bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 19, 14 12:29 AM
From ERS Game Studios, creators of the beloved PuppetShow series!

You have been called to Paris to investigate a string of mysterious abductions. Several women vanished recently after being struck by mysterious lightning bolts. What's more, it appears the women are being turned into... puppets! But just who is behind the crimes, what do they want, and how does it all work? To find out, you'll need to explore the streets of Paris, solving tricky puzzles and uncovering hidden clues. Just remember to keep your wits about you... Not everything is as it seems in this thrilling Hidden Objects Puzzle Adventure game.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

Re:PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Sep 19, 14 5:37 AM
Can you guys please release something that isn't by ERS? Although saying that, I've Beta'd this forgotten kingdoms (not sure if that's the correct name) game that others mentioned in recent threads and if that's what's coming out Saturday as I suspect it is…can Mac players get The Ward or the one we didn't get last week instead? Or maybe one of these fantastic games I have been beta testing lately?

But on topic, I demoed this game and although I know some are die hard fans of this series, I'm really hoping it will be laid to rest on the shelf soon. I loved 1&2 but that was almost 5 years ago…This series has run it's course IMO

Cheers

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Re:PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 19, 14 8:18 AM
First, let me say that I didn't play any of the previous games in this series, however, my review IS based on the completion of this demo.

There are 3 levels of difficulty (sorry, no "custom" - smile). There is a transportable map, a diary that contains notes, character information and your tasks, a evidence folder - you will find cards that need to be placed in the appropriate place on the board and a hint which will also transport you.

The HOGs I played were varied. The mini games were fun as well. Putting one of the posters together took some time (for me) but the sense of satisfaction I got when it FINALLY came together was worth every minute! (big congratulatory pat on the back for me!).

The characters you meet are truly ... characters. A ship's captain, who while dangling by a rope in the air STILL holds onto his cigar - lol (I remember smoking (I quit some years ago - YAY ME --- but yep, smokers are very protective of their "smokes" - lol). Also, a young boy who claims he knows "everyone" in town and insists he can help you. A fortune teller who puts you through your paces before she'll give you any information.

There's a LOT of cut scenes. I don't know if this generous amount continues in the entire game. It can be a bit distracting. The voice overs were okay, but, I did notice the hands moved, the eyes blinked, dare I say I could see the chest move as the character breathed? But, no lip syncing? How hard would it have been to add moving lips? HUH? A definite "hmmm" moment. Maybe the employee in charge of lip movement was out on vacation or something.

I saw characters from other games I've played (Maestro, for instance). And, when I did see them, it was almost an immediate purchase for me. I'm still a little on the fence, but I think I might just get it with a coupon on Bonus Punch Monday - lol.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I know I'm probably in the minority. But, IMO, I believe those of us who DID NOT play the previous games will enjoy this as a stand-alone game. While those who are true diehard fans of the Puppet games will probably be more disappointed. So sad - too bad.

Go to: