No CE?

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Sep 17, 14 11:28 AM
I bought the previous installments of this series, and I thought it was a little strange that this one is not being released as CE first as the second and third games were. Of course, the second and third, going by the titles in my Game Manager, don't include the "Clues" part of the title 9 Clues, despite being part of the same storyline, so perhaps this has something to do with it? I dunno, but I was a bit curious as to why this is the case. One plus is that I can use one of my free punch card games for this one, though, so... silver lining. I remember beta testing this quite a while back, so I wonder if there just wasn't enough of a story to include as a bonus game and so they gave up and released it just as a standard edition.

Anyone have any theories or know the reason?

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

No CE?

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 17, 14 11:59 AM
BoomchuckPxyNiki wrote: Of course, the second and third, going by the titles in my Game Manager, don't include the "Clues" part of the title 9 Clues, despite being part of the same storyline

Could you please name the titles of these games? And/or what you see as same storyline that would make the other games nr 2 and 3?

Then this would be nr 4 - but at the Dev's page this game is called "9 clues 2:..." and that it's the "second installment in the 9 Clues crime series".

(if so, this could be also the reason, why these are no CE's )

Thank you

Re:No CE?

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Sep 17, 14 12:08 PM
i think the confusion here lies in the fact that there are TWO different sets of games... those whose titles start with 9: and those that start with 9 CLUES .

the 9: series was released first as CEs, while these 9 clues games are SEs.

the 9: games are
9: the dark side CE (and SE)
9: the dark side of notre dame CE (and SE)

the 9 clues games are
9 clues: the secret of serpent creek
9 clues: the ward

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 17, 14 12:25 PM
ah I see - thanks, Cathy!

After re-reading the game descriptions of the "9: Dark Side" series, I'm still wondering about the "part of the same storyline" bit in the OP.

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Sep 17, 14 12:32 PM
Unless my memory is warped, the antagonist from the first 9 Clues games reappears in one of the 9 games. I probably should replay them to check, and it could just be the fact that I bought them all together and assumed the storylines ran together, and as such, my mind filled in the gaps and somehow merged two antagonists together.

Edited on 09/17/2014 at 12:33:30 PM PST

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Sep 17, 14 12:42 PM
Okay... I took a few minutes to look at the opening scenes for each, and I realized that they're from different developers and have different fonts for the "9" part. Chalk this one up for my being a natural blond...

So, never mind my silly question! I've been immersed in too many stories lately (being an English instructor and also a freelance writer who's working on compiling readings for different grade levels to read in preparation for standardized testing, on top of the games I play), so it's all become a bit jumbled in my migraine-y mind.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Sep 17, 14 12:48 PM
the two sets of games are by different developers... not sure i can mention either of them here without being moderated.

one dev is quite well known (think: the enigmatis games) and the other fairly new, with only the 9: games so far. their website says there is another 9: game (bloodline) "coming soon".

HTH

ETA:
guess we were typing at the same time... and you are faster than i...! no surprise!

Edited on 09/17/2014 at 4:19:06 PM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 17, 14 1:39 PM
BoomchuckPxyNiki wrote:... and assumed the storylines ran together, and as such, my mind filled in the gaps and somehow merged two antagonists together.

BoomchuckPxyNiki wrote: ... (being an English instructor and also a freelance writer who's working on compiling readings for different grade levels to read in preparation for standardized testing, on top of the games I play), so it's all become a bit jumbled in my migraine-y mind.

LOL - in any case, you have excellent descriptions/explanations!
I can't remember ONE game once I've closed it.
Thanks for clearing that up, even with checking in the games, and I hope (assuming that you mean a headache unrelated to this topic) that you feel better soon!

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Sep 17, 14 2:59 PM
CathyCatfish wrote:
The 9: games are
9: the dark side CE (and SE)
9: the dark side of notre dame CE (and SE)

the 9 clues games are
9 clues: the secret of serpent creek
9 clues: the ward

Thanks for posting the difference and sometimes confusing similarities between the two!

Can't understand why "Artifex Mundi" choose NOT to release a Mac version of this game, when they did so with the first instalment in the "9 Clues" series?

Soooo disappointed

NouniSmile
Koi
Koi
281,317 Posts

[Post New]by NouniSmile on Sep 17, 14 6:03 PM
I beta tested this game a while ago under another name "9 Clues: Hallways of Madness" and it was a CE version. There were achievements and morphing objects plus other things.
I wonder why BF did offer the CE

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 17, 14 7:26 PM
NouniSmile wrote:I beta tested this game a while ago under another name "9 Clues: Hallways of Madness" and it was a CE version. There were achievements and morphing objects plus other things.
I wonder why BF did offer the CE

Because we're all going to rush to purchase the SE and in a few weeks the CE is probably going to come out and we're all going to be, like, NOOOOO!

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 18, 14 1:29 AM
mrm2006 wrote:Because we're all going to rush to purchase the SE and in a few weeks the CE is probably going to come out and we're all going to be, like, NOOOOO!

To the best of my knowledge, BFG has never published a CE after an SE version. If the SE version comes out first, that's it.
In some cases, BFG chooses to publish the SE version only, while a CE version is available elsewhere (f.e. at the Dev's page or other portals).
But for this game (9 Clues: The Ward), even the other publishing Dev-portal don't have a CE (nor MAC) version, so really astounding where the beta CE vanished.

*I* am not rushing out nonetheless, btw.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Sep 18, 14 1:29 PM
_DD_ wrote:
mrm2006 wrote:Because we're all going to rush to purchase the SE and in a few weeks the CE is probably going to come out and we're all going to be, like, NOOOOO!

To the best of my knowledge, BFG has never published a CE after an SE version. If the SE version comes out first, that's it.
In some cases, BFG chooses to publish the SE version only, while a CE version is available elsewhere (f.e. at the Dev's page or other portals).
But for this game (9 Clues: The Ward), even the other publishing Dev-portal don't have a CE (nor MAC) version, so really astounding where the beta CE vanished.

*I* am not rushing out nonetheless, btw.

this is true. BFG has even stated it. if they don't approve of the content of the CE, they will not offer the game as a CE.

so, if a CE of this game does exist (notice they changed the title as well from the beta, so it might not) it will NOT be offered on BFG.

besides, if you think about it logically, WHY would BFG offer the cheaper SE first, have players buy it and THEN offer the higher-priced CE when many of those who want the game have already bought it? makes no logical business sense. it would mean loss of revenue dollars plus more work for CS to take care of those who wish to "upgrade".

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Sep 18, 14 10:18 PM
_DD_ wrote:
BoomchuckPxyNiki wrote:... and assumed the storylines ran together, and as such, my mind filled in the gaps and somehow merged two antagonists together.

BoomchuckPxyNiki wrote: ... (being an English instructor and also a freelance writer who's working on compiling readings for different grade levels to read in preparation for standardized testing, on top of the games I play), so it's all become a bit jumbled in my migraine-y mind.

LOL - in any case, you have excellent descriptions/explanations!
I can't remember ONE game once I've closed it.
Thanks for clearing that up, even with checking in the games, and I hope (assuming that you mean a headache unrelated to this topic) that you feel better soon!

Haha. Not a problem--I'm a nerd that way... I have to know the answer, and I have to make sure the last thing I said was the most accurate. It's an adventure in my mind at all times.

And thanks. I have headaches on a daily basis and weekly migraines, especially if there's a storm or a change in the weather, and when I posted this yesterday (in Missouri), there were some heavy-duty thunderstorms. In my city, we got 3 inches of rain in an hour. My head had no chance. Today, I'm just dealing with the residual symptoms--lots of dizziness.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 19, 14 3:38 AM
Then I send continuing best wishes to you, BoomchuckPxyNiki!

Thanks for the confirmation, Cathy!

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Sep 20, 14 12:12 AM
I glanced at the developer's website, where, if anywhere, they'd be trying to sell the CE if there is one, but only the SE is shown, so my guess is that they just went ahead with an SE version. I beta-ed the game, too. I'm using one of my free games codes tonight to get it, and I may redownload the beta for comparison later in the month, sheerly for my own curiosity's sake.

Go to: