Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Facade: The Artist and The Prentender Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 18, 14 12:34 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Whoops - spelling mistake in the title which I can't change - sorry!

Edited on 09/18/2014 at 6:33:34 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Facade: The Artist and The Prentender Collector's Editi

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 18, 14 3:08 AM
THE MECHANICAL SPECS OF THIS GAME DO NOT MEET "THE DAVINCI CODE" OF APPROVAL

IT'S TIME TO PLAY "NAME THAT HELPER"

BASED ON BETA OF THE GAME

STORY: Florenzia, Italy, the adopted home of Leonard da Vinci, is the center of the Italian Renaissance in science, art and literature. It has been overtaken by a Mage who cunningly dupes the people of the town. He makes prophecies and makes certain those prophecies occur. He is destroying all works of art and science. You play a famous detective asked by Leonardo to help defeat this mage. When Leonardo is kidnapped, it is up to you to rescue him and save the town.

LEVELS: There are three levels plus the ability to customize the game.

GRAPHICS: The graphics are exquisite as usual for the GamERS. They have some of the best graphics in the business.

SOUND OF/AND "MUZAC" The sound quality is excellent and the "muzac" is unobtrusive and does not interfere with the game.

PACE: This game plods along on a road to boredom. To me, there are too many gimmicks in this game.

FACTOIDS: Throughout the game you receive information concerning DaVinci's art and scientific achievements.

TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES: Occasionally during the game you have the choice between two actions to affect the outcome of the game.

HOP SCENES, PUZZLES, AND INVENTORY: You have the option between Casual and Hard puzzles. I found the puzzles easy even in the Hard mode. The HOP scenes and inventory are interactive. There is an equal mix of HOP scenes and puzzles. Hints are given according to the amount of fans collected and are not a product of time.

EXTRA GOODIES: You receive achievement awards throughout the game. You collect coins to purchase items to assist you in this game. You also collect items which unlock Leonardo's Tales. The beta version did not allow me to view the videos of the tales.

Edited on 09/18/2014 at 4:59:11 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Facade: The Artist and The Prentender Collector's

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 18, 14 3:11 AM
CONTINUED:

HELPERS AND NAME THOSE ANIMALS: YOU MUST NAME YOUR MECHANICAL ANIMAL HELPERS. YOU CANNOT PROCEED UNTIL YOU DO SO.

ALTHOUGH DA VINCI LOVED ANIMALS - HE WOULD PURCHASE THEM TO SET THEM FREE! GOOD ADVICE - I WISH THE GAMERS WOULD FREE ALL THE ANIMAL HELPERS FROM THEIR GAMES!

For your animal aficionados, I am certain you will encounter more frolicking throughout this game. However, I will NOT accompany you on the mechanical safari. This is a NONPURCHASE for me. I do not want to assign names to game helpers. I have a hard enough time nicknaming new devs!

I feel like a fish "floundering "in the desert, gasping breathlessly for a great CE game. Lately, the SEs are better and cheaper.

NOW TO RATE THIS DAVINCI NON-MASTERPIECE. I RATE THIS GAME 2.5 CODICES OUT OF 5 CODICES for a CE.

THIS MAY SEEM LIKE A GOOD CATCH TO SOME OF YOU POND DWELLERS AND MANY MAY LOVE THIS GAME. GOOD FOR YOU!! BUON APPETITO

I will be gone this weekend ( and BF you are SO-SO fortunate I will not be here to post my review for the Forgotten Kingdoms - Dream of Ruin) which I also beta tested.

Edited on 09/18/2014 at 3:34:23 AM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Facade: The Artist and The Prentender Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 18, 14 6:16 AM
This IS based on the completion of the demo which did take me the entire 90 minutes. Maybe I was slow on this one. Not a lot of hand-holding here. I liked that - kind of - keep reading please.

The storyline is pretty basic and described well on the game description page. Disappointed that there's no lip syncing. Disappointed in the voice overs as well. It sounds like it's the same man who's doing all the male character voices. I could be wrong, but that's MY ear telling me that - lol.

There are 4 difficulty modes, including "custom". You find and piece together a map that is transportable and shows what areas are complete, where you need to do something (several open areas at one time - I like that). The strategy guide not only takes you through the demo, but also shows where the collectibles are. There's a "book" that has pages for "stories", "characters" and "notes" but not too much happens in there. There's a pop-up book of Di Vinci's tales where the collectibles go. You collect coins in the game to purchase things you need in a store located in the game.

The HOGs are varied and extremely interactive. Silhouettes and list items. An alternative game/puzzle is available. Mini games. Most that I encountered took time , patience and perseverance I skipped some of them. Too bad, the mini games were the most interesting part of the "game". Yes. haters, there are animal helpers. A mechanical bird to get things in high places - you eventually lose him. A sheep that also helps. I LIKE animal helpers myself. Thank you very much. CE Bling: Disappointing as well? It all; seems pretty weak to me.

There's a LOT of conversation that goes on. Logical conversation pertaining to the game makes perfect sense. But here? Among all the notes, pieces of stories and more, it just seems like the game drags on and on and on with lots of talking and no real game play.

It's boring. A mess of too much going on .... stories within stories within stories within stories and not a game among it all. It's everybody having something to say with an occasional HOG (3 in 90 minutes) and mini game thrown in. It's sad and depressing.

This just isn't a purchase for me. You know where to find a more detailed review.

Have a lovely day. Jeez, this is depressing. A game depressed me. Rated a stretch of 3

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Facade: The Artist and The Prentender Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Sep 18, 14 6:32 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Grim Facade: The Artist and The Pretender Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Grim Facade: The Artist and The Pretender Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:15:07 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 18, 14 6:45 AM
Despite the fact that I'm not a fan of ERS games as a rule, I actually enjoyed the demo of this one. Lots of facts about Leonardo Da Vinci that you may or may not already know are scattered throughout the game. The graphics are as good as always and most voices were fine but one in particular was irritating.

Puzzles ranged from 'easy enough' to 'had to think a bit'. HOS...can't really say I noticed any of the list type; they were all of the interactive kind (that I remember from the demo). Play mode is customisable; the map shows locations where an action is available (if you want it to) and also transports you there.

The downside for me was the now seemingly obligatory 'helpers'. The first one (which was very useful) disappeared after a while but never fear; there's another one on the horizon. Exactly what I'm supposed to do with a sheep is something that may be explained further into the game (although it is mechanical so at least I don't have to feed it). But joy of joys....I get to name it Since you can't move on in the game until you give the sheep a name, I called it Baaa-rbara

Anyway I liked the subject matter; Leonardo really was a genius. So I bought the game and hopefully Barbara will prove useful at some point

ETA: Sadly I lost Barbara quite early on in the game. And aside from the facts about Leonardo, I have to agree with everyone else; the game was pretty boring. The other major irritation was that items had to be placed extremely precisely, otherwise they just jumped back into the inventory This got annoying very quickly, so just as well I didn't pay full price. 9 Clues: The Ward was miles better.

Edited on 09/18/2014 at 12:52:11 PM PST

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Sep 18, 14 7:19 AM
Sunnyglow, thank you for the heads up on the little helpers! No buy for me either! Happy gaming to those who love little helpers!

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Sep 18, 14 8:27 AM
Agree with the others. Not an CE purchase. Will wait for the SE.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Sep 18, 14 9:51 AM
I was hoping game had improved,but no go.I loved the other games in this series but in my opinion this game fell way short,i really got bored and I couldn't even get into it,so it's a no buy.And the Forgotten Kingdom doesn't look good either.So I guess it's candy crush till next week.Unless ther'es abetter game Friday and that's probably going to be a se of a ce

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 18, 14 11:35 AM
Hi all. Well, the 5th edition in this series. Yep, I got the other 4 and really enjoyed them all. Graphics are the usual, nothing special, but nice. Colors for the most part are very clear. Game play was good, no problems. Music was nice and moved with what was happening at the time. Not a lot of sound FX. Voice overs weren't bad, but the Mage's sidekick was extremely annoying and grating on the nerves. In this game, you choose which path you want to take, which may or may not change the outcome of the game. Don't care for this set up, it takes away from the flow of the game play for me. Yes, you have mechanical things everywhere...okay, he was an inventor after all, and a somewhat helpful bird and sheep.

HOPs are nothing new or special. You find silhouettes and put them where they belong in order get whatever piece you need to continue the game. The other I found was a straight HOP. Not difficult at all and are repeated multiple times. There are fans in the HOPs that give you more hints. At least that's the only place I saw them. Puzzles are very simple. Hint system is not that helpful, as it says "nothing to do here, or try another location." That's not what I want a hint to do for me. It is also quite slow on the recharge. The jump map is far more useful, which is quite the opposite to most games. It is very plain, but it does show you where something of interest is to be found. SG is the standard.

The only collectibles I found are coins that you use to buy items to use within the game. Also collect parts of tales (stories), but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything yet, because I didn't collect enough to finish one tale to find out.

There is no real excitement or challenge to this game. I did not feel that the beta was CE worthy and I certainly haven't changed my mind, as no changes seem to have been made to improve the game. I have been known to change my mind once I give the SE version a shot, but there is nothing in this one that will make me want to purchase the CE, maybe the SE...maybe. As much as I like the other 4 in this series, I just didn't feel that this one had anything that made me want to add it to my collection. I found it disappointing and somewhat boring. I only recommend this one because I think a beginner would find it fun.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may like this one. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 18, 14 5:21 PM

Now We Know You Can Even Make Da Vinci Look Bad

An evil Mage has a messiah complex. He is deceiving the people of Florence, Italy with magic and trying to destroy all works of art and science. He has even arrested Leonardo Da Vinci. There is a small number of people who are resisting him, but he is ruthless and cunning. You were summoned by Da Vinci before his arrest to help thwart the Mage.

First the good. The drawing is the usual high quality from this developer; very nice, very detailed, easy to look at. There are some decent mini-games. The hidden object scenes are very interactive. There are four levels of difficulty, and all four have an adjustable time slider for Hint and Skip recharges.

Now the not-so-good. The main impression I got after playing this was that I was being talked down to. I really like art and science. But the story and characters were so simplistic that what should have been an easy sell was actually something I disliked. I was unable to find very much fun in this game. Yes, it has Leonardo Da Vinci, his inventions, his drawings, etc. But the story is the usual "bad dude wants to rule over all" tripe that has been repeated over and over again. There is nothing that makes this game stand out - and any game featuring Da Vinci should.

There is a helper, or rather a couple of them - a mechanical pigeon and sheep. I am ambivalent about them, neither was particularly endearing or annoying.

For those interested, there is a bubble shooter option on the hidden object scenes.

Your profile name is limited to only eight letters. Also, at the beginning of the game you receive a handwritten message from Leonardo. The writing on the scroll is displayed as center-justified. Maybe I am being too critical, but that is not how people write letters - then or now.

What could have been a masterpiece earns only two vitruvian men out of five

Edited on 09/18/2014 at 5:23:37 PM PST

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Sep 18, 14 7:35 PM
I liked the previous Grim Facade games (except for the last one). This one, I did finish the demo, but had to force myself to continue. On a positive note, great colors and graphics, interesting HOS. I couldn't find anything else positive to say. I have not bought a game from BFG in I cannot tell you how long. I am replaying older games... the games which had substance and intrigue and where you actually had to use your brain a bit. This game seemed "dumbed-down". Too much ancillary stuff going on... it detracts from the game. Way too much reading, talking, etc. Seems like the developers were going in circles with 6 different games at once. Again, another no buy for me. I give this a generous 2 and that's only because I do know effort by the developers went into making this.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Sep 18, 14 7:55 PM
I agree with all the other fishies.........boring boring boring game..............
NO BUY NO BY BY BY BY BYE

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Sep 18, 14 9:18 PM
I just finished playing A wealth Of Betrayal a couple of days ago and it was my least liked of the series. Well it was until I played the demo of this game. This game just bored me. I played about half an hour and I couldn't go any more. I have all the other Grim Facade games but this one I won't be adding to my collection.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Sep 19, 14 3:54 AM
I have played for about 30 mins. the trial version, and quit! This game has not flow, the graphics are just above the acceptable, the binocular pointer is really annoying, (I played in custom mode, skipping tutorial and other options), the mechnacal lion is really awful, so the ship's room of the achviements, the story line is silly, but that's not the worst part of it! Enough for me to be disappointed from what I thought would be a promising and intelligent game to play, up to the geniality of L. Da Vinci! Too bad, and I am sorry to say it!

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Sep 19, 14 6:32 AM
mrm2006 wrote:To everyone:

Regarding my review of this game. It has come to my attention that I may have offended some with the use of the word "haters" in my review of this game. It was not meant to offend. It was meant in jest. I, do, however, humbly apologize for mistakenly offending anyone.

Also, regarding my review, I am NOT soliciting " " on my review page for nefarious reasons. I was feeling a little sad because there didn't seem to be much going on with people reading the reviews and was considering stopping altogether, which probably would have led me to quit BFG altogether because I do enjoy demoing and reviewing. I just wanted to generate more traffic TO my review page. A or vote is a personal choice to make. I don't care if you read it and give me a "not helpful" vote. i'm just pleased you read it. Thank you all who do. You certainly wouldn't vote YES for a candidate just because they asked would you? I think not. I would appreciate constructive criticism or thoughts of any kind - good, bad or indifferent if you PM me. Thank you.

Apologies for frigging everything

I personally enjoy your reviews. The review page is not here to appease all players. The review is your own personal opinion, whether it's a or what you thought of the game. Please keep up the good work. When I read a review, I take what I need from it, ignore the rest, and carry on.

Edited on 09/19/2014 at 6:34:17 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 19, 14 3:15 PM
Very good game, lots of twists and turns.. Of course I had to use hints to find where I was at times and the map really helped. A different story but it did keep my attention and puzzles and HOG's were a little different. I like the ERS developers as the graphics are so good and always seem to be drawn to them. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Sep 19, 14 8:15 PM
I guess that I'm in the 'minority' here but I really like the game.

I don't usually go for 'gimmicky' games but I really feel that ERS has done an outstanding job with this one!

The graphics, as usual, are superb and the ambient sounds are something to be marvelled at.

As far as game play itself.....I'm enjoying it. As a puzzle lover there is a lot to be had in this game....both in and out of the HO scenes. And the little tidbits about Da Vinci are interesting.....at least to this player.

So far....I have experienced no problems playing the game on my Laptop with Windows 7....nor do I anticipate any.

But to each his own!

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Sep 19, 14 9:25 PM
As many have mentioned, the graphics are wonderfully done and typical of the dev. However, I am surprised that no one has mentioned that at 2 points during the demo, there is a "choose your own adventure" type of decision to make in order to move the story along. That piece of gameplay, in addition to not being able to continue in the game until you name the sheep ( I am tired of helpers, even mechanical ones), were big cons IMO. I wanted to play the demo to see what it was like, but unfortunately I agree with many of the reviewers and will pass on the CE and possibly the SE.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

I truly enjoyed this game!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Sep 19, 14 11:22 PM
Great job! Loved playing the game. I intend to play once more and choose a different path through the game.

Go to: