Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 19, 14 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews

Edited on 09/19/2014 at 6:52:36 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes here

[Post New]by NancySusan on Sep 19, 14 5:42 AM
I'm copying in my review for the CE and will check out the demo for the SE, but I remember not being very impressed by this game.

"My overwhelming feeling from this game was I might get it as an SE, but only maybe. My computer seems to like ERS, so the color is great, and I stayed with 'classic' rather than 'steampunk' (but when I went back to check out steampunk, it said the whole thing would have to reload, so I never found out the difference). I played on middle level difficulty, given I've played most of the other PuppetShows and felt comfortable with it, but really, this game feels nothing like the other PuppetShows, other than the name, the puppets which pop up here and there, and the darkness of the story. Gameplay is pretty simplistic both on HOP's and mini-games, particularly on mini-games. There is a LOT of dialogue, and about mid-way through the 40 some minutes I spent playing, I began to click to get through it as fast as possible. The piggy bank collectibles were ok, but there's nothing else to find. I don't care if there are sparkles or not, but it was a little disconcerting to see sparkles on advanced play, and the tutorial was so intrusive, I wondered what people had to put up with on casual play. As the story unfolded, I did like that, but generally it was an okay game, only that, particularly given my GM full of unplayed games staring at me. I do think (and it's obvious this is true) that a lot of people will like it, particularly if you're not looking to duplicate the intricateness of the other games."

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Sep 19, 14 6:52 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on PuppetShow: Lightning Strikes.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:14:12 AM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 19, 14 8:26 AM
First, let me say that I didn't play any of the previous games in this series, however, my review IS based on the completion of this demo.

There are 3 levels of difficulty (sorry, no "custom" - ). There is a transportable map, a diary that contains notes, character information and your tasks, an evidence folder and a hint which will also transport you.

The HOGs I played were varied. The mini games were fun as well. Putting one of the posters together took some time (for me) but the sense of satisfaction I got when it FINALLY came together was worth every minute! (big congratulatory pat on the back for me! ).

The characters you meet are truly ... characters. A ship's captain, who while dangling by a rope in the air STILL holds onto his cigar - lol (I remember smoking (I quit some years ago - YAY ME --- but yep, smokers are very protective of their "smokes" - lol). Also, a young boy who claims he knows "everyone" in town and insists he can help you. A fortune teller who puts you through your paces before she'll give you any information.

There's a LOT of cut scenes. I don't know if this generous amount continues in the entire game. It can be a bit distracting. The voice overs were okay, but, I did notice the hands moved, the eyes blinked, dare I say I could see the chest move as the character breathed? But, no lip syncing? How hard would it have been to add moving lips? HUH? A definite "hmmm" moment. Maybe the employee in charge of lip movement was out on vacation or something.

I saw characters from other games I've played (Maestro, for instance). And, when I did see them, it was almost an immediate purchase for me. I'm still a little on the fence, but I think I might just get it with a coupon on Bonus Punch Monday - lol.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I know I'm probably in the minority. But, IMO, I believe those of us who DID NOT play the previous games will enjoy this as a stand-alone game. While those who are true diehard fans of the Puppet games will probably be more disappointed. So sad - too bad.

As usual, you know where to find my (a bit more ) detailed review.

Happy Gaming!

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

Oh, I am so sad this series ended up here :(

[Post New]by AirCoco on Sep 19, 14 8:58 PM
I am sticking my head into the forum to review this as I am just so, so sad about this game. (I lurk a lot and read a ton of reviews and thank you all for writing them! I am 17 and living on my own and paying for college so can't afford a Club membership so have to choose games wisely)

I loved, loved loved most of the Puppetshow games (one was dismal but I'll refrain from mentioning it all since this isn't about them, it's about the new game now) and wasn't this series magic? I mean that puppet head thing? Woah! I was so eager to see where this game went and I just stopped when I got to chapter 3. I am so disappointed.

I can't even believe it's the same series. The graphics are beautiful as always but the game is so simplistic. There is none of the tense weird scary Puppet creepiness. The Hidden object scenes are given as pictures, like find 13 pieces of twine or as B & W pictures and you're given a pretty scene. Some are clever - you have to click on many flowers to open them up, then expose an item, which you collect. But...this isn't exactly riveting fun. I found myself very bored. The puzzles are easy. I was thinking this is almost so dumbed down. Non-jumpable map, very linear, do this, go there, use it, go there find this use it. It was just lacking Whatever it is that grabbed me the times these games were awesome. "Brake" was used instead of "break", scenes were sluggish to load at times. The dialogue was endless and there were sparkles and hints before you even wanted or needed them (on casual). Just way too easy but my bad for not playing it on a harder level.

Then I got to one of the chapters and I stopped and I'm sorry - had to quit. The content insulted me. It's not the snakes or a spider. It concerns the fact that one of the missing girls in the story was a nun. So now we find ourselves at an abandoned church with a figure tied to a burning stake out front. We're told by the evil Puppet in the story that "faithless nuns" are burned at the stake. REALLY? On the altar is a paper with "Holy water recipe" on it ("spring water and a prayer") and a stand that says "looks like a holder for "some special book". (Yep, it's called "a bible") I am not a religious "nut" nor am I christian, but I found this astoundingly insensitive and in bad taste, and I'm done with the game.

I hope this post isn't taken down as it does review the game's content. Thanks all for all reviews!

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Sep 20, 14 9:33 AM
I'm afraid this is a no buy for me. I've played the other Puppetshow games and really like them, but this just doesn't appeal to me. I just finished another "steampunk" game and don't really care for them. Also, on the technical side, the game moves slowly from scene to scene and sort of "stuttery". Will pass.

[Post New]by paddywag on Sep 24, 14 1:33 PM
I purchased this game based on the previous ones, which were somewhat entertaining, but seriously, big fish....... WHO is writing the dialog and hints for your games now?? PLEASE hire people who speak ENGLISH, know proper grammar and spelling......! I found this so stilted and distracting, I couldn't enjoy the game at all!

Fifiluna614
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Fifiluna614 on Sep 27, 14 9:15 PM
I found the English to be more than stilted - sometimes it was completely incomprehensible. One puzzle instruction said you had to hunt for "consiliences"???
I know they have someone over at ERS who can write better English than this!

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Oct 14, 14 9:28 AM
Based on completed game:

Gosh! What a long, tedious, weird game with no puppet anywhere in sight! I'm shaking my head with this sequel that spells the ruin of the awesome Puppetshow series. Where's that creepy puppet, the suspense and superb game play from before?

It's as if ERS outsourced it w/ a simple instruction: Go forth and multiply until Shanta says: Come to me and I'll give you rest. The usual gimmick of breaking up clues over several locations to increase game length is in full use here. Without the map (I play over several days), I'd be completely lost with all that back-and-forth.

The graphics, as always, are the saving grace - brilliant, detailed and superb; typical of ERS games. The cut scenes, IMO, were silly.....that dude w/ shiny eyes and a throat seemingly infected w/ lightning.....!

Some parts are good, even decent if you have endless patience (I don't).

Overall, I can't fathom why ERS would choose to ruin their previous work. But, what do I know? I used to be a loyal fan who'd buy their games w/o demos. Henceforth, I'm going to exercise more caution.

Superb graphics just aren't enough to disguise a rotten game. For good game play and a solid story, I'm willing to ignore any grammatical errors (or what's being passed off as English in this game).

LOL moment: Rihanna as a nun? I'll bet she'll drink to that...!

Note to ERS: Resting on your laurels is a great way to crush them.

Edited on 10/15/2014 at 12:48:17 PM PST

[Post New]by IndianMoney on Oct 17, 14 9:26 PM
I love playing Lighting strikes, I played both verse. I enjoyed both verse I love how the graphs look in both verse play the game wasn't to hard to figure out. The games also gave good hits and guides I give the game . I brought the game so I can play it again. I have love most of the puppetshow games that big fish has online. This game is for me.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 22, 14 7:56 AM
Hmmmm, I certainly played better PuppetShow games. This one seemed a bit bland. I played on the casual mode as I always do and this mode certainly "held your hand" a lot more than others I played.

HOS were not interesting at all...mostly collecting pieces of things like string and bells, etc. I skipped almost everyone of the tedious puzzles. Good thing the skip and hint refreshed very quickly. Transporter map was terrific, it took you where you needed to go to get something done...no guessing there. Voice overs were a hoot...those accents! Give me a break.

Graphics were a bit dark and animations so so. Can't say I was blown away with this one....seemed awfully short too. I won't even waste words on the awful spelling and grammar...good grief.

I can only give this one a 2+ out of 5....better luck next time.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Oct 22, 14 7:33 PM
Well, this was certainly a very different puppetshow game but I enjoyed it.
I always play casual but from time to time go back and try hard but I don't often succeed as well.
This is a 4 out of 5 for me.

[Post New]by topbananadude1 on Mar 3, 15 9:16 AM
The other posts reflect all of my concerns and disappointments with this non-PuppetShow game. I found the deplorable grammar especially disconcerting. To sum it up, I wasted my money on this one.

Edited on 03/03/2015 at 9:17:01 AM PST

[Post New]by whitetwig on Mar 16, 15 3:59 PM
I bought this Puppetshow game based on the others which I enjoyed very much. This game is an insult to the people who created the other PuppetShow games. What were you thinking?

Go to: