bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Welcome to Alchemist's Apprentice forum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 4, 09 11:00 PM
Welcome to Alchemist's Apprentice forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other Alchemist's Apprentice players.

If you have questions about how to use the forums, please click the FAQ link on the right.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Welcome to Alchemist's Apprentice forum

[Post New]by LizzieK on Apr 5, 09 6:13 AM
This game has beautiful graphics but the bright flashes are like having a flash camera go off in your face every few seconds. I have a huge headache after playing the demo. A big thumbs down for me.

[Post New]by Misty1858 on Apr 5, 09 6:35 AM
A big thumbs down for me as well. It has a timer with no options to opt out of it. When are the developers going to learn that not everyone wants to fight against a timer. I loved the graphics but just can't stand the ever decreasing timer! Sorry , I won't be buying this one or any other that doesn't give me the option of whether I want to use a timer.

MtnLady
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by MtnLady on Apr 5, 09 7:09 AM
for me. It is very pretty. I have no problem with flashes? in the game.

Timers.. Generally I would like a choice on these when I buy a game, but if I like the game.. the timer pushes me to try harder to win!

So all in all (myself anyway) am buying this with a game credit today.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 5, 09 8:38 AM
I like the game as well and used a game credit on it yesterday. After having finished Caribbean Hideaway the night before last, I thought the tiles were much harder to discern in that game on certain levels than in this one.

I do understand those who do not like timers, and ideally there should be a choice of no-timer or timer in any match-3. After having played Puzzle Park about two thirds of the way through, I am actually missing the fact that the game has no timer, whereas when a game gets really tough/unfair, I would like to remove the timer. So, I guess it sometimes depends on my mood. It would be wonderful if developers could offer both options.

I love the graphics in this game. My one real complaint is that it is hard for me to figure out sometimes one upgrade tile from another while I am playing.

Gill_Dudley
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_Dudley on Apr 5, 09 1:45 PM
Misty1858 wrote:A big thumbs down for me as well. It has a timer with no options to opt out of it. When are the developers going to learn that not everyone wants to fight against a timer. I loved the graphics but just can't stand the ever decreasing timer! Sorry , I won't be buying this one or any other that doesn't give me the option of whether I want to use a timer.

I agree with you Misty if a game has a timer with no option for relaxed mode it is a big no sale from me. I haven't tried it yet but went on the forum to see if anyone else is having problem downloading it. I an't get past 73% for some reason it stalls then i try again, I have been trying to download this one for 3 hours, I will play the demo but reading your review I won't be buying

smh218
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by smh218 on Apr 5, 09 2:34 PM
I enjoyed the trial and will decide to buy it or not after I try a few others. The TIMER is a BIG deal for me I do not enjoy getting frustrated when I have paid for something. Game developers you need to realise alot of us do not want to be timed. Other than that I liked the game

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 5, 09 2:41 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, so I will say this just in case. In the three instances I have failed a level due to running out of time, the game asked me if I wished to try again with extra time added on. So, this is definitely not a game where, if you fail the first time around, you have to start all over at the very beginning. This, for me, redeems the timer issue somewhat.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 5, 09 4:20 PM
I am quite amazed at your post, Howatch. I have failed level 2.8 five times (badly, each time, like getting only 60% of the way done before the timer ran out), and there certainly was never a suggestion that I had an opportunity to repeat the level with time added on. I know you can get (a little) extra time by matching green crystals, but this has not helped me enough. Could you explain how you got this offer of a slower timer that I have never seen?

Just to clarify one thing: before level 2.8, I had not EVER lost on the timer, so this sudden timer severity really shocked me. Usually timing out sneaks up slowly and repeating a level once or twice will allow you to move along. Now I am ready to throw this game away.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 5, 09 5:19 PM
Darn it; I can't remember now what the circumstances were when I was offered to try again with extra time added on. As soon as I see this message again, I will post the details of what it said; what I do know is that I received this offer three times now, and I'm now in the fourth section of the game.

I will keep you posted, and hopefully I will receive this message again and can post with the details!

Now I'm intensely curious, seeing that you have not received this message. I'm wondering if it has to do with amount of coins, upgrades, or what...

bep1
Shark
Shark
10,381 Posts

[Post New]by bep1 on Apr 5, 09 6:04 PM
I just passed that level. After you fail the first time, it asked if you want to give up ten thousand points for 30 seconds added on, and I chose yes. The second time, I won the level with no problem.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 5, 09 6:44 PM
bep1 wrote:I just passed that level. After you fail the first time, it asked if you want to give up ten thousand points for 30 seconds added on, and I chose yes. The second time, I won the level with no problem.

Thank you for helping me remember that! I appreciate it, and so will the other fishies.

[Post New]by OEvgen on Apr 6, 09 12:17 AM
I really liked the fast-paced Match 3 gameplay, which was lacking in other games. I love the colorful mini-game with leprikon, it helps to pass the level and makes the game varied.

[Post New]by scrambler on Apr 6, 09 5:48 AM
Though I'm not big fan of match-3 games this one is quite enjoying. The art is charming and the gameplay is meditative at first, although it becomes somewhat more challenging as you move on. Frankly, I failed to complete a level in time couple times, but in my opinion this makes game even more interesting (I just took extra 30-seconds on restart and completed it on second try). All in all, good way to kill some weekend evenings.

Edited on 04/06/2009 at 5:51:03 AM PST

[Post New]by PattyW on Apr 6, 09 7:17 PM
I am having a heck of a time with my cursor moving slowly. The only place it does it is when I am on the match 3 boards. I have the most current Flash player, so I don't know what the problem is. I am so frustrated that I am not even going to finsh the trial version. Loved the graphics though

Edited on 04/07/2009 at 7:04:07 AM PST

frummy
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by frummy on Apr 7, 09 9:57 AM
This game get a . I love to play matchs 3 games but this one is not for me. I hate those bright flashes and those coins turning and turning when you are playing. Maybe it are the graphigs I do not know but I stopped after 15 minutes and deleted.

MsMander
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by MsMander on Apr 7, 09 10:25 AM
I uninstalled the trial version before the trial ended. I was disgusted because the game is promoted as a "Hidden Object" game, but is only a match 3 as far as I could see. It seemed endless and I gave up waiting for the "hidden object" part. I don't really like match 3 games very often, and that is all I saw in this one during the trial. I kept playing this mindless thing hoping the trial would hurry up and end so I could uninstall it, finally saying to heck with it and dumped it prior to end of 60 minutes. It went on and on and on with no hidden object portion...is there one? I kind of figure they mis-classified this one.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Apr 11, 09 7:51 PM
The HO part is only once per level. While I am not normally a timed game fan (being old = slower reflexes) I had no trouble winning this one...because there's strategy involved, yay! Like, I upgraded the time thingy as soon as I could, because I knew time would be my biggest issue - and then when matching, looked for and matched those gems that would pump the time up. Good thing, because my leprechaun was only as fast as me, meaning we got whapped in the head a lot and didn't get a bunch of coins...the win-a-character rounds were fortunately not too fast...
As usual with many of these games, the dialogue was full of errors; spelling and grammar apparently don't have a high priority with developers. The games look amateurish as a result.

Instructions???

[Post New]by Brubble on Apr 13, 09 12:26 PM
The game is OK. I have no instructions on this game and therefore do not know
what tiles increase time, etc. My instructions for play are only one page that tells how to switch tiles - that's it. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

Instructions???

[Post New]by cat52 on Apr 15, 09 4:39 AM
Brubble wrote:The game is OK. I have no instructions on this game and therefore do not know
what tiles increase time, etc. My instructions for play are only one page that tells how to switch tiles - that's it. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Hi, and welcome to the forums. That's all the instructions anyone gets! You learn this one by playing. What you will find is that your gold coins buy "upgrades" to various buildings. Each building upgrade boosts the power of those gems that appear in some of the tiles instead of gold coins. When you make matches using the boosted tiles, keep an eye on the pictures to the left of the screen and you'll see the meter for that color gem (not tile - the tile can be any color, it's the gem that matters) go up. When it is full, you get the power-up effect. For example, the red gem meter is for a fireball.

Hope this helps - enjoy!

Go to: