bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Forgotten Kingdoms: Dream of Ruin Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 20, 14 12:29 AM
Brought to you by Vast Studios, creators of the Nightfall Mysteries and Dark Canvas series, comes a thrilling new fantasy brand!

You're an Ambassador from a distant kingdom, carrying a prince's marriage proposal to the lovely Princess Selene. But Selene has been having recurring nightmares that her kingdom will be destroyed if she marries. She refuses her heart's desire... and a mysterious spell suddenly sinks her into a deadly reverie. The heartsick Queen binds your life to Selene's – if you don't save her, you'll die, too! Can you find a cure in time - or will both your lives be forfeit to Selene's visions? Find out as you travel through distant lands in this exciting Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won't find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector's Edition includes:

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Forgotten Kingdoms: Dream of Ruin Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 20, 14 3:13 AM
'ello Flounder...

I had a go at the demo, and here is a bit of a review:

There are 3 Difficulty modes: Citizen, Royalty, Legend.
You can change difficulty mode any time during gameplay.

There is widescreen, voice-over, and a choice of 2 different-sized custom and the system cursor.

There are 36 Achievements.

There are Kingdom cards to find throughout the game. I believe those are the only collectables.

The HOS I have come across were Lists with some interaction.

Puzzles can be skipped. Didn't much care for the ones I encountered.

Both Hint and Skip button take 50 seconds to fill in Citizen mode - a little too slow for my liking.

Shortly into the game you will get a map. It shows you where you are, where actions are available, and it can be used to jump.

The Inventory can be locked to stay on top or unlocked to disappear until needed.

Your Strategy Guide sits on top of your Inventory, at the left-hand side.

Also shortly into the game, you will get a magical Gauntlet, which will give you power over the 4 Elements. The first element you will get is Fire.

--- --- ---

What I have played so far didn't throw me off my chair with excitement.

The graphics are OK, but I have seen better.

This is one of those fantasy games, where you ride/fly on a Tiger with wings, and encounter dragons.

The story itself is not bad, but gameplay was just plain boring for me. Looking at the games from Vast Studios, it sometimes seems to me as if 2 different developers have made them. Some are like this one, and others are so much more interesting, and have better graphics.

But that's just the way I feel about it. I am sure other gamers will love this one.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 20, 14 6:04 AM
Hi Valdy and a very Good Saturday to you.

Thank you for a great review. Riding/flying on a Tiger and meeting dragons, you say?

Ok, sold! LOL

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 20, 14 7:13 AM
LOL Hey, no tiger riding on a tiger. The poor thing wouldn't know whether he is up or down.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 20, 14 7:40 AM
Well, as it's no surprise - I ADORE Tigers so this one is downloading right now. I always love seeing them in games, but have never usually had more than a cursory interaction with them (such as bandaging a cut).

I'm very much looking forward to this game. I don't mind which way he flies LOL.

I'm still with Grim Tales.... this may prove to be a long Saturday afternoon / evening / night spent in self-indulgent gaming. Yay!!!

P.S.: I'm a lightweight Tiger. I won't squash him, I promise LOL.

Edited on 09/20/2014 at 7:43:05 AM PST

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Sep 20, 14 10:17 AM
I played 40 minutes and liked the game. Once I got used to the game play it wasn't very hard. The guide helped me when I needed it. The mouth movement doesn't bother me either. I think ths is going to be an interesting story. I will purchase.

bbelle

Hapless, I just read your post and I very much agree.

Edited on 09/20/2014 at 10:21:44 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 20, 14 12:18 PM
I have to agree with what Valdy said

" The story itself is not bad, but gameplay was just plain boring for me. Looking at the games from Vast Studios, it sometimes seems to me as if 2 different developers have made them. Some are like this one, and others are so much more interesting, and have better graphics. "

I wanted to like this game but somehow it just didn't throw me off my chair either. Usually I love Vast games, but this one missed the mark IMO.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Sep 20, 14 4:20 PM
for me rather ruin of dreams than the real tittle!just saying!

triercl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by triercl on Sep 21, 14 5:22 PM
This is ridiculous! Paid 13.99 for this game and it doesn't work right! gears with no clue, magnifying glass does nothing - hint button takes forever - what seems to be the problem? I think I need my money back

alowan
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by alowan on Oct 4, 14 4:21 PM
Somehow they never say this on the tech thread... I have had a lot of luck by using Task Manager to remove the game, rebooting my computer, and re-downloading it.

If that doesn't work, I use Task Manager to remove the game, and to remove Game Manager, rebooting, and re-downloading the game (which will automatically reload Game Manager).

Oddly enough, I haven't had to do this since I "moved up" to Windows 8. (IOW, 2 computers died on me.)

It doesn't work all the time. I get automatic updates to everything, which probably helps.

Hi, Valdy! Long time no see!

Go to: