Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Forgotten Kingdoms: Dream of Ruin Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 20, 14 12:47 AM
A thread for your reviews

Edited on 09/20/2014 at 6:32:24 AM PST

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Forgotten Kingdoms: Dream of Ruin Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Sep 20, 14 1:45 AM
I beta tested this game and although I had high hopes for it since its by VAST, I just got this total sense of Deja Vu playing it. I had to check BFG's game database to make sure it wasn't part of a series and its not. Its the same portal, dream kingdom game that we just keep seeing over and over. I wrote that I got a helper during the beta and that the puzzles seemed overly easy. I like fairy tale, dream games sometimes but there seems to be an overabundance of them right now. I just can't keep buying the same game over and over again. But if you like helpers, fairy tales and rebuilding and saving the kingdom then this game is for you. I did not demo it so I don't know if they made changes.

VAST's game Curse of The Opera is one of my all time favorites so I was quite disappointed with this offering. I keep my hopes up that some of that creative one of a kind talent comes back around.

Cheers to those who like this game.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Forgotten Kingdoms: Dream of Ruin Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 20, 14 2:33 AM
Very well stated "megwoman2 I could not have said it any better. I think this has to be some of the worst voice over acting, I've ever heard in a game. It is one of the slowest moving story lines. Finding the collectables are so small! We have played this game so many times before...this story has been played out. But, we have and had...better quality games than this one. I'm sorry to say! IMO

I found it to be boring and to slow. The colors are so lack luster's. I'm not sure I would even buy this game as a DD or COTW. I don't like to be so harsh on a game. I do appreciate the hard work the Developers have put into this game. But this story line...graphics & animations...are just not up to par. IMO

But always try the game for yourself. This one might be the one for you. But, I'm sorry to say, it's not for me.

I rate this game: "PORK BELLY"

“These are my terms for Hogs, I Hogs, frogs & Adventure games.

“DIVINE FINE SWINE”
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game.
It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot.

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 20, 14 3:43 AM
I have just finished the free trial of this game, I won't go into too much detail as others do it far better than I could

There are 6 Chapters - I had just started chapter 3 when the demo ended.

There is a Bonus Game and Collectibles but there was no information on either, although I did find some playing cards which show that there are 5 cards to collect for each character.

There is a Jump Map once you have found the pieces for it.

Music - I always have the sound on but only really notice it if I can't take listening to it anymore and turn it off, however I didn't with this game so I would say the music is unobtrusive.
Graphics - ok but not the best.
Voice Overs - no lip movement and they were dreadful, except the dragon I did like his voice.
HOS - reasonably good, slightly interactive but there is no help in the Strategy Guide for them, and there is no option to play a Bubble Popper or Mahjong game to complete them.
Helper - I didn't see one at all Cute or Ugly.
Mini Games & Puzzles - super simple and oddly enough the Strategy Guide gives you the answers.
Game Play IMO only - slow and boring.

What really annoyed me with this game was -

The cursor frequently changed to a magnifying glass or cog wheels which means to me there is something to do or read or collect in that area, so I clicked on everyone, on the odd occasion it opened a small window or zoomed into a spot but the majority of them showed me nothing. It was the same with Sparkles - nothing happened.

There is a mini game where you have to save the dragon hatchlings - I accidentally moved one of them before I had finished rotating the pieces. Could I direct back to the beginning - NO! To make matters worse there was no reset button and you can't back out of the game so I had to Skip the puzzle something I haven't done for ages.

Just like the new CE game earlier this week this is a no buy for me.

However I hope later in the day I read some positive reviews as the developers deserve it for the time spent on making the game.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Sep 20, 14 4:03 AM
I'm not sure about this one yet. I do like the story so far, and don't mind the voices. But no lip synch is a bit disappointing, imo.

The graphics are very well done, and I like the colours and the music. I did have to skip a couple of mini games, just to finish them.

But the biggest bugbear, is that the so called "Hint" button tells me nothing! As Daxadillion said, the cog wheels go round and round, and the hint points in various directions, but there is nothing to read to help me I have to keep going to the SG to find out what I am supposed to do. Very annoying!

I'll finish the demo, but as for buying - I just don't know.

Jen

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Sep 20, 14 4:32 AM
mamajay wrote:I'm not sure about this one yet. I do like the story so far, and don't mind the voices. But no lip synch is a bit disappointing, imo.

The graphics are very well done, and I like the colours and the music. I did have to skip a couple of mini games, just to finish them.

But the biggest bugbear, is that the so called "Hint" button tells me nothing! As Daxadillion said, the cog wheels go round and round, and the hint points in various directions, but there is nothing to read to help me I have to keep going to the SG to find out what I am supposed to do. Very annoying!

I'll finish the demo, but as for buying - I just don't know.

Jen
I agree with you. Nothing to read what to do. I don't know if I buy this game. CE or SE.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Sep 20, 14 4:39 AM
Well I finished the demo, and while I am still a bit 'ticked off' about the non-existent hint information, the game has caught my interest.

I am playing casual mode (as I usually do), which is why I can't understand the no-information hints. Sigh. Presumably it is not a glitch, as everything else in the game is working just fine.

Ah well, I suppose it is good for the brain to actually think, sometimes, lol.

I shall keep this one in my Maybe Purchase folder.

Jen

FunIt
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by FunIt on Sep 20, 14 4:48 AM
I've been a Gameclub member for many years now. I bought most of the CE's, so I must have played hundreds by now, which I thought makes me a HOG veteran of some sort.

Not with this game, I'm not! I have never felt so lost in game! No text, no message, no idea what to do.
I always play on "easy", because I want to relax, not be frustrated.

In this game, when you click on something, you hardly get a noise to acknowledge the click. Not even the obligatory "I need a key." Nothing. Without the SG I wouldn't even have got started.

I stopped with 20 min left to the demo, it's just to frustrating.

Sorry, no buy.

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Sep 20, 14 6:32 AM
Hey Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Forgotten Kingdoms: Dream of Ruin Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Forgotten Kingdoms: Dream of Ruin Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:14:00 AM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Sep 20, 14 6:34 AM
Daxadillion wrote:

What really annoyed me with this game was -

The cursor frequently changed to a magnifying glass or cog wheels which means to me there is something to do or read or collect in that area, so I clicked on everyone, on the odd occasion it opened a small window or zoomed into a spot but the majority of them showed me nothing. It was the same with Sparkles - nothing happened.

This is exactly what ticked me of as well, and the loads of dialogs

[Post New]by NancySusan on Sep 20, 14 7:21 AM
Despite an interesting story I won't be buying this due to various weird issues. There is a lot of the magnifying glass or cog wheels showing, but no text as to what to do, and sometimes the magnifying glass is shown but there is no zoom as well as no explanation. I played 36 minutes of the game, beginning on middle difficulty, but switched to easy when I had the above problem, then, of course, discovered that it also existed on easy. No idea why the dev. did that, it makes no sense at all. During my 36 minutes I found 1 totally normal HOP. The hint button on easy takes 60 seconds to recharge, but I have no idea how long the skip button takes. I didn't even see any particular difference between easy and middle difficulty. The mini-games, and there were several, were of the remember which order the lights come on; move horizontal sections of a picture to get the whole, based on something in your journal or in the scene, requiring you to exit the mini-game to see what the picture is supposed to look like, and some of the pictures are rather abstract images, good luck. There was also one of my hates, (due to my dyslexia) -- having to rotate items in a circular fashion to match the correct image it belongs to -- I usually give up on these out of frustration, but apparently others do just fine on them, so don't take my word for it. Nvidia liked this developer, so the color was true, but because it was slightly stretched to fit my 23" widescreen, the color was also a little rough, almost unfinished looking. The voice overs didn't bother me as much as some people, think living room acting, rather than stage, screen or TV, and I also don't care if lips move, since the lip moving thing can be so out of sync anyway, but the acting was pretty underwhelming. I found one kind of collectible -- cards with an image matching the insignia of the area/kingdom/queendom you're in at the time. The SG locks the collectible info., so I don't know if anything else is available. The story itself becomes interesting only when the "Ambassador" is blamed for a tragic happening and is linked with the possible death of the princess he has come to present a marriage proposal to and he then is sent on a quest, which, if successful, prevents both their deaths. However, I just lost patience. I may check out the SE, but the devs. need to work on cleaning up game play. I do think others may like the game just fine.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Sep 20, 14 10:57 AM
This is not what I would consider a CE....except for the SG which had to be constantly used due to the almost useless hints.....gears and magnifying glass with no info as to what to do or where to go....REALLY? I enjoyed the game and thought the graphics were nice and the music unobtrusive but for a CE price is a no go. I might get it on a 2 for 1 sale as the SG is necessary to play the game which is not even intuitive enough that you can figure out where to go or what to do.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Sep 20, 14 12:48 PM
I just had to quit.This game was driving me nuts.I don't go to the guide unless I have to and this game it's always having to.There is no instructions and no guideness what so ever.So this makes two bad Ce's this week and to me that's unusal.So I guess it's waiting till next week and pray something good comes out.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 20, 14 1:40 PM

Dream of Ruin a Nightmare to Play

Prince Armus of the kingdom of Aeria asks for the hand of Princess Selene, of the kingdom of Tida, (pronounced tye-dah) in marriage. She wants to say yes, but has had a recurring dream of her kingdom in flames and her mother, Queen Beatrix, dead. When she refuses the offer, she is cursed into an unconscious state. Queen Beatrix binds your life (you're the Ambassador who delivered the marriage proposal) to Selene's life. You have to find a way to lift the curse before Selene dies.

As you may have gathered from the summary, this is one of those kingdoms, dragons, princess, portals, powers, and potions games. Those of you who like these games understand all the "rules" that apply here. Well at least I hope you do, because I did not. Adding to that, there is little, if any, on screen help - which I did not mind too much. Problem was that when I DID figure out what to do, most of the time it was illogical. I'm not talking fantasy game illogical, I mean just off the wall illogical. So that reduced the fun factor quite a bit.

Another thing that is not fun is when the game crashes on you. This happened to me twice during the trial - so I am leery of possible bugs. The last puzzle was a painting puzzle and I don't care for those anyway so it was time to quit.

The game is puzzle-heavy (19) and hidden object light (7). There are 25 collectible cards (5 each for 5 characters) which will complete the character's stories. There are achievements and the three standard non-customizable modes of difficulty.

I don't like games that I cannot make sense out of and end up wandering around without a clue. If I wanted that, I'd go play an adventure game. However, if this is your kind of game, I'd get the CE because you're probably going to need the strategy guide - that is, unless you know all the "rules" for these games.

This is a dream I hope never recurs. Two fiery dragons out of five.

ETA: I forgot to note that one of the hidden object scenes contains a totally out-of-place shuriken.

Edited on 09/20/2014 at 4:31:05 PM PST

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Sep 20, 14 4:14 PM
CoolGrammy1 wrote:This is not what I would consider a CE....except for the SG which had to be constantly used due to the almost useless hints.....gears and magnifying glass with no info as to what to do or where to go....REALLY? I enjoyed the game and thought the graphics were nice and the music unobtrusive but for a CE price is a no go. I might get it on a 2 for 1 sale as the SG is necessary to play the game which is not even intuitive enough that you can figure out where to go or what to do.

Agreed. The scenes with gears should at least allow intuitive guessing at what to do, but far too many didn't in this game. Clicking the Hint was useless, since the highlighted area often had nothing to do with what actually had to be done in the scene.

I had to constantly use the strategy guide, which is annoying. This game still needs work.

No sale.

Debbi190
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Debbi190 on Sep 20, 14 4:30 PM
I am in agreement with everyone else. I was wondering why BFG's hasn't fixed the problem, or notified the developers what is being said. If they are going to put this much effort into a game, they should at least make if playable.

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on Sep 20, 14 8:33 PM
A moderator posted this in the technical problems forum above:

It has come to our attention that some players are seeing a bug that's causing none of the text to appear when clicking on some of the interactive areas while playing Forgotten Kingdoms: Dream of Ruin Collector's Edition. We just wanted to let you know that the developers are aware of this and are working on a solution.

We'll definitely post an announcement in the Forums as soon as an update is available. In the meantime, thank you all for your patience.

bfgWaimea

I am really drawn to the game and am trying to decide whether to purchase it now at the sale price or wait until there is a fix. So many of my games are done in browns and greys and full of demons and blood. I like these whimsical ones for a change of pace. Hope it gets fixed soonest.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 20, 14 9:35 PM
Debbi190 wrote:I am in agreement with everyone else. was wondering why BFG's hasn't fixed the problem, or notified the developers what is being said. If they are going to put this much effort into a game, they should at least make if playable.

If everyone would notify BFG via the "HELP", "CONTACT US" link when there is a tech issue, BFG WOULD notify the DEVS, but the MODS (sorry MODS, nothing against you) really don't do anything.

Edited on 09/20/2014 at 9:37:16 PM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 20, 14 10:39 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:
mrm2006 wrote:

If everyone would notify BFG via the "HELP", "CONTACT US" link when there is a tech issue, BFG WOULD notify the DEVS, but the MODS (sorry MODS, nothing against you) really don't do anything.

That's not necessary. In the tech thread the mods already posted that the developers are aware of this and are working on a solution. They will post when an update is available.

I stand humbly corrected. Many thanks for straightening me out

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Sep 21, 14 12:16 AM
MoreOver wrote:A moderator posted this in the technical problems forum above:

It has come to our attention that some players are seeing a bug that's causing none of the text to appear when clicking on some of the interactive areas while playing Forgotten Kingdoms: Dream of Ruin Collector's Edition. We just wanted to let you know that the developers are aware of this and are working on a solution.

We'll definitely post an announcement in the Forums as soon as an update is available. In the meantime, thank you all for your patience.

bfgWaimea

...I am really drawn to the game and am trying to decide whether to purchase it now at the sale price or wait until there is a fix. So many of my games are done in browns and greys and full of demons and blood. I like these whimsical ones

Ditto.... If/when the bugs get resolved in this game I'll definitely be giving this a second whirl since I enjoy the games with this type of quirky, adventure-heavy theme [albeit generally speaking overdone, yet if it is WELL done in THIS game, yay!]

Also, I, personally truly appreciate HUMAN VOICE ACTING in the games I play [lip synced or not] VERSUS digitalized fake speech that many games are now incorporating. Further, I found the artwork\graphics to be quite nice.

I don't enjoy all the hand holding more recent games insist on so I'd rather have less instruction than more, so that's not an issue for me either.

In the meantime, I'll definitely keep this in my SE 'future purchase' list.

BTW, as far as I am aware, most anyone can 'beta' games via links online [typically You Tube connection].

Happy gaming.

Go to: