rules, I expect everyone to do the same. Rules exist for a reason.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 16, 14 6:36 AM
YOU GO GIRL TammyTheo! A BIG to you for your commentary. I believe you've said what we all, or most of us, were thinking.

I posted a mini review but not on the actual "review" forum area. Valdy indicated it's better to post it elsewhere so there can be a conversation thread.

As indicated in my mini-review, I posted a detailed, tutorial-like (LOL) review on the actual game page which I hope will help players understand how to play the actual game.

Appreciate your commentary a LOT!

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Sep 16, 14 7:02 AM
I agree with you CiChDa! Life is too short to get that upset about people's opinions and if people do comment in the review column. Peace to all!

Lyvia
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by Lyvia on Sep 16, 14 7:25 AM
tammytheo wrote:Thank you for your input, guys. I appreciate it greatly whether it's in agreement with what I wrote or not.By the way, you do know we're going down, right? LOL! Anyway, we don't have to agree with each other all the time. Disagreeing is good too. It's useful and constructive as long as it is done with arguments and in a kind and civilized manner.

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 11:24:44 AM PST

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Sep 16, 14 7:26 AM
Thank you, mrm2006. I'll read your review. I think these forums are in desperate need of more good reviewers.

didersham, you are absolutely right! Life is too sort to get upset over such things but everything has a limit, don't you think? [Removed by Moderator]

ETA: You do have a point there, Lyvia, but I ran out of patience and I wanted to say what I had to say in public. It's all going to be removed anyway. Like I said, I don't expect everyone to share my point of view, though some people clearly do, but I'm finding hard to believe there are users who take offence in my initial post and not in the constant violation of rules we are all witnessing daily in these forums.

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 10:15:16 AM PST

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Sep 16, 14 7:51 AM
I stopped writing game reviews in the Forum when the Pond went through a religious self-righteous phase: when reviews starting telling me that if I played a certain game, God would not love me anymore.

But I have continued to read reviews and to, sometimes, find them valuable. But no more. Reviews are no longer about games but about reviews and reviewers. I enjoyed the Pond when anyone could say what they wanted any way they wanted to say it. Those days seems to be gone, as the Pond falls further and further into meaningless disputes about reviews. [Removed by Moderator], mean-spirited comments accompanied by a peace sign or a smiley-face emoticon are still [Removed by Moderator], mean-spirited comments. And I don't want to spend any more time reading them.

I am out of here.

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 8:24:25 AM PST

Lyvia
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by Lyvia on Sep 16, 14 8:04 AM
tammytheo wrote:

ETA: You do have a point there, Lyvia, but I ran out of patience and I wanted to say what I had to say in public. It's all going to be removed anyway. Like I said, I don't expect everyone to share my point of view, though some people clearly do, but I'm finding hard to believe there are users who take offence in my initial post and not in the constant violation of rules we are all witnessing daily in these forums.

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 11:24:00 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 16, 14 8:08 AM
tropdechats wrote:I Reviews are no longer about games but about reviews and reviewers.

this is so true.

I don't mind the one line reviews or even thumbs up/down- it is giving me information how someone feels about the game.
I really don't care about most of the information in long reviews but it is great that there are folks willing to take the time to post that info for those that do.

I just want to know as quickly as possible if the general consensus is favorable or not.

That is why star ratings work- it gives an average (and individual) overview at a glance.

So consider = 1 star

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Sep 16, 14 8:19 AM
I am always amazed how some fishies get so worked up about inconsequential things. I, like many other BF gamers miss the Chat feature that BF used to have where you could talk about practically anything and give a wave to other fishies that frequent the pond. I don't read the blow by blow reviews of the games; I'm just interested in what the other reviews think about the game. It is helpful to know about annoying dialogue, music etc. If I watch the video, I can get an idea of what's going on in the game. So, completely unrelated to anything....PLEASE BRING BACK CHAT!

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Sep 16, 14 8:29 AM
Hey Everyone,

Just popping by with a reminder of the Forum Rules, specifically:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

We completely understand the differing opinions over what qualifies as a review and what doesn't. However, everyone has different ways of expressing their opinions of a game, and we ask that those expressions be respected.

I hope this thread takes a more positive, constructive turn

bfgVaiya

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Sep 16, 14 8:32 AM

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 11:22:41 AM PST

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Sep 16, 14 8:54 AM
tammytheo wrote:Thank you, mrm2006. I'll read your review. I think these forums are in desperate need of more good reviewers.

didersham, you are absolutely right! Life is too sort to get upset over such things but everything has a limit, don't you think? [Removed by Moderator]

Hey Tammytheo,

I did start that thread and I was disappointed that there has not been a game that I liked that has come out in awhile. And I expressed how I was happy for the gamers who have. I never stated any anger towards anyone or anything. I never meant to offend anyone. I said my peace and I am out of this thread. Happy gamming to all!

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 11:17:58 AM PST

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Sep 16, 14 9:38 AM
When I first started playing games around 12/2010 the game forums had the review & comment sections combined. I must admit that I prefer it that way. I liked how the comments about the game and/or other fishies were mixed in with the reviews. The review only section that it is now I find cold & impersonal.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Sep 16, 14 10:09 AM
Hey Everyone

After discussion with the rest of the team, due to the nature of this thread and the purpose with which it was created, it will need to be locked.

To clarify a few things, in the spirit of the review guidelines and in respect to other reviewers, please do not review other reviewers or their reviews. This includes outside of the designated review thread. As stated in the Forum Rules:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

If there are any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of the Mods.

bfgVaiya

Go to: